April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Miss J

Good question Anderson—why are we upset? ‘Cause there is no vaccine.

But they did say it is responding to 2 anti-virals. That has to be a good thing.

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Michael

I've read about the use of phanges to fight off viruses. I hear that they are used as a preservative for food but also have uses in fighting infections. Can they be used in this instance?

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Suzanne, Ormond Beach, FL

BIG CONCERN...I have a relative that is a Social Worker in the ER of a Long Island hospital who says they were "inundated by the epidemic" and there were diagnosed cases "all weekend long." ALSO, she said the CDC had them STOP testing for it and just treating it with Tamiflu. I find this very concerning and worth looking into.
    Thanks, Anderson and Erica

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

hey everyone,
    you just showed people with masks going up a escalator, holding on to the railing. Things spread by touching something someone else has touched!!!! Hello...................Wash hands constantly......................

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Manesh

I am scheduled to travel to Tulum, Mexico. Is there a chance I get stuck in Mexico if i show signs of the virus. Will I be allowed to retun to the US for treatment?

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. joe

Simple question. How many people have already been tested for Swine Flu at this time.
    Because my thought is that % of people that had gone to a Dr. last week with symptoms for Swine flu who were tested would be less than 1%. I feel this from person experience. Most of my family has been sick with ALL the symptoms yet our Dr. still says no to testing because we are getting better.
    This leads me to believe the # of casese will escalate dramatically once Drs' start sending in test's.

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Brad

Should I get another flu shot if I am on a medication that lowers my immune system such as Enbrel?

8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Dr. Wolfe, Is it possible that the Swine Flu seems milder here because our immune systems in the U.S. are stronger than those in Mexico and, or because of our vaccine programs for children and better health care in general?

9. Deniz

We came back from Mexico on Saturday how long would it take to show symptoms of the swine flu?

10. Matt

We live in Seattle and are going on vacation to Cabo tomorrow – is it safe to go?

11. Sandy in Wisconsin

Why do you think of government is allowing people to fly from Mexico City to Chicago, NY, etc. and just hand them an informational sheet of paper? When will they actually take this serious and close the border between US and Mexico? Are we waiting for this to mutate?

12. sarah rand

I've heard that a robust immune system is one reason people are dying in MX.. I take lots of anti-oxidants and exercise -very healthy immune system and I never get sick. Am I at greater risk of being infected or dying from this virus? Is boosting your immune system before you get infected a good or bad idea?

13. Dan

Is it possible that this could be related to bioterrorism?? No one has entertained the possibility.....

14. Kathlene

i am going to cancun sat. should i wear a mask and shoiuld i ask my pcp for tamiflu

15. Andy

Your news ticker states there are 6 confirmed DEATHS of Swine Flu in Canada. This is incorrect. There are 6 confirmed CASES of Swine Flu in Canada – all mild, as in the United States. Please get your facts right.

16. Gretchen

Dr. Wolfe,
    What are some ways to prevent this flu from spreading? And what are the chances of it spreading to Wisconsin???

17. Rebecca Slater

How does one die of Swine Flu? I understand what the symptoms look like and that the deaths in Mexico were because strong, robust immune systems fought too aggressively against the virus. What exactly then, caused death?

18. Barb

What is the incubation period ... how long from exposure till symptoms?

19. Laura

My brother-in-law is getting married in Puerto Vallarta this weekend and we have tickets to fly out Wednesday morning. Our plan was to go as a family (including my three-yr-old daughter and twenty-month-old son). Should we still go? We don't want to miss the wedding, but I also don't want to be responsible for putting my kids at risk...

20. Rick Dorsey

Will the USA close the border soon?

21. Deborah

your ticker on tv states 6 deaths in Canada...deaths or illnesses? Please clarify

22. Stephanie

Swine flu is scary! I live in Queens, NY. Talked to a doctor today who said the best way to avoid Swine Flu is to stay home and away from other people.....YIKES!!

23. Manesh

I'm scheduled to travel to Tulum next Thursday, there a chance i get stuck in Mexico and cannot return if I show symptons of the virus?

24. Shawn

I have a sore throat, cough, fatigue, but no fever. Symptoms came on very suddenly over the weekend. How can I tell whether I have something to worry about or not?

25. Linda V.

Back in – was it the 1980s? – there was enough concern about swine flu that the whole country was offered vaccination. Some took it. Some didn't. Does that immunization factor in to the current situation at all?

26. Nimbus Clay

Hi

I have tow questions

one
    is there a incubation period and if so how long?

second
    could my pets be affected and if so what can I look for?

Nim

27. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson and Erica hope you are feeling no effects of flu in NYC please stay well

28. Victoria

Is Tamiflu the only antiviral medication effective against Swine Flu?

29. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. Hope you had a great weekend! Saw the movie Earth last night. Great movie!...I understand there are 6 confirmed individuals with the swine flue in Canada, no deaths though I believe.

30. David, Indiana

@Gloria, Brooklyn, I agree may we all be in good health.

@Isabel, yes so far, but seems like this outbreak started in Mexico so it would be more widespread there. Ok and Dr. Gupta noted this pt. I think your question is a good one for Dr. Wolfe. I wonder there are always mild and more severe cases.

That's the fact that has stuck w me, the population of Mexico City is 20 million.

31. Lisa D

Dr, my friends and I are scheduled to travel to Riviera Maya this Saturday. One member of our party has been sick with allergies or a cold. Should we cancel our trip since her immune system may be compromised? We will lose our money, and we don't want to minimize the situation, nor do we want to worry unnecessarily. Thank you.

32. lester hartman,MD

What is the age distribution of the deaths in Mexico city thought to be related to swine flu. Yesterday I heard 25-44 now today the mean or median age may be 16 y. Please clarify. Is there a cite that tracks the stats on the dead.
    Lester hartman,MD

33. Jamal Wilson

So I take the trains that run into the city everyday. Should I be worried about getting swine flu?

34. Melissa

I'll be traveling several times in May (not to Mexico) to the Caribbean and Europe. I'm concerned about the time inside the plane, and the possibility that an asymptomatic infected person may unconsciously spread the virus to fellow passengers.

What precautions can I take during the travel time?
    Would a mask be recommended then (although I'm not sure they're that effective anyways)?
    Would inmuno boosters (i.e. airborne) help?

Thank you for your advice. God bless!

35. Julie

I live in Mexico. Where are the hotspots?

36. Connie

I live in Michigan and heard today schools in Livingston County are sending home letters saying there is a case of swine flu there. I didn't see Michigan as a highlighted state?

37. Beth

I keep hearing that this virus may be so lethal to young people because the immune system goes into overdrive. Would taking drugs like antihistamines, steroids, or something else that suppresses the immune system help prevent deaths in people who have swine flu?

38. Karen

Hi AC
    Can you remind us viewers what the symptoms are? Myself and my 8 yrs old stayed in PA over the weekend, attend a major sporting event, not sure what we may have come in contact with. I have been sneezing constantly and developed a slight sore throat since I got back. Should I be worried?

39. Jeronimo Cortina

One question. How come students in NYC who just returned from Cancun got infected by the swine flue and there are no cases in Cancun? Does that make any sense about the causality?

One comment. The death rate of those who were infected during the 1918 flu epidemic has been estimated to be around 2.5 to 5%. So I urge to be very careful how you report the numbers. If you take the numbers that have been reported the death rate of the swine flu is around 10% which is extremely alarming. There is simply no enough statistical information yet to make any generalizations and to be able to establish the causality and but more importantly the distribution and the determinants of the flu frequency

40. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I guess, only time will tell how serious this flu will be!!

I almost died from the Hong Kong flu. So I am not thrilled to see this happening...

41. Brooke

I am leaving Thursday morning to Cancun. Should I cancel my trip or continue as plans with precautions.

42. Patricia Jurka

Why are reputable reporters still calling this epidemic the "swine flu" when it is not. It is comprised of Human Flu type A & B, Bird Flu and Swine flu. It makes me angry. and some reporter is looking for "ground zero–human #1 where the swine flu (supposedly) jumped to humans .. hmmm sounds like the green monkeys and AIDS... If this flu has 4 components as stated above, it did not jump from a (green) pig to a human.. . why are they trying to make us believe this ... this was not a natural happening.

43. Heather

Pork products have been branded safe to eat – but what about fruits and vegetables from Mexico?

44. Angie

March 17, my daughter tested positive for influenza type A. The pediatrician also concluded that my husband and I also had the flu based on our symptoms. Relenza was also prescribed for my oldest daughter to prevent or lesson any symptons she might have. I wonder if this virus has been around longer than has been suggested in the media? I say this because my husband contracted his virus from a co-worker who was sick. The co-workers "doc" told him it was a virus that originated in Mexico.

April 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. rhonda peach

If you contract the swine flu will you be immune to it later and not have it again?

April 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Annie, Tampa FL

Hi Anderson and Erica,
    Very informative program on the flu. Here in FL we have to be extra careful , so many seniors who could just go....
    Dr. Gupta, please put on your mask, you are doing a great job , we don't want you to catch this swine flu.

April 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Kara

I wonder how scared we need to be over this flu, or if you can just get really scared by watching the news and reading about what is going on with this flu.
    I live in California and am wondering even if we should be worried about buying fruit that comes from mexico. ( and alot of it does here in so cal).

April 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Dr. Richard B. Day

Please note: CNN is mistakenly reporting 6 deaths in Canada from swine flue. This is incorrect. Canada has 6 confirmed cases, not 6 deaths.

April 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Dave Russell

your newsline at the bottom of the screen is showing 6 DEATHS IN CANADA !!! I think you mean 6 cases

April 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Lorri Collins

I would like to know how does an animal disease transfer to humans and also will other animals be at risk, such as cattle, horses our pets?

Thank you!