April 22nd, 2009

Tonight: Text 360°

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/08/art.text360.jpg]

Tonight we'll be looking into Miss California's response to Perez Hilton's question about same-sex marriage.

On Sunday night during the Miss USA pageant, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, answered a question regarding same-sex marriage. Since then there's been a lot of conversation about her answer. Roland Martin is applauding Miss California for being honest.

Do you have questions for Roland about the issue ? Text them and Roland will answer them on the program tonight.

Text AC and your name, location and question to 94553!

Filed under: T1 • Text 360
  1. Tracy Carman

Miss California U.S.A. was and is the victim of Satanic trickery.

April 23, 2009 at 2:48 am |
  2. njay

AC + CNN Rock The Truth....Rock With Reality! Thanks for not going on the old spin cycle....of round and round...scratchy broken record of negative noise from old out dated....white pundits needing to rebuild their stock portfolio's! Insane! THANK YOU CNN for keeping everyone on your team Honest....Non-Biased Reporting! Keep It Up....A station that gives us hope, honesy, and clarity 24-7....

Land of Enchantment

April 23, 2009 at 1:51 am |
  3. Robert V. Garcia

Ask Don why he has a gay for judge. Is Miss USA for?

April 23, 2009 at 1:45 am |
  4. Pamela

In refrence to miss california being honest,would you say it's better to be honest about a sensitive topic\question or give it a crowd pleaser answer.[i agree that she was kind of messy in her answer choosing words without thinking but what would have been your answer on the spot, under pressure]

April 23, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  5. Donn

I would like to know, if you know ,how the winner of the miss America contest feels about the question that was asked of Miss California. What is her position on marriage?

April 23, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  6. Miss J

Please give this toll free hotline number to Tonya. I'm sure they can help her get connected to local agencies that could help her. She can also try United Way in her city.

USA National Crisis Hotline
    Toll-Free / 24 hours / 7 days a week
    1-800-784-2433

April 23, 2009 at 12:09 am |
  7. frank laza

Perez Hilton – you are buffoon. Your demonstrated lack of tolerance that anyone who does not share your views should be thrown into the fire pit tells the world EXACTLY why Prop 8 passed. You are an embarrassment to your cause. After watching your antics, I wish I could take my "NO" vote back.

April 23, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  8. Jerry

I am one of the 18000 married same sex couples waiting for the California Supreme Court Decision regarding my marriage in San Diego. Miss California has every right to express her feelings on the issue...especially when asked. Thank God for free speech...that's what the USA is all about. We also have be aware of the consequences of our speaking out no matter which side we choose.

April 23, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  9. Miss J

Tonya Jordan – I am so sorry for what you have been going through. Please hang in there!

Can you see a doctor? If you have insurance or maybe through a clinic? Losing your son and your girls losing their brother – I can't imagine. But you all need to be in therapy!

I really feel for you!

Maybe a volunteer at CNN can help you find a place in your town? I would do it but I don't know where you are from. Good luck!

April 23, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  10. Lari Martinez

Miss USA is an "ambassador” of the country. The personal opinion of an ambassador is irrelevant. Miss California's could have responded by explaining how our country functions in terms of deciding such sensitive social questions. Such an answer would have responded to the question in that she would have shown she understand how our government works, avoided a split in public opinion, demonstrated her knowledge of her country's social issues, and won her support from both sides. No one needs to know what is her own personal opinion. Mr. Hilton, on the other hand, lost the battle once he used profanity. It was a great question and she missed the opportunity to hit the ball out of the park and take the crown. The manner in which she responded to the question did not show maturity, diplomacy, finesse, good judgment, sensitivity, poise, or intelligence.

April 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  11. Janelle Ehrhardt

My question is, what on earth was she thinking? By adding the ps... "I hope I don't offend anyone" was pathetic! She should have been more careful not to say she represented her country, because she doesn't represent many people's views...
    She lost and it's over. I wish the news would stop covering her and move on to the winner.

April 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  12. Ethan

It is wrong for people to not except that it is alright for people to be gay. It does not matter to you at all of is someone is gay or straight to you because they are not forcing you to be gay. Your are also getting in the way of people's overall joy. As it says in the declaration of independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

April 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  13. tim , virginia

folks, does anyone care what GOD says about the subject of same sex marriage/union, because i do not hear much from anyone concernd about what God says. suggested reading would be ROM.1;16-32 and Rev. 21;8

April 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  14. Damaris Henderson

When a gay and another gay can procriate and further the species as a couple, then they would have the right to enter into matrimony which is the foundation of family.

April 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  15. Coral Bergman

It matters not whether or not I agreed with Miss California - The vitriol with which her answer was met was not acceptable! This is not the only time that NBC has had commentators who have expressed their opinions by calling names, by cursing the person who was only exercising his/her right of free speech - and the commentator also has the right of free speech - but I have the right not to listen to people whose speech, regardless of their political opinion, is offensive!! Therefore, I am conducting a one household boycott of NBC - If I cannot be sure that, regardless of the opinion, I will hear a reasoned, acceptably phrased answer, I will not expose myself to crudity, rudeness, or offensive commentary on the television!!

April 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Sharad

Miss USA spoke NOTHING wrong but what she believed in. She also expressed that she means 'NO OFFENCE' to any one who might disagree with her. Thus, I don't see any thing wrong in her answer and she did deserve the crown. On the other hand, the judge who tried to impose his ideas should be removed from the panel immediately.

April 22, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  17. Isabel

The techniques of interrogation of the Bush Era may have helped to gather important information about terrorists, even though these practices being prohibited in the UN Convention.

Until that point, it is valid to defend a nation? And human rights?

April 22, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  18. Isabel

With the new direction that President Obama can bring to question, what happened with the former officials of the Bush administration? Nothing? Anything? What?

April 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  19. cheryl kennedy

Has a proposed indictment of 6 members of Bush's team for war crimes by a Spainish procecutor influenced America to go beyond the release of classified memos to possible indictments?

April 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  20. Annie Kate

Paul Begala pointed out last night that some of the techniques we used in questioning suspected terrorists were techniques we labeled as war crimes in World War 2 and asked if the techniques were war crimes then why are we using them now. I think his point is very valid – war crimes are war crimes no matter the justification or the country using them. The US at one point was considered the champion of human rights – how can we claim we still are that if we are practicing what we defined as torture? We should be ashamed and yes the people who justified this and ordered it (Bush and Cheney and Rumsfield) should be held accountable for it.

April 22, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  21. Linda Gier

I don't care what the results were of torture the Bush administration used. . . the whole idea is that we were not supposed to use torture in the first place!

April 22, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  22. Deborah, Missouri

I cannot text, Anderson. Am I the last one alive?

My question is this: How reliable can information be when it is coerced through fear of death? Anyone would say anything to stay alive. It's called primal instinct.

April 22, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  23. Mary Lanane

What is the final objective of this process?

Who will be held guilty of following a direct order, and what would the impact be on future orders during wartime?

Will this disolve into an indictment of someone "pinching instead of poking" as Washington tries to decide levels of torture meant in the documents released?

Move forward..........the only direction to go.

April 22, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  24. Michelle Johnson, Lomita, CA

Fascinating debate–it stirs up a lot of emotion. Will you mention the ethics / morality of military putting some of the U.S. soldiers through interrogation techniques so they can withstand them if ever imprisoned by enemy forces? Prosecution of CIA officials has been questioned because of this.

April 22, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  25. Carmen Ines

Torture is not new! Every intelligent person in the world knows that some types of information will not be achieved without the employment of torture.
    What changed in the past few years that now this issue is on the news all the time? More press coverage? More disclosure?
    The Capitol hearings? The scrutiny that the CIA has been through?

April 22, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  26. Elaine

What are the facts about how much accurate information we gathered from torturing? What high valued military secrets did John McCain devulge when he was tortured? Without the facts how can we know if it's really useful? (since the morality of it seems to not be at issue for some)

April 22, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  27. Chris

How many of these interrogations did not reveal vital information and what of these people ???????

April 22, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  28. Rose Parvin

We mus learn from our past mistakes not to repeat them again! It is not just the individuals but the Universal Anti Humane patterns and programs that we must be concerned about & analyze to learn about and prevent. The more we pour knowledge to the masses and teach our organizations the Patterns and programs of being human then we will not be alone in our compasson to end up having to adopt their ways to be secure in our country providing security for our unation.
    That is why Universal Laws and regulations will change the World Order to what we all will agree upon not having to loose prosperity because we have to change drastically or choosing to be inhuman! That is why a new Universal Culture must be taught to our nation and the world through the Mass Sel & Societal Knowledge for change! People and leaders must have insentive and become motivated to change and for that they must see not only the humaniterian difference but also the fast that in walking in the light they can be more powerful and loved and prosperous! That is the Rose Way!
    if we can be prosperous by helping others live ADDICTION FREE LIVES AND PROSPER AND SUCCEED TO FLY TO THEIR HEIGHT then why would we want to prosper by selling them alcohol and tobacco and drugs that will not only kill them but also kill our own children for someone with poison inside will be dangerous!

April 22, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  29. mary

AC, normally I don't watch CNN but a friend recommended your program and so I gave it a try. Frankly, I found your program and CNN
    in general to be so bias that it soon became boring. I don"t understand Mr. Copper, how as a journalist, you can be so selective on what you report, or not report to the American people. This is really true on what you report about the president. No one is as perfect as you and CNN makes the president. Before I am labled a coward, arrogent, or a racist, I voted for BO great mistake. All this tax payer money he and dems in congress are spending makes my head swim. No one can believe that this is the right way to go to help our
    country. I am beginning to think that he is nothing but a puppet for the dems in Wash. You AC are no Brett Baire back to Fox I go.

April 22, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  30. Jim Klein, Newport Beach

Where can one consciously draw the line in the sand regarding the approval of human torture versus protecting U.S. lives? How many pulled fingernails are too many?

April 22, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  31. Jim Klein, Newport Beach

If the buck stops at the Oval Office, why stop at former legal officials within the Bush Administration when the top gun had to approve all this?

April 22, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  32. xoxo

i donno where is ur father is memo what are u talking about cooper happy earth day i love u anderson i follow u on twitter all day check ur
    tweet like every second good job cooper i love u u so hot lol

April 22, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  33. tonya Jordan

Hi Anderson I hope this finds you in good health.
    I am a 39 year old single mom of two daughters and a deceased son, I am low income due to some hardships. I was a full-time student preparing to graduate but lost my car and my drive to finish school, sometimes I wonder if life is worth all this heartache.
    I tried to be an example to my girls but I'm so tired of struggling and having people lie and say they can help you but they don't.
    I don't know what else to do where else to turn, I haven't been to school in 3 weeks and my girls have been missing school also. I'm depressed and I haven't taken a shower in three days, yes I'm pathetic, and I feel that way. I think I've finally started to hit rock bottom, I just really want to know why do good people have to suffer, why must we hurt so much. I was supposed to graduate this year but my circumstances have led me to go downhill, I don't know how much I can take.
    God I just pray this reaches someone and touches their heart to help my family, we don't need a new car we just need a car. You would be amazed if you knew what I've been through the last 7 yrs, dealing with a child with brain damage and losing him, I haven't been right since. I'm tired of crying, please someone just please help us.

April 22, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  34. Matt Hodan

At what point does the responsibility to determine what is legal and what is illegal in an international war-time context fall on the shoulders of those developing interagation tactics?

April 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  35. Joan Blair

Can you compare these torture techniques compared to Viet Nam?
    Did we utilize torture techniques? Or, was it just our enemy?

April 22, 2009 at 4:58 pm |