April 21st, 2009

Bittersweet news

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/04/20/pulitzer.prizes.winners/art.pulitzer.jon.leachman.gi.jpg caption="Writer Jon Meacham won a Pulitzer Prize in biography for "American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House.""]

Jami Floyd
In Session

The Pulitzer Prize winners have been announced — for fiction and nonfiction, poetry and dramatic writing. But in our world — the world of news — a Pulitzer is the most prestigious award of all.

The New York Times won five, including one for breaking the Eliot Spitzer story. The Detroit Free Press won for uncovering those sexually explicit text messages that brought down that city’s mayor. It was not only reporting on political corruption, however, that won this year. The Las Vegas Sun won for exposing a high death rate among workers on the Las Vegas Strip. The East Valley Tribune of Mesa, Arizona won for its reporting on a local sheriff whose focus on immigration enforcement was compromising investigations of other crimes.

Read more...

Filed under: Jami Floyd • The Buzz
  1. Joe G. (Illinois)

And just like nobody cares about American Sports outside the US.. Nobody cares about the Pulitzer.. But competition must have been tough I’ll bet.. Was it 85% of the media that chose to close their eyes an otherwise favor Obama??? The Puzzler price the now talk about!! Hah..! And.. And.. And.. Nobody wants to buy newspapers anymore.. Let’s bail them out alright!

April 21, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  2. Terry, TX

April 21st, 2009 5:02 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation....why...cc:CEO of CNN
    You know …since they gave one to Al Gore…regarding global warming..uh global cooling….global weather changes…uh melting icepacks….uh no…they’ve frozen back up now….well global warming by fat people…no global warming by cows farts….well…I guess I will just have to check with the environmentalist that sue the EPA and now runs them. Basically I just don’t pay attention to the Pultizer prizes anymore….Sorry…the story is still out on the global stuff.

April 21, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  3. Paul in Houston

WOW! Vegas workers have high death rates... What's this all about? Are these people more stressed-out than the ordinary worker in other states who face real economic perils? It would be interesting to know more.

April 21, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

There is still a great need for local newspapers. There are still people who do not have computer or internet access and the newspaper is the only source for news they have; plus, the local scene is reported in the paper. I haven't seen it online yet. I guess I'm old fashioned but I like having a newspaper I can hold in my hands and read at my pleasure. I will be sorry if all the newspapers go under.

April 21, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  5. Rose Parvin

All those who are following me and my pioneering knowledge of Pattern cChange Programaing;Creating Your Own Destiny;an evolutionary revolutionary Psycho-Spirituality of Being have been given Nobel Peace Prizes & Pullitzer Prizes & that tells me that the world is finnaly waking up to the Rose Way of being human having compassion & Spirit-Mind-Body Power Balance even though it is not evolved yet to acknowledge and give credit to myself for having a powerful lpromoter who wants to globalize the Rose Way in his name or keep the control for the same old while giving presentation of change!

April 21, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  6. Jim M

Tongue-in cheek:

Do you mean that Ann Coulter has not won a poulet suprise?

April 21, 2009 at 5:11 pm |