April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

@Renee, good question, I wonder about pets too. Can they get this flu?

I have to admit hearing that Ariana's flu was cured w two pills, tamiflu's, seems like this shld overall be mild flu. I guess the pt is like Dr. Del Rio says this is a new virus.

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Adam, Colorado

to annie merrill

I have heard we should see this again in october

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Kathy

thanks for the correction on the deaths. Good catch guys, pleased to see someone pays attention.......

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Victoria

What precautions are taken in hospital waiting rooms to prevent the spread among patients waiting to be seen?

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Nathan Wolfe

@ Dee F – we are starting to see increased efforts to monitor viruses in wild bird and animal populations. But this is only in its infancy. Much more is needed!

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Michelle

I am from Canada and no one has died here. Please update your information. We do have 6 comfirmed cases.

7. Shelley, Seattle, WA

I don't get it...weren't we talking about nationwide vaccinations several years ago. Why the delay to get it going? Funding?

8. Ellyn Simond

One of your headlines said there were deaths in Canada and Spain. Could you confirm that? I have not heard this talked about nor can I find any info on those deaths online.
    What is the possiblities that Swine Flu is bio-warfare and made in a lab?

9. Jessica

Hi from New Zealand. I am surprised at how quickly this has spread around NZ. I am particulary concerned about my 9yr old daughter who has impaired lung function and doesn't handle the so called normal flu without developing muscus plugs. Any tips on how to keep her safe?

10. R. Clary

I live in Ohio and have 4 children in school,what if anything can I do to raise concern about this outbreak to their school district?

11. Florence Paillard

I got the flu last Friday travelling by plane to California. Symptoms are not too bad. But are there FREE checkup places to get tested or to get tamiflu? (I don't have great health coverage and I was going to ride it out at home, and I am not sick enough to go to the hospital)
    Thanks
    Florence

12. Abe

Hi Anderson,
    My mother-in-law has symptoms of what may be the swine flu. Can this be determined from a blood test? Can this be fatal if not properly treated or diagnosed? We visited a park where you can feed live animals (such as goats and birds) and the very next day she had a high fever, chills, a really bad sore throat, a constant headache and body ache all over and she is 61 yrs old. The doc prescribed augmentin, that did not help and then landed in the ER and they said she had pharyngitis and gave her Ceftin and her throat is still hurting along with the constant headache. The other symptoms may have subsided, but not completely. I don't know what to do, since her doc just seemed to have dismissed her. What should I do now to help her?
    Thanks, Abe in New Jersey

13. Tina

Just wanted to say thank you for your honest and professional reporting. CNN and Anderson Cooper 360 are the only news shows myself and my family will watch. We know you always report the facts and not opinions that are biased or dramatized.
    Thank you again.

14. Carole Vance

I am curious if the swine flu has spread so much in Mexico because of many people not having access to healthcare – like previous flu shots. I understand that this strain is made up of 3 types, 2 of which have had previous flu vaccines and the other the swine flu which there isn't a previous vaccine. So Americans may not be "dying" from it because they are only reacting to the swine strain in this flu and not the other 2?

15. Jeff - Pen Argyl, PA

Good evening all. Are there any plans to identify and eradicate any of the local swine herds in Mexico? This would be similar to actions governments in S.E. Asia take when bird flu outbreaks occur. FYI – China (on a limited basis), Russia, & S. Korea (nationally from the USA) have banned the importation of live swine / swine semen from the USA. This all but halts all USA exports of swine (my profession).

16. Carol

Hello, I would like to know if you have to have a fever with this flu I have been sick for a week with diarrhea and stomach pain and just had that nausea feeling just feeling alittle better today but not a 100% yet.

17. Will in California

With the talk about the virus crossing our border along Mexico; why isn't the government talking about sending more National Guard troops to that border to prevent more illegal crossings by Mexicans into the US, especially if some of those who cross the border may not know they are infected by the virus. Build that fence instead of thinking that it can't help prevent an pandemic of swine flu, just because constituents might be angry at those they elected into office.

18. Gary

I wonder how many illegal Mexicans have crossed the border in the past few days and are bringing the flu with them?

19. Summer

back in november there was a big case of the same flu like symptom that want around ILL. but the doctor here called uperepator infection. could this be the same thing.

20. Beverly

What laboratory tests identify the swine flu virus? Are all labs equipped to do this test?

21. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The students in NYC went to Mexico for spring break .I belive i heard on Cnn.

22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

We live in Seattle and are going on vacation to Cabo tomorrow – is it safe to go?

Matt,
    Nope, I don't think there is not safe to fly there......... I hope you will take caution.

23. Maren in Oregon

Someone has to have the nerve to close he border. It would be a huge conomic blow – but so would an actual pandemic. I would not want to be the one making the call

24. Julien Bilodeau

I would like to know if the speed of the virus' propagation has lessened or become less severe in the last several hours. There haven't really been any severe new breakouts since the last couple days – is this flu becoming old news?

25. Daytona Jarman

I have had a bad reaction to the flu vaccine in the past and have been warned against taking it again. Does this make it impossible for me to take Tami-Flu or the other drug that is being prescribed for the Swine Flu?

26. Wayne Tyson

What DOES kill "resting" viruses on hands and surfaces? Alcohol? Or is "cleaning" just spreading viruses around?

27. MonicaGoo

The 4 confirmed cases in Nova Scotia attend a Private school in Windsor Nova Scotia. 27 students still in isolation to be on the safe side. They were in Mexico for a school trip.
    3 of the students have already recovered.

28. michelle

i live in victoria bc canada, i have swine flu. i think i am the first case here.
    i was in cancun last week. went to mexco hospital there, they said my friend and i did not have it. but told us we had bronchitis, mine was worse. so wear a mask... so we caught our flight home, ferry home, bus home wearing a mask... went straight to the hospital in victoria and they made me wait in the waiting room for over an hour... (possibly infecting people) finally took me to isolation. left me for a few hours... did testing after 6 hours. told me i wasnt burning up from a fever it was a sunburn.. (wrong) finally when my testing was underway my fever was down to 101.. all they gave me was tylenol to help my pain and fever.. they finally said to me YOUR NOT CONTAGIOUS, go home!! my mask came off... and my mom took me home! day and a half later, i get a call today saying i had it

29. Mike Woydziak

Dr. G. mentioned that there were no antibodies in our systems. Could those who received the swine flu vaccine in the 70 have retained some of those antibodies we received when we go those innoculatons?

30. Lee Olivas

In the 70's there was a swine flu scare. I remember having to go for a vaccine. Was that a reg flu shot or specific to swine flu? There was also scare that vaccine had caused a problem in some who received it.

31. Robert

Our daughter's high school has a planned trip in early June. Should we cancel now or wait?

32. Kever

With the swine flu – explain what impact the flu has on the pig as compared to people.

33. Laura Perry

ANDERSON++
    could it be that in mexico,young teenagers work on farms,ect....in
    mexico.i dont think they are supervised. they need to check who is working on these pigs farms,and all farms for that matters.after all
    they come to the U.S.because of bad working conditions,and few jobs. I am a texan,and dont like all these people coming over here
    taking our jobs,using our medical care,dont mean to sound so harsh
    but texas is always faced with the reality,that the mexican govt.cant get
    their act together. i think the swine flu is due to filth in the farming
    community in mexico. you are great anderson-laura p.s. cant drink
    the water in mexico should tell us all mexican govt doesnt care.

34. Nathan Wolfe

@Julian in California - Influenza viruses are very prone to reassortment or mixing of genes. So if a pig is infected with both a swine strain and simultaneously a bird strain, those two may combine allowing new viruses to be born

35. Rosanne

Steamboat Springs Colorado is testing over 100 local high school students returning from Mexico. Will the results be known soon?

36. Linda

I have heard some viruses can become contagious before the person ever shows the first sign or symptom. I have heard as early as 24 hours before the person even knows they are sick. If the swine flu is like that, we a putting to much attention on looking for people who are sick, instead of how quickly the virus spreads, and the possibility of mutation.

37. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Jim

Your Mom could go to the emergency room – i'm sure they would quaranteen and test her.

38. Saera El Paso, TX

why do i keep seeing people with their masks down on their chins and under their noses? how does that help anyone?!!!

39. John Vasquez

I to have been traveling tpo mexico and know have a case of strept thoat and im only 15 . I live in texas right next to the border in brownsville , texas will the army patrol the border and give out masks stores are allready empty of them!!

40. Ernesto

My question is for Dr. Wolfe
    Knowing that this new strain is a triple reassortant (avian, swine and human). Who/which do you think served as the mixing vessel for this new strain to reassort? a pig or human.

thank you!

41. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Changing this to a level 4 emergency health alert was purely a precautionary measure....I was trying to tell my friend that this afternoon...I don't think its something that we have to get too worked up about it just yet...

42. Lauren--NY

Dr. Wolfe, if you're reading this, I would like to thank you for the work you're doing on the ground in Cameroon. My dad is a biologist and I truly understand the value of the work of men like you.

If we avoid another HIV/AIDS level pandemic, it will be because of your work and the work of others like you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

43. Julien

I just came back from Mexico city Sunday and I was impressed to see that nothing was done on US airport to prevent sick people to enter the US. The only thing was a funny question at the custom: have you been in contact with pigs? Nothing more! I have some doubts about the level of "state of alert" and the serious of US Homeland Security...

44. Rose-Mari Gibson

someone should explain the different types of masks there are, is a plain paper mask just as much protection than a N95 mask?

45. Juli

I have been following the news about the flu and it is scary how many people are dying from this. If Tamiflu fights this flu, is it being used in Mexico?

46. Isabel

Influenza viruses exhibit a high degree of variability. According to the extent of the genetic mutations from one year to another, the degree of protection of the population will vary and epidemics of variable intensity will occur. A pandemic can occur when a totally new influenza virus against which the human population has no immunity emerges, usually from animals.

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Shelley

We are going to Mexico – Tulum Resort Area -in June for our 1st family all inclusive trip-should we be looking at other options for traveling?

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Toni

I am curious if you get the flu this year, will you have immunity? Is there danger in raising pigs, chickens etc.? Thanks.

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Marianne in Utah

@Patrice Palmer: Thanks for asking the question. I am also an educator and it has been an interesting dance with kids and diseases these last 35 years.

Right now I am undergoing a series of Hepatitis vaccinations because of a strain a student I now have, has. Apparently, it is serious.

Tuberculosis and Whooping Cough have also been a problem in my area. I know teachers in my valley who have contracted both.

It would be nice for educators to be better advised as to what their options are and encouragement to use services for their protection.

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. n2motherhood in KS

Question for the Dr.:
    Is there anything you should do if you think you may have had it? can they tell now, what about the people you were around when you may have been contagious?

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |