April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Miss J

I find this point so interesting about healthy, young adults being more susceptible to the swine flu.

yeah, why is that again? why does a strong immune system make one more susceptible?

April 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Michael

i am a student at a high school in kansas and was wondering how the swine virus starts and how can hurt you worse than the regular flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. sharon

Our 6-year old son was very sick two weeks ago with a high fever for 5 days, sore throat, etc. (symptons of the swine flu). I took him to the ped's office and he tested positive for influenza. e has since fully recovered. Could he have had the swine flu back then? Should we have him tested again for this type of flu? thank you

4. Kathleen

Cruise ships: If non-essential travel is not reccomended, why are we allowing cruise ships to stop in Mexico when we know cruise ships have had issues with fast spreading viruses in the past?

5. Rebekah

loved that Anderson. "don't freak out."
    that's a little too late for some people, but thank you for the reassurance =]

6. Cal

I will be traveling on a plane this week. Should I use a mask?

7. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Night everyone. Anderson, Erica and CNN...

Thanks for all the information. Have a wonderful evening and week! Stay safe and well!

8. Lizzy

hey~ im from somewhere in asia and i was planning to go to canada alone, but im scared to go at the airport, should i still go or should i just cancel my flight?, by the way..im 13 yrs old ^__^

9. John Vasquez

Im 15 and allready exsperiencing some syptoms will texas schools close down for fear of outbreak in texas and what are school idministrations doing about this matter?

10. Justan

We are traveling from Orlando to Indianapolis. We have a 6 month old and my wife is pregnant should we cancel our trip?

11. Martha

Hi Anderson!!!
    I'm worried since two cases of the swine flu have just been confirmed in Starr county. I live by the border and am very concerned since residents freely go in and out of Mexico on a daily basis. Wouldn't this create a greater chance for this flu to spread?

12. Tom K Frankfort NY

As far as transmitting the virus, from what was said on TV it is transmitted by vapor droplets when sneezing, coming in contact with the virus on a surface. It is why they recommend hand sanitizing and avoiding touching your nose or mouth. These are probably the most common ways to acquire the virus.

13. Sandra Foster/Madisonville, KY

I am a insulin dependant diabetic......50 yr old female. Does that mean I am more likely to get this virus than the average american?

14. Cis

Why "pandemic" and not first "epidemic"?

15. Jan

I had a swine flu shot years ago. Are the folks that had this shot so long ago afforded any additional immunity to this strain years later?

16. Margarite

Why hasn't anyone aknowledged the fact that Mexico has a very poor health care system? It is a poor country not educated in regards to health care nor does it have the resourses that the United States has in regards to medication and education. Most American medicine cabinets have Ibuprofen or Motrin to treat symptoms. People in Mexico do not have these resources.

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. ericacnn

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Dennis Rooney

At what point does the next alert level get enacted? What exactly would the next alert level mean?

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. brett

just back from peurta vallarta and was a large influx of people from mexico city and we did not know about this until we where back in canada due to no english. we have not been feeling well and are wondering where the candian cases travelled to and how long it may take to show?

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Dawn

I think every plan should be shut down and desenfecte....every seat. bar. pole, ect. I would like to know if this is going on.

Where can normall everyday people receive their mask and gloves?

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Carol Gage

Is it dangerous to travel to Cancun I have heard different things some say it is safe and others say it is not. I talked to the CDC and they said their is no outbreak in Cancun is that true. And are they wearing masks in Cancun Airport? Also I was told that the school children that were in new york not only went to cancun but they went to Mexico City before coming to NY is that true.

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Ajay Jain

Dr Wolfe: Other than Diarrhea and vomiting in addition to the general flu symptoms are there OTHER symptoms that distinguish Swine Flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Jim

I am going to Cancun in June for a wedding; do you think I should cancel my plans in light of the flu epidemic?

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Gordon Garmaise

We appreciate your efforts to provide balanced news on the swine flu outbreak without sowing panic. One way to advance this objective would be to correct the repeating news banner that asserts that there have been six deaths in Canada attributed to this flu. There have been six cases of the flu confirmed in Canada but no deaths attributed to it; all affected seem to be recovering nicely.

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Hermann Heise

Once infected, how long does it take to see or feel the symptoms and how long is the infected person contagious?

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Terry

I got a swine flu vaccination 32 years ago while I was in the Army. Will that give me protection now?

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. John Buckley

My mother has been constantly relating this outbreak to the 1918 influenza pandemic, do you think that this may become that serious, and how should we prepare if so.

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Frances

Can my pets aquire and spread the flu too?

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Helen

I would like to hear from Dr. CJ Peters, the retired director of the CDC. He is an epidemiologist that specializes in viral pathogens. He has been on the ground directly involved with outbreaks of hanta, lassa, dengue, ebola, and many many other viruses. He has much more experience than any other specialists I am seeing on tv. Plus no longer being on the pay roll of the CDC means he is free to openly discuss the outbreaks. Believe me the government will keep info from the public to avoid panic.

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. John Vasquez

America is the richest country in the world why wont we put our money in to use like finding a cure to the swine flu insted of buying and making weapons

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Julie

Hi-
    My question is that my daughter's preschool teacher has just gone on her honeymoon to Cancun for the week. Should I be concerned sending her to preschool when her teacher returns? Thank you- Julie (from Detroit)

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Ashley

If you aren't exposed to the virus, can you still get sick? Is it that contagious that you can still get it even if you weren't exposed?

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Gerrie

At what time in our emergency prepardness measures to protect against the spread of swine flu do we close the border and stop travel from Mexico, the area with the higest incidence of outbreak? Can the US set up quarintine procedures for people entering the country from Mexico or other areas of increased swine flu incidence? Given that people are asymptomatic for some time period at what time do we use quarantine measures to protect the spread?

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  34. cicly

so.... my girl comes home for lunch today and tells me there's a girl in her class that just came back from mexico this past weekend. this girl was at school today. the school didn't know any thing about it. ( i called.) so, what to do. do i keep her home tomorrow? nobody's being checked at airports here, besides, there's incubation. she's upset that i don't want her to go. what to be done?

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  35. Jared

I have developed all the symptoms of Swine Flu (except vomiting) after a cruise to the Bahamas. I listed off the symptoms I've experienced so far to my doctor and she said "that doesn't sound like the flu." How educated are our doctors on this flu!? I looked it up on the CDC website to confirm what the real symptoms were, and if my doctor were educated she would know they all match. Regardless of what I caught you would think a health care professional would be a little more...professional. Use some due diligence. I was sent home with some cough syrup- it helps little.

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  36. Martin

I just read that the CDC is not gonna make some type of vacine, why not? why not stop it before it gets worst???

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Lynne

Hi Anderson and Erica, I have an allergy to egg based vacines and there for have never been able to get a Flu Shot. So what are the treatments for people like me who are unable to get a shot or even take Therma Flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  38. Harsh Pandey

Hi Anderson, Dr Gupta:

Thanks a lot for making us aware and more informed about something that may get notorious if not taken seriously.
    My son is diagnosed with pnemonia today, should we worry about swine flu. Is it related .

Thanks
    Harsh

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  39. Miss J

Vritually every one of the recnt list of killers around the countty have been similar in one haunting detail: They were quiet, seemingly normal, even accomplished. What about that college professor who killed the people at the theatre group over the weekend?

That seemed to be a domestic case. One of the victims is his estranged wife.

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  40. kevin_from_michigan

Louis Caldera gets the "What were You Thinking? Award of the Day. Anyone want to start a pool as to when his resignation will be placed on the president's desk tomorrow? If it isn't there by 5 pm, Obama should just fire him. It is amazing that a former Secretary of the Navy could have such poor judgement.

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Jennifer

Hi Everyone- I am from Howell Michigan which is very close to the case that has been reported here in Michigan. The report states that the woman is from Livingston County and went to a Brighton Mi urgent care where they suspect she will be confirmed with the swine flu.
    My question is .... do you feel its safe to send our children to school tomorrow? My husband wants to keep them home through the rest of this week since this case is within 15 miles from our home and school. I don't know what to do??

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  42. anna

they should close all fast food restaurant because it spreed faster and everyone should use a health mask, and schools should donate vaccine to the student .

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. David Love

Cooper,

What does it take to get Carnival to reroute cruise ships if they are endangering the public by taking passengers to Mexico????

According to Carnival today you lose your money if you don’t take the cruise even though our government is telling us to stay out of Mexico ?

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Ashley

Travelling from TX to China in a week, what kind of problems might I encounter w/ the Chinese govt? Any precautions or supplies?

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Rebecca

My mother had a kidney transplant 10 months ago and is planning to travel to Europe this weekend all by herself. I am afraid she will be at high risk at the airport as well as in the plane, since her immune system is suppressed. Do you recommend such high-risk people not to travel at this times? What precautions can she take?

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Rebekah

WOW that plane was ridiculous. i'd like to slap that pilot. there must have been so many terrified people thinking it could be another 9/11 (no one else wants to say it so i will.)

hectic night tonite guys, good job with the comment moderation and
    @Anderson – great job tonite! very calm, cool and collected... in fact, i'm beginning to wonder if you can break a sweat...

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Jill

I have heard that the swine flu originated at a CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operation) in Mexico, is this true?

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Atlanta

@Dr. Wolfe or Dr. Gupta–I volunteer in a hospital ER...how worried should I be about the swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Deepak

Regarding the Craigslist killer– you reported he was in debt of $130,000 in student loans as a motive for his crimes. Most medical students are in debt of 100K to 200K. So this so-called revelation is not surprising, and is definitely not the reason for his crimes.

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Ujjwal

Are the symptoms for Swine virus just like the symptoms for any other seasonal flu? How can one know when infected whether it is just an ordinary flu or Swine flu? Did this virus outbreak started from the animals or birds?

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |