April 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/23/09

Tonight, we continue our series "Secrets to a Long Fife."  So far,  in our reports from a Greek island, we've told you how sex, naps, and natural foods can help you live longer. Tonight, another secret revealed.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on our living longer during the commercials.  Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EVEE

I just finished watching the segment of bullying. I was bullied and jumped from the age of 9 until 12 when I was in elementary school and nothing was ever done. I remember the fear I felt every time I had to go to school. There were times that I wanted to commit suicide just to escape that horrible reality in my life at that age. I'm 44 years old today, but I still live with the reprocussions of those feelings that on occasion still cause me pain.

April 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Love the "living longer" episodes. Did they ever discuss their olive oil and how important it is the the people of Greece?

April 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Martha

This has been going on for too many years. My son was bullied in 1997 4th grade. School response: we will look into it. Teacher response: this is part of growing up. County's response: We have a policy you mean it's not working???? We should not only look at the bullied and their bullies, but we should look into what type of culture is being fostered in schools. Just having a policy doesn't mean that adults really see and agree there is a problem to be addressed. How many children have to die, or be so damaged that their future is jeopardized before we hold ourselved accountable?

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Terry Hackett

Anderson I cry openly for those poor kids who were bullid into suicide....I have worked in the NSW ( Australia) DEpt Education and Training for 37 years.. asystem which has now anti bullying procedures on paper... but this system is approaching the problem with a glaring fault.. and maybe there are systems in the US which have a similar fault.. Youcannot deal with bullying if you dont rteally know waht bullying is and if you do it yourself to your peers. In a system which rewards people with promontions then some get their promotions by destroying the reputations of others or just wwear them down ..this is bullying and if you use it on your peers, and really dont see it as bullying, then how do you see it in students... bullying at the staff level, if not dealt with and understood will allow bullyiong at the student level.. it can be a whole school problem, not a studdent problem

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Miss J

Where my daughter goes to school a sinister thing is happening where kids are now betting on what they can get the younger or more unpopular kids to do sexually with others !! its like a gang. i dont know if they even know how to address this issue in the school !

I would take that straight to the police if it appears the school does not know how to protect the kids. Then I'd send a copy of what is going on to the local media – newspapers, newstations, anyone who will listen.

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  6. troy

I will tell you what parents should do they should go strait to the the school and have there kid pinpoint the bully and and have a meeting at the school with the bullies parents. Thats what my parents did with me when I was bullied AND IT WORKED.

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  7. rachel

I think that bullying on any level is wrong it also is not taken seriously enough by parents or school officials. I think some schools feel that kids will be kids and that's what kids do, they tease each other.

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Terry

I don't know how Georgia can ever effectivley deal with bullying when they still allow Corporal Punishment with paddles here. In my mind that makes the school the bully.

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Julia

My son is 21 now. He was severely bullied at age 11 too. I feel so lucky he did not kill himself as I know he became extremely distressed and desperate. I took action when he refused to go to school one day, but for weeks prior I had forced him to go to school. We had just moved from the UK to the US, his accent was different. He was called gay because that is the word used by 11 year old boys when they want to inflict hurt.
    Schools need to be aware of the risk factors – I am not a teacher but if I was and a kid was in my class from a different culture with an accent, I would be alert as they are at extremely high risk of being targeted. Are teachers trained to understand the factors that put kids at high risk of being bullied?

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Zoee - Canada

@Chrissy – Oh my gosh! That is just terrible! I don't understand where these children are getting these ideas or notions that this sort of thing is okay!

April 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Antoinette - NY

Anderson my heart is breaking over the suicides of these 2 boys! Every adult in a child's life must come to the aid of a child who reports they are being bullied. Whether it be about sexual orientation, race, religion, weight or what have you, it is unacceptable!! Parents & teachers must emphasize how cruel this is and how it will not be tolerated. Our children are precious and must be protected by us.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Kyle, Kalamazoo, MI

Michigan isn't exactly known for a great economy right now, and with this epidemic of youth suicides and drop-outs because of bullying I don't see much hope economically. If youth cannot even get the most basic education, business will be less likely to form or relocate to the area. I encourage everyone to support anti-bullying legislation to help correct this plague to society.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Don, WA

Jay Leno's 59? Well, that's okay – you can still be funny at 60 – and if he starts filming from that greek island he'll be funny till 100 and beyond. Hope it's nothing serious at the hospital.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Dodie from Irvine, CA

The only way to stop bullying is by stopping Adult violence! Its a learned behavior

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jay Leno,
    Get well soon! We love you!! take care yourself, speedy recovery!

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Whitney

Regarding the bullying issue: why are the children who are doing the bullying getting psychological therapy? Obviously, they're getting pleasure out of tormenting another human being and watching them suffer – that's sadism! Schools need to implement mental evaluation for the bully and the parents should be extremely concerned. These are the kids that grow up to be Dick Cheney.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. ashli herron

i was bullied everyday in high school because of my preference saw what was going on . and the security guards was there and saw much of it going on but never did anything about it. and even when i did tell an school officals they didn't do anything about. so personally i think that bullying of any kind wont stop until parents and the community say no because these students must be getting the wrong message from somewhere.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

Today, I read exactly that. If the punishment in these cases of torture aren’t exemplary punishment, the USA will lose all the credibility.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Rebekah

@Erica – that’s exactly what I asked myself.

I think this is mostly because school administrators have to get a grip on their schools and be willing to admit what they’re doing wrong – BEFORE it’s too late.

Sadly, I think that this will go over like racial bullying, it will take a long time for the majority of it to blow over. Not until the majority of Americans accept people of different sexual orientations will this at least decrease. Until then, I think we’ll have more stories like this, but I hope against hope that I’m wrong.

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Cristy Kirssin

I love this health series...the reporter keeps saying "artery scrubbing" I wish he would define that term, I have never heard it before in a health/preventative disease context..

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Anthony Adoghe

hi Anderson. 11 yr olds hanging themselves? American parents sure has a problem on their hands now and sure attacking it wrongly again; kids should be told they have no business hanging themselves just cos they were bullied. kids are bullied all around the world and dont kill themselves. The word "gay" is too hot for adults already..... kids quit joking with it!!

April 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Maureen T, Canada

I hope Jay Leno is okay. Weren't you supposed to be a guest on the Tonight Show tomorrow night Anderson?

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Dee Pisciella, Virginia

It's outrageous that people who pay on time for their credit card bills get hit with exorbitant interest rates from companies that are publicly supported. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them!

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think it is Charles Barkley.

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

There was a local woman here who was attacked by a man who posted a car for sale on craigslist after she answered it. She showed up at the location where they were going to meet so she could look at the car and he showed up without the car. Luckily he was arrested

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'd like to see 360 do a segment on the abuses by credit card issuers. It is a rampant problem targeting small business and consumers at a time when we're handing out billions to the same issuers to save their operations.

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Kate

My son who graduated 3 years ago from high school was taken 4 times unconscious by life squad because of bullies. He now suffers from post concussion syndrome which has left damage to his brain. The 4th attack was when he was a freshman in high school and it was caught on video tape. I told them I wanted to press charges. The students, the teachers, the principle all aid my son has done nothing to provoke these attacks.

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Caroline, Los Angeles

I have to go all. Thanks for bringing yet another heartbreaking story of kids killing themselves over bullying to light AC 360. Keep them coming. Maybe then it will be part of the national discussion.

I think modern life is so stressful at so many schools that each and every school in the U.S. should have a Parent Liason on staff. He/she is a social worker who can take the time to thouroughly allegations of bullying and go visit the families at home to help them.

Admnistrators are administrators. They may or may not have any background at all in child development or psychology. That's why they brush this stuff off. They simply don't get it. Clueless in some cases.

April 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Mojdeh

The best way is students themselves. I was a popular kid through my whole school time. But everybody knew me not for me being one the best student, but because I fought for bullied kids. I always went against bully ones and defended kids who didn't have the confident to speak for themselves. And it did work. bully students stopped to be mean and ugly towards others. It's necessary that adults and staff be involved but It has to be some of the good and respected students who has the talent and guts to stand up and speak out.

30. Tiffany

Funny- I just went to my sons school because a bully my sons had problems with all year has started to get physical and the school turned the tables instantly sticking up for the bully saying "kids will be kids"

31. james

Anderson-appreciate the topic my son was bullied as a child ina catholic school nothing was done by the school but the authorities helped us. Please help make some changes in the system. These predators even though they are children should be punished even as juveniles. They must take this as a crime against humanity. Keep this topic in focus!

32. Shannon

As an educator, I can say that addressing bullying is vital to ensuring a SAFE and nurturing environment. This should be top priority at the beginning of year and revisited frequently throughout the year.

33. Jeff - IN

Wonder if Markoff's fiance is finally realizing the authorities aren't making this stuff up?

34. AJ

Anderson,

Thanks for covering the school bullying disaster. It's imperative that each school assign responsibility of investigating "bullying" complaints from students or parents to the principal or asst. principal. They need to investigate these complaints thoroughly by letting parents of the bully'ers that they are going to conduct such an investigation and keep it open to parents on both sides (although parents shouldn't be allowed to participate – only listen). if they want to restrict parents because of touchy issues, they must produce a report and provide a copy to both parents. If they find proof that serious bullying took place, the bully'ers should be suspended for a week and if it recurrs they should be removed from the school.

35. gail

@ Denise
    Torture can never be allowed because it is against the law. Period.

36. Victoria

Why do the guys like Markoff consider harming themselves "after" they get caught.

37. Nina

My 8 year old Daughter was bullied by a girl in her class and her 12 year old brother and the school did NOTHING! I spoke to the Teachers and the Principal who were more concerned with testing than my Daughters safety. I removed her from that school. I'm sad to say that if I a parent got nowhere with the school staff I can see how a child would kill themselves or snap and bring a weapon to school.

38. Suzi

This Craigslist Killer story keeps getting crazier and scarier.

39. Albert from OH

That form of bullying is called SEXUAL HARASSMENT! It is not tolerated in the workplace and should not be tolerated in schools.

40. EL from Alexandia, VA

I can't believe such an educated young man with a bright future would ruin his own life like that.

41. Faith Pumphrey

Helllo, I am so glad that someone has finally brought to light just how bad this bullying has become. My son is 11 years old and in 6th grade. He has been bullied now for about three years and all that seems to happen is as was said " a slap on the wrist or you better not do that again". It has went so far that a boy held my son up against a fence with his hands behind his back. What are we to do as caring and loving parents if our school system turns a blind eye to this. I am so scared for my child. This needs to be stopped and I hope that your show scares enough people to wake them up and open their eyes to what is going on.

April 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Carole

Anderson, you talk about the kids in schools signing papers that they understand bullying, and will not do it, and schools having a no tolerance policy,however, remember it's just a piece of paper, and officials just talking – what does that really mean? NOTHING. Teachers and school officials have to become serious watchers of the children when the teacher is NOT suppose to be around, then they will HEAR what is going on, if they care in the first place.

Carole

April 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Anne. Bullys are often victims and have learned this behavior.

April 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I love honey! Especially with peanut butter....I guess my life will be long! 😛

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. STEVE in Oregon

here's an idea, if your child is a bully, kick the kid out of school....
    take the cell phone, cable tv away......until the attitude changes.....

but again that might be politically incorrect....
    heaven forbid children might face consequences.....

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Pete

i think that pressing charges against bullies just makes it worse. they still have to see each other in school. its horrible what goes on these days. kids have less time with family and more time with video games and cell phones and internet. so most parents dont even parent anymore.

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Bill Moeller

It is obvious that kids learning in their homes and hearing their pastor's and Sunday School teachers preaching gay people are an abomination will feel justified in tormenting kids who are gay or appear gay. They probably feel that their mentors approve this behavior and that they are doing a good thing. Your surprised about this? I'm not.

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. gail

Bullying is not new ... I learned only in the past 5 years that 40 years ago my brother was bullied – picked on, called names, raped in the rest room of our small school by a bunch of jocks exercising their "power" over a shy, quiet kid who just wanted some friends. He told teachers, counselor – everyone but his parents because he didn't want them to worry. He has suffered from anxiety, low self – esteem, and distrust of those in authority his entire life. He is, however, one of the most giving and generous men I know.

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Richard Green

Anderson –
    Bullying is an insidious cancer. Parents and teachers must be sensitive t and understand that ignoring the issue, hoping it will diminish or go away, may have tragic results. Schools must be responsible and set a tone that bullying in any form will not be tolerated.
    Rich Green
    Dean of Students, Retired

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Lori

Sexual orientation bullying will continue as long as the children hear our "leaders" debate the subject; rather than educate that we should accept people as people, regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |