April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michelle, CT

Seeing the dramatic sneeze reenactment on the subway was an incredible end to my day. Thank you.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Samantha M.

wow thats disturbing. I wonder how uncomfortable all those people felt in the subway.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Terry Shay

The University of Delaware just issued a health bulletin on their website and via their phone notification system that four university students have been identified as having Influenza and that they show similar traits as those found in the Swine Flu. This took place about 30 minutes ago.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Matt

Hello Anderson and Dr. Gupta,

How do you receive treatment if you do not have health insurance? Are people without insurance more at risk of not receiving the proper treatment compared to those with it?

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Just wrap me in plastic wrap or shoot me.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

Ha! Right on, Randi! I just got home and the guy next to me on the subway sneezed twice!! I held my breath for as long as I could.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Krasi, Houston, TX

Riding the rails in NY posits many potential so-called dangers; you don't need a swine flu warning hanging in the air.

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Duane

Dose anyone know how many people in Mexico have the swine flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Lori from IL

Time to "dig deeper" - on the hog farm in Mexico. I was raised on a farm and we farrowed and raised hogs (many years ago). If the swine flu was on the farm - they would have lost a large number of animals and their vet would know.

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. kathy

i have a 22 year old daughter who is chronically ill. she is a severe asthmatic and only has one lung.i am very concerned about her contracting the swine flu and i would like to know what extra precautions if any can i take to protect her from contracting this illness which could be life threatening to her

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Kriss - Washington, DC

Nearly all work places, shopping malls and restaurants use antibacterial soaps in their restrooms. Supermarkets sell antibacterial soap products for the home. These products have been proved to kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. Can you please clarify this? It seems counterproductive to ensure hands are washed - but with soap that kills the good germs, too. Thanks.

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Louise

Once a person has recovered from Swine Flu, are they immune to catching it again?

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Craig Markley

I think that the Gov should close all borders for Now..and all should wear maks. Im making my wife and wear them.and im not getting with in 10ft from any one that looks lke there sick..

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Robert Flynn

Anderson,

I believe its time that the federal government not just issue travel warnings, but travel restrictions to and from Mexico. We can only solve a problem when we steer away from the central issue, or where it started. The swine flu pandemic is sure to spread, and unfortunately cause fatalities. We need to get serious, and fast.

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. George Moore

why are you saying swine flu started in veracuse mexico and bbc says oxhaca mexico!

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, everyone. I'm glad they found patient 0 in La Gloria but mainly I'm glad he's allright and recovering. For some reason its amazing he's such a young child. A friendly cheerful little guy. Thank God he's ok.

Yes it's good that the senate confirmed HHS Sec. Kathleen Sebelius. The President need an HHS Sec. in case of urgent health situations like this. How soon will she start filling some of those Asst and Undersecretary positions?

Reassuring to hear Dr. Gupta and crew are being cautious and taking all the necessary precautions.

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. John P

Evening Anderson, Erica, ....scary! as if we Americans need more problems! question: If that sweet little boy already fully recovered, how can we take care of the others who are currently sick? why are we still concern about death??

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Robert Baker

How can Smithfield categorically deny any connection just because they vaccinate their pigs. Everyone knows there is not universal influenza vaccine. Have they determined that the vaccines they are using are effective against this flu. Stop giving them a pass.

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. David Gergen

Hello everyone - This swine flu crisis presents not only serious challenges for our public health officials, educators, and others - but also for the President and his administration. How well do you think he has handled this outbreak?

And what do you think about Arlen Specter's spectacular switch? To me, it is partly about the way Republicans have allowed conservative groups such as Club for Growth to bring down Republican moderates like Specter in primary battles - and it is also a credit to President Obama and his campaign in persuading some 200,000 Republicans in Pa. to leave their party and sign up as Democrats. Mr. Obama has set about building a big tent - and it is working for him. What do you think?

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Lauren--NY

I'm with Jo Ann tonight. I was fine with the coverage last night because I thought it was balanced, but with statements like "Expect Americans to die," it is now becoming ridiculous. The hype is completely out of proportion with what is actually happening.

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. alex

I find that the media is doing a mass scare, there are more than 12 million people in Mexico city alone 156 deaths? That's what .001 % Truth please

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Jabneel

lets say someone in my family is getting a cold or flu, we live in florida should we be concerned or would it just be a cold

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Morten Sten Andersen

How long can the virus typically "survive" outside a human body, i.e. on the surface of an object etc.?

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Don Davis

Dr. Gupta,
    My daughter-in-law has plans to visit her mother in Sinaloa state late next week. How much of a risk do you think will she be taking?
    Don

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Greg, Austin Tx

Once this outbreak subsides, what's to stop it from occurring again? There are pig farms everywhere all over the world. If something happens once, it can happen again.

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Brody

Why the scare? According to CDC 36000 people die each year in the
    US from "regular" flu. Shouldn't we worry about that??

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Daniel Cunningham

I'm am praying that this doesn't get as bad as I think it will. I also hope I don't have to wear a mask in public, people look so silly. It would be nice if they closed my gym then I have an excuse. 🙂

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Janine from PA.

Hello Mr. Cooper and the beat 360 team.
    I guess Dr. Gupta knows how to prevent himself from giving the swine flu to his family after his travels, what about the rest of us? Is there a tamiflu shortage yet?

April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Russ

Very good program tonight about the swine flu. Dr. Sanjay Gupta is really good and 360 is doing a public service by covering it so carefully. It sure beats listening to all those political opinion shows all the time. Thanks to 360 for informing us with facts.

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Liv Waldorf

How badly is this going to hurt the Mexican economy?

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba

@ BettyAnn

I agree! Where is the mask of Dr. Gupta?

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Monica M. Williams

Sharp dressed Man Anderson, : )

Thank you for last night’s show. I found it insightfully relevant. Facts not Fear. It’s what we all needed.

Regarding Swine Flu: I’m intrigued by the origins of this bug. The how, where, what of it. I’m looking forward to hearing more of Dr. Gupta’s findings.

Not to sound like a nerb… biology is fascinating.

Have a good evening.

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Dr. Gupta and the crew are in La Gloria, Mexico!

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm certain the First Lady's reference to herself as a descendant of slaves will ruffle some feathers, if not quite a few–especially in less-enlightened areas of the country.

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  35. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

If a black woman is first lady and a black man is the President, then maybe it is time to quit talking about race issues?

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Rafael Bronx,NY

So the boy recovered 100% from the swine flu. That good news........... so many more people will get cured from this awful disease.

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Miss J

Arlen Spector switching parties – another sign for the GOP to ignore

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Sherry, N. Calif.

Good Eve to all,
    Dr. Gupta has it! The keyword I got was "containment."

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Everyone keeps saying cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands all of the time, isn't that something people should be doing all of the time? In my house that is called good manners and normal hygiene.

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Saera El Paso, TX

@Rafael Bronx,NY – i believe doctors are perscribing Tamiflu. people are surviving this diesease

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! It's sad to hear today that there are even more confirmed cases of swine flu. I feel bad for the country of Mexico. Between the drug cartels and now the swine flu, no one is going to want to visit the country. Their economy is going to suffer if it hasn't already.

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

Enjoying Dr. Gupta's report from Mexico. Always find his reporting very informative.

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Esma

Do the masks really help? Microbes are so, well, um, microscopic, I'd imagine lots of maintenance (hand and mucous membranes washing) would be a better defense. Then again, I'm not a doctor.

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Glad that you have Dr. Sanjay Gupta -CNN Medical Correspondent. He's the reliable, expert guy for this new medical dilemma.

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Krasi, Houston, TX

I'm not going to lie. The fact that Dr. Gupta is there covering the story on such a potentially deathly disease makes me feel a little hopeful that maybe this won't turn out as bad as many expect it to.

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  46. Maureen T, Canada

Dr. Sanjay Gupta is a great doctor and I admire him for putting himself in harm's way. Quite the trooper...Cheers to Dr. Gupta!

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  47. Jennifer

@ Anthonia . Yes there are 4 ( I think ) In B.C , 2 in Alberta and 2 in Toronto.

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Rebekah

@Mike in Syracuse – it's a new strain of the flu and it's spreading quickly and it seems like it also makes you sicker faster

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Michael M-Wilson

Hey Anderson

I have a question.

My question is, has the virus been isolated from swines to call the outbreak swine flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@BettyAnn, it seems to be getting better. The containment efforts are truly admirable compared to what has been seen in the past.

April 28, 2009 at 10:09 pm |