April 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/16/09

Gov. Sarah Plain is back in the spotlight tonight. She's giving her first speech this year in the lower 48. That has people talking about whether she'll run for the White House in 2012. Do you think she should? Share your thoughts below.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Sarah Palin and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike Syracuse, NY

Jeffrey Toobin, if a US city were going to be nuked by terrorists killing millions, and we could stop it by these techniques, would your idea of morality accept millions of deaths?

April 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Jonathan Wilson

Why do you suppose the government is unwilling to close our border with Mexico? Thats my question.

April 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Cherry B - Ms

Maybe Palin is ok, but I just don't want her as our president.

4. Rob in Tampa

I would support palin any day !!

5. renee

I'm so sick of Sarah Palin, when is her 15 min going to be up?

6. John

As far as whether we should punish those who have tortured prisoners because they were tole it was OK by their superiors, we should remember the MyLai massacre in Vietnam, where a whole town of women and children were murdered because they were told it OK. They got punished. What's the difference????

7. Connie in Vegas

I am saddened and disappointed that Barack Obama is giving cover to those who tortured. Clearly a deal has been made with the CIA. hard to believe that THIS is change we can believe in. Perhaps President Obama is going after bigger fish. I hope so. Those who gave the okay and then denied that we tortured committed crimes. They should stand trial.

8. Gilbert Cavello

DG should Bush not be prosecuted? Is he above the law? He works for us, right?

9. Rafael Bronx,NY

Sarah Palin back into the National Politics eye. I am guessing she trying to gain support for 2012.

10. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I'm glad that McCain decided to not mention Palin. I think he is finally understanding his mistake. Honestly, i believe he had a very good chance at winning the presidency before Palin was on the ticket.

11. Doug

I go back to my earlier post – In waterboarding no one dies. Cut a head off, guess what, your dead. Now you trell me what is torture???

12. Rebekah

i can't see any point in torturing. when you torture someone your treating them as something less than human and no human, no matter what they've done, deserves to be treated that way. especially playing off of the one man's fear of insects. under that kind of stress anyone would confess to anything.
    and another thing i don't understand is how, in the memos released today, they could call the "interrogation strategies" anything BUT torture.

13. Wendy

Susan Boyle......she brought chills when I first heard her sing.
    What a beautiful person.....looking forward to the clip coming up!

14. Fay - California

It's difficult to listen to Palin, but it can only help the Democrats if she DOES run, so I'm all for it!

15. laura

What did everyone think was happening to the detainees? I am not at all happy about it, but I am not surprised.

16. Wayne

Thanks for Jeff Toobin!

I'm afraid David Gergen is becoming the Bush apologist.
    The evidence just keeps pouring in that Bush lied,
    knew he was lying, and kept lying.

Check the Red Cross' reports, as well.

And don't forget the illegal surveillance.

17. Obaje@Kissimmee

Any way to prevent a terrorist attack must be used if another 9/11 was to Happen we would all ask why was torture not used!

18. Joanne

Those who ordered the torture must be procecuted for these crimes. We can't afford to be known by these crimes, and we will be.

19. Johnny, KY

I've got to disagree with Gergen today. Banking policies are NOTHING like torture. Jeffrey hit it on the head– torture will ALWAYS harm us on the international stage and at home. More than what any terrorist could do to us, I hate that we'd do the same.

And, Palin? Still? Yawn.

20. Arun Konanur

I understand the necessity of allowing public servants to follow their directives of their superiors without worrying that they'll be second guessed by the future administrations, but isn't "I was just following orders.." the sort of justification offered up by previous generations of War Criminals? Is the greater good really served by absolving CIA interrogators of all responsibility? How about the higher ups? Is their no accountability?

21. Cristina

As a teacher along Tex/Mex border, and in a high school campus ranked third most dangerous school in the state of Texas, I am deeply concerned with the cartels' influence upon my students.

22. carolyn cee yah

wow sarah can draw a old group of folks, will they be around in
    2012.

23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

More Sarah Palin? Ahhh, now my night is complete!

RE: Webcast...David Gergen is such a gentlemen! 🙂 And I have to agree with you Erica, that is one of the things that I've always loved about 360, the corespondents have intelligent conversations and I learn something...I'm not constantly trying to figure out what everyone is saying cuz they are talking over each other! 🙂

24. Carol Brown

It is time that the media focus on the concerns of the average American who is deeply concerned with the reckless spending of the Obama administration and the expansion of government.

25. Donna -- Alabama

First, there are military studies that show torture does not work. Remember the CIA folks that said they were getting good results with interrogation, but when they started to torture that suspect they got trash?
    Second, my dad was a fighter pilot in USAF; he raised me to believe in our country and to uphold the values our country stands for. These do not include torture.

26. Vanessa, TX

Erica, I love the awesomeness that is Mr Toobin & Mr Gergen...I was wondering if they think this was a good idea for these top secret memos were revealed..how do we get Mr Gergen & Mr Toobin on twitter? lol

27. Isabel Siaba

@ David, Indiana

Let 's hope to never more have such malpractice and torture! And that international humanitarian law prevails.

28. Lori from IL

Oh, no - Sarah Palin - Team 360, you're only forgiven because you are giving us Susan Boyle later in the show!

29. Bea

Sarah Palin has no integrity. That's what I dislike so much about her. She'll say anything to get elected or to get a camera in her face. She's just a usual politician.

30. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

Evening all–

My heart bleeds for Sandra Cantu and her family, there is nothing harder to bear then a child's death, I can't imagine and pray I never have to live through a nightmare they are in right now.

I was also saddened when I first saw the looks on the audience faces ready to laugh at Susan Boyle because she's not a young blond bombshell that walked on stage. It pains me to think society can still be that cruel based on the outside package of a person. I'm so happy she knocked everyone off their feet. Maybe this will make people think twice about judging a book by it's cover before seeing what's really on the inside.

Have a great night everyone

- missed you last night Anderson.

31. Michelle - St Augustine, FL

GERGEN
    if the goal of the techniques is a psychological impact and not some physical effect how can you "not" cause prolonged mental harm?

April 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Maria

She re-introduce herselfe to the crossroad of America

April 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Michelle

Isn't Sarah Palin having some political troubles
    at home.

April 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Tom

Ask David Gergen how any subordinates could ever be held accountable for any atrocities as long as their superiors said it was OK?

April 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Henry

Why didn't anyone on TV mention that torture is an unreliable method of gathering information?

April 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Sabrina

I heard there were more terrorist created because of our torture policy, and there is proof of that. Look at the studies done over the years. Cheney’s word does not hold water.

April 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It bothers me that we cannot know if torture actually works or not. If they can prove it does maybe there are cases where it can be used, but if not, then we just lose respect in the rest of the world.

38. Rob in Tampa

PALIN 2012 !!

39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Sarah Palin is part of the problem, not part of the solution. As long as she, and the Republicans, insist on asserting their superiority over targeted minorities, she remains part of the problem.

40. Elvira Collins

All your commentators have failed to mention that torture is immoral. We tried officers at Nuremberg and did not buy their excuse that they were"operating within their legal orders". Why do we have aJutice Department, if not to uphold Justice?

41. Fay - California

Right is right, torture is illegal and immoral, letting it slide because President Obama has a lot on his plate is not a strong enough reason to forego prosecution.

42. Tim

I definitely agree with Gergen, We do not need a witch-hunt but discussion and facts need to be brought forth. In addition, whether we received a mountain of information or not, the United States is above torturing.

43. Bea

For JT, what legal remedies are available to folks who can prove they were tortured and nothing was ever proven against them; some of them were released. If there is none, should the US provide some compensation?

44. Brandi - bottom of the boot

no more palin. please!

45. Vanessa

Who decides what torture is? President Bush allowed what he thought was best in his mind and heart. Obama, proclaims that our country should be ashamed of itself. Isn't that torture to the American people.

46. Sharon

the information about what tactics were used to gain information only gives fuel for torturing our men & women around the world & gives plently of ammunition to our enemies. It should have never been released this soon publicly. Obama should have never come to light until 25 years from now. This was a huge error that Obama made. I am very outraged. Shame on Obama! When will he learn about the consquences of this.

47. melissa

I think the real torture was to the families and the victims of 9/11, their torture will last the rest of their lives. Children were robbed of their parent(s), mothers and fathers lost their children. Tragic.

48. Wayne

Hold them accountable by giving them a medal for your protection. It's easy to say what you would or would not do when you're in your living room. Bush made many mistakes, but He protected us all.

49. gail

@Erica, I would like to ask both DG and JT what was their impressions of the tea bagging parties yesterday. In light of the fact that it was sponsored by conservative groups and so heavily promoted on a rival station. Do these tea parties spell trouble for the President.

April 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Tim

These torture memos, combined with revelations about domestic wiretapping constitute no less than a constitutional crisis. There are really only two choices: 1) allow a precident for our evecutives to break the law, or 2) prosecute violations of the law. In America, noone is above the law. That is the very core of American Democracy and what separates us from the tyranny that our forefathers revolted against.

April 16, 2009 at 10:20 pm |