April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Laurie

I live in Redlands, California, about 80 miles northeast of San Diego and 30 miles northwest of Palm Springs and to spite the fact that our state has knowingly been one of the states involved in the early infections of this "swine flu" my daughter in law just got back from Redlands Community Hospital with a fever, chills, chest and head conjestion and body aches and they didn't even test her for the virus!!!!! If this is the way our healthcare system is going to run this crisis, God help us. The emergency room doctor said "he didn't feel it was the "swine flu" and refused to test her. Course I forgot to mention my daughter in law is one of the working adults in this country without insurance, but she's also the mother of 2 & 3 year old daughters. They gave her antibiotics and told her to wait a few days to take just to see if she "gets over it herself" I am appalled and am reporting this to the CDC as soon as I click "Submit"

2. Julian in California

@ Dr. Wolf how did the strain of the avian influenza end up combining with the Swine flu?

3. koree - Toronto Ontario

What is the incubation period before symptoms appear?

4. Rory

I was watching Anderson Cooper from my home in Red Deer Alberta Canada on Live CNN when I saw a caption that said there is 6 confirmed deaths in Canada. I have been following the news both local and national and there have been no confirmed deaths in Canada, only 6 confirmed cases, 4 in Nova Scotia and 2 in BC and none of those people have died. CNN should get there facts straight in a time when fear spreads easier then the flu itself.

5. Laura - Va

Health experts say that pigs can carry human influenza viruses. which can combine with H5N1, passing genes and mutating into a form which can pass easily among humans. Transmission of influenza from swine to humans who work with swine was documented in a small surveillance study performed in 2004 at the University of Iowa. Were the first cases of swine flu among people who worked closely with pigs?

6. Jon

the ticker shows 6 swine flu deaths in Canada but it is actually 6 cases. There have been no deaths!!!

“We have no new confirmed cases to date and all existing cases have recovered completely from their mild symptoms,” said Dr. David Butler-Jones, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer

7. Anthonia-california

Heeey Everyone! Happy Lunes 🙂

Sucks to hear about the swine flu outbreak!
    But is it true that the flu can also be transmitted
    by eating cooked pork in mexico...? or d you have to be in live
    contact with the pig itself?

8. Jennifer

I live in ontario canada and my 9 year old came home from school today with a fever of 102.5 but with no other symptons...should I be worried?

9. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The Canadain people had i believe gone to mexico that's how they contarcted in Nova Scotia and B.C.

10. Niwat, Chicago

@ Dr Wolfe– Will taking hi-dose multivitamins be advised as an preventive medicine along with surgical mask? and also what does one healthy person do to take care of an infected one?

11. bella

heyy victoria who are u takeing this flu????

12. Maren in Oregon

For Dr. Wolf:

Has anyone considred that this may nort be a natural occurence? Is there epidemiology which would direct researchers to draw that conclsion?

13. Jacqueline, NY

How long after contracting swine flu does it take for symptoms occur?

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Damien

Hi Anderson and the rest of CNN,

As a scientist that studies viruses and their evolution I find your coverage interesting. I wonder is the virus simply already adaptating to its human hosts and hence the cases we see in the US and in Europe are not as virulent as the strain circulating in Mexico. So somehow the virus is actually lossing its pathogenecity. Personally they are numerous viruses that have the potential to cause an pandemic so I am not worried or I dont believe that this will result in an pandemic. Any thought on this Dr Wolfe.
    Keep up the excellent and most important responsable coverage on the swine virus

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Sarah

This particular virus has not been found in swine yet. The 1918 flu virus was originally blamed as a swine origin and decades later we now recognize that it went from human to pigs and not pigs to humans. No North American swine have been diagnosed with this virus and we cannot get this virus from pork.

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Patrick, Illinois

The cruise industry is hurting a great deal, are they more hesitant to offer refunds due to their financial situation...my cruise leave LA for Mexico on Sunday...no refunds, no changes, very little info...can someone look into this?

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Kristian, Maryland

Is there anything that I can do. I live on a college campus and recently we had Easter break where some people did go to Mexico. Is there anything I can do to curb the chance of contracting swine flu.

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  18. jeremy

hi is anyone following the story in steamboat springs , colorado of 100+ high school students and their families that just returned from mexico? how long do the swine flu test results take? thx

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Linda

What about food products coming out of Mexico? If a worker is infected and handles the food, can the swine flu be passed on to others in that fashion?

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Ben

American Airlines will only waive flight change fees through May 6th. Our family planned a trip to Cancun during Memorial Day, and were told that the fees would not be rescinded (though the trip is 2 weeks later)

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Nattada, Houston TX

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio, May be so that the media dis d a lot of report and make people scare, but I like to be a bit more aware and cautious than sorry. Be safe everyone.

April 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Jim

My mother just got back from Mexico today, she claims she has a sore throat and already feels sick but cant get a doctors appointment for 2 days. So in a sense I am forced to quarantine my self in my own room.

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Steve - southern Illinois

I'm thinking and praying this won't be a pandemic also. But I'm not waiting until you can't find any masks to try and get some. When I ordered some today from a popular medical supplier the lady said they are already about to run out.

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  24. dwee

It's been reported that swine flu is a "totally new" virus. How does the CDC have millions of doses of anti-viral for a "totally new" virus?

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Julie - Boston

Great info. Thanks Anderson and team 360.

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

It's a;;ways important to wash your hands and not touch your face or eyes it could cause infectuon or bacteria from your finger tiups is bad.

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Adam, Colorado

If we see this swine flu die away can we expect it to come back next flu season?

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. bob

Hi Anderson,

The Swine Flu has come about basically overnight.I am wondering how far this will spread.I have been watching the news
    all day and I can't understand why goverment officals have not stopped all travel in and out of Mexico.It seems to make common sense.

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Barend Biesheuvel

The AC360 "ticker" keeps reporting that there are "6 confirmed deaths in Canada." This is not accurate. There are 6 CASES. Not deaths. Please, CNN, issue a retraction or correction. (Will this report be repeated during the re-broadcast of AC360 udirng the night?)

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  30. MonicaGoo

On the bottom tag line it said
    "6 deaths in Canada" That is not true..
    There are 6 confirmed cases. None that have been Hospitalized.

Can you correct that please..

Monica in Nova Scotia Canada

April 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Brandon

Hello Anderson, I live in Florida and i am wondering if my fellow schoolmates and I are susceptible to the Swine Flu? Also how high is the risk of other states getting Swine Flu? will it just be contained to the 8 states or will it turn into a world-wide pandemic?

Thanks,
    Brandon.

32. Sandra Robertson

Good evening Anderson and Erica. I thank you Dr. Gupta for educating us and keeping us updated on swine flu symptoms & case numbers. I am thankful we have two drugs which will treat this virus.
    Take care.

33. Krasi, Houston, TX

I am also interested to know the exact causes for the deaths. Is it the virus itself or is there a secondary complication?

34. Andrea - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What is the WHO alert level where they will advise people to work from home? Is there a list of items (i.e. bottled water, canned tuna, candles, etc.) homeowners should stock up on that can be accessed by the general public?

35. Nick Peterson

Is it possible that the notoriously foul and polluted air of Mexico City could be aggravating the lung inflammation symptoms, leading to higher fatalities than other places?

36. Isabel

Nowadays to travel from one part of the world to the other in matter of hours is definitely much easier; and it is not only people that are in motion, animals and food products too. So the possibility for diseases such as the Swine Flu to spread to places far apart is much greater.

37. Donna

I'm from Toronto, Canada and a few years ago we had SARS up here. It was a bit scary even though it was isolated in one part of the city. We don't have any cases of swine flu in Toronto yet – I hope it doesn't happen.

38. Gabby

If you are going on travel from Houston ,Texas to California do you need to wear a mask on the plane?

39. Tony Lee-Chin

Please change your caption stating that there are six confirmed deaths in Canada. This just create panic and confusion from gross mis-reporting

40. raymond jones

Hello...

it is unfortunate that Canada is being said to have had 6 deaths which is untrue. Please take this rolling news thread off the television.....

41. Hugo

Is there a medicine if you are a dibetic?

42. Caroline, Los Angeles

Good question Anderson-why are we upset? 'Cause there is no vaccine.

43. Shelley, Seattle, WA

@Jasmine. My University does an excellent job of wiping down computers, etc. with anti-bacterial agents as well.

44. Paul

Sanjay Gupta has just returned from an unmasked (and what appeared to be unofficial) visit to to a Mexican hospital (with no one around in the hallways; perhaps because of a heightened risk). The implication was that this hospital was treating numerous known carriers of the Swine flu. What medical check was performed on Sanjay prior to his boarding the aircraft back to the US. Oh......and by the way, I guess Sanjay's visit was considered "essential" travel.

45. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

What about the avain flu and pork for the food supply is it safe to eat ?
    There are chain reaction like this in food that are alraming .

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Jen in Mex

No masks available where I live (Tourist spot). I bought Tamiflu over the counter on Saturday. Last box I could find (and the due date on it is Aug. 2009).
    Bars and nightclubs closing. Economic effects will be disastrous.
    I was planning on going home (USA) for 5 de mayo holiday, but am afraid of being quarentined. Is this a fear with basis?? I'm totally healthy.

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I am probably the only person that goes to the doctor when I get sick, only because I never get sick and can't handle it.

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Cessy, Chicago

are there different strains on this virus? I'm curious...

first we hear that this is happening in Mexico, then Seattle, New York and now Canada?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  49. John R

My kids have several friends at middle school that went to Mexico over spring break. Should I keep them home from school for a few days?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Annette in NJ

My husband is traveling to Paris on Sunday. Will US travellers be held for observation at the airport? Also, if he falls ill overseas, will he be detained until they find out the origin of his illness?

Thanks for your time.