April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nick, Toronto

@Jonathan Wilson because there are only 64 'confirmed' cases. There are many more 'suspected' – but require testing to confirm. There is only one place they can do that in the US, I believe its in Atlanta.

April 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Mike, Syaracuse, NY

@George, well said. Every promotion in every position should be due to merit. If some 'disadvantaged' group can't measure up, perhaps the group needs to examine their decisions and group culture prior to that point. How often are blacks who are great students ridiculed for 'acting white'? You can legislate equal opportunity but not equal ability.

April 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Erin-Congratulations on your new marriage!

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Sherry, N. Calif.

I think the validity in what Michelle Obama said today was very deserving of every American woman whether they are white or black. We all have a reason to be proud. It was a great moment in history. "YES" we can!

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba

Michelle Obama is a common women that could pass unnoticed by history.

But she is the exception. She is intelligent, honest, proactive, fun, successful, friendly, human, excellent companion, determined.

She played key role in the campaign of her husband and probably she will have a significant influence in his chair.

Ah, she is admired by her husband, which today, is difficult … lol …

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Tom

How focused is swine flu in Mexico? Is the density highest near Mexico City or is it more uniformly spread across the country?

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Maureen T, Canada

The Obamas are everyday people! I love them!

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Esma

I love Michelle Obama, I can't wait for the next 100 days!

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  9. May going to Disneyland

I am planning a trip to Disneyland with my two kids next week. In light of recent developments, do you think it is safe to go to Anaheim/San Diego?

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I love our first lady!

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Karen -milhealth

There are quite a few service men and women rotating in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan for mid tour leaves (R&R), including my son. I'm concerned soldiers/service can get exposed to the virus, take it back with them overseas and get a lot of military and 'good' people sick.
    thanks!!
    Karen Proud 82nd ABN Mom!)

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Isabel Siaba

great photos of the first family!

April 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Styephen–I'd like to know the same thing (in better detail than what I've heard). My instinct is "yes," as it would be with just about anything.

April 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Gary Newcomer

You've just stated, 25,000 to 35,000 deaths every year from the flu. Why all the concern and/or hype over this virus? Why stay home and not travel to Cancun?

Gary from Kettering Ohio

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Kevin

Can the swine flu affect people of all ages?

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. LisaL - Canada

i would imagine that families who are geographically separated due to this flu are both impatient and frustrated.

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Jonathan Wilson

The person hwho dropped the ball on the fly over should have this deducted from his or her pay. Perhaps the citizens of NY City could sue for mental distress.

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Amy Lee

Influenza has a reputation for "shift and drift" mutations. Is there a possibility that swine flu could mutate and cause antiviral drugs the government has stockpiled to be ineffective?

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Laura Stokowski

Someone needs to tell people that the masks they are using/buying/making are useless....they offer no protection at all, and worse, they are giving a false sense of security.

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Sylvia

My husband will be returning to the U.S. after having been in Mexico City for a week. Three of those days were spent in a hospital visting his brother who just died of cancer. I do not have a spleen and am concerrned he could give the swine flu to me. Should I not have any contact with him until we are sure he does not have the swine flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Manda

My mother has Crohn's disease and is on immunosuppressive drugs. What, if any, extra precautions should we take as a family?

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Margie

Should we be concerned about the swine flu impacting our destination wedding planned for Dana Point, CA at the end of May ? Our guests are coming from all over the US and from Korea.

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Eric

How long will the swine flu last?

April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Miss J

All this swine flu talk is going to make my brain explode... and then it won't even matter if I catch it then.

April 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. jsr0025

Re: New Haven Firefighter promotion story

Total reverse discrimination just like college and university acceptance. Its time to reverse Affirmative Action. Move on people...the White House has!

April 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Cessy, Chicago

seriously, if there is anyone planning to go on vacation to any of the reported states and countries mentioned of having swine flu...just cancel it. its not worth taking the risk, just risking more people...

April 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Carrie

Due to fly to Cancun in 3 weeks for 20th wedding anniversary. Very torn, do we still go or cancel the trip? Very confused about what is being said by Media, Airlines, etc.

April 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Danielle

Could our family pets contract the swine flu and if so could they pass it on to humans ?
    An if so what about the other wild animals outside could they also contract the virus somehow ?

April 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Erica... we have had pandemic in the past. Hong Kong flu of the 1968 killed many people. And we did not have Tamiflu then. I was hospitalized for a month with that one.

April 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Minou, New York City

@ dr gupta:
    can the virus circulate through air conditioning?

April 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Josh

Patricia Ziegler.. Thats easy to say when you're not the particular white folk being discriminated aginst.

April 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. nathon smith

patricia zeigler

I agree with you, it seems the courts are agreeing with the city in this matter. But why?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  33. peter

It has not been specified how they test if a patient has swine flu or regular flu.
    Have they already found primer sets that can specifically amplify this new mutant versus "normal" human influenzavirus?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  34. peter

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Tim Lully

I need an explanation on how a triple strain of virus that must mutate can suddenly pop up without detection like no other known virus known has before?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Graham Stoddard

Is it possible for Swine Flu to mutate and become immune to vaccine?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Analize

If I have a 5 wk old baby... should I stay home and avoid going to Church even though my state is not known to have the flu yet?

Thanks,
    Analize, UTAH

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  38. patrizia

Can anyone tell me @ what day or hour our USA emergency rooms were notified of the swine flu virus? And were they equipped @ that time to diagnosis and treat the person?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Jonathan Wilson

I am curious if a couple hundred kids in New York have the same symptoms why are they down playing this to only 64 cases in the US?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Janice

I find it insulting to suggest Blacks cannot pass the exam based on the color of their skin. When we begin treating all people as the individuals they are – that is when the most qualified people will get the jobs.

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Jesse Leal

I don’t think I’ve heard about this:
    If I get infected, then cured with some of the drugs you’ve been mentioned, would I be at risk of getting infected again?
    Also, how long would it take to contain the spread?

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Diana

My folks where vacationing in Mexico and I am picking them up at the airport (Chicago/Ohare). Should I take any precautions when I pick them up at the gate? My parents are find and not sick but 'm most concerned with anyone else at the airport being sick.

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba

@ David, Indiana

I think the heat of summer could help with the situation.
    Unfortunately here in my hemisphere will be winter

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Patty

The test that was given to the CT firefighters that was deemed unfair because it discrimated against African American firefighters, what were the questions that were on unfair if it is based on being firefighter and the management aspects that go with the territory.

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Patrice Palmer

@Phyllis – Way to go! I haven't voted Republican for years for the same reason. When people and human rights, rather than the views of one conservative religion, greed and profits, come first, I may take another look.

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Anthony

Based on the numbers quoted, the US should be averaging 95-100 flu deaths per day, just for normal flu strains.

Where are those deaths and why are they not reported on? Shouldn't we expect H1N1 deaths already, simply based on the normal trends?

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Ohhh so glad we have lots of sunshine here! The virus cannot live that long when expose to sunlight! Taken from Dr. Sanjay's words! 🙂 -- and I can heave a sigh of relief!!! Whew!!!

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Tomas J

Once you've had this flu and have recovered, are you immune to it? Or can you catch it again? Gracias!

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Marco

HOw long does it take diagnose the virus? After getting this flu, can you get it again?

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Rick Whitener Atlanta, GA

How does a test that measures knowledge level of Fire Fighting become a racial issue. Are Medical Board Exams, Barr Exams, Contractor License Exams and Spelling B's racial? Where does stop. You either know your subject or not. That is the only issue.

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |