April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I heard someone today say 'why doesn't the U.S. send mass doses of Tamiflu (which I guess are stockpiled in the U.S.) to Mexico City.'

2. Koby

My friends and I are scheduled to go to Cabo San Lucas on Saturday for a week. Is everything closed and are a lot of people cancelling their trips to Mexico? And is it a significant health risk to go there?

3. Lori, Ontario, Canada

are the deaths that have occurred already because these patients went indiagnosed? Once aware of it it seems to be curable ... is this true?

4. Cristy Kirssin

For the Dr. Wolfe:

Should my friend leave early from Mexico and if so, how protective should she be durring travel?

5. Dimitri

As we are getting more and more information on this swine flu outbreak, I can assure you my subway commute from Queens into Manhattan will not feel comfortable tomorrow.

Dimitri

New York

6. Victoria

Hello Anderson, 360 team and fellow Bloggers.

7. Paul, Toronto

Hi Anderson, watching your show at 10pm Monday, tickers says 6 deaths in Canada should this not read 6 cases, 4 in Nova Scotia, 2 in BC????

8. Andrea

I know not all masks offer protection. Which kind of mask offers the best protection and can I get it at the local drugstore? How long should a mask be worn?

9. Judy`

My question is, is there anyway my dog can catch the swine flu? If so can she contact it from a human or another animal? If she would catch it and I did not have it, could I catch it from her?
    Judy

10. Paulette Howard

I saw on Anderson Coopers report that there have been 6 deaths confirmed in Canada. Please recheck your information. Our Canadian news is reporting that there are 6 mild cases in Canada.

11. George III

With so many different strains in this flu, is there a possibility that it came from a lab, or mutated naturally?

12. Lauren--NY

Hey, Anderson.

Rikki, you're right–but Anderson as a point that the median age being 16-18 is pretty unusual. It's usually young children and the elderly that get hit hard by influenza.

13. Roger Saenz

I live in Northern California and I can't find liquid Tamiflu for my two children. All the local pharmacies are out of stock and some are claiming a total US shortage. Please explain how we are supposed to help our young children get well if the only drug approved for young children is not available?

14. Susan

Should people who have had swine flu symptoms recently but have recovered be tested now for anntibodies or in case of a recurrance?

15. D

LANSING — The swine flu outbreak in Mexico and the U.S. likely has reached Michigan with the state health department announcing Monday that a 34-year-old Livingston County woman was diagnosed with a probable case of the virus.

16. austin

I'm going to kingsisland on sat. should i be worried or should i even go with a case already in ohio?

17. bella

how long will it saty?? and i havea friend that just came up from mexico and had babies with them and touch my babies could that be bad and could we have it

18. Renee

@ Jo Ann: I am feeling what you are saying. Always a good reminder to take a bath and wash your hands. (Trust me some people need a bath!) Yes, I wore a mask flying home from NYC.

19. Ann Marie

while traveling on long flights, is it recommended to wear a mask to protect myself from possibly getting infected from an infected person that may be on the flight?

20. Sherrie Jones

The news is talking about how to handle airline travel to Mexico, but no one is saying what someone with Cruise tickets to Cozumel and Progresso should do. Can you help? My boat leaves in 2 weeks and now this!

Thanks

21. Rebekah

@Marianne in Utah – i agree with what you said about the other diseases (SARS, avian flu, etc.) I remember the West Nile scare too and I really hope this isn't as bad as some people are saying it may become.

on being told not to panic – nice idea, but sometimes that makes people panic more. just saying. but i can see the logic behind that because the last thing we need during a scare like this is to have hundreds of people swarm hospitals because they think they have it and then have it turn out to be nerves or something.

infrared testing is genius. nice going on the airports' part.

22. Krasi, Houston, TX

Good evening everyone,

Can't believe some airlines are actually ready to work with people on rescheduling and refunds. Great initiative and hopefully they'll follow up on it.

23. Caroline, Los Angeles

Wow! Infrared cameras for fever. That's some technology!

24. Sonia

Could you please ask
    What are the Chances of this flu Spreading to FLORIDA???

25. Esma

@ Dr. Wolfe–is my overuse of hand sanitizer helping to curb my chance of contracting this flu?

26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...I absoltuely agree about the hyped media attention. Let's just hope we remain correct–I dont want to see it hit level 6.

27. Mark

There have been six cases of swine flu reported in Canada not 6 deaths. No need to add to the hysteria.

28. ashley

can we get the swine flu through misquito bites?
    and why is the us allowing travelers come into the us, as well going to mexico? should'nt we put a stop on this for atleast a week? doesn't the health officials realize that this would be beneficial?

29. ericacnn

hi, everyone. what a day! the good news: a ton of very helpful, impt information tonight on the show

30. Vera

There are huge Cruise ships leaving from New Orleans going to Mexico. These ships will return to New Orleans and deposit all of the passengers in New Orleans. How safe is this?

31. Carlos del Castillo

I think people are dying in Mexico because in Mexico people don't go to the doctor on time. They go to the drug store and buy antibiotics and other medicines. I think the people that are dying went to the hospital when it was too late.

32. Jacob, New York

Because of how afraid people are about Swine Flu and because I am a biology major myself, I wanted to know more about it. What would you suggest as the best ways to prevent against it? Is it passed through the air, water, or by contact? I figure if I know these things, the people that ask me will better be informed when I tell them how to react. Thanks!

33. Shelley, Seattle, WA

So the Swine flu generally has a high fever then?

34. Steve - southern Illinois

There is a huge difference between panic and preparedness. I don't see anyone panicking.

35. Nestor

Hi everyone, greetings from méxico, I live about 1and a half hour from mexico city and here (Pachuca) everyone's starting to panic a lot, people are going to everystore open to perform buy all they can, we are all very worried if this thing gets worse, what are the actions that can be taken by the govt. and authorities?

36. Lori

My fifteen year old daughter returned from Mexico on Saturday night. How many days before I know if she has contracted Swine flu?

37. Cristy Kirssin

I just told my friend who is in Mexico to let us know what it is like at the resort...

38. Cara

Aloha!
    I'm scheduled to fly to san diego for a couple nites and then board a carnival cruise ship for four days stopping in catalina and ensenada baja mexico. Of course we aren't going to get off the boat in mexico but I'm wondering if I need to seriously think about cancelling this trip??

39. Shirley

In Texas, have a slight sore throat and feel tired. Drinking hot chocolate and just took an extra dose of Vitamin C
    Psychosomatic? Maybe. Not scared.

40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

we have had a couple different scares over the past couple years...sars, avian flu and neither have turned into a pandemic...I really don't think that this is going to either....

41. Isabel

Thank you, Anderson!

This will be great and very useful

42. Kristina

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and live in Schertz, TX where they have confirmed 3 cases of Swine Flu and they have shut down all schools and public parks for a week. They keep talking about the elderly, teens and kids, but what will happen to pregnant women? Can pregnant women take Tamiflu? Kind of worries me.

43. Andrea

I checked the WHO website earlier in the day and they don't seem to be doing frequent updates. Where is best place to find accurate, up-to-the- minute information for worldwide stats?

44. tracy m

What are the symptoms of swine flu?

45. Jennifer

How many deaths must there be before an epidemic?

46. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

@ Dr. N. Wolfe- I am still confused as to what the symptoms are. I know that they entail a fever, coughing, etc, but how can I be sure that I might have something more than just the flu before I rish over to my doctor and waster her time?

47. Angie DeBlieux

I live in Los Angeles and had flu like symptoms 5 weeks ago and went to Urgent Care. I was given an antibiotic Z pack and a Pro-Air inhaler. My concern is that 5 weeks later my throat is still sore everyday and have this hacky cough that won't go away.
    Please address is there are lingering symptoms with the Swine Flu and is it too late to be tested for the possibility of Swine flu 5 weeks later?

Thanks,
    Angie
    adeblieux@aol.com

48. Chas

Just wondering if your news crew in Mexico are on any prophylaxis against the swine flu?

49. Cessy, Chicago

good evening everyone! what a very busy night!

first this swine virus issue...lots to know... but the false alarm plane in New York ???? definitely NOT cool.

50. Caroline, Los Angeles

My first question for Dr. Wolfe-why have so many people died in Mexico from it? And what do they die of? A secondary infection?

April 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |