April 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/23/09

Tonight, we continue our series "Secrets to a Long Fife."  So far,  in our reports from a Greek island, we've told you how sex, naps, and natural foods can help you live longer. Tonight, another secret revealed.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on our living longer during the commercials.  Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I don't think it so much of the bullying. I think it was more so of being accursed of something they were not which they did not know how to handle. We have to teach our children how to handle all situations.

April 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Bruce

The bullies that exist in schools around the country grow up and continue the same behavior in the workplace. Until congress passes bills such as the healthy workplace act, bullying will continue in schools and at work. One of my co-workers killed himself due to workplace bullying. It is a silent epidemic that needs to be addressed immediately.

3. Jan

re: tonight's story about the suicides of two 11-year-old boys/sexual bullying: Discrimination based on sexual orientation is illegal in only a VERY few states – Illinois? New York? Why are we surprised when children reflect the attitude of their culture?

4. Eva Roubert

I just watched the segment of children being bullied in school. First of all, my heart goes out to both of the families mourning the loss of their sons. I am a new mother to a baby boy, and I can't imagine the immense heartache that they're feeling right now. I'm sorry for that.
    I'm a firm believer in "Wounded people wound people; Hurting people hurt people," so I think as parents we need to address the insecurity/hurt that is going on in our children. Always stay in communication with your children, find out what is going on. The bully is someone's child too! Probably a child that is being ignored, neglected or abused at home. What we can do is stay open to our children and encourage healthy communication. If your child is the one being bullied, then he should feel comfortable enough to tell you. The situation can be addressed and, if not handled, the child can be removed from the situation. If your child is the one bullying, then the communication needs to be encouraged moreso so that other underlying issues can be addressed. Even encourage your "bystander" children to communicate. You could help another family.

5. Don, WA

Bullying is brutal and unfair but as old as the begining of school. I wish you could just convince a sensitive kid that is getting bullied more than the norm (because kids bully...they just do), that they'll get through it in the end and to just stick it out and believe in yourself. This bullying is'nt evil...it's very adolescently human. It comes up in adulthood too. Need to teach kids too believe in themselves. Because you won't stop bullying itself. And I agree AC, I hope we don't hear of a story like this again.

6. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Children who bully are often victims of someone else. They have learned this behavior and acting out their anger on another child

7. David from greenville tx

The teachers and administrators are there 1. the child must report the event with full information 2. the parents of the perpetrator must be brought into the scene 3. these actions of bullying take place in areas where there are no adults around i.e. the restroom; should the school assign someone to stand in the restroom all day? the resources do not exist

8. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Cristy...Adults can be cruel, let alone kids.

9. Maureen T, Canada

I love Michelle Obama. She is one classy lady and her first press conference appeared to be a success!

10. Lauren--NY

I remember being in sixth grade and a friend of mine was being bullied to the point where she was hiding under a table crying, and when I went to a teacher I trusted, crying myself, and pointed to where she was huddled, I was told to calm down and stop being a drama queen. Apparently people don't wake up until the kids hurt themselves in some way.

11. Irina

Just wanted to share with you a truly great book that I read which tells the story of a boy who has been bullied for most of his life. It is written by Jodi Picoult called "19 Minutes." He did take his own life at the end, just like the boy that is making headlines today. The reason why it is so remarkable is because it is written from several voices of the main characters and you get a true picture of what it means to be bullied, the boy's family and friends.

12. gail

@ Tammy
    I agree. It should be a wrongful death charge or something like that and if the parents have complained to the school and officials do nothing they should be held accountable too.

13. Chrissy

Where my daughter goes to school a sinister thing is happening where kids are now betting on what they can get the younger or more unpopular kids to do sexually with others !! its like a gang. i dont know if they even know how to address this issue in the school ! 🙁

14. Michael

Maybe if we stopped electing officials who bully gay people, children in school would realize that it is unacceptable.

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Suzi

I love Michelle Obama. She's a great First Lady and an inspiration to all!

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  16. David, Indiana

@Erica, I think because we've been caught up in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, and subsequently the economy.

When it comes to bullying, I think the important thing is to nip it in the bud. That protects chidren the best. Teachers, adults, and other kids need to show dissapproval, but you also need to explain to children, somehow make it clear to them how the bullying, the taunting make someone else feel.

@Erica, I can't get the link to the webcast.

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Jane

Not a blogger – just a viewer. I am heartbroken that another little boy has taken his life because of sexual bullying. I'd like to hear from the other side. A public apology; remorse. This side of reporting is sadly lacking. Thank for your show; your respectful and fair minded reporting is appreciated.

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Monica M. Williams

What would happen if Bo the White House Dog ran away? Children asking improvable hypotheticals. How charming.

That’s the way it should be. Youthful innocence at its finest. : )

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Sarah

What happens when bullying goes beyond student to student? Administration at my son's school was bullying him in addition to other students. My son has Autism. Children with disabilities are bullied by students and staff. Use of restraint and seclusion in schools cause too many deaths each year.

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Dorothy

This country better get a grip and deal with the bulling problem. We are losing our future. These very children could have been people who made a difference.

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Jen R

That author on the bullying book was great and had really valuable insights. I'd love to hear her talk more. I hope you do indeed have her on again.

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im glad we have such an active first lady. its good to see that our first family is active with the citizens

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Honey has antioxidants and is much better for you than "other" sweetners, especially if it is dark honey, which is hard to find (and expensive).

April 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Jeff - IN

@Kathy, exactly! Everyone needs to pay attention to the kids.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Gene

When does the law come into the situation at the schools?

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Teresa

Where do the kiddies learn to bully? Who ever told the kids to stop bullying? Who ever "disciplined" the kids for bullying?

They keep up the bullying because: no one made them stop.

Kids will be as cruel as we let them. Sometimes compassion has to be taught.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. mark in colorado

Our children simply reflect the culture in which they live. Your previous story was of torture the US used in our war on terror. For the past 8 years, the culture in America was"Bring em' on", and "dead or alive".

Signing a bullying pledge or a zero tolerance policy in schools is so much window dressing. With children, you can't say, "do what I say, not what I do". Unfortunately, our children are reflecting the culture they see around them. Until that changes, no bullying pledges are just a piece of paper.

Modeling is the strongest form of learning. We need to model better cultural values for our children for this, and other societal problems, to change.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The questions that kids ask are always so fun...I really enjoyed the story of the First Lady's first press conference 🙂

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. gail

I believe that this bullying of these children to the point that death is a result is just so wrong and the schools, parents , and even the other children that see it should stand up to stop it.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Miss J

The parents just need to take things to an extreme. If the school does not listen, they need to either get a lawyer, take the entire family and start a protest in front of the school (to get attention and maybe media coverage), and/or a parent should go to the school each day with the child until the school maintains the child will be safe.

My dad used to come in to school and sit next to my brother when he was little. Not because he was bullied but because he wasn't behaving.

It just has to be taken to that level. It's sad but obviously you can't trust the school to take you seriously or do the right thing unless you are constantly in their face.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Terrence

I can totally relate to these little kids being bullied. I'm from a country in the caribbean and my other friend and I have been taunted by other employees. My friend who has a step her accent than I do gets taunted even more. We shrug it off but they do seem to get pleasure from putting us through hell. It's not right and more needs to be done about it. Keep
    People informed.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Larry

Why isn't bullying considered torture?

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Lori from IL

I love our First Lady interacting with children - thanks for this lighter note - tonight's news has been very depressing.

April 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Ruby Coria, LA., CA.

It's tough being bully, & when you're gay you get bully all the time, even now, no equal rights & it's worst when you're a kid.

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Eddie

I realize that the schools can't watch the children every minute of the day.My daughter was in elementry school in Stuttgart Arkansas she was getting bullied she came home crying so I wrote a note to the teacher.She moved the child to himself because this was not the only complaint she had.When the State mandate testing started (benchmark) the teacher put him back right next to my daughter she was scared so she did not score high enough on her test and they want to retain her so I put her in private school she is doing alot better I am glad I did not wait any longer

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Adian,MD

It is good to see you talk about this story anderson! we must all talk about it more.

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Eric from Omaha

VANESSA IN TX: Go to school administrators, others, whoever you can to get a voice that says "I hear you" to your child!!! Don't Quit until you get the attention of someone. Not acceptable. AT ALL. Got to the superintendant if you need to!!!

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Jacqueline, NY

Bullying is wrong and it should be dealt with. But bullying has been around since the begging of time - I am not excusing that, but the focus cannot just be on the bullying. What about the suicide. Something is terribly amiss at home if a child's spirit is so disquieted to the point of suicide.

Mike said it best some night ago: April 17th, 2009 10:58 pm ET

“Although in this bullying case it maybe was about being or not being gay, bullies pick on anything: too fat, to short, too stupid, etc. This isn’t a ‘gay’ thing. The solution is to stand up for yourself. It’s a lesson in life. No one stands up for you if you don’t stand up for yourself.”
    I can’t believe I am saying this, but you took the words right out of my mouth.
    @ Mike, Syracuse, NY Re: comment

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Laura - Va

We can punish the bullying behavior, but does that alter the behavior of the bully? Schools need to put as much attention to reaching out to the victim as much as or more than the punishment of the bully. My heart goes out to those mothers who have lost their sons.

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow! First lady Michelle Obama answer for kids and kids asked a question things to say, that is best their field trip to white house!

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

I agree that bullying is a serious public health issue! The lives that are lost,The families that suffer and the terrible example they set for others.Also,children who bully often grow up to be adults that bully! Think about it..I'm sure you have all known an adult that is mean spirited and abusive if allowed to be .There is a .good chance they were a bully as a child.

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Anne

I am sooo glad you are calling attention to this most serious problem of bullying in our culture. It is occurring not just with children, but among adults too. We need to get tough with bullies and put them in their place! Speak up! Don't tolerate it! The more people stand up to stop bullies in their tracks, it will cause a ripple effect across our culture.

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Jan

Discrimination based on sexual orientation is illegal only in a VERY few states – Illinois? New York? Why are we shocked when children reflect the attitude of their culture?

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Maria

Broward County child's suicide raises questions about medication

Can you do a follow up on this story.? : Over medication of children

April 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. carla

Waterboarding is simply a crime and not american and for any republican to try and defend it.......i thank them for they will remain out of office......the soldiers not doubt was following a direct order so it is the people whom ordered the crime who should be charged....from the top.......cheney admits it so he should go directly to jail......see how it works....

April 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Shannon,Dallas,Texas

Great point, Lynn. There would be no need to rewrite the laws if the techniques were in fact legal. There would be no need for the President to attach a signing statement.

When President Bush signed the bill outlawing the torture of detainees, he quietly reserved the right to bypass the law under his powers as commander in chief.

April 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Terry

Thank you Anderson Cooper for the great segment on Bullying. I hope you do more on this subject. It is a national epidemic. Not only do kids call other kids 'gay', but they use the R word too.. 'Retard' . Parents, teach your kids this is wrong and hurtful

April 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. TinaTinaTina

Until you address the root cause of the bullying by children in school all the programs in the world are not going to work. "Diversity in the workplace" programs didn't work either. It made the guys with women coming into the workplace resentful.

so...what the children are hearing at home is what they are modeling at school. You have to educate the parents.

April 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Tammy

I would like to see more parents press charges against the bully

April 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Jeff - IN

Very good point about the parents following through and getting involved and showing accountability.

April 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |