April 27th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Swine Flu's Reach

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on AC360°,  we'll have the latest on the Swine Flu outbreak.  Check out these numbers....

U.S. Cases .................... CDC Confirmed ...............  CDC Suspected

California                                      7                                                               1

Kansas                                         2                                                               0

New Jersey                                 0                                                                5

New York                                    28                                                              0

Ohio                                               1                                                               0

South Carolina                          0                                                                22

Texas                                             2                                                                 7

Total U.S. Confirmed: 40
Total U.S. Suspected: 35

All CONFIRMED cases or fatalities are sourced WHO or National Health Ministries

All SUSPECTED cases are sourced by National Health Ministries

Non-U.S ......... WHO ..............   Govt. .............   Govt. .................  WHO ......................... Govt.
Cases .............  Confirmed ....Confirmed ..... Suspected .....Confirmed Deaths ...  Suspected Deaths

Canada                   6                                   0

Israel                      0                                   2

Mexico                  26                              172                          7                                                               149

Spain                       1                                 19

U.K.                         2                                17

WHO Confirmed: 35
Govt. Confirmed: 210
Govt. Suspected: 7
WHO Confirmed Deaths: 0
Govt. Suspected Deaths: 149

Total Confirmed  Cases Worldwide:  75

Swine Flu in Pigs:

* Swine flu outbreaks in pigs mostly occur during the late fall and winter months.

* Swine flu is a constantly mutating virus. Pigs are susceptible to viruses from birds, humans and other swine. When these different influenza viruses strike pigs, the genes can mutate and new viruses can develop.

Swine Flu in Humans:

* Swine flu is not common in humans. Occasionally, human infections with swine flu occur in people who have been exposed to pigs (e.g. children near pigs at a fair or workers in the swine industry).

* Symptoms include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Other symptoms include runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

* Drugs that treat swine flu in humans include: amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir.

Timeline:

* 1930 – The classical swine flu virus (an influenza type A H1N1 virus) is first isolated from a pig.

* 1976 – Swine flu (Hsw1N1) breaks out among soldiers at Fort Dix, New Jersey. 13 soldiers are infected and one dies.

* 1976 – The U.S. begins a nationwide vaccination program against a type of swine flu known as Influenza A/New Jersey/76. However, the program is suspended after people die within hours of receiving the vaccination. More than 500 people develop Guillian-Barre syndrome after the vaccination and 32 people die.

* September 1988 – A woman dies of the H1N1 flu virus days after visiting a county fair pig exhibition where there was widespread influenza-like illness among the swine.

* December 2005 – February 2009 – The CDC reports 12 cases of swine flu among humans.

* April 24, 2009 – The CDC issues an outbreak notice warning travelers of an increased health risk of swine flu in Central Mexico and Mexico City.

* April 26, 2009 – The U.S. declares a public health emergency as cases of swine flu in the U.S. increase.

* April 27, 2009 – The World Health Organization raises the influenza pandemic alert to a level 4.

That's the background.  The number of cases keeps changing.  We'll have the latest figures for you on the program and get even more details.   Should you and your family be worried?  What can you do to protect yourself?   We're covering all the angles.

Share your thoughts on the outbreak below.

And, join us at 10pm ET for all the late breaking details.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Shelly

Hi...just wondering if our elementary schools here in southern California should be screening students who recently returned from Mexico to prevent any chance of exposure to other students. What do you think? Little is being said in our schools and we are very concerned.

April 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  2. taunya

You reported that the Border Patrol was monitoring for people crossing the border that "appeared" sick. but what about the incubation period for swine flu, when people don't show symptoms but are still infectious. How big of a risk are we at spreading this from people that do not or are not "showing" symptoms?

April 27, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  3. Maria Mar.

My husband got diagnosed with the "flu" about a month ago...now with the swine flu cases its seems what he had was the Swine flu and not the common one. Weakness/110 fever...Is it possible he may had gotten this last month???

April 27, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  4. Lucas Schmersey

My name is Lucas im writeing from Reno Nevada and i was wondering. if the Swine Virus could be a form of Germ War????? Couls you discause this matter on the show. cause its kinda weird and sound like it could be a form of germ war fair

April 27, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  5. Beverly HaynesLove; Leslie,MI

my daughter and her family had the flu 2 weeks ago after visiting a water park in Ohio (Calahari), I think it was called. They were there the 11th and 2th of March. They were all very sick by the weekend and were sick for a week!! 4yrs, 8yrs, 30yrs and35yrs. It must have been that swine flu. Does bleach water kill the virus?

April 27, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  6. Rick

I've talked to my Doctor and she said to keep doing the precautions I always do & gave me a perscription for Tamaflu just un case, we have a home in Mexico and really do not go around town a lot (grocery store) we enjoy our home there and are content just to stay there. but we still aren't sure if we should go. We leave at 6am, if we do go, do think with with taking all the precautions and having the tamaflu, do you think we should go to PV

April 27, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  7. Rick

I've talked to my Doctor and she said to keep doing the precautions I always do & gave me a perscription for Tamaflu just un case, we have a home in Puerto Vallarta and really do not go around town a lot (grocery store) we enjoy our home there and are content just to stay there. but we still aren't sure if we should go. We leave at 6am, if we do go, do think with with taking all the precautions and having the tamaflu, do you think we should go

April 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  8. Beverly HaynesLove; Leslie,MI

working in a state prison, when the flu hits, we get out the bleach water, and tell the prisoners to keep washing their hands and covering their coughs. But the biggest challenge is keeping out family visitors who aren't feeling well. They don't realize how fast the flu will pass into the general prison population. So hopefully family members will take heed and stay away when ill.

April 27, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  9. Julie

What about the food and animals that are handled by people who may be affected by the swine virus and then coming into US?

April 27, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  10. Korinne

I am in Cabo Mexico and CNN is our window to the world on
    the latest news on the swine flu outbreak. We are watching
    Anderson tonight and wondering if we will be able to fly
    out of Cabo on Wednesday morning. We both have
    jobs to go back to on Thursday and concerned that we might
    not be able to get out. We appreciate CNN bringing us all
    the latest news. Thanks. Korinne

April 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  11. Glyn

Is it possible to catch the virus from the air or does one have to touch a contaminated surface and then touch one's own mouth or nose?

April 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  12. Maria Mar.

My husband got diagnosed with the "flu" about a month ago...now with the swine flu cases its seem what he had was the Swine flu and not the common one. Weakness/110 fever...Is it possible he may had gotten this last month???

April 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  13. Terry Pennebaker

My husband and I are going to Cabo
    san Lucas tomorrow. Should we cancel? There are no known cases of Swine Flu as yet. We are coming from SF Cal and will fly to LA then to Cabo

April 27, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  14. Eli P. Karatassos

My wife is vacationing in Puerto Vallarta with friends. I can only communicate by email. Should she plan to leave early (before May2)? Will she have any restrictions on her travel?

April 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  15. Diane

My son has a flight booked to El Paso Texas on Friday – coming to visit me in Chihuahua, Mx. Do you think it necessary to cancel? Schools now closed here till May 6

April 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  16. noah

hey Anderson.....please explore the story that Baxter sent live flu viruses to various locations around the world sometime back in late March....please bring to the mainstream that the 1976 swine flu blip started at a US base onthe east coast......please report on the G-B disorder many people suffered that halted the nationwide immunization plan for that time....please discuss the billions the drug companies will make from a vaccine......there's just so much..thank you

April 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  17. Rick

We are suppose to go Puerto Vallarta in the morning, Should we go

April 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  18. viveca maria

Well, how is it that 40 to 50 cases of a flue viruse in the US causes so much more of an out rage than milions of children being without health insurance every day? The reason why so many people in Mexico has died from this flue is probably because they have less to begin with. Immune system, health care, nutrition, has some one looked into the social issue of this?
    Please, Mr Cooper, who are the people in Mexico who's suffering from this flue? Are they like you or me? Viveca M Biel, Maryland , USA

April 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  19. Kate Brigman

Why are we seeing a flu outbreak now in warm weather? I thought flu outbreaks happened in winter.

April 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  20. Karly

would fruits and vegetables from mexico be contaminated at all?

April 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Steve L.

What if you are already vacationing in Mexico. Do we need to pack up and leave early back to the states?

April 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Hal

I can't be concerned about a sudo-pandemic flu when the gov mockingly sent a faux airforce one and fighter jets into the skies of NY City.What is this new g'ment trying to prove...ignorance. That sure would be a "cHANGe"

April 27, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Michelle

Anderson, evidently, the swine flu epidemic has hit Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico. I live in Laredo, Texas, just across the border from Nuevo Laredo. The Tamaulipas state governor has ordered all schools closed until further notice. Furthermore, Tamaulipan and Nuevo Laredo authorities report that the Mexican border town has two cases of swine flu, with one hospitalization.

This is another blow to our border area. We have been much aligned due to inaccurate reports about drug violence. Laredo has borne the brunt of it. Call it guilt by association. But, even Nuevo Laredo's crime rate has dropped some, in comparison to border cities like Ciudad Juarez.

As far as Laredo, Texas, is concerned, our local Catholic schools have taken a proactive measure. About 20-30 percent of the student population comes from Nuevo Laredo (admittedly, the more affluent families).

April 27, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Rhonda

How long does the virus live on surfaces like door knobs?

April 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. jan

I own a pharmacy and many customers are panicing, what would you say would be the critera for a patient with flu like symptoms to go to a doctor. By the way pharmacies cannot get tamiflu..

jan

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. dory

hi AC,
    is there a possibility that the swine virus could be air-born?

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. michael armstrong sr.

the cdc poll cant be trusted the doctors and hospitals arnt testing all the sick people dont just take my word for it watch ericas interview with the cdc on no bias no bull 4-27-09 with roland martin the truth is a cover up.

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. MOHSEN

What are the symptoms??

April 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Dolores Lois

Some people don't like to go to the doctor or to a hospital. Will over-the-counter medications help alleviate the symptoms of the Swine flu or do they do more harm than good? Will taking over-the-counter medications mask the symptoms of the flu and allow it to progress to a dangerous stage?

Doctors' offices and hospitals will be flooded with patients but wouldn't that be the best course of action. How early on in the illness should someone seek medical attention?

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Beverly Carothers

I am concerned about whether using an antibacterial hand sanaitizer when I am away from home will be good enough (referring to the swine flu). I had heard about 6 months ago that these products really don't work very well.

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Jerry Cutler

The media is using pandemic too loosely. According to Farr's Law, epidemics increase exponentially then drop off quickly. The numbers hardly justify a pandemic and all that the media is doing is scaring the average American.
    Are there any longitudinal studies to verify the effectiveness of aroposed vaccine? If there are none, then the government is experimenting on humans forbidden by the Geneva Conference circa 1947/8 aided and abetted by the medical profession. If there is a rush, then all that he government is doing is helping the pharmaceuticals to clear their shelves and to hell with humans.

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Stefan

I am living in Miami. My partner is currently visiting NY on business and in a lot of public tight places. We both have a compromised imune system. Should he or we both get vacination and were can we get it.

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  33. dave boshea

should I reschedule my business trip from chicago to houston tommorrow ? thx

April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Ken

What about travel within the us common wealth of Puerto Rico.....Are we able to travel freely or is it recommended not to go to and from the Island......from the states?

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Fred

I'm heading down to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks. Are there vacines readily available, and do the masks I see people wearing provide any level of prevention?

Thanks!

April 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Chad

I have plane tickets for myself and my 4-year-old daughter to fly to Cancun, then we're driving to Puerto Aventuras–at the end of May where I'm photographing a wedding. The known cases of Swine Flu are currently in Mexico City and not the Yucitan Peninsula. Should we cancel the trip, should I go without my daughter, or should we not worry?

Thanks,
    Chad

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Kyle S

I've been watching the news for the past few days listening to to the Swine coverage. Working at a hospital, I was hoping that no one would come in with possible "Swine". Today, sure enough someone came in whom vacationed in Mexico last week complaining of flu-like symptoms and I almost ran out!

April 27, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. steven

as a nurse this is very disturbing our health care system is very fragile hospitals will not be able to handle patients on a large scale. there is a bed shortage in the united states. a pandemic will bring the health care system to a grinding halt then what?

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Yvette

I believe my family had this flu 3 weeks ago. They were very sick, the sickness lasted approximitley a week. The sickness started with a head ack and then a fever of 103, dizzeness and very weak. My 1yr old grandaughter was taken to the hospital, because her feaver had sent her into convulsions. My 18yr old daughter and my 27yr old son was very ill. I dont know why I did not catch it. My son and daughter rode it out. We did not go to the doctor, believing it was just a virius.

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  40. len

come on, its only been 40 cases, out of 300millions people, no one has die, in the U.S.A. yes people have gotting sick.., let move on to the next 100 days..

April 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Dr. Peder Shea, San Diego, CA

Cultural features of kissing the cheek and touching a friend common in Mexico may contribute to rapid spread especially in socially active youth. We, on the other hand, are a relatively remote, singular, society with hopefully less likelihood of spread.

April 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Victoria

I had the flu a week and a half ago and stayed home, three days ago went to the doctor due to I could not shake feeling horrible and my cough and congestion seamed to be getting worse. The doctor agreed that I probably did have the flu due to my symptoms hes given me the zpak for bronchitis with no real improvement. I am to return in three days if not feeling better. Ive had bronchitis many times and this does not feel like bronchitis.

Victoria
    Central Texas

April 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Blair

If the Swine Flu and the Seasonal Flu have similar symptoms, then there might be many more cases than we currently, or ever will know about... kinda freaky. Though, why are we worried about 40 cases with no deaths in the US when the (supposedly) same strain caused a hundred deaths in Mexico? Is it possible that there are two viruses at work here?

April 27, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Sophia

If this is a new strain of swine flu then why would doctors believe that Tamiflu would work to battle this? Are the drug companies and more importantly stock holders, pushing their drugs, which could consequently end up not being effective?

April 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Naomi Gustafson

Hi AC,

Can u please ask Dr. S.J. Gupta what facial mask is most effective in blocking these viruses?
    And also....what are the differences in masks? Surgical? Plain over the counter drug stores?
    Thanks

April 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Bryan J Arwood

People need limit visitations to hospitals and nursing care facilities. Those who are already compromised do not need anymore bugs.

People need to follow guidelines. If you suspect exposure, stay home. Rest. Drink plenty of fluids. Treat symptoms.

People need to limit being in huge crowds.

People need to wash hands and cover mouths.

April 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  47. Dee F

Thanks for having this info in a concise form..also I have heard the name has changed to the North American flu. Is this true?

April 27, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  48. Annie Kate

My family isn't doing anything yet that is different – the states we live in don't have cases right now and we don't travel very much at all. Its startling how the numbers of sick and deceased have increased though. I would love to know what CDC thinks about this one – is this the big one we've been expecting for years or just another winter flu??

April 27, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  49. Isabel

Good night, Maureen!

That situation, huh? The WHO declared that we are on the level of Pandemic alert phase 4 (scale of 1 to 6).

The current influenza vaccine does not have, on the composition, the strains of the swine flu, but take it is a preventive measure to avoid contamination by strains of influenza is selected this year by WHO.

The Pandemic can occur when a totally new influenza virus against which the human population has no immunity emerges, usually from animals.

People are scared, an infinite number of stories and news reach all the time, always worrying.

And still ... an earthquake in Mexico. Oh, Gosh ... everything happens there!

Take care!
    See you later!

April 27, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  50. Bob Janis

My 14 year old son made a good observation, what if this pandemic alert is only coming through to places experiencing warmer than usual temperatures for this time of year? Places like Mexico,Texas and all the way to New York. Could this unusual increased heat spike play a role in this increased level of swine flu cases. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Bob Janis