April 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/27/09

Tonight, we have late breaking details on the swine flu threat. There are reports of possible new cases here in the U.S. We'll tell you where and give you all the details that you need to know. Plus, Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be reporting live from Mexico City, where there are 172 suspected cases of swine flu.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the health scare during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want more details on swine flu and what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm not going to get the swine flu because I'm an average viewer sitting at home, watching TV? That assertion by Dr. Gupta is a little broad, isn't it?

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  2. Gary

@Michael in Michigan...it is the same virus and came from Mexico. It is not a tame version.

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gotta admire Dr. Gupta!
    Yeah Naissa, TX.....
    He is really amazing doctor, I hope Sanjay is stay safe from swine flu! he is right thing to do use the mask.

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Just to quote a tweet from Dr. Gupta, 36,000 people die of the flu every year in the US alone...I get thats its a bit scary but people die of the flu all the time...

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  5. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

@Shelly the only difference between this and the regular flu, is the very rapid fever that develops.

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  6. Michael C.

Thinking back to the Spanish Flu of 1918, the second wave was much worse than the first one.

In the case of our current swine flu... if you come down with it now, would you be immune from a possible stronger strain of the same flu (A/H1N1) a few months down the road?

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  7. Isabel

The people are dying in Mexico while in most other countries there are reports of mild cases to date, with nearly all patients recover. Why are there this diference?

April 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  8. Lori, Boston

Hi Anderson,

It's frightening to hear about the effects of this flu. Thanks for the details.

April 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  9. Julie - Boston

Was on the subway this morning in nyc and saw several elderly with masks. Kind of freaky.

April 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  10. Janine from PA.

Good evening to all on 360;
    Wasn't there a whole worry about swine flu years ago and they made all this vaccine but nothing ever happened? Or am I thinking of another flu? I hope it all dies down soon, we don't need anymore bad news.

April 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  11. Martha

I'm a border resident and concerned that the Swine flu will turn into a pandemic. Two positive cases have already been reported today ,and a middle school has closed for the week.

April 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  12. Shelley, Seattle, WA

Do we know why patients in Mexico are dying, but yet those in the States have not suffered the same fate? Thankfully.

April 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  13. Esma

Of course CNN got in, it's CNN!!! Thank you guys for all of your hard work!

April 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  14. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike...I agree with the closing the borders. Can you quarantine people in the U.S (effectively)?

April 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  15. Jennifer

I wonder how many people out there have the symptoms of the swine flu but aren't going to the hospital or doctor because they don't have health care?

April 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  16. Lori from IL

Good evening all - Anderson, Erica, Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers.

With the ease and frequency of international travel these days, it sure doesn't take long for disease to spread. I am happy to learn that the WH is taking early action and so many are busy at work trying to learn as much as they can about the virus –

Hope Sanjay and his team stay "swine flu" free.

April 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  17. Lauren--NY

Good evening, everyone. My best wishes to Dr. Gupta so that he remains healthy while reporting from Mexico during this time. Let's hope he gets home quickly.

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  18. Michael in Michigan

Is the swine flu likely going to get worse in the rest of the U.S. or stay this "tame" version?

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hell everyone! May we all are in good health!

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  20. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings all!
    Ok, Dr. Gupta says don't panic....eh, er, ok,

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  21. Shelley, Seattle, WA

Is it possible to report to viewers what the symptoms are for Swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  22. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, et al (& Dr. Gupta of course)

Good evening fellow bloggers.

Swine flu a true concern....need to take a step at a time.

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  23. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Saw Sanjay's picture on twitpic...all of those people in masks! Seriously looks like a scene from a horror movie.

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so scary one I have I heard last week!!!!!! Is that way who have not take shot for that? or If they willing take shot right away to doctor.

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Gary

People in Mexico are dieing. Patients in the U.S. are recovering. Clearly, evidence of our failing health care system.

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Maren in Oregon

No cases in Oregon or Washington reported as of tonight. But, today, because of a coughing woman at the store, I left my nearly empty cart, and left the store! I felt stupid, but I felt a little scared too.

April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening. Is the swine flu really that much more threatening than the flus we go through year-after-year. Are we being just a little too panicky? We know thens of thousands die every year from the flu. How is the swine flue different?

April 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  28. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Gotta admire Dr. Gupta!

April 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  29. Shelley, Seattle, WA

Wow, I cannot believe the news on the Swine flu. So sad!

April 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  30. Isabel

Anderson,

Confirmed cases of swine flu in Mexico, USA, Canada, Spain and the UK.

A month ago you were in Mexico; after, you were in England; in NY has a few confirmed cases as well.

Do you fear the swine flu? What precautions do you have? How do you feel?

April 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  31. Marianne in Utah

I wonder if cases of the swine flu have reached the Baja area?

April 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Mike, Syaracuse, NY

Well the genie is out of the bottle. We should have closed the boarder and cut air travel with Mexico, and quarantined anyone in the US who has it. Too late now.

April 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Ted Eldridge

Anderson,

I have a small, walking tour business in Savannah, Georgia. Many from various sections of the country who have scheduled tours with me in the next few weeks are concerned enough that they are contacting me to ask if their reservations can be cancelled if they become concerned about flying.

It appears this is going to affect all areas of the culture and economy. Accurate reporting with realistic concern and suggestions is going to be critical.

Thanks.

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  34. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and my fellow evening conversationalists...Hope all of you had a good weekend...

...I have to agree with the President on this one...its ok to be concerned but we should not be really alarmed at this point....

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  35. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes, I was traveling this week-end. I hope I didn't pass anyone infected at the airports.

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  36. Rebekah

evening Anderson, Erica, AC360 team

i have to admit, i wasn't even remotely afraid of the Swine flu outbreak... until i saw today's local newspaper reporting that there was a suspected case of the pig flu in Michigan. i almost choked on my own spit.
    now i'm nervous... we even started talking about it in my AP Econ class today! and my mom's a nurse so she's FREAKING out. she wanted to buy us surgical masks but my dad talked her out of it.

can't wait to hear more coverage on this...

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

Thank you for your report on the swine flu and I am praying there is a quick recovery.

I trust people have the chance to go to the doctor and do flu precaution things (e.g annual flu vaccination, increase general hygiene and good nutrition).

Best wishes to the AC360 team.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Isabel

We are on the level of pandemic alert phase 4 (scale of 1 to 6). That scares!

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Maria

Happy evening Anderson, Erica, Ac360 team and bloggers

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Marianne in Utah

What a difference a weekend makes.

April 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Cristy Kirssin

Hi Anderson, Erica,

My friend is in Mexico now and says she is hoping she will not have to come home early beacause of swine flu...

April 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, and my friend twitter/Facebook bloggers!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!

I have one person unconfirm in Seattle area due swine flu, also I am aware of that.

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  43. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Happy Monday bloggers! I have managed to avoid the Swine flu! 😀 lol

Happy Monday Anderson and Erica!

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  44. Kat

My spouse's coworker has been vacationing in Mexico for the past 7 days. Returned on Sunday with sore throat, congestion, and frequent coughing. Got sick last two days of their vacation. He/she says he/she is feeling better, so will not be going to doctor. However they are coughing loudly and frequently enough that they make my spouse jumpy. Am I acting like an alarmist by being concerned?

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Vanessa, TX

Hiya Anderson,Erica, my smartees..good evening to all.. :):

This swine flu is getting kinda scary! If we suspect someone may have swine flu, should they go to the hospital and risk infecting anybody else in the ER?

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Isabel

Evening, Anderson!

Hi, 360 team!
    Hi, friends and bloggers

I wish that everyone is without symptoms of flu!

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Paul Sealey

I am leaving for Europe on Friday, May 1. I am from New Mexico where there have been no reported cases of the Swine Flu so far. But, since New Mexico borders Mexico, could this pose any problems for me at the airports when arriving in Switzerland, Germany or Italy?

Thanks,

Paul

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Esma

Hey everyone: Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, Dr. Gupta, all at AC360, the Tribe, and all the bloggers!
    I have not yet grown a squiggly tail, snout, and/or cloven hooves, so I think I'm still Swine Flu-free. But in all seriousness, I can't believe the jump in cases around the world in such a short time.

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Hey y'all! Happy Monday, well, for the most part. It's hard to believe that on Friday the Swine Flu was only in Mexico City! Now I can drive 45 minutes and meet up with two people who allegedly have it. Oh dear, dear, dear.

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Maren in Oregon

Here's wishing all of you, Anderson, Erica, 360 Team, and guests, are safe & well, and stay that way! Hello on this rather grim Monday.

April 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |