April 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/16/09

Gov. Sarah Plain is back in the spotlight tonight. She's giving her first speech this year in the lower 48. That has people talking about whether she'll run for the White House in 2012. Do you think she should? Share your thoughts below.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Sarah Palin and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jacqueline, NY

The Three Tenors in the house, Erica?

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Become a fan of Susan Boyle on Facebook! amazing woman, that video is one of my favorites on youtube...... *adoring broadway tunes* *angered that I can't sing as well*

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Cara

I hope she runs for president in 2012. It'll give Democrats the upper hand.

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Vanessa, TX

I don't think I would vote for Sarah Palin 2012...she seems winy. I kinda think her politics are iffy.

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Rebekah

Good evening Anderson, Erica and everyone else at AC360 tonight!
    Even though I was kind of expecting some kind of proof of torture from during the Bush administration, the memos released today were still like a slap in the face.

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  6. starr formerly known as vincent

The memos were "shocking" to American standards.

Although i'm torn about prosecution – i would support it for the leaders much higher uo than the CIA operatives.

I do understand the President's decision not to go forward with prosecution and will accept it.

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba

@Erica Hill

It's great! excellent trio!

April 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Bea

Hello all. I usually agree with David Gergen, but I remember 911 and I was not obsessed about attacks. No one that I knew and respected was obsessed to the point that they could not know torture when it faced them.

April 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Andrea, TN

I'm one of those really intense Obama supporters, but this decision to not prosecute CIA people who tortured b/c they were 'just following orders' really disappoints me. If I were asked to do something I thought was wrong as part of my job I would not do it. Many others in my field (libraries) got into trouble for refusing to give out patron's personal information as demanded by the "Patriot" Act. You have to object or nothing changes.

April 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Michelle

Who cares about Sarah Palin ?

April 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Mike Syracuse, NY

Good point David Gergen. Right after 9/11 polls showed Americans strongly supported aggressive interogation techniques to prevent another attack. We'll never know how many attacks were prevented.

April 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  12. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All!I can only feel shame when I hear oft he torture tactics used...I know it could have been a LOT worse,but I truly thought that the USA would have been above those practices?? We are not barbarians are we??Shame.

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Esma

Attempting to "become" your enemy by engaging in behavior that normal people find insane (ie torture), you then truly become your enemy. I'm so disappointed.

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Michelle - St Augustine, FL

GERGEN
    By Obama stating today in his press conference "it is not a time for retribution" isnt he setting himself up to be obstructing the persecution of a war crime?

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

@Erica, got the obvious nickname for Gergen: The Gergennator
    Toobin on the other hand, he's known to me as: Jeffery's tubin'!

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  16. gail

President Obama has just annihilated any chance of the Bushies to white wash the legacy of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney. That's what the right wing apologists for the failure that was our 43rd. President are most upset about. Too bad. Glad that he won't prosecute the CIA agents . Valerie Plame was already thrown to the wolves because of the Bush Administration and no other agent should have to pay for their mismanagement or the crimes that Bush perpetrated. Good decision!
    President Obama a breath of fresh air!

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im glad that Obama is stopping the torture procedures. We dont like hearing of other countries torturing people so how could we have allowed it to go on for so long on our part?

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I don't care if only the worst of the worst were exposed to these torture techniques....The US doesn't and never should torture...I'm of the same mind as Jeff Toobin...I am shocked and appalled that these techniques were OK'd and used by the US

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Isabel Siaba

I'm sorry sincerity, but imagine if had torture. How would it be?

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Vanessa, TX

Erica...I love the "powerhouse" trio...what I would give to be @ this dinner table

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Barbara in Boston

These torture memos are horrifying. The taint on our nation will last for a very long time.

The architects of these policies need to be held accountable for the way they perverted our nation's values.

I agree that the CIA operatives not be prosecuted, although that goes against everything we learned at My-Lai. I don't think the CIA could function going forward if we were to prosecute them now.

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  22. carolyn cee yah

im glad we dont torture any longer, if it was me i couldnt take it.

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Jonathan Wilson

Does anyone find it strange thtat the CIA agents wont be tried for torture. Yet are border partrol agents go to prison for shooting a illegal drug dealer at the border

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, im severely claustrophobic, those little boxes are scary.

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, AC360 Team, and all bloggers.

Christiane was doing good sitting for you yesterday, but it is good to have you back, Anderson.

I like it that President Obama takes his time to go to Mexico and shows that he really pays attention to this serious issue. Thanks you for keeping us update on the situation over the border.

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

All of this torture is despicable and hypocritical. George Bush is a liar, personified.

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Fay - California

It is very disappointing that President Obama does not wish to take action and prosecute those individuals who committed torture – it sets a bad example for the country if we don't take a firm stance against that practice.

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Lauren--NY

Good evening, all. Welcome home, Anderson; I hope you had a fun trip yesterday.

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Michelle

It is frightening what those memos contain.

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  30. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. All the big guns in the house tonight - AC, Gergen *and* Toobin on set. Lookout!

April 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

This is a good move on the President's part. (in Mexico)

April 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Vanessa, TX

I don't understand why the CIA operative that tortured ppl will not be prosecuted...its cruel & unusual punishment..not fair

April 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Esma

The devil is truly in the details of those memos. What a disturbing time in modern American history.

April 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I would love to see the kind of torture that America "doesn't" do...

April 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Maren in Oregon

It's always a pleasure to see the President in another country doing what he does to make us proud

April 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Andrea, TN

I didn't know that so few US presidents actually go to Mexico City. That's really crazy. They're our neighbors and it's their capital! It was a great symbolic gesture for our President to go and I like that he's emphasizing the mutual responsibility. This isn't just their problem spilling into our borders; US drug users, money, and guns are at the center of it.

April 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. carolyn cee yah

hi andrson/erica.

president obama is making progress.

April 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Team 360 (that includes you, Jack Gray), and Fellow Bloggers -

Sunny and 70 in greater Chicagoland area today - Spring is finally here!!!

Looks like another busy night - very interested in President Obama's trip to Mexico City -

April 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Isabel Siaba

Drug trafficking is one of the major problems of the contemporary world. Around the world millions of lives are destroyed by the use or as a result.

April 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and my fellow even conversationalists! Hope everyone had a good day...just one more to go before the weekend starts!

I'm glad that President Obama is at least attempting to do something about the drug cartels...

April 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Vanessa, TX

Hiya Anderson, Erica, my smartees....good evening to you all..
    The Mexican troops in the border have really helped..I hope POTUS's speech makes some sort of dent on US drug users..thats a big hope

April 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Esma

Hey everyone: Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, all at AC360, the Tribe, and all the bloggers.
    I'm glad that Obama is in Mexico to help address the problems both the US and Mexico are having with the cartels.

April 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i like the way the POTUS does not back away from responsibility.

April 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Evening Everyone!

April 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

hallo bloggers, facebook peeps, tweeting spazzes, and everyone else!
    And a nice how do you do to Anderson and Erica!
    today has been such a happy day and hopefully you guys have had a good one too!

😀

April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey All. Hey Anderson, Erica, David G., twitter/facebook buddies, and the rest of the best bloggers in the world.

April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba

Good evening, Anderson Cooper!
    Welcome! Great to have you back!

Hello, 360 team!
    Hi, friends and bloggers!

April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Beth - London, England

Evening All!

Goodness knows why i'm up so late over here! Interested to hear what Sarah Palin has to say though – ever so unpopular here in england.

April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Maren in Oregon

Good Evening Anderson!! and Erica and everyone at AC360. Another interesting hour ahead!

April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Im interested in what happened with Obama's trip to Mexico. Hope it was a productive visit.

April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |