April 17th, 2009

Rehab: An addict's lifeline

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta looks at rehab and one woman's road to recovery.

Filed under: Dr. Sanjay Gupta • Health Care
  1. nancie

In the USA, the rich, (and the insured) go to rehab, the poor go to AA/NA or to jail.

April 18, 2009 at 12:32 am |
  2. Annie Kate

She's lucky to have a second chance at life and to have gone through the rehab successfully. I hope there are no relapses in her life and that she continues to have a good life.

April 17, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  3. Carolyn

Interesting article. I think it's important for those close to addicts to know and understand that you can be there for them without enabling. My ex-husband was a drug addict...it took about 13 years for him to hit rock bottom. He lost everything in the first 2 years...his children, me, his parents, his siblings. During those years I had to maintain some contact due to the children, but it was from a great distance...he finally reached his rock bottom, I knew this because he called me, his ex wife of 10 years, who was newly remarried (6 months) and asked for help. My new husband and I let him stay with us with us for about 6 months, he got a good job, he reconnected with his children who are now teenagers. He didn't do rehab...and understand that the statistics for falling back into it are great. But he has been clean for 2 years now, and he is thriving. He has even worked himself into management. I, as the exwife, who was left to raise 3 small children on her own, with often times not getting child support...have nothing but pride for him. My point is this, you can't help until the addict reaches rock bottom...but no matter how long it takes you can let them know you are there. In the end, he survived and my children thrived...all is right in my little world. I do hate the word addict...addiction is a disease....the person and the disease are two seperate entities...I had to tell myself that in order to be able to handle all the pain his addiction caused...and to help my children come to terms with the disease thier father had. Thier father wasn't unloving, the drugs were...the addiction was....it's a monster.

April 17, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  4. SANDRA

THE LUCKY ONE, This story is wonderful to hear, she is one of the lucky ones,but how do you deal with an addict WITHOUT any finances? Detox centre is only 5days long, How do you even consider rehab? Sure they detox, but then what? And what is 5days to an addict? IT'S FRUSTRATING! I wish that every person struggling with an addict who isn't in our situation realize how very lucky they are.I hope and pray for them all. THANK YOU SANDRA

April 17, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  5. dina212

Recovery is about replacing all the bad brain matter with the good brain matter. Those that try to rationalize with people who basically changed their brain chemistry bc they do drugs or drink alcohol are only making them more susceptible to more addiction. They need professional help, no jail time or tough love they need to restore their brain patterns.

April 17, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  6. Isabel Siaba

The abuse of alcohol and alcoholism are among the main problems of our society. Alcohol is a drug such as heroin, cocaine and crack. Why? Why vicia, alter the mental state of the person who uses, causing it to senseless acts, often violent. Worse, it causes more problems in families and society. Unfortunately, in our culture makes part of its use.

April 17, 2009 at 3:43 pm |