April 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/16/09

Gov. Sarah Plain is back in the spotlight tonight. She's giving her first speech this year in the lower 48. That has people talking about whether she'll run for the White House in 2012. Do you think she should? Share your thoughts below.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Sarah Palin and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lauren--NY

I cannot believe that poor woman not only is the same age and has the same name as the one on trial–she even spells it exactly the same way. She must be going through hell right now, poor thing.

April 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think cnnbrk was like the 3rd page I started following...so I am already part of your numbers! 🙂

April 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. sean

Right on, Debra Tenney. As much as we don't want to admit it, there's a need for the authority to use harsh tactics in the face of an emergency. I'd sacrifice one individual's comfort for the potential safety of a nation's citizens anyday. You might call it the "greater good" principle.

April 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Greg, Austin Tx

Since Ashton doesn't have a nationwide nightly news show, I don't see his tweet-count coming out ahead in this particular contest.

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Tom

David Gergen's "answer" about the CIA people following orders was an excuse. I don't know how many prisoners died in US custody but there have been some, particularly at the infamous prison in Iraq. The Nazis had access to million of Jews. The CIA didn't have such widespread access to that many prisoners. And as several have stated, there have been very few charges against most prisoners held in prisons for years without charges...without access to attorneys...but hey, they had access to CIA agents. Doesn't that count? 🙁

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Cristina

Oftentimes their parents are involved with cartels. Like father like son.

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. John, MD

I Wish success to "Ashton"! Don't blame me, I am his fan 😉

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Samantha M.

CNN should up the charity standards. u guys shouldn't let Ashton set the standards.

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Christine

Why are you looking for a reason for this Huckaby person? If she were a man everyone would already be ready to hang him.. Just put her to death and get it over with. Just because she is a Sunday school teacher and a mother does not give her any extra points. See I'm pretty blood thirsty and believe in an eye for an eye.

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Sanabel

What is horrifying about Bush/Cheney torture is that some of those tormented were innocent. Imagine it is you!!

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Maureen T, Canada

Yeah, New York is coming into the 21s century! Possibly the passing of same sex marriage legislature! Cheers!

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Miss J

I'll buy any CD that Susan Boyle releases. I love her voice, her story, and I feel bad that she wasn't discovered earlier by our shallow society/culture. I have a great respect for that woman and I'd love to hear more about her life & story.

April 16, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Henry

After reading DG's last post, I think a really smart decision would be to make some kind of law or precendent about torture, so that it doesn't waver from OK to NOT OK from administration to administration.

Then the decision to prosecute or not prosecute would not be so ambiguous.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Michelle

I say mom probably spent 200 grand.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Mike Syracuse, NY

@David Gergen, thank you. I agree that the comparison of what the CIA did and the Nazi's is totally wrong. I wonder though why by now drugs don't exist that would make anyone spill their guts without any harm. Scopalimine (truth serum) existed in WWII. Surely we have something better by now.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Maureen, Georgia

It makes me so sad to see Sandra skipping along the street an innocent little girl who is now dead, Melissa a sick, sick woman.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Rebekah

"We win." haha Erica

I absolutely love the banter between Anderson and Erica, you guys kill me.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Genevieve M, TX

I'm impressed! Boyle performs just for AC360 and its viewers? Wow! 🙂

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Esma

@ David Gergen–I agree with your argument, but I can't find a reason to condone something like waterboarding, as it IS torture. All of these torture tactics are deplorable and should have never happened, no matter how horrible our prisoners are. By committing atrocities, we are fueling the fire and proving the points that the terrorists are trying to make about the US. Not a good idea all around.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Jacqueline, NY

Rafael Bronx,NY "Whats twitter . I mean i keep hearing that all over CNN about Ashton but i mean i don’t know whats that. All i hear it about reaching 1 million."

LOL! So funny. Now I don't feel so bad. Though I know now, but no thanks for me.

April 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

The fact that this woman was teaching Sunday School really creeps me out. With her prior history - why was she allowed to continue to teach children with her prior history? I know you don't need to be certified to teach Sunday School -

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Tweeting! Oh the joys of not doing homework.....

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  23. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I've been following @CNNBRK long before this war started.

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Steve - southern Illinois

It's sad that people think they are better than the people who they are making death threats against.

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Sabrina

Wow, Hulk has really gone off the deep end.

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Cindy

Ashton Kutcher has passed Cnnbrk already and is pulling off leaving them!

Cindy..Ga.

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hulk Hogan has said possibly the stupidest thing in the world.

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Cherry B - Ms

This is wonderful about the schools observing the childs death.

@Erica, Ashton has passed CNN already.

April 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Nattada, Houston TX

Sad..sad..story. It seems like there are more weird cases these days. She also has a daughter. How can a mother do horrible things to a girl, and that girl is her daughter's best friend?

Should another Malisa Huckaby change her name?

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Beth - London, England

It amazes me how Susan Boyle appears to be more popular in the US than here in the UK!

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Yassin Mohamed

Goodness knows why, What motivated the Sunday school teacher to kill the little girl? i’m up so late over here! Interested to hear that please. by the way i love your show AC.

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

how can you compare to OJ?

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Anthonia-California

I agree with Pat, Melissa Huckabee is a complete nut!
    how are you suppose to be a sunday school teacher and still rape and kill an innocent child..? doesnt add up

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Randy

whats it say about a church who lets someone teach sunday school! who has a background. Dont care what the crime is!!! my wife teaches and the background check was pretty strict!!

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Robin in Tampa, FL

@Mike Syracuse, NY – We have two journalist who were picked up by the North Koreans, and they are currently being charged with espionage against the state ... by your reasoning they should be allowed to water board or harm our citizens in order to keep their country safe from their enemies. That is what we did under Bush ... it's immoral and should never be justified.

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Rafael Bronx,NY

This don't seem to puzzle she is a mother and a Sunday school teacher. Why will she do that?

April 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Caroline, Los Angeles

Wow, good for the Afghan president. Let's see if his revision of that new law will stick.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  38. Isabel Siaba

The next is NY ... it's great

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Sabrina

Gergen- I understand the administration was scared, but don't you think they still should of upheld the rule of law?

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The voice of reason once again Mr. Gergen...I fully agree that we shouldn't be comparing our CIA Agents to Nazi's...and I don't think that they should be punished at this point.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Cherry B - Ms

Don't we all usually look the other way when family members of friends do something out of whack? Maybe this should teach us to pay better attention and not take so much for granted.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Walter

We now know that American personnel were told that activity that was plainly torture was OK. The President has said we will not hold these personnel responsible for their actions. Has he forgot the Nuremberg Trials? If I remember correctly, "The boss said to do it." was not an acceptable defense.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is sad, but that woman knew what she was doing.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Pat

Some have apparently forgotten that 3,000 innocent Americans died on 9/11 and we, as a country, had no idea what else was planned and ready for implementation. Torture or whatever it took to find out and prevent another 9/11 was OK by me. Put it in context. We have no idea how many plots might have been uncovered and stopped by interrogating these captives. Grow up. It is a big bad world where terrorists chop off heads of their enemies on Arab TV but being "civilized" , we must treat them with respect. You can't win this game of survival by playing by the rules.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Lauren--NY

I don't think that lady really has the same definition of "snap" that most people do...when I think a person snaps, I assume things have *not* been fine and dandy, and it keeps building until the person...snaps.

April 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  46. Atlanta

Great discussion on Huckaby. I think this woman knew exactly what she was doing. So apalling.

April 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  47. CJ

When you are at war, and you do question your orders and are told that if you do not follow your orders, you will be court-martialed, what do you do? ... You follow your orders.

When you are in a war zone, getting shot at constantly, having prisoners try to kill you, and constantly threaten to kill Americans ... you follow orders.

When your superiors write you letters stating how your service is saving the lives of your fellow soldiers, keep up the excellent work. ... you follow orders

When you care so deeply about our country and keeping the Americans safe, and all American soldiers safe from the enemy... you follow orders.

April 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Jalloh Umaru

Senator Macain would not mention his former running mate Palin for 2012. He still has the feeling that she caused him the Presidency.Macain will rather see another fresh faces to run for the white house, instead of Sara Palin..

April 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

@ the Gergenator, tis alright for the history mistake, actually that point is a common misconception....those darn members of the Whig party!

April 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Maureen T, Canada

That Melissa Huckaby is a very sick individual! My heart goes out to Sandra Cantu's family.

April 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm |