April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gina - Missouri

Whose idea was the low flying plane?

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Jay

With cases in N. York and S. Carolina associated with travel to Cancun, why is the Cancun area still reporting no cases of the flu? (We are scheduled to leave for Cancun in 3 days).

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Isabel

After 11/09 the people were not the same! Some people must have been scared with the plane flying so low

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Brooke

My parents have a 50th birthday celebration planned in Mexico this Wednesday. It looks like they will no longer be going on their trip but I wonder whether or not this swine flu is so bad. Do you think it's just another scare?

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Not much of a surprise that the wedding was cancelled...I still feel for and my heart goes out to the fiance who is trying to pick up the pieces after her life shattered around her....

April 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Donna Rosado

This is the time, we should take all precautions and protect ourselves from the swine flu. All I know, if I wake up tomorrow and the count keeps going up... and the next day.. and the next day... it will be time for me to take my kids out of school, take leave and stay home until the swine flu outbreak is down...

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Brando

Just how serious is this threat? It seems like the numbers are small and the flu itself is easily contained, should we really be this worried?

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Dr. Wolfe, I seriously admire your work! As a biologist, I must say that you have a dream job (that being the one of trying to save the human race from those yet unknown).

Also thought that you were great in the PIP show!

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Patricia Saiia

Should any precautions be taken for anyone traveling by air in the US?

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  10. paul

Anderson, the CDC recommends a N-95 mask for emergency responders when treating people with respiratory concerns. Are there several types of N-95 masks or are all N-95 the same?

Thanks

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This Markoff story is getting more sordid by the day. Sensational, to say the least. This is the kind of stuff that sells newspapers.

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Ken

one difference I know from experience, is the US is generaly cleaner than here in Mexico. here they use bleach and pinsol. In States we use things like lysol as well. Things are generaly cleaner. Also as I mentioned earlier we can't find Temaflu here at all. Also masks are out of stock.

I also saw a report that possibly first case started in Feb in a small village called La Gloria (I don't know if its true or not though).

April 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Lilibeth

Even if you don't have swine flu right now, as a precaution, can you go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for antivirals, just in case?

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  14. jane

In response to the correspondent saying customs officials are 'passively observing' those going through... I just came back from Cancun last night at 8:30pm and I had not heard one thing about the swine flu outbreak. The customs officials did not seem to observe carefully, nor were they wearing any masks to suggest any sort of outbreak. I was shocked to see how big this was in the news and I was in Mexico for the past 4 days and heard nothing about it!

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. curt

We have a cruise booked for may 2 to mexico if the who raises to level 5 will mexico close their ports?

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Carolyn Dixon

Why didn't the medical officials check out folks who got off of a cruise ship in New Orleans this morning. The students ( 4 days cruise to Mexico) have not had any medical attention and are scheduled to return back to school on tomorrow. How can we help this community before an outbreak of the swine flu happen? The students attend Point Coupee Central High School in Morganza, LA. HELP

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Dr. Wolfe

Do we have enough Tamiflu stocked for worse case scenario?

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Renne'

Hi, I took my daughter a couple weeks ago because she had a major sore throat, body aches, but no fever now that its in its third week, Im concerened about this swine flu, she is still coughing which causes pain in her chest and throat, she feels feverish as well. There are a number of students at her school that have the same symptoms, should I be concerend about this being the swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Ami

I love this show – Anderson you are a top notch journalist!

I have a question for Dr. Gupta. Is using an alcohol based hand sanitizer (like Purell) effective against swine-flu? I have to be on a plane tomorrow. Thanks. – Ami

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. mike

safe to go to Cabo St. Lucas, mexico– or is this area prone to swine flu as well???

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Patricia McFarland

Do masks and gloves help? I'm flying tomorrow. Should I invest in them? I thought Dr. Gupta said that they don't help on Sunday morning, but he had one on tonight.
    What about mutations? Didn't the 1918 flu seemingly die out, only to return worse than ever several months later?

22. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I need a laugh, no more flu nonsense..... 🙁

23. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Not traveling to Mexico could mean a bump in tourism in the U.S..

24. Andrea - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Is it the flu that is causing the deaths or something else such as an over-taxed immune system?

25. MiaHawk

Earlier news reported:
    -a 48 hour incubation period.
    -that flu virus can live up to a week on a surface
    -be vigiliant with hand washing, disinfect surfaces with cleaners
    -in US swabs done in mouth, test for influenza A, then they further send out the swab for further testing/typing. Testing results may not be available for days. But it doesn't really matter, bc treatment is the same regardless if it is 'reg flu' or 'swine flu'. Treat symptoms/fevers.

26. cody nash

just returned friday night from porta vallarta mexico, was there mon – fri. there were people there from mexico city, canada, my question is have you heard of any sickness from that area and should we be concerned. my husband takes cipro will that help? or should we go to the doctor and ask for tamiflu. thanks

27. Vanessa, TX

Is hospital best option if you have symptoms of the flu? don't you run the risk for infecting other ppl?

28. Ally

I'm going to Puerto Rico on Thursday should I be concerned?

29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I always have Purell instant hand sanitizer with me all times, most everyday!!!!

30. Kelly

What is the herd theory of infectious disease and how would it apply to the swine flu outbreak?

31. Larry

How bad is the situation in California? Any good guesses?

32. tyrone

anything outside of tamaflu for treatment?

33. Nathan Wolfe

@ Maggie - we still don't know if the current vaccine will afford any protection against the new circulating swine flu. Because this appears to be a very different virus, it might be expected to afford minimal protection if any

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Sandra Robertson

Question for Dr. Wolfe. Are people who received the influenza vaccine less likely to acquire swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Adrian

Swine influenza is not a new virus and the hype of this outbreak is terrible. This virus has eight parts to it’s genetic make up. Only two of the eight are different than what is typically seen in wildtype virus. The most important gene that promotes attachment of this virus to our nasal passageways and lungs is NOT one of the genes that mutated to allow it to be a more harmful virus. If that were the case, then yes we would have much more cause for concern. Your best defense from this specific strain and all other strains of influenza is to take a proactive approach by getting more than 8 hours of rest and include a drink like”V8” in your diet. Mexico has a nationalized health care system and a public mind set that going to the doctor will make you worse. They are set up for failure in this type of situation. Our country is much more health conscious and proactive.

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Jennifer C.

13 students and an unknown number of teachers went to Cancun and 12 students and 1 teacher came back sick and were said to have the Swine Flu. The 1 student who did not get sick regardless of being exposed to the same people for 5 days, did he or she have a natural immunity? Is that even possible? This is a virus that is said to have never been exposed to humans, however I Googled it earlier and there was a Swine Flu scare in 1979....

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Tom K

During the outbreak of SARS in China, the government took the step
    of killing many poultry in an effort the reduce the chances of transmitting the bird flu virus. Would eliminating the numbers of pigs be an effective measure at this time to reduce the transmission of this flu or is it too late ?

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. susie

who are more at risk kids, teens, mid-age people or older people? is there a shot for it yet? what are the updates on the lab work?

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. mike

Safe to travel to Cabo St. Lucas, mexico, or does the smae go for this area as well???

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Dr. Wolfe, If this thing jumped once from a pig to a human what would prevent that from happening again? I am a vegetarian so it won't affect me, but do you think it is premature for people to be saying you can't get it from food?

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Erin in Dallas

In answer to Brad's question, a second flu shot will not help you more if you already have gotten one last fall. There is evidence that a regular flu shot might help you some, but will not protect you fully.

April 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Michael

how does this swine disease affect you and end up killing you?

April 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Marianne in Utah

@Don Miklas: in answer to your question, the CBS Evening News mentioned tonight the regular flu shot will NOT give protection against this strain of flu.

April 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Marilyn

As a retired nurse who worked 20 years in a hospital, I can't understand why we are not isolating Mexico. When patients come into the hospital they are immediately isolated with these symptoms. Why wait for a pandemic? Allowing people to come and go into Mexico is only going to create a larger problem. Isolation would keep it from going global.

April 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Mary

As a healthcare worker who is in constant direct contact with residents of a nursing home, no one has yet to tell me if I should wear a mask or step-up precautions other than frequent hand washing which I have taken it upon myself to do. Should wearing a mask be a requirement at this point?

April 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. vanessa

I live in Toronto, Canada and i recently booked a flight for May 14th to attend my sister's graduation in Wichita Falls , Texas. I wondering if i should cancel my trip to the U.S. Note my 10 months old son will be travelling with me.

April 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Hana Jacob

How long does virus live on surfaces ? Does it live on outside of the face mask ? Or on raw food like salad?

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Deborah

We live in Southern CA -close to Mexican border...lots of families here visit Mexico often...high number of hispanic kids at son's highschool...kept him home today – until I could verify that school taking proactive preemptive measures to educate the kids...ie handwashing/making sure soap dispensers full/encouraging cough&sneeze to shoulder...school very nonchalant and no specific measures taken...I pointed out that they may need to think about having a "no hug zone" for the remainder of the week (kids -I have noticed do a lot of hugging in greeting each other) Very frustrated...what can parents do to encourage schools to open up communication with kids?
    *I was told that they were going to put up handwashing signs in the rest rooms...and a letter would be sent to parents...this school has a video system that they could use to educate and open dialogue but they weren't worried because "no kids were sick yet".

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Esma

I have decided not to worry about this flu, even if it hits a pandemic level. I'm not letting the pigs hold me back!!!

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. William Baker

Our family with multple children and young grandchildren are scheduled to leave for Cabo San Lucas on 5/9/09. We stay at a resort we have been to many times.
    If we are very careful with personal contact is it OK to go on our trip??
    Thanks