April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gary

David, the Obama administration is handling this well because it is NOT a major problem.

2. Fere

Hi Anderson! Why are people dying in Mexico from this (swine flu) but not in the US? Are health officials expecting this to mutate?

3. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

When i talked about this at work tonight in refrence to eating in resteraunts cause you never know hoe food could be contaimated they scoffed at me and said this was over blown the swine flu was over reaction gon over board.

4. Richard

Is there any information on the tourist destinations? We had a trip planned for Cancun and Playa del Carmen in 2 weeks. We seem to be hearing only about Mexico City.

5. Sherry, N. Calif.

@Mike in Syracuse-This could be the one! Scary, hey?

I think we all need to use pre-cautionary steps because we do not know. Therefore fear sets in of the unknown (kind a like like Obama) and then big "freakout." I think panic is not neccessary but caution is. Crystal ball was broken for the Republicans because they cut funding out for flu vaccine as they did for the COPS program. Glad to see the House voted it back in last week. Keeps more police on the streets for the next five years.

6. Jen in Mex

Tamiflu is longer available over the counter as per 3 days ago. Only available with a prescription but I heard that local private hospitals have bought up all the local supply.

7. Sarah in Vermont

No one has said what works to disinfect things we touch like keyboards or even ATM machines. What works? Lysol? Please tell us.

8. Esma

@ David Gergen-Specter's switch will certainly help the Dems in being filibuster-proof, but I'm still in shock. I keep thinking it's a trap.

9. andersoncnn

welcome bloggers.. thanks for joining us tonite... that piece on the subway about how germs was spread was kind of eye opening.

10. Zachary Zolides

This outbreak is making me paranoid considering the fact that i have a sick classmate

11. Beverly Godwin

They say fever over 100 is a strong sign of this flu. My normal dailey temp is actually 97.3 and NOT 98.6. Does this mean that if I have a temp of 99, I should worry?

12. David Finn

Hi Anderson,

I'm very curious how Sanjay Gupta feels about domestic US air travel at the moment. My mother and two sisters are scheduled to fly from Miami to visit me in San Francisco, tomorrow, 4/29. There are layovers in Texas and NY. I want them to wear a mask on the plane. One of my sisters is scared enough (both of direct risk from the virus and of getting stranded if things get worse and they do shut down air travel) that she is strongly considering xling the trip. How should I advise them?

Thanks,

David

13. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

@David I really think it's strange to suddenly change their ideology in public like Specter. He should have hinted at this change because now it seems like he was either bribed into this or he's not completely honest with himself.

14. Amy

What are the side effects of using Tamiflu?

15. Gary Newcomer

I'm part of a large group (13 people) "supposed" to leave for Cancun this Saturday. Please explain why this particular flu is worse than the A or B virus that typically kills thousands worldwide every year. Thank You!

16. Michelle - Ohio

I was wondering if it is possible to be a carrier of the Swine Flu, but not have any symptoms? If so, this could potential have a much more devastating outcome.

17. Teresa

Is anyone looking at illegal Mexican immigrants that are coming into the country that may have the Swine Flu? Also, if you catch the Swine Flu and survive it, can you catch it again? In essence, does your immune system build a defense against the virus after you catch it the first time?

18. Nattada, Houston TX

Whow..the spread from a sneeze is so yucky. Did you use sanitizer after the shooting, Randi? 🙂

Thank you whoever invented sanitizer.

19. ericacnn

i am officially grossed out after randi's piece, but very well informed. i knew my daily subway commute could be a little nasty, but that was some serious confirmation!

20. KT

This strain is a combination of avian, human and swine viruses. Does this mean the avian virus, until now probably not spread human to human is on the loose? Also, can the avian part if this brew mutate and go out on its own and be spread human to human?

21. Vanessa, TX

@David Gergen does this "switching" sides like Sen Specter happen too often?

22. Jonathan De Luna, Miami - FL

How can we differentiate a regular flu from the so called "swine flu"?

23. Krasi, Houston, TX

I agree with the comments on the hype growing out of proportion. Office door handles, subway seats and other such public access surfaces are always germ-infested. I don't quite see why this is making it worse.

24. tiffany

I just want to know why all the news channels are scaring everyone but then telling them not to panic. They are the ones causing the panic!!

25. Rebekah

@Jasmine – same here... i tried to explain about it to my friends but they didn't really try to understand. ridiculous.

uck! i'm already a bit of a germophobe and after i watched Randi's report... it got a little worse >.< thank god for portable hand sanitizer!!

26. maria

Why are doctors so hesitant to do the test, my son has been sick since thursday,a doctors office visit then referred to emergency room and then another doctor visit which is now testing my son. why are they not testing more people. i just dont understand .
    thanks

27. andrea, nj

Dr gupta. I heard that this virus can live on wet surfaces for three days. Is it true?

28. Anthonia-california

Its so crazy that the virus can spread so easily to common people, thats why its good to have miniature hand sanitizers around all the time.

29. Janie

After a month of working in Puebla, Mexico, my husband is returning to the US later this week.. Although he currently has no symptoms of Swine Flu, are there any precautions he should take such as seeing his family physician before being reunited with his family?

30. DawnMD

I traveled to Mexico City about 6 weeks ago and was there for about a day and a half.
    I felt fine while there but became ill within 24 hours after returning.

Although i did not get medical treatment, I believe I may have had "swing flu'.
    I was very ill for about two weeks with flu-like symptoms including; fever, watery eyer, sneezing, coughing and severe sinus problems.

I have had the flu before but never experienced anything like this before.
    I applaud Dr, Gupta for his superlative reporting; glad he is with CNN
    Also enjoy Anderson Cooper and so many others at CNN.
    Regards,
    Dawn

31. tom perez

A question for Sanjay. Could the high levels of pollution in Mexico City ( that are not present in US cities ) be contributing to the high mortality rate in Mexico City versus the USA ?. The people there must have weakened respiritoty systems because of the constant onslaught to their lungs from one of the most polluted cities in the world. This could be a factor in why we are not seeing so deaths so far outside of Mexico and especially Mexico City.

32. Vanessa, TX

eww..I since have become a germaphobe..at work ppl can be sooo gross..I carry hand sanitizer all the time!

33. starr formerly known as vincent

Randi Kaye

Thank you for your excellent report! As a retired RN, i know that most people do not know how virus are transmitteed. Or how important it is to use a handkerchief and your elbow to cover sneezes and coughs.

Thanks again!

34. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Anderson and Erica

I think the swine flu is horrible and that cute lttle boy who got it first recoverd thank god. I hope gets cured soon

@ Anderson are you still on thise-mail or did you switch to twtiter?

35. Kevin

My14 year old son was sock for several days a week ago. How do you know if some has/had the swine flu?

36. Doug Block

could the spread of the flu in new york spread at church services because of sharing wine from the cup that all of the peolpe share when they drink wine at a chatholic mass.

37. Dustin J. Mitchell

Did she just say a sneeze travels at 100,000 miles per hour? That's off by several orders of magnitude!

38. Rosemary

Since this new strain of H1N1 is an amalgam of swine, bird, and human viruses, is it possible that the difference in mortality and morbidity between the United States and Mexico be related to the yearly influenza vaccination? Perhaps this is the reason people are surviving in the United States?

Rosemary W, Medical Student, Fort Worth, TX

39. barbara

I understand that Tamiflu is a class C drug and not safe for pregnant women. Are there additional risks for pregnant women and how can they be treated?

40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

And people wonder why I'm mysophobic! I have 2 kinds of hand sanitizer with me everywhere I go! And on my desk at work and I don't let anyone use my keyboard...Its stories like this that make me glad that I'm a little crazy about it!

41. Daniel Cunningham

I am praying that this doesn't get as bad as I think it will. I also hope I don't have to wear a mask in public, people look so silly. It would be nice if they closed my gym then I have an excuse not to go. 🙂

This subway story is scary. 24hrs these germs, ugh, gross. Plus you have to hold on or you will fall. GERMS everywhere.

42. Esma

Re: Germ footage– Ewwwwwwww. I'm using my hand sanitizer just watching this!!!

43. Dean

The WHO is now calling this virus the North American Influenza virus. Why are you still calling it swine flu? If it came from swine, tests would be proving it already.

44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, I have a feeling all the hype about swine flu has something to do with pushing Obama's plan for health care reform through Congress, but that has become a lot easer now that Specter has joined the Dems.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Imani

Just some quick question Mr. Cooper, should we be concerned with purchasing any pork products from our local grocery store? What is the likelihood that this flu could reach to the midwest? What steps will we need to take if that happens? Thank you.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba

This is scary and disgusting!

Tips:
    – Use disposable tissue paper, please;
    – It is important that the home is airy and receive the sunlight, because these measures help to eliminate the possible agents of respiratory infections.
    – Clean hands with soap and water after coughing or sneezing (the poor guy who sneeze and cough should also wash their hands).

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. jaxon

For Dr. Gupta,
    we know about the fly hordes at La Gloria, the spraying, the government saying it wasn't flu because there IS no flu - comment on flies as vectors? Smithfield was the one which polluted the river flowing to the Chesapeak, huge fine - why should we believe anything they say gieven their history?

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Solei

Hi I am an emergency medicine doctor. Many patients present with flu like symptoms on a daily basis. What are the recommendations for Tamiflu and other agents for a "well-appearing" patient who likely has a virus, but could potentially have the SWINE FLU?

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Randi Kaye's story is just disgusting. Informative, but gag!

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Donald

It is great that Mexico City has shutdown many public places. However, wouldn't it be a better idea to shutdown the subways? After all, over 5,000,000 people use it daily, and people are in close contact with each other.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |