April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bonnie

Can the swine flu infect our pets especially dogs?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Marshall

I live in Laredo Texas wich borders Mexico if I am living close to the border why hasent it hit yet? and when it hits will it be very sevre?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Joe

What are some extra precautions that people can do to prevent Swine Flu? And why are the Drug Companies not producing more Tamiflu to treat all of these cases?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hi bloggers, Anderson, Erica, Dr. Wolfe:

Here's my question: Do the masks really stop the spreading of swine flu? I heard that germs can still pass through the masks. Thanks.

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Dee F

Dr. Wolfe do you think that there may now be a greater surveillance in the animal population now that we have had the avian flu outbreak and the swine flu outbreak, both of which might have been prevented from getting into the human population if it was first 'seen' in the animal kingdom?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Michelle

If we cannot keep throngs of people from crossing our borders illegally we aren't going to keep out swine flu or any other epidemic.

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Dan

We are in Mexico City and in our nieghborhood very few people are in the street and in the market. We and most other people are wearing face masks. Its a bit scary but the responce from most people has been very good. Also people here have more access to free or low cost health care than is possible in the US.

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Jennifer

With its proximity to Mexico, is it safe to travel to San Diego, given that I'm 30 weeks pregnant and supposed to travel with a small child?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Rick Dorsey

I've purchased tickets for a trip tp Cancun Mexico next month, should i still go?

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Renee

@ Dr. Wolfe: How come you can get sick from a pig or a cow but not from your family dog? I have never understood this. Beagle lover here.

April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Isabel

@ Erica Hill

How are you?
    What day, really! So bad news and worrying!

12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Is that way who have not take shot for that? or If they willing take shot right away to doctor. Ask all the doctor for me. Thank you.

13. Rick

My family is scheduled for a cruise with a stop in Cozumel. The airlines have taken action to allow passengers to change destinations. Have you heard anything about cruise lines?

14. Jennifer

How much do you want to bet that in the next couple of days the emergency room are going to be filling up of worried people with runny noses who think they have the Swine flu!!!

15. Jesson C.

This virus is probably mutating.

16. bella

watchin the news and there talkin about the bad swine ful i hope i dont get it or dont have it or my friends or my boyfirend

17. Marianne in Utah

What about homeopathic inhibitors like Vitamin D, Influenzinum, etc?

18. Angela J. in California

Anderson,
    I would like to know if the Swine Flu can be transferred through food preparation? If an infected person is preparing food at a restaurant, can the food become contaminated with the virus and pass to the person that is consuming the food?

19. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Andrea I have been checking the WHO and the CDC I believe the WHO is at level 4 at the moment

20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

HI Anderson i hope you are feeling ok considering you went to the border of mexico not too long ago.

21. norma

the airlines are making adjustments for their passengers, but so far there has been no consideration from the cruise lines, they insist mexico is safe for us.....

22. Yolonda

With the Swine Flu issues, should we be concerned about all of the vegatables and fruits we buy that come from Mexico?

23. Ro - CT

I know a P.A. who says the disease should be at or near its peak when I have to attend a wedding in NYC. 'Wonder if I should stock up on masks for my family.

24. Rose-Mari Gibson

Hi Anderson and Erica from up north Grande Prairie AB

Hope everybody is doing good and good news here no flu

25. Nicole Seeley

The Michigan department of community health website says there may be a possible case of swine flu in Michigan. Any update on this?

26. Cari

I live in Ontario Canada and I leave for holidays in 2 days. I am flying out of Detroit to Orlando, is there any concerns with the border being closed from Canada to United States? Also should I be worried about flying inside the United States?

27. Justin

Hi, I am a pilot for a major US Airline on layover in Veracruz, Mexico and am curious if there is any record of any crews refusing trips to Mexico. I contemplated refusing/calling in sick for this trip because I have a 5 month old son at home, yet decided to do the trip in the end. None from my airline have yet, as far as I know, refused a trip, but I would not be surprised if it happened in the near future. Thanks

28. Maren in Oregon

Dr. Gupta's warning earlier today is worth repeating: over 3000 Americans die each year in USA from regular flu. No one panics about it. the apparently vulnerable population in this case seems larger, but it is still very likely you, or I, will not get this if we are careful and use common sense

29. Greg in Kentucky

Since there are now confirmed cases and evidence that the virus has spread to six countries in two different World Health Organization regions, why are we not at alert phase FIVE?

30. Mike, Syaracuse, NY

@Casey, you're right, for ervery known case there are hundreds infected who are undiagnosed. Tthat's why immedite action is needed when it's first diagnosed.

31. Jim Saarela

are people going to need to wear masks on US flights?

32. Rebekah

@Anderson – thanks for asking about the Tamiflu and masks. personally, i think that the death rate in Mexico is so much worse (or just existent) than here in the States is because a lot more people have access to health care and medication here than in Mexico. granted, that's not everyone but it's more than Mexico.

33. Heather - Toronto, Canada

People!! Remember SARS?? Remember you didn't think it was all that bad?? Well, my husband was diagnosed with cancer at that time and they were closing down the hospitals!! He couldn't get any tests done and his treatment was held up.....to his detriment.

SARS was a killer disease.......it was not Influenza. We lost many nurses and health care people because we didn't know what it was at the beginning.

I realize that this could possibly get worse, but no one has died other than Mexico. I personally think that it is because in Canada, for instance, most of us get our annual flu shot.....perhaps Dr. Gupta can comment on that.

The fear is snowballing out of control and I just want to say "settle down, don't panic.....and you will see it is just a cold". The media is stampeding the public!! Give your head a shake.

This too will pass.

34. John Troll, Compton, CA

AC and Erica,

Don't you think the vaccination campaign will make the pharm cos a lot of $$$?

Lets hope some of that wad of people's $$$ can go to the banks who didn't do too well on the stress tests.

By the way, who is going to cover the stories on the results of the stress tests?

35. Shelley, Seattle, WA

What is the time span of these infections of Swine flu? In Mexicao, did the patients just not receive Healthcare in time, because the virus spread so quickly?

36. Glenn

Greetings from New Zealand. Health officials here in NZ are now investigating another 50 suspected cases of swine flu.

37. Cristy Kirssin

Dr. Wolfe:

What precautions should my friend be taking durring travel if she leaves the resort early? I would like to let here know..She is hoping she won't have to leave.

38. Patrice Palmer

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all!

People always talk about docors, nurses, and police officers receiving vaccines and/or anti-virals. How about teachers?

Teachers are shut in a classroom with approximately 2 dozen or more students all day, plus every other student they come in contact with in passing during the day. We work with many students whose families are from Mexico, and who travel back and forth fairly frequently. Parents often make their sick children go to school because they have no other options, as they cannot afford to stay home from work to take care of their child.

One school building housing 800 or more students, teachers, and administrators, as well as the parents who drop off and pick up their children presents a huge risk to the teachers and administrators working in it.

39. Caroline, Los Angeles

But if they close the schools how long do they have to remain closed? Days, weeks or months?

40. Deborah Huet

You did not mention the state of New Jersey yet regarding the swine flu cases in that state. We have family there. Can you give us an
    up-date on the outbreak there. thank you.

41. Laura

Will the swine flu be a apart of the vaccines this upcoming fall?

42. Cher

How long can the swine flu virus live on computer keyboards, paper money and other surfaces that we all touch every day?

43. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Erica. Sounds good to me.

Do we have enough Tamiflu if needed?

44. Patty Wolfe

I am concerned about travel on Cruise Ships that make stops in Mexican towns. Thousands of people leave the ships and return.

45. Dandria from NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica, and the whole 360 crew:

Just wanted to let you know that there have been suspected cases of swine flu here in NC. I received this information from the News & Observer in Raleigh. I'll keep you up-to-date.

46. denise

Hi Anderson,

I'm 4 months pregnant and my main concern is if a pregnant woman were to contract swine flu what options would be available because as far as I've read tamiflu and relenza have not been tested on pregnant women.

Thanks!
    Denise

47. jim sullivan

I own a gas station and handle cash. Can the swine flu be transmitted through money?

48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I like washing my hands even after I handle a lot of documents.

April 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Mike

I have a son just married and is on his honymoon that just arrived in Cancun yesterday. What should he do?

April 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Michael

I am scheduled for a Royal Caribbean cruise next weekend. Despite the state department and CDC statements to limit travel to Mexico, they will not change the ports. They keep telling my girlfriend and I that we are blowing this out of proportion and to relax they keep the boat clean. I am a future physician(graduate in May) so I disagree with their indifference and as a cruise veteran(20+) Ive seen hundreds of people get sick. Not good!

April 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm |