April 27th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Swine Flu's Reach

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on AC360°,  we'll have the latest on the Swine Flu outbreak.  Check out these numbers....

U.S. Cases .................... CDC Confirmed ...............  CDC Suspected

California                                      7                                                               1

Kansas                                         2                                                               0

New Jersey                                 0                                                                5

New York                                    28                                                              0

Ohio                                               1                                                               0

South Carolina                          0                                                                22

Texas                                             2                                                                 7

Total U.S. Confirmed: 40
Total U.S. Suspected: 35

All CONFIRMED cases or fatalities are sourced WHO or National Health Ministries

All SUSPECTED cases are sourced by National Health Ministries

Non-U.S ......... WHO ..............   Govt. .............   Govt. .................  WHO ......................... Govt.
Cases .............  Confirmed ....Confirmed ..... Suspected .....Confirmed Deaths ...  Suspected Deaths

Canada                   6                                   0

Israel                      0                                   2

Mexico                  26                              172                          7                                                               149

Spain                       1                                 19

U.K.                         2                                17

WHO Confirmed: 35
Govt. Confirmed: 210
Govt. Suspected: 7
WHO Confirmed Deaths: 0
Govt. Suspected Deaths: 149

Total Confirmed  Cases Worldwide:  75

Swine Flu in Pigs:

* Swine flu outbreaks in pigs mostly occur during the late fall and winter months.

* Swine flu is a constantly mutating virus. Pigs are susceptible to viruses from birds, humans and other swine. When these different influenza viruses strike pigs, the genes can mutate and new viruses can develop.

Swine Flu in Humans:

* Swine flu is not common in humans. Occasionally, human infections with swine flu occur in people who have been exposed to pigs (e.g. children near pigs at a fair or workers in the swine industry).

* Symptoms include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Other symptoms include runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

* Drugs that treat swine flu in humans include: amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir.

Timeline:

* 1930 – The classical swine flu virus (an influenza type A H1N1 virus) is first isolated from a pig.

* 1976 – Swine flu (Hsw1N1) breaks out among soldiers at Fort Dix, New Jersey. 13 soldiers are infected and one dies.

* 1976 – The U.S. begins a nationwide vaccination program against a type of swine flu known as Influenza A/New Jersey/76. However, the program is suspended after people die within hours of receiving the vaccination. More than 500 people develop Guillian-Barre syndrome after the vaccination and 32 people die.

* September 1988 – A woman dies of the H1N1 flu virus days after visiting a county fair pig exhibition where there was widespread influenza-like illness among the swine.

* December 2005 – February 2009 – The CDC reports 12 cases of swine flu among humans.

* April 24, 2009 – The CDC issues an outbreak notice warning travelers of an increased health risk of swine flu in Central Mexico and Mexico City.

* April 26, 2009 – The U.S. declares a public health emergency as cases of swine flu in the U.S. increase.

* April 27, 2009 – The World Health Organization raises the influenza pandemic alert to a level 4.

That's the background.  The number of cases keeps changing.  We'll have the latest figures for you on the program and get even more details.   Should you and your family be worried?  What can you do to protect yourself?   We're covering all the angles.

Share your thoughts on the outbreak below.

And, join us at 10pm ET for all the late breaking details.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. David Koester

Anderson-I've been watching since last Friday...something serious is happening Like never before in my life time....Or, the government is finally on top of things like NEVER BEFORE...There is so much more that WE are going hear about...It is SO obvious...
    Anderson...I loved your Mom for years and YOU for years....I have watched you become the PATRIARCH of NEWS of Your Family...Sometimes I bet you feel that you "carry" the torch for your family. ...and I would like to meet you some time..But, that won't be Possible- because, you are constantly reporting from around the WORLD... I ENJOY YOUR WORK!!!!
    Sincerely,
    ........David Koester
    ...Albuquerque, N.M.-–(505) 242-9348.

April 28, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  2. Bob

Initially it was mentioned that Mexican authorities were slow to identify this virus. Then we learn that in North America the US and Canada have one lab each, and Mexico none. Slow response contributed to letting this situation get out of hand. We need a fix that we can depend on even as this catastrophe plays itself out. Not to mention next time.

April 28, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  3. Rachel Scott, MD

Thanks for your great reporting on this.

It is worth noting that emerging diseases, as in this case, develop and spread in areas where there is a high population density, combined with poverty and poor sanitation. The overriding cause of emerging diseases, which seldom is mentioned, is world-wide overpopulation, which must be addressed if we are to successfully prevent the continued spread of new emerging diseases. Overpopulation is also a driving factor regarding global climate change.

April 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  4. Julie from AZ

I understand how the swine flu is causing the body to generate an immune response. My question is, since it is killing people with normal or robust immune systems, is it the body's immune response of fever that is killing people? Thanks! You guys are doing a great job!!!

April 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  5. Tiffany

Is there any relation between the Swine Flu outbreak in 1976 with todays outbreak? In particular, is there any relations or similarities in the vaccine that killed five percent and left 10% terminally ill in '76. I would also like to know your personal opinion on whethre or not that is likely to occur again?

April 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  6. nancy thomas

I have a question...I have tried to write an occasional comment..many months/years ago..tonight I tried to write my first blog EVER for DR.wolf about the swine flu....I always get some response ..like the blog is over...even though it is obviously still going on???Am I being blocked for some reason????I would have no idea why??..but it would be good if you could tell me ..so i will not waste my time in the future?????I had a pertinent question..please advise..thank you.
    nancy,al

April 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  7. Stephanie

If my family and I have not received our flu shots for the seasonal flu. Should we all get one now?

Or just pray that we do not get it and take any and all precautions other than getting a flu vaccine?

April 27, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  8. Alison

I am not clear on the information of a well-tested vaccine for the swine flu. According to your report it seems that this vaccine is currently available but not being used. My 17 year old daughter is scheduled to go to Costa Rica for a month beginning in mid-June. If this flu continues to be a problem, I would not let her go without being given a full-proof vaccination prior to her leaving the US. Does anyone have advice on this matter?

April 27, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  9. Hansen, Adam R.

If you can do theroputic relief. To remove flem build up in the throut, head, and lungs... i dont want my name reveailed, i am just a simple guy asking a ? God bless

April 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  10. Kelly Grier

I am a retired American living in a small village on Lake Chapala about 35 miles south of Guadalajara. The outbreak has hit another village about 6 minles for me. No masks are available....don't know the situation on medications. There are thousands of Americans and anadians living here on the Lake. We are getting pretty nervous. CNN only reports about Mexico City.....therre are outbreaks in other Mexican states and some dead. Our lifeline is CNN...we need more infor about the outbreaks in Mexico locations and what more can we do to be safe. I wash my hands....but since all Mexican schools are closed there are many people and children walking in the streets. I'm not sure if local foods are safe....tortillas are made by hand and so is the bread. It that a source of concern?
    Kelly

April 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  11. Maureen Bladen

Fires aren’t the only thing we have to worry about…article below…South Carolina

Horry on alert for swine flu; S.C. school closes over possible flu cases
    By Mike Cherney
    The Sun News Myrtle Beach SC

Health officials in Horry County said Monday they are on the lookout for potential cases of swine flu, which has killed more than 100 people in Mexico and has been reported in a handful of U.S. states, including New York.

Also Monday, a private school in Newberry closed after some students returned from a trip to Mexico with flu-like symptoms, The Associated Press reported. No confirmed cases of swine flu have been reported in South Carolina, and test results on the students at Newberry Academy may not be available until tomorrow.

Has anyone thought about all the cruise ships that go to the area down in Mexico and the illegal aliens that go back and forth…..geezzzzz this could be like nothing we have never seen in our life time!!!

April 27, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  12. Maria Mar.

I work in a Natural Health store in Arizona where ppl are already stocking up in immune boosting herbs/canned goods and grocery...is this something AZ should prepare for??? How safe is my working environment if ppl start coming in with symptoms((or living with family with symptoms?))???

April 27, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  13. Beth C

Hi! I was wondering since I have thyrord problems would the swine flu be more of a theat to me? I live in a small Rail Road Town hear in Va Called Clifton Forge. And I do try to not be around a lot of people becouse of that. Thank you for your time. From, Beth

April 27, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  14. carolina

My daughter and I just moved back to Florida from Cancun, Mexico 2 months ago . I havent been sick but my 7 year old daughter has been , this was about four weeks ago but it was her toncils. should we be concern after being in Mexico for aprox 5 months that we could be carying this virus? . Is this something that can stay dormant and then appear?

April 27, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Amanda

A group of 10 of us are going on a cruise with Carnvial on Sat, May 2. We have contacted them on several occasions and they tell us that there will be no changes in port. This decision is due to the fact that no cases have been reported in Cozumel, and Progresso Yucatan. Cancun is not that far away!!! Also there policy on their web pages explains the importance of the guest health care. A change in desitinations would allow them to maintain a full ship and lose no money. At this point they are not refunding money if guest cancel!

Amanda

April 27, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  16. Phyllis

I live in Naples about one month ago I became really sick with flu like symptoms. I was even hospitalized for low potassium levels. My symptoms were vomitting for a week, diarhea, cough, aches, pains all over and extreme fatigue. I also lost lots of weight. I am just beginning to feel better. Could this have been the swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  17. Sherrill Quarterman

hello! and my brother inlaw died a few days ago and 2 family members flu in from california on early sat morning for the furneral
    and my hephew was playing with my grandson all day off and on and now my grandson has a fever of 103.1 and we took him to the emergency room and they said they could not do anything, to give him motrin and now my 2 granddaughters has the same fever. My 2 relatives had a lay over in texas friday night but my nephew keeps snizzing, constantly blowing his nose is this a sign of the swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  18. julia d samson

Perhaps your commentators and your experts should start with the basics.1. wash hands 2. keep sick persons home and by the way how to wear a mask. It must cover both mouth and nose and fit tightly to to top of the nose.

April 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  19. Ruben Cruz

Hi AC Team,

I am watching the excellent breaking news coverage that you are doing on swine flu, until a byline is shown that read '"6 confirmed deaths in Canada and India". I believe that this information is not correct as the World Health Organization's current statistics show that there are "6 confirmed cases" – not deaths- in Canada.

Please correct me if I am wrong, otherwise, a clarification on this matter should be aired in fairness to Canada.

Ruben Cruz
    Scarborough, Ontario

April 27, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  20. Edward Juarez

If they got the flu by pigs why not give the people with the flu a pig shot?

April 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  21. SueB

On average 200,000 people are hospitalized and 36,000 die each year in the US from flu and its complications. So far from this strain one person has been hospitalized and no one has died. Think the media needs to chill out for awhile, provide factual info on the nature and history of the flu to the masses, and stop spreading unwarranted hysteria.

April 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  22. Melissa

My husband, my 3 year old and myself are traveling to Cancun, Mexico on Friday. Is it safe? Because it is not Mexico City is it still that large of a threat? Is there a chance we could get stuck in Mexico and not allowed to leave if the concern rises? We will be traveling with tamiflu to be safe.

April 27, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  23. Deb

Question: Is there any correlation between the severity of the flu cases or deaths to any particular gene pool? For example increased severity for indigenious peoples vs. citizens of european decent? Is this similar to how measles made Europeans sick, but it decimated Native American tribes, and Hawaiians, or Is H1N1 an equal opportunity virus?

April 27, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  24. rick saccucc

Good evening I was talking with my father in law in Mexico this evening I am in Canada, I asked if all is well he said they were all fine, then he told me it was 90 degrees down there thats when I looked at the map and saw that the further north you go less cases or milder cases are reported.
    Is it possible this flu needs the high heat to incubate?
    That might explain the higher mortality rate in Mexico, I didn't know who to talk to about this then I heard Anderson speak of this site on his show please pass this question on to the doctor.

April 27, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  25. James Burnett

I was paralyzed from the waste down by the vaccine of the first Swine Flu outbreak in 1976. It trigered a disease called Gillian Barret Syndrome. So beware that the cure can be more deadly than the virus itself... I can go into more detail if needed.

April 27, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  26. Jim Reedy

I have a follow up question about the 1976 swine flu shot when was it to have been stopped ? I received my shot around Sep or Oct of that year.

April 27, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  27. Philip Brown

If teenagers with great immune systems are at risk because of their body immfamitory response...would NSAI ( Alieve, Advil) work as anti-inflamitiories to reduce their risk while sick?

April 27, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  28. charlynn orr

When I was 19 in 1975 I chose to get vaccinated for the swine flu and now wonder if I would be immune to this form of swine flu. I also wonder if I did bodily harm getting vaccinated then as I have multiple muscle issues. Please detail any side effects. Thank you.

April 27, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  29. Alex L

Hi,

I am Mexican in a business trip in the US, I get to in the states in April 19th. Is there any potential possibility that I have the swine flu? Is there a risk to infect my friends here in US?

April 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  30. Christine

Does the CDC have an estimated guess as to the length of the Swine Flus incubation period?

April 27, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  31. D. G.

Could be that this is passed by people sharing pot joints as it is hitting the younger crowd...

April 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  32. Luis

So what is going to be happening? How bad is the Spreading going to get? WIll this virus keep on spreading..What do we need to do to keep our to take extreme procautions..

April 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  33. Christy D

Hi, Do you know anything about Smithfield factory farms(subname"Granjas Carrol") in Perote, Mexico being the cause of the SWINE FLU ??? something about the outbreak had been caused by contamination from pig breeding farms located in the area????

April 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  34. Jim Reedy

What about the military that received the swine flu shot back in 1976?

April 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  35. Jonathan

With the swine flu currently on watch, I wanted to know if the current vaccination for the flu not only prevents it but also treats it if contracted. If someone were to contract the flu, is it easily treated and cured?

April 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  36. Laura Buckley Bork

My friends and I were vaccinated in Miami, FL in the late 70's, at Tropical Park in Westchester, along with thousands of others, against the "Swine Flu"...Are we still protected???

April 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  37. c patrick

CNN's reporter Sanjay Gupta showed careless disregard for public safety, unethical behavior as a medical doctor as well as
    possibly a criminal act by his disregard for legal authority in Mexico City. In his report tonight, he admits that he
    misrepresented himself at a Mexico City hospital by using his credentials as a medical doctor to gain
    access as a reporter for a news story. The quest for a news story does not give reporters the right to put the
    public at risk, an excuse for unethical behavior, nor acceptable breaking of laws. Anderson should swiftly block this idiot (with an MD) from his show and push for his suspension from CNN.

April 27, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  38. Linda

I live outside of Dallas, Tx. I have 3 autoimmune diseases (sjogren's, hashimotos, and RA) I am on autoimmune suppressor medications (methotrexate, prednisone, and plaqunil).
    Am I at a higher risk of contracting this flu? What precautions should I take?

April 27, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  39. lee

How long after exposure does it take for a person to start having symtoms.

April 27, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  40. laval ruthnum

your report of 6 deaths from swine flu in Canada is inccurate and there has been 6 reported cases. Anderson you need responsible reporting

April 27, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  41. joseph

Although Tamaflu is effective in treating the symptoms and potentially decreasing the spread of the virus, the limitation of this and agents like it is not being adequately emphasized. Two pills will not make the symptoms go away in an hour or two and the symptomatic improvements are much more subtle e.g. resolution of symptoms 1day or so sooner than not taking the medication at all. This occurs when patients are interviewed and comment about rapid disease response after taking Tamaflu is not followed by commentary placing these comment into the appropriate prospective. Although the prepared comments are appropriate as are the comments from your medical experts, the fear is that the unreal expectations of the antiviral medications may inadvertently decrease the preventive strategies such as hand washing and avoidance of public setting were the virus has been identified in multiple individuals. This mis-impression of the impact of treatment may also delay response to early symptoms and therefore decrease the overall effectiveness of the antiviral agents.

April 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  42. Michael Alexander - Los Angeles

Don't sneeze/cough into your hands. It's best to sneeze/cough into your sleeve rather than your hands. While your hands spread the germs to everything touched, your sleeve will not.

April 27, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  43. Robert Wilson

Are the travel vehicles being warned to stay away from Mexico? Those such as airlines, cruiseships. Are they responsible to stay clear of those places since there is an official warning? My son is on a cruise ship this week, and was not aware of the situation when he left on the cruise. You see he just got married and did not watch any news reports prior to leaving. We his parents did not know about it until we watched the news Sunday. But he had left already before we could discuss it with him. Does Carnival cruises have the responsibility to keep those passengers away from Mexico?

April 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  44. Herb Hearon

Can you get Swine virus from eating Pork?

April 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  45. jennifer

Hi all thank you for taking the time to read but i got one question? Why don't we shut the border to mexico down untill we can try to get grip on this swine flu?

April 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  46. peterl

what about foof from Mexico. The US imporion thousand of tons of produce. Has any one thought asbout this. This is mostly picked by hand. Do we stop eating vegetables?

April 27, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  47. Brian D

All this media coverage for something that's resulted in very few people being sick or dieing. This is going to result in ER's across the US being even more bogged down with people that don't need to be there simply cause the media blows things out of proportion creating a panic. Not enough is known to be concerned just do like you should be doing already which is washing your hands. Frankly Mexico isn't known for great healthcare, sanitary conditions and even less reliable when it comes to data so it should really be no shock that things are different in the US then in Mexico. Thank god flu season has already ended.

April 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  48. Patrick E, Jones

Anderson, I am a TV journalist in Belize. Just came back from the border with Mexico. Government of Belize has issued a travel advisory for its citizens. Basically advising against non-essential travels to Mexico. I have some still pictures from this side of the border, how can i share them with you?

April 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  49. Pamela Butler

What is the incubation period? From the time you are around someone,how long does it take to become sick?

April 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  50. Jane

Could this swine flu outbreak possibly be the terrorist threat that we have been expecting?

April 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |