April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kelly

I'm an American living in Mexico City. We're not worried. Mexicans have a tendency to self-medicate, bc they can't afford to go to the doctor. As the new flu strain seems to be responding to anti-virals, we're focusing on prevention and protection.
    Please come to visit Mexico when you can – especially the beach towns, which have not been hit by much flu. The tourism is very good for Mexico.

April 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Derrick Ryan

I am currently in Tapachula, Mexico with the Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program (I have been here since August, 2008) and am finding it increasingly more difficult to find essential supplies such as water. Yesterday I went to over fourteen phamacies in search of face masks for my roommate and I–there are none. The university I teach at, like all schools in Mexico, has suspended classes until May 6th. I have a chronic condition that requires medication and have been receiving my medication from friends who ship it to me from my hometown, Washington, DC– Do you think that international postal services will be slowed due to the Swine Flu?

Thanks,

Derrick Ryan
    Tapachula, Chiapas, México

April 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Rebekah

hahahaha loved the Beat 360 tonite. brought a smile to my face in the midst of all this brow-furrowing, worrisome news. thank you AC360 =D

April 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Bob Rodert

Experts today said that the new flu (was swine)is no longer related to pigs and is now known as the H1N1 flu. So how were the original diseases acquired if not from pigs? Why was it initially called swine? Maybe they really don't know for sure but they don't want it called the swine flu anymore.

April 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Eliezer Almonte

Good evening Mr. Cooper, Here in the Dominican Republic have had suspictions of a possible swine flu case prominent from a girl from Mexico, thanks for your patience.

April 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

today the rumor of an infected student in my college made the rounds....i hope it's only the rumor that'll circulate.

7. Anthonia-california

Im so proud of Michelle Obama for doing an outstanding job for being the first lady 🙂

8. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson, you stated" i dont understand why people think they can get away with driving stolen trucks"? I'm asking the same thing with the gorilla!

9. Jacqueline, NY

Goodnight darlings!

10. Nattada, Houston TX

Why was the driver on the back of his truck anyway? Was he just took a break on a good weather day,a nd out on a sun?

11. Alex

I am supposed to travel to Dominican Republic on Thursday......Do you think its safe or should I cancel and stay put?

12. Holly Mintz

Do you think the swine flu will impact the economy?

13. Jack Eckdahl

We are hearing a lot about swine flu and approx 159 deaths, but according to cnn reports "regular flu" has killed 13,000 since january. What is different about swine flu and why isn't "regular flu" getting any air time? Most have been elderly, but does that make them less important? thanks, Jack

14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Have a restful and peaceful night, everyone!

15. Vanessa, TX

Goodnight Anderson, Erica, smartees, Eduardo Henri (Ed Henry)....
    have a good nite, enjoy your evening everyone!

16. Rocky

The story about the firefighters being discriminated against is what I want to comment on. Why are they using the term "Reverse Discrimination?" Are they saying that blacks are the only ones who should be discriminated against, not whites? Discrimination is discrimination no matter what race you are.

Rocky

17. LisaL - Canada

luv big trucks – too bad it was a runaway (poor driver)!

18. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

if I trusted the person behind the wheel, i totally would be on the back of that truck

April 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Goodnight sweet tweet people! I love all you AC/360 bloggers! XO

April 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Miss J

I guess that chase was so incredible it got Anderson tongue tied!

April 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. carole

my daughter went to the doctor today with a sore throat,and flu like symptoms .She did have a fever when when she first got sick. they prescribed the z-pack. why wasn't she tested for swine flu. how do they determine who gets tested.

thanks

April 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Cessy, Chicago

Smuggling Gorillas? that's a first!

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. jerry butitta

i have never had a flu vac and dont need 1. havent had the flu since i was 10, 35 yrs ago. go figure.

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Animal trafficking is sick! Poor little gorilla Stupid human!

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Mike

Please calm down, there is no reason to believe that this flu strain is any any more virulent then the normal influenza we see every year.

In fact... I would say as we speak more people are dying from the non "swine flu" version.

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. donna

I live in Kansas and hope to travel to China in a few weeks. I heard that they are cutting back on travel entry from US and especially in states that have identified cases of the swine flu. Any advice on how I –and other international travelers–get to the truth?

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Rebekah

i've gotta say, i love Michelle Obama. i'm so happy that people are taking such notice of her. she's a great role-model.

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Krasi, Houston, TX

I can only imagine the intense flashback this plane caused in many people.

April 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  29. john

Just notified by University of Delaware – 4 cases swine flu confirmed on campus.

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba

Tomorrow is the 100th day of President Obama.
    Will the flu take the shine out of the moment?

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Steve - southern Illinois

Global warming, crashing economy, pandemics... when should we expect the locusts to arrive?

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Godfred Ansong

Supreme court case on CT Fire Fighters:

I just saw this article on AC360 and want to say that court has a precedent in this area.

The court has said that affirmative actions are geered towards EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND NOT EQUAL RESULTS.

The court is more likely to say that fire fighters from all races were given equal opportunity to take the test. The reults of the test don't matter.

Who knows, maybe the court might reverse itself and overturn precedent.

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  33. lisa griffiths - Australia

Has there been any comments or data collected regarding how many of the swine flu infected having had annual flu immunisation shots?

I would be interested in knowing how is this year's batch of flu immunisation standing up against this?

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  34. starr formerly known as vincent

I am truly awed by Michele Obama at times. She is honest, well spoken and seems genuine in every way.....it's been a very long time since we have had a 1st Lady that exemlifies all of these qualities and so many more!

Michele Obama rocks!

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Justin

What is the main difference between this and the regular flu? I was commenting to my girlfriend last week how everyone in our area of Southern California seemed to be sick. Not a resident of Southern California for long, I wondered last week if it were the winds.

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. john

is the swine flu in newfoundland, canada yeat?

April 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Anthony

Even though the masks are supposed to help, if you really think about it, aren't they doing more harm than good? Those masks aren't very comfortable, probably causing people to touch their face more often! That's worse!

38. cicly

after careful concideration of all the facts last night, and of course not wanting to act in haste or seem to be panicky in my decision, i chose to keep my kid home... when i talked to the principal,she understood and said it was my decision. i will keep her home tomorrow too. no masks, just common sense. if a kid comes from holiday in mexico into your kids' class, without knowing her health status, i think keeping my kid home was the common sense thing to do... thanks for listening.

39. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Excellent story on the First Lady's firs 100 days! I think she is doing an phenomenal job! And I can't wait for the report card tomorrow! 🙂

40. Michael

I'm glad that doctors are becoming so proactive regarding this flu. I went in with similar symptoms and had to endure a very invasive and painful nasal swab, but luckily came back negative. To all the social workers out there that work with transient and immigrant populations...be careful.

41. beth

Isn't this the 2nd time specter has switched parties?

42. nathon smith

i'm all about fairness, but make sure everything is fair. then no problem

43. Tim Lully

To Mila, CDC ask that you do not take Tamilflu as a prevention for the swine flu. This flu has A,B,and C strains. A and B have vaccines but C does not. Don't panic.

44. David, Indiana

@Jolene, good question about the WHO and CDC. I had not heard, though I live in Indiana about the student at Notre Dame, and it is odd that the student as you noted is said not to have travelled outside campus and yet he still has the flu.

David Gergen, you said it. Arlen Specter's becoming a Democrat was a lightning bolt. That does work out for President Obama, but I do worry about how that works for the Republicans.

Anderson, Question about public health measures in Mexico. Are restaurant only open for take out in Mexico City or throughout Mexico?

45. David S.

I planned to spend my birthday next weekend in Cabo San Lucas at an exclusive resort. Everything is paid for and I was looking forward to it. Now, because of the Swine flu, I am not sure what to do. The resort assured me that it's far away from the affected areas and it's safe to come. So, I have a dilemma...

46. Patti

I live in Cozumel Mx. about 60 miles away from Cancun. We have no reports of Swine Flu in our entire state so I we are all really surprised to hear about people returning from Cancun who have contracted the Flu.

47. Maureen T, Canada

Michelle Obama is one classy lady!

48. Rich

Michelle Obama is a very good first lady........her visit to a young black girls school in England was touching! She has an element of Princess Diana.

49. Michelle Zuanich

Thanks for the anatomy of a sneeze. Please encourage viewers if they do sneeze or cough, it is best to cough into your arm, rather than hands, for reasons you stated.

Michelle

50. Diana

read article bird flu and flu of 1918 rapidly destroys vitamin 'c' like scurvy causing death. I personaly know a woman 90 years old who survived 1918 flu by eatin g an orange every hour for 10 hours each day.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12