April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Barbara

If exposed to Swine Flu, how long before you show symptoms?

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Laura - Va

In 1976 Congress funded for the innoculation of 40 million people against the swine flu, during President Ford's administration.

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. adis

hey, i was just wondering,is swine flu AIRBORNE? because here in flordia people around ( about 2 of every 10 ) we're wearing mask's,should i? thanks in advance,

adis

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Rod Miller

Does the genetics of the swine flu become diluted in the presence of other strains of flu? Isn't the flue seasonal? It can't spread when average temps are over 80? Shouldn't it not persist in Mexico.

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Brooke

I keep hearing about the swine flu but not much about specific travel spots. I hear "mexico" it there any place in Mexico that is okay?

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Don Miklas

I had a flu shot in November 2008. Will that be effective against the Swine Flu?

Marlboro, NJ

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Isabel

Is being taken care with the people who are arriving at airports, this moment?

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Rox

Can Dr. Wolfe please explain how death occurs from the flu virus? Specifically, what happens to the body to cause death?

April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Annie Merrill

Is there any chance that the deaths we are seeing in Mexico City is actually the second wave of the disease THERE that we in the US and other countries may see HERE in October?

Also, could this be a 'created' disease and an attempt at bioterrorism?

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Maren in Oregon

I am soo glad I do not like to fly. Now I have a valid excuse.

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Micki

Are any of the airlines giving medical face masks for protection of the passengers?

Would that be a good thing to do - simply have them available for any passenger who wants one or even to require all passengers to wear a mask? These would be the lightweight protective face masks, not a frightening mask that highjackers would wear.

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. rani

Thank you Dr. Gupta for taking the risks and traveling to Mexico to report on the story. What should health care providers be on the alert for in states that do not have reported cases yet?

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Michelle

AC-360

My daughter's son Brody is in 7th grade at St.Mels School in Sacramento,ca. He sat several desks away from the boy with swine flu. She, Val & son Brody both don't feel good-sore throat ect. She has called doc's, & health org's just for info but none returned her call. Common sense says she & son should get checked. Also, Brody was at our house over the weekend. Is it OK for me (grandma) to go to work around others-I work for State of CA. Any info for us would help.

Thanks, Michelle

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Meg

Dr. Wolf,
    I read that the seasonal h1n1 flu vaccine may offer a degree of protection. Should I get a flu vaccine for my 11year old daughter. Is there any reason not to?

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Wayne

What do you know about cruise ships? I booked a seven day Mexican Rivera cruise 6 months ago. The cruise starts this weekend...with stops in Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. Even if I don't get off others will get off and return to the boat. Am I safe? What precautions should I take?

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Obama was furious about the plane flying too low over NYC.....okay, first of all people need to communicate about what they are going to do before they do it..... sigh

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They were blessed for the swine flu not to spread in their home.

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Buck

As an American working iin Canada this week, if we reach Level 5, will the borders be closed to my re-entry into the U.S.? I do not want to get stuck in Canada while my family is in the U.S.. Should I return before we reach Level 5?

April 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Brandon

@dwee: This virus is apparently being controlled with Tamiflu....so says reports. Of course the thing about viruses are that they make anti-bodies...and you know what that means.

20. Joe, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

The program keeps mentioning the students who recently traveled to Cancun and "returned home sick" with swine flu. It should be noted that no cases of swine flu have been confirmed to date here in the entire state of Quintana Roo (the state where Cancun is). This is one of the states in Mexico that has had no instances of the virus thus far.

21. Dan

What has been the incubation period for swine flu?

22. Tammy G.

Isn't it better to stay completely away from all pork products right now as the bird flu was tied to tainted diseased birds – wouldn't the same be wise to stay away from all pork and pork-by-products?

23. Bassam, Washington DC

Thanks Anderson and Dr. Nathan for taking the time to answer our questions. My question is: What do you advice us to avoid in order not to be infected with the Swine flu, even though no one is confirmed or suspected infected with the diseases here in Washington DC? Thanks a million.

24. MiaHawk

Purell-keep it handy. Use it often.

25. Mike Munson

Can you treat the swine virus like other flu viruses effectivly?

26. Renee

This airplane incident is unbelievable! I feel bad for the folks in lower Manhattan near the WTC site. I have a few friends that are really, really upset about this and were in tears this afternoon. Friends in Jersey City thought they were going to re-live 911 again. So sad.

27. raul rodriguez

i live in new york and want to know should i send my three kids to school or not

28. bonnie

After dinner last Saturday night, I got home lay down and felt a pain like an attack on my throat. Yesterday, I had a headache and sort throat. Today, I have a cought, sort throad and head pain. My could not get to my doctor today because I worked late. He is out of the office tomorrow. Where can I get a check up for the Swine flu and should I go to the emergency now?

29. Renne'

Mr Cooper;
    I am concerned that my daughter may have this virus, took her to the doctor a little over two weeks ago with a major sore throat, body aches. at that time she wasnt running a fever, but her cough has gotten worse and now causes some pain in the chest and throat. My daughter also said that there are a number of students at her school with the same symptoms and cough, should we be concerened? Thank You.
    Renne

30. LisaL - Canada

that flu sounds nasty. i agree that hand-washing is as important as anything else. like the idea of carrying portable hand sanitizer, though.

31. Anita

Booked for Cruise to Mexico May 23-28, already paid for. Should we go? Will cruise lines refund?

32. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Anthonia-california

I understand that you can NOT get the flu from eating pork. It is only between human contact!

33. Greg, Austin Tx

Good interview with the young lady. I know what that "hit by a bus" feeling is like and that's just from regular flu so I can only imagine how the body handles this new strain for which the body has no defenses.

34. Maggie

Dr Wolfe: While intended for another strain of flu, does the flu vaccine lessen the symptoms?

35. Miss J

My mother just got back from Mexico today, she claims she has a sore throat and already feels sick but cant get a doctors appointment for 2 days. So in a sense I am forced to quarantine my self in my own room.

There has to be a county/government clinic that she can go to right away (if she can't afford the co-pay on an ER visit, that is).

36. Jeff

How do they know that this virus comes from swine?

37. John Vasquez

We all should start wearing those mask like right now brfore they run out.I live in texas and i preety much see us all scewed!!

38. Henry F. Howe

Isn't this flu issue largely a sampling problem now? If all Mexicans with swine flu are now counted at 2000, and 150 died, the mortality would be about 7.5%. With 40 affected in the states 3 might have died. If the actual number with serious and mild flu in Mexico is 10,000, the mortality is 1.5%. We would need about 80 people affected and one dead to have the same rate.

There just aren't enough people sick yet to know. And we don't know the Mexcan sample – random or the sickest?

39. Rebekah

the woman in Michigan suspected to have Swine flu just got back from a trip to Texas.

40. Tammy,Hong Kong

Good evening Anderson and Erica (it's morning in Hong Kong). The panic begin to spread in Hong Kong, the flu is on every single newspaper headline. I hope everyone in America to stay healthy, and luckily the Hong Kong Gov'n have a large storage of drugs to cure the flu.

41. James200809

i personally think the flu virus was made in a lab & it got loos
    what are the ods of someone creating a zombie virus like in the movies?

42. susie

I understand of everything going on, but we had a trip to Mexico for over a year now? Will the air lines work with me? What do we do?

43. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

i take 500 mg of vitaimin c every day i hope this can build up immnuity against virus.

44. rico

what is the risk of feral hogs, of which i have heard are rampant in the u s , spreading this virus?

45. Sarah

Calling the virus swine flu has created panic in US swine exports even though the virus cannot be tranfered via pork. US pork markets have crashed. This virus has not been found in US swine. Swine vets and pork producers are doing everything possible to protect the US swine herd from human to pig transfer.

46. Jessica

We are going to Cabo San Lucas for our honeymoon in late June. Is it safe? Should we change our plans?

47. Bonnie Wilson

I notice that the Dallas Health Dept. is recommending taking aspirin for this flu. As a retired nurse, I was always taught that aspirin in contraindicated in viral illness because of the possibility of Reyes syndrome.

48. John

Is it possible that the reason that younger people are then ones primarily infected (as reported on CNN), that older adults have been exposed to a similar virus in the past, therefore have somehow developed an immunity.

49. Maureen from Fort Lauderdale

I'm travelling to New York tomorrow. is it recommended to wear a face mask? Do you have any travel tips?

50. Andres

Hi all,
    How likely is it for the virus to enter the human body through the eyes? E.g. If someone who has the virus sneezes close to someone who does not have it?
    Thanks.