April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Esma

If we want to help those affected by Swine Flu in Mexico, are there any funds/charities set up for this?

2. Steve - southern Illinois

I've always liked Arlen Specter and have mistaken him for a Democrat in the past. He is my newest hero for crossing over and for beating cancer!!

3. Stephanie

Why is Swine Influenza worse than seasonal influenza....if symptoms are similar and treatment similar also?

Thanks!

4. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson glad to see your post tonight i agree how fast germs can be spread like keyboars, phones pay phones really raise the yuck factor.

5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why the change of heart by Specter? To save his own political neck. He knew he could not win against Toomey in the Republican primary.

6. Melody

Is there a "season" associated with Swine Flu as with more common Flu virus'

7. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Erica! Hi Anderson! That piece Randi Kaye did about germs on the subway was freaky. if someone sneezes it will start a stampede!

8. Drew

Hey, as a high school student in a somewhat rural town in Northern California, should I be worried?

9. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I made it home for lunch just in time to see Senator Specter's press conference this afternoon. It made my day! I don't care what his reasons are glad to have him over here on our side! 🙂

10. vickie

Why are health officials telling public not to wear masks? Masks are being used by health professionals, and those in Mexico,ie Dr. Gupta.
    If a sneeze releases thousands of droplets, would masks not be beneficial as a barrier?

11. Jabneel Clermont Florida

Should we take percaution immediately as we get sick now or to not panic of what could be a normal cold or flu ?

12. Rebekah

i was only in New York for a week a little bit ago and i could barely stand riding the subway because of all the ick-factor. i don't know how everybody who rides subways can do it.

an increase in fatalities from the swine flu in an HOUR. just w-o-w.

13. Sheeners

I know Randi Kaye's piece tried to tread that fine line between informative and alarmist, but I think it tended towards alarmist. But maybe that's because I'm already a germophobe riding the 6 every day to work. Maybe those more careless about hand-washing will see it differently.

14. Ursula

Also, I was concerned about my pup, so I emailed the CDC to find out if dogs can catch Swine Flu and/or they can be carriers? No info to support. However, seems like zoonotic diseases may be carried by birds. Trying to find the link (sorry didn't bookmark it 🙁

15. Carol

Quarantine! - if we're serious about containing this virus, why not implement traditional quarantines, so people are required to stay home until their illness is over. Voluntary won't do it.

16. Wayne Klumpp

Just returned from Mexico, wife got sick and was checked for flu and was neg. I have sore throat cough but no temp. What are the symptoms I need to watch for. I was in Playa el carmen Mexico south of Cancun. How long after being infected can I develop symptoms?

17. Lex

Swine flu question.
    I am a triathlete. I will be participating in a triathlon in an area affected by the swine flu. Do I need to be worried about swimming with others in a lake? As you swim, water definitely gets in your nose and mouth. Should I be worried about this?

18. Jose Luis Hernandez

My question about the Swine Flu is... Why are pople dying in Mexico but not in the United States?

19. Vicki, Florida

I don't understand why this is a bigger deal than the regular flu which kills thousands every year. Isn't everyone making a bid deal out of something that always exists. For most people, if they didn't go to the Dr and get tested (so they know they have it) they would just feel sick, get better, and move on.

20. Rafael Bronx,NY

159 in Mexico died of the Swine Flu. These numbers are rising very fast.

21. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I'm glad more is being learned about the origin of the swine flu virus. The crisis is alarming–I hope you are all staying safe.
    –With the focus on Pres Obama continually, it is a surprise today to hear of a Repubican, Sen. Spector, switching to the Democratic party. It's his personal choice–it's good he's adjusting in his way to the current political climate.
    I'm looking forward to your 100 Days coverage.

22. Zaid

I live in San Diego and being that we are so close in proximity to Mexico and that we have hundreds who cross the border to work in the US. What measures are we taking at the border crossings?

23. David Mitchell

I was just watching your broad cast and I was struck by the comment that germs are the enemy. This sort of statement is unfortunate because it propogates fear. Contact with germs is necessary for a healthy immune system and elimating all contact with germs would be bad for your heatlh as well.

David Mitchell Moreno Valley CA

24. Maureen T, Canada

Too many dying of this flu.

25. Cindy

Now that you think you've found "ground zero" with the little boy, how/who contracted the flu from him? His family didn't get it, so they didn't take it outside the home. The boy must've stayed home sick. How did it go from their house to the United States to overseas? Please explain pan-epidemic.
    Thank-you
    Cindy

26. Halli R.

Good Evening Everyone!

I think it is so facinatating that such a simple organism can be so complex!

@ Dr. Gupta: How come there have been so many deaths in Mexico yet none so far, I think, through out the rest of the world?

Stay Safe Everyone!

27. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

The media coverage is awesome! Its a global concern so need to be in every news feed every hour!

28. Krasi, Houston, TX

@Jo Ann, you are right about people needing to wash their hands and cover their mouths when sneezing/coughing. Good manners have not been lost hopefully.

29. Gary

How many have died in the U.S.? Is this because of our failing health care system?

30. Jean-Jacques Lalou

I'm planiing a week vacation in Los Cabos (Mexico) from 05/05/2009
    to 05/12/2009 Los Cabos is far away from Mexico City but meanwhile
    I would like to know if it's safe to go there on a direct flight from Houston,Tx and back.
    Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Rgds
    J.J. Lalou

31. Laura

As an American living abroad in a town on the northern edge of Mexico City, I just thought I'd share that I am not worried about my health. The city was not shut down this past weekend, although now with restaurants, bars, and movie theaters closed the streets are bit empty. I've heard that the mayor of DF has asked the federal government to stop the public transportation system (I'm not sure if this is true) and if this happens, the city will grind to a halt as many people, including myself, rely on pubic transportation to move about. Since not many people have actually died from this flu (remember Mexico City has 20 million people), this move would be overly drastic and a huge inconvenience.

32. mark

why have they not closed the borders, i live in Canada and say close the borders

33. Jose Lujan

Why has there not been mass killing of infected animals like they did in asia with the bird flu?

34. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

You must wash your hands after hanging on to the railing on the subway as a NYC passanger said on the news about germs.

35. steven

as a nurse i'm scared what happens when the hospitals fill up we already have a national bed shortage were are we going to put all these patients. if they open mobile hospitals were will they get the nurses to staff them, we have a national nursing shortage. after talking with nurses at work many of them will stay home with there families why risk bringing this home to there kids......

36. Mark

Do you expect this flu strain to follow seasonal trends? If so, why is it peaking this late in the season?

37. Madeline

I live in California and was wondering if you could be more specific about where the confirmed cases in California are. It's a big state, so it woudl be nice to knwo if it is close... Madeline

38. Jenn, Stanwood WA

Dr. Gupta,

One of my customers at Starbucks came in this morning and said she's boosting her system with lots of Vitamin D in order to prevent swine flu. Is this an over-the-top reaction or should others consider taking Vitamin D as a precaution?

~ Jenn

39. Ira, Bklyn NY

how long will the virus H1N1 live on an object such as a computer keyboard, door handle, etc...????

40. Rob, Ohio, no in Mexico City

Hello I am here in Mexico City...leaving for Cleveland on Thursday....seems here in Mexico they are taking every precaution...no schools, no churches, no extra activities, parks closed, bars are closed, most restaurants are closed or at best take out only...about 40% of people wearing masks....seems serious...wondering if I will have difficulties coming back to the US or if I should do something special when I return.

41. Lauren--NY

Yes, there are germs everywhere. They are supposed to be. That's how we build up our immune systems. Exposure to germs is actually a positive thing for that reason, which is why our Purell-soaked children might suffer later. Remember, there is such thing as killing "good bacteria," too. Some exposure to germs is necessary.

The odds of these germs making you significantly ill are very small. You're frightening people unnecessarily.

42. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@David Gergen. Never heard of Club for Growth. Is it religious based? Arlen Spector's comments leading up to today, and today, are very telling. He's fed up and I agree. The Republican party has been hijacked by a niche societal segment that would be better served by the creation of a third party. The Republican party, of which I used to belong, is so confused about who it is and what it wants to be that there is no clear focus.

43. Steve - southern Illinois

@Kriss – You asked exactly what I am wanting to hear about - the anti-bacterial soaps and germ-x stuff, etc...

44. cindy woodland

Hi, I am worried tonight, I have a 15yr old son with cerebral palsy and epilepsy, he is g-tube fed only and today we found out there are 4 cases of swine flu in the area we live in, the Greater Toronto area. My son goes to school and I worry if he got exposed would he be able to survive it so my question is, how do the doctors feel about medically fragile kids surviving the swine flu???

45. Ellie - Montreal

Hi! Could it be swine flu if one has all the symptoms except for the fever?

Thanks...

46. Salena

I am traveling to NYC next week. How concerned should I be?

April 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Tom

What do you do if you experience flu like symptoms?

April 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Erica...me too! Though being germ-a-phobic...it doesn't take much to gross me out! 🙂

April 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Corrina Ore City, Texas

Is very concerned about the swine flu. Back in the 1970's wasnt the swine flu here then, here in the us.

April 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Vito Pavone

Why is the swine flu such a problem when every year thousands die from "regular" flu

April 28, 2009 at 10:18 pm |