April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ted

Dr.Wolfe: I am travelling from Canada to Tuluum, Mexico at the end of this week for vacation. It appears there may be several cases of some form of influenza returning to the USA via Cancun. Would you advise my family and I to cancel the trip?

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Nattada, Houston TX

My computer is suuperr slow tonight and froze a couple times. If it can sneeze,too, I will be so convinced that it catchs the flu. Maybe not swine flu, though.

I love Suze Orman. I like her sincereness and her straight forward advices. Like to see her on the show.

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. roy gerson

someone needs to GET REAL. a virus is so small it cannot even be seen by the electron microscope. So what good does a mask do???
    Can the doctor help answer this question

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Janet Bagwell

my daughters in laws are in mexico right now to return wed april 29. am concerned they could be bringing flu back, may not have symptoms when they come wed, but may come in few days. are planning to spend night with my daughter, her husband and my 3 year old granddaughter then return to their home on thursday to PA. they think I'm crazy for thinking they should go to hotel for the one night. please have someone comment. a worried grandmother

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Nancy Lennon

PLEASE, PLEASE get the MEDIA to communicate that sneezing and coughing into your ELBOW not your hands.
    Yes, washing hands is important BUT we don't pick up pencils, phones, or touch door knobs with our elbows.

Nancy Lennon
    Beaverton, ON

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Diana

I personally just cant understand why we are letting people still travel in/out of Mexico. I know we "already" have cases here in the U.S. but why let people still travel into Mexico.

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Jeannie

Dear Anderson,

I want to respond to the Phil Markoff story about his student loan debt – The fact that a grad student is $130,000 in debt because of student loans is nothing remarkable, nor is the fact that he's been unemployed for a number of years – he went straight from college into med school. Please don't sensationalize.

Thanks,
    Jeannie

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Ritta

We are suppose to be leaving for Matazalan next week and flying through Mexico City. We have been waiting almost a year for this trip. Do you think we should cancel??

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Maureen T, Canada

Hey Anderson, are you one of the 100 most influential people? I think you are should be!

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Fareha

I am pregnant, can I eat fruits imported from Mexico?

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Denise

i have a question about the swine flu, can we take tamaflu as a precation? If so can we get it over the counter?

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Isabel

360 team,

You have many useful information. Today, during the day, many misinformation on the subject ... people get lost!

Thanks

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Mark Brozk

I suggest that Airlines will offer masks on domestic & International flights in comming days - but they will cost $25.00 or free if our fling 1st class. Another revenue stream for beleagered air industry

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Marko in Calgary

Hello from Canada, eh? lol

As a university student in the midst of political science and biology finals, this is of major concern to me. My main question tying the two together:

Due to our differences in health care in Canada and the US as compared to Mexico, primarily being the difference in availability of flu shots, is the a fear that, although the virus seems harmless now, that it could mutate and be transmitted as a different strain?

Thanks, and glad to chat with the CNN team, the Flames say hi lol.

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. John

How can the swine virus be stopped? Is our government working hard to tackle this serious issue because I am concern of my family members who reside in Mexico.

Thanks

O

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Miss J

I read Suzy Orman's bio a few months back. Very interesting lady.

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Patty

Since the Swine Flu can live on such things as dollars to door knobs, I'm wondering if it can live on our food supply? We get lots of our produce from Mexico. In addition to this getting on our food in the 'usual' way, should we be concerned about it getting into our food through bad irrigation methods? (Infected people or pigs living close to water sources for vegetation??) Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Jen in Mex

If the US closes the borders, Americans must be aware that other nations – European Community for example, will close their borders as well, to them! There has been so much travel to date I really don't see how closing would help. In case this does happen, what happens to all the people who are stuck overseas????

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Lisa

I'm trying to get pregnant and have a trip planned for L.A. this weekend. I'm nervous about airports etc. Should I cancel my trip to L.A.? Would you recommend not trying to get pregnant right now? I live in Texas.

I had the Hong Kong flu as an infant in London in 1969. My parents were told that I would not survive but I made it. So obviously I'm nervous about this virus and how it might affect an unborn fetus.

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Suja

How do you diagnose the swine flu?
    What are some signs should we keep a lookout for?

April 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Caroline, Los Angeles

OK, I gotta go. Sneeze and cough into your elbows people!

April 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Julie

I had the Swine Flu shot in 1976–will it protect me now?

April 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. sabry

how do we know if we have the virus and what the best thing to get rid of it ?

April 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Lee Olivas

I contacted the Hong Kong flu in the 70s and almost died from it. So naturally, I am not thrilled to see this happening now. I wonder if I have any antibodies from that flu for this one...

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. John Vasquez

If people want to stop the chance of the flu they should stop puting there mask under there nose i tried to get one but there sold out everywhere.I wish i had one.

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Lizz Drummond

I and a US citizen who lives in Mexico part-time in the State of Jalisco which so far has not had a big outbreak of swine flu. I am planning on driving to Cuidad Juarez and crossing into Texas and New Mexico next week. What can I expect at the border from US immigration? Can they turn me back if I am not sick? Lizz

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Margaret

I work out a lot. And the gym is usually a pool full of germs from sweat – how do I prevent myself from it all? Should I just avoid the gym, period?

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Lisa

I see footage of people with cloth masks over their faces, but aren't those useless for the swine flu?

Isn't it true that N-100 level, true hepa filter masks, as used by both the WHO and the CDC- are the ONLY effective face masks for the prevention of the spread of this virus, or any of its kind?

Thank you for helping me find out the real answer to this question.

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Vincent

Someone mentioned earlier in the show that 30,000 people die each year from the flu ..... can Dr. Wolfe, or anyone else, explain how many people get the flu shot and STILL get the flu anyway, and exactly what percentage of the flu strains are covered by the vaccine ....... ?

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. CJ

I live in Portland, Oregon. I traveled to Mexico City last week and about a day after I returned I began having flu-like symptoms. The symptoms have been mild, but have been getting more acute. Last night was really bad. I have all the symptoms except for high fever. I contacted my doctor last night, but they have yet to call me in to get tested. I also contacted my county health department, and they too were dismissive. When I asked the Kaiser Permanente nurse why they were taking so long, she said: "sir, you are the only person who has called us about this." What should I do to get tested and find out if I need treatment?

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Rebekah

well i guess there's a little bright side to this Swine Flu... maybe this will draw attention to all of the people living without health care

April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. LorenaR

have not seen people wearing masks on the street, and i am in San Diego very close to the border; we have had one school closed here. we need to urge people to not give in to the Twins of Disaster, PANIC, and RUMOR. instead, common sense, calmness, and plenty of hand sanitizer should help to avert, and contain, this threat. here's hoping for the news to turn positive.

33. Maren in Oregon

Vritually every one of the recnt list of killers around the countty have been similar in one haunting detail: They were quiet, seemingly normal, even accomplished. What about that college professor who killed the people at the theatre group over the weekend?

34. Nasser

Hi all! This seems to be serious. I am an International student here in MA, the embassy of the kingdom of Bahrain sent us warning regarding swine flue! Now I always carry my Sanitizer!

"Swine Flu Alert: A never-before-seen form of the flu that combines pig, bird and human viruses has infected eight people in California and Texas .The symptoms are not much different than the regular flu , mostly involving fever, cough and sore throat, though some of the victims also experienced vomiting and diarrhea. Please stick to the basics to avoid getting sick. You should be washing your hands, not touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your fingers. Make sure, if you are sick, not to go to school. See a doctor immediately. Take care and keep safe."

35. Linda Gerecz-Leach

I had the swine flu vaccine in 1976....does that protect me now or is this another strain?
    thanks

36. Rachelle

hi. i'd just like to know if travelling is still safe. my family is worried that our vacation trip to new zealand might be unsafe for the family.

37. Krasi, Houston, TX

I am just relieved that the wedding is canceled. This case is becoming more complicated with a lot of new information coming out.

38. marcia

I am in so. florida. Why are we not closing schools temporarily until we know a little more about swine flu instead of waiting for it to hit our schools. work can be sent home, it can be online. better be safe than sorry. At least 1 week, to gather information and maybe prevent an outbreak. Kids just returned from spring break. Don't know where they went.

39. Laura - Va

Photo op? What were they thinking.

40. Margaret

I work out at the gym – alot. How do I protect myself from germs – especially when the majority people are sweating? Should I stay out of germs?

41. Suja

this one is for Dr.Gupta,

How do you exactly diagnose the swine flu? What are some signs people should be on the lookout for?

42. Jane

My daughter was in Mexico City in February. In March she came down with incredible flu like symptoms and was very sick. CBCs reported no normalities but more than likely mono. Her fevers were up and very bad sore throats. The swab culture for strep was normal. But did the doctors check for swine flu? Was it out then? Could she posssibly have had a case of it? She is fine now, it lasted a good ten days. Can it come back if she indeed had it?

43. melissa

I'm planning a trip to Cancun for my 25th birthday on May 30th. It "s upsetting to finally have saved up to travel and won't be able to go. Is it possible for this outbreak to last that long?

44. Kelly

I live in the neighborhood that a lot of the families live in who are effected by the flu in Queens. I heard that some of the kids who were tested positive were "hanging out" in the local McDonalds. Is anyone thinking of quarantining these kids and their families or tellng them they must stay inside till well? I called 311 and they said, "what do you want us to do."

45. Lorraine

What mask is needed to prevent swine flu transmission? N95 only or will any drug store mask do?

Thanks

46. Lisa Soldavini

Can food being brought in from Mexico be contaminated?

Why is the media not talking about the source? The AP has said that this was caused by the polution from a large pig processing plant in Mexico operated by Smithfield.

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Jenn

At times like this, it is important that all reported information be accurate.

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Lauren--NY

@Wayne–nothing really "kills" viruses because it's debatable as to whether they are technically alive. They're parasites; they need a host to mimic life.

I'm Lauren and I'm a 48 Hours addict...and you guys are not helping. 😛

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Maryjane

My co-worker is currently in Cancun Mexico and will be coming back later this week. She sit's about 5 feet away from me...should I be worried??

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Marty

I have come down with congestion, low grade fever and generally not feeling well. Do I need to be concerned this is Swine Flu? I don't feel horrible so I'm not sure that I need to see a doctor. Any recommendations?

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |