April 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/15/09

Tonight, we're waiting for the crew of the Maersk Alabama to return to the U.S. We'll bring you live coverage from Andrews Air Force Base. The crew's captain won't be with them. Capt. Richard Phillips is still aboard the USS Bainbridge and will return to Vermont likely later this week.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the homecoming and tonight's other headlines. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nattada, Houston TX

Last night I check Susan By last night. I watched her again and again. Can't stop smiling with tears in my eyes. She is so great indeed.

I also check out Paul Pott, and that 13 years old boy I can't remember his name. They are awesome.

Good night everyone.
    Have a great one.
    Sweet dreams.

April 15, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

SOS Clinton is right to approach the problem of piracy as a security problem but also as part of the economic and political problems in Somalia. Will she directly guide the activities of her envoy? Will she work closely with President Obama on this?

I'm very happy for the family members of the Maersk Alabama crew.

The Fed says the economic downturn might be letting up? Oh God.
    That rally this afternoon was truly surprising.

Susan Boyle's singing is just beautiful, made me forget what i was writing.

Good night everyone

April 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Maria

Good nite

April 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Sherry, N. Calif.

Hoo Ray for all the Susan Boyles of the world!

April 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Maria

She is a talented

April 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. starr formerly known as vincent

I can't believe how fast tonight's show went.

Thank you Christiane for sitting in. & entire 360 crew for a great show as always.

Good night fellow bloggers, i look forward to every blog with you.

The Susan Boyle story is astonishing and should give every body hope! We can all make our lives meaningful in some way.

April 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Susan Boyle is awesome! I loved her video!

Good night Christiane, It was wonderful to have you filling in for Anderson again tonight, join again soon! Good night Erica and my fellow bloggers as well! Have a good sleep and a great tomorrow! 🙂

April 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Susan Boyle must seize the moment!
    Unfortunately, not all unemployed people have that luck or that talent! 🙂

April 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Goodnight everyone. Peace to all of you and yours.

April 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. John Omari

The parires attack threatens the existance of the international system, the UN and USA need to go back to Somolia and regain back the sovereignty of that state before other extremist worsen the situation.

April 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Mike Syracuse, NY

If you haven't watched to U-tube clip you should. She's phenominal.

April 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Rafael Bronx,NY

Well Good Night Christiane,Erica, and all bloogers.

Cya All Tomorrow for a Thursday Evening

April 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

My niece is in Mexico as we speak.Thankfully at a resort and with protective friends.I hope she stays safe.

April 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Don, WA

Before she even sang there were eyes in the audience and at the judges table that rolled impolitely, while her eyes twinkled in what she knew. It was great to see. And from her first singing breath it all came to be.

April 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Christaine, Erica, David G, (Anderson) and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you Friday night!!!!

Christaine,
    Thanks anchor fill-in for Anderson, you are great reporter! nice job!

April 15, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. starr formerly known as vincent

Oh No! Not Blago again!

April 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Poor Blago... he just could not stay out of the news. That is what happens to narcissistic people. They have to continue to be in the lime light!

Well CNN and fellow bloggers. have a wonderful evening and week.

Good Night!!

Signing off from Sunny Southern California along the coast!

April 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Saera El Paso, TX

is it just me or does it seem like everyone's new definition of "fifteen minutes of fame" is turning into a month or six of fame....

April 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. KarenT

@Craig. Where were you the past 6 years when all of this spending started? To blame the spending on the current administration is truly not fair. Obama inherited a mess and now we're to stop spending? The spending the past 6 years was on two wars. At least now we are investing in our own country for education and health care.

Unless you are earning more than $250,000 per year, your taxes are lower.

The corporations funding these tea parties are the same corporations that lobbied for AIG and Citigroup. Doesn't that tell you something?

April 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Kathy, Chicago

Thanks CA for filling in tonight! Hope all have a great day tomottow! It will be 60 here, yippee!

April 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Jeannie

Good Evening,

I'll be watching the return of the crew from the Maersk Alabama on CNN...glad they are safe!

April 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I can't believe that Blago is trying to be on a reality show.

I've watched that Susan Boyle clip like 10 times and it still makes me smile.

Goodnight All

April 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Sabrina

Too bad the captain is not back on American soil yet, I bet his wife and kids can hardly wait for his return. Glad the others will be making it back tonight. Thanks CNN for covering it.

April 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica...I think Rod Blagojevich's 15 minutes of fame are long since up he needs to join Sarah Palin and Octomom in fading back into the woodwork....

April 15, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Nattada, Houston TX

It is disturbing to hear that gang member talk about Juares is the best or something like that. There will always be a reason to fight. Gangs will never go away. They will just keep fighting, and innocent people will take consequences. So sad.

Thanks Michael Ware for your report.
    Please, as always, stay safe there.

April 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Robin in Tampa, FL

The Tea Parties looked to be more a vent fest than a protest.

April 15, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Jeff - american in south korea

It is sad what has happened to Mexico... I wonder what can actually be done by the US and Mexico together to deal with this.

April 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Vanessa, TX

Great Discussion tonight, smartees, Ms Amanpour, Erica...I hope everyone has a good night... :),

April 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Because the person placed the child in a suitcase and placed the suitcase somewhere that would not be found, shows that she was NOT insane at the time. She was not out of touch with reality. I also understand Montana has stopped the insanity plea and I wish California would do the same....

April 15, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Rose

As a mother of a merchant mariner, I am extremely interested in this story and I want to thank the three expert Naval Seals for their service, who rescued an American citizen, Captain Phillips. I can't wait for the safe return home of my son in mid-June after his 120 days contract with Maersk so I can hear his point of view on this topic. Any other mothers whose sons/daughters are shipping the oceans? How are you handling this news?

April 15, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dodie from Irvine, CA
    Thanks for your answer!!!! I am glad you reply to me.

April 15, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. gadi dekel

erica hill rules!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Lori from IL

Thanks Team 360 for keeping the Mexico Drug Wars in the news - this follow up report is truly amazing. Interesting to hear the young man say he knows that while the cartels pay big money, it will probably be a shortened life span.

Reporters going back without the police? -Stay safe.

April 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Kathy, Chicago

Mexico is pretty scary these days. My neighbor's husband and friends were shaken down by cops a few weeks ago, but their cab driver helped them escape. I am trying to discourage my son from visiting in a few weeks.

April 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. -Nioshii-

The Afghan women are risking their lives to fight for their rights. What courage!

I also am distressed about the Saudi judiciary upholding the "marriage" of an 8-year old girl to a 46 year old man.

It is rewarding to see the outrage in the US about marital rape, given that it was only 1976 when marital rape was still legal in all 50 US states, and 33 US states still consider marital rape to be a lesser crime than other sexual assaults, -N-

April 15, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Mike Syracuse, NY

I wonder how supporters of the Presidents's policies regarding Muslims reconcile that his respect for their culture implies acceptance of these laws we find so horrifying.

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

So beautiful a night view of Mexico!
    So sad to see the country the mercy of trafficking

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Cherry B - Ms

The escalating violence in the world today, pirating, drug cartels, etc, is truly frightening. I know alot of these things have been around for a long time, but the 24/7 media access we now have makes it seem so much closer.

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  39. Ted O

Legalize it and call it a day!

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  40. alex

These young kids off the coast of Somalia are dying of hunger, they see multi-million dollar ships go by full of food and merchandise... desperate situations call for desperate measures... why not fix this at the core of the problem?

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is my favorite documentary "The War Next Door" really cool! that is really show!!! Thanks Anderson!!!!! Love his reporter!

April 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Leo Allaire

My comment is on the pirates.. The powers to be should disable those little boats and see is their freinds come to their rescue. Shoot a couple of holes in the boats and leave them to fate.. Lets see if their suport ships come to help them. If they start using bigger boats, that is just a bigger target to aim for.

April 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  43. craig

david,
    I'm 45 yo and have never been to a political rally, protest or demonstration. Despite my generally low key nature I was eager to go to the tea party in Washington MO tonight to show my frustration with the out of control spending and ridiculous deficits that the current congress and president are burdening us with.

April 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  44. David, Indiana

I agree the protest of women in Afghanistan against that law is a hopeful sign. Hamid Karzai needs to revoke or veto that law immediately.

April 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Ethric

Hi Christianne:

The way to settle the Afghanistan dilemma is to empower the women. Train and arm at least 10,000 women to defend themselves and keep the peace. Then things will change in Afghanistan. The same goes for Iraq.

April 15, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  46. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I am at the point of buying a large island in the middle of the ocean and toss all the gang members on the island. Let them fight it out and not involving any of us....

April 15, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  47. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Lynn

I also thought of Helicopters mounted on these ships armed with trained sharp shooters. I think there are many options but the shipping lines seems to think that paying the ransom is less expensive...

April 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Lori from IL

@Gene New Castle Deleware - apparently not, becuase I think that it's only those people living in DC that are without full representation now.

April 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Robin in Tampa, FL

I just want to say hello to my favorite CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour! Hope to see more of you on ac360!

April 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Nancy

David and Erica, Wasn't the plight of Afghan women one of Laura Bush's strong interests?

April 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |