April 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/15/09

Tonight, we're waiting for the crew of the Maersk Alabama to return to the U.S. We'll bring you live coverage from Andrews Air Force Base. The crew's captain won't be with them. Capt. Richard Phillips is still aboard the USS Bainbridge and will return to Vermont likely later this week.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the homecoming and tonight's other headlines. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dean

I think a good idea would be to stage ships for entry into the danger zone in large columns with military escorts just like during WWII. Then announce a distance any other ship must keep outside of or be sunk.

April 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. LorenaR

the Afghan women report is so timely. I am reading Khaled Hosseini's book A Thousand Splendid Suns. He offered the interesting opinion that women who wear the burqua feel very secure and safe within their "shrouds"; they can see the world but the world cannot see them. we in the western world look upon the burqua as confining and enslaving.

April 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Megan Dresslar –

Arranged marriages can cause a 12 or 13 year old girl to marry older men.

April 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Larry Still

How do the shipping companies send ransoms to the pirates. They obviously cannot cash a cheque in Somalia. Is a mailbag full of $100 bills sent? Doubt it. How does the money get there? What do the pirates do with the money? Are they driving Cadillacs around the dirt roads of Somalia. Doubt it. Does Anderson think someone outside Somalia - someone with a Swiss bank account - is behind all this piracy?
    Thanks
    Larry Still

April 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Ted O

What about arranged marriage? Or the fact that women in afghanistan can be forced to not leave the house? There is a lack of human rights in this region of the world that this law has nothing to do with, why not talk about the million other things that women in the middle east have to live with?

April 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

Truly sad that the Taliban killed the young couple trying to elope, because the woman wanted out of an arranged marriage agreement (before arranged marriage actually took place.)

Glad to see women marching in Afghanistan marching for their own rights. While the world community needs to support them, I believe they are the ones most likely to bring about change in their culture/society.

April 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Rafael Bronx,NY

@Dodie

I know it's kinda sad for these women. They deserve a better life.

April 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  8. lynn

David Gergen: You are right about Pres. Obama's army...he got almost as many people at a campaign rally in Portland, Oregon!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. starr formerly known as vincent

Here we go again.....The Taliban is making a come-back.

I support basic cultural issues internationally, however, like any "fundamental religious" movement, the Taliban represents truly backwards thinking in almost every respect.

Over half of the planet is female! No children could be born without them! I don't think it is a lot to ask from ANY culture to honor over half of their memebers, WOMEN!

April 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Brian Lempriere

Who is fooling whom? It is said we can't find the pirates in 1,000,000 sqmiles, yet the pirates find their targets! Surely the targets (real shipping or some plnts) can serve as bait to draw the pirates. Then they can be watched by sea and air, and taken care of. In addition, surely our efforts can be focussed on the much smaller areas of the shipping lanes.
    Brian L:empriere

April 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Miss J

Tell Christiane to come blog with us on the commercial breaks.

April 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jane

Awesome to see these Afghan women demostrate, hopefully the international community will support them, they showed alot of courage and heart.

April 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Even today, it is so sad to see women oppressed

April 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Dustin

The amazing Christiane Amanpour is back in the chair tonight and it really is great to have her here!

-Dustin

April 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  15. lynn

Dodie...wouldn't it be the same thing as a warship or drone attacking...I was also thinking of barb wire and fire hoses or hiring companion vessels. for freighters carrying oil, etc..

Everyone is complaining about taxes and now they want more defense money spent. I thought people believed in free enterprise!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Christiane, Erica, David G., AC 360 Team, and all bloggers.

It is great to have you here tonight, Christiane.

So glad that the crew will be back home tonight. I bet they miss be missed a lot.

Yeah!! Cheers to Afghan women. Wish they win their rights back. In this modern days, I can't believe that there is still countries that treat women like they are not as human as men.

It sure is a lot of thing to catch up tonight.

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Very sad for the women in Afgan!

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Bill Russell

Pirates are bullies and we learn at an early age how to deal with bullies. In the end you have to kick their butt that's the only language they understand. As for not paying ransoms well IMO its not a good idea to say never. Do what it takes to save the innocent then go after the guilty till they are dead.

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

my question,
    is that culture 8 years old girl can married old man, why? I think women have to rights to free from men to marriage.

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Jane

The Administration needs to be reminded that they cannot keep spending/ keep planning on spending trillions of money we dont have. Granted some money needs to be spend, but not at the rate they are doing it. our kids/grand kids will be glad these tea parties were held, if the administration wakes up.

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Juan - Colombia

Christiane Amanpour´s credibility is awesome- devastatingly effective. Congratulations

April 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

Isabel, almost like you got an extension on your taxes w/ your tax date being Apr 30. Also, I agree hard to think about income tax without money circulating from jobs. Also it is reassuring that President has strong support behind him as David Gergen says.

Shot for trying to elope? I can't believe that.

April 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Helen, Georgia

It is not my responsibility as a tax payer to bail out failing companies or to fund the bonus of failing employees. My Government should not spend my tax dollars in this way and I attended a tea party to let them know I protest there decisions. No More Bail Outs!!!! I hope the people attending the Tea Parties will stay fired up and the fire will spread across this Nation.

April 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This law just completely infuriates me...its sad that in 2009 some countries still treat woman as things, property even! Its ridiculous!

April 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Anthonia-California

Iam very proud that the Afghan women are fighting for their rights! even if they are in danger

April 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Ted O

My registration renewal cost me more than $400 this year! That's what the tea parties are about, even if I see an extra $20 every two weeks in my paycheck, it's ridiculous to completely disregard municipal and state tax increases caused by the careless spending

April 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Why not use our satellites to determine the Pirates' positions

April 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Miss J

I really wish that we would stop calling them ‘pirates’; it romanticizes them too much – they are really ’sea-terrorists’.

You have a point. I admit I didn't take it too seriously when I first heard of it – but part of that is because I try to block out as much sad news as possible. But the other part of me just thought of Johnny Depp!

April 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Chuck - Portland OR

Hi All – I believe the most important aspect of the tea parties has to be freedom of speech! It doesn't matter whether we agree with their views or not. We have a great country that gives us the freedom to protest for Animal Rights, the Environment, Tax Reform, Gun Rights, Peace, Justice, etc. Honestly, I can don't know who is behind the tea parties. Let's celebrate free speech, not deride those who are expressing their inalienable rights.

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Sabrina

@Beth- You will only being paying 3% higher taxes when Bush's tax cuts expire next year only if you are in the top 5%.

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ lynn

and to add to your comment... there might be a big problem with carrying firepower on board a tanker. I do not know how the ship would receive firepower having so much petroleum on their ship

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  32. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

I'm always happy to see and hear from David Gergen.David you have the most humanistic insight into issues .I respect your civility and your temperament.You can also get in a good laugh too. Hello from Boston!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  33. starr formerly known as vincent

@ David (the Great) G, excellent comments, as always.

You areright, Pres. Obama has an army of people, quite a large one right now!

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Gene New Castle Delaware

Do the people out there really know what the 1st tea party was really
    about in 1773??????????

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Joe...I didn't say that the 2nd amendment was written for hunting purposes....just that that is the only purpose that we own guns for....I understand the 2nd amendment and a person right to own even semi-automatic guns...I don't think, however, that those that use their gun inappropriately should continue to be able to exercise that right...

April 15, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    How do Susan Boyle that, she is amazing voice!!!!! I never see her that before, I have no idea she have good spirit voice!!! Awesome!

April 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Davida in KSA

I really wish that we would stop calling them 'pirates'; it romanticizes them too much – they are really 'sea-terrorists'.

April 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Rafael Bronx,NY

I actually saw the Susan Boyle performance on youtube today . Her singing is kinda relaxing.

April 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Steve Fogle

Anderson, I have not heard a word about who the young Somali looking individual is in the film of Captain Phillips on the BAINBRIDGE. If he was a sailor he would be in uniform. He's too young looking to be anything else. No civilians would be on board a Navy ship. I bet he's the 4th pirate!!! He's got his arm all over Phillips like he really is happy he got rescued! No doubt trying to preserve his own life. Check it out, Anderson, see what the deal is. Thanks!

April 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Missy

The people are sick and tired of bailouts of all companies!! To talk about a billion here or a trillion there can infuriate the average person just trying to make grocerys last until the next payday and just when you thought you have had enough your state raises taxes!

April 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. lynn

starr: There are 16 other nations with war ships in the area. Britain, France, Canada, Australia....

However, I think it is up to the owners of the ships as well to hire the people and do what is necesasary to protect their crew and cargo.

April 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Mike Syracuse, NY

The Supreme Court has upheald that gun ownership can be regulated. For example there is a federal law that bans fully automatic weapons (e.g. machine guns), which has been upheld by the S. Court.

April 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

the SEALs are absolutely amazing and they get nothing but respect and admiration from me....only the best of the best get to be a SEAL

April 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Cherry B - Ms

Kudos to Ms Clinton for firmly stating this country doesn't pay ransoms. Why can't our intelligence discover the source of the pirate's funding? Seems we need to hit the base of these operations, rather than these pirates.

April 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Miss J

Thanks Erica! I'm already a fan. I didn't think it would be such a big deal until I saw the entire clip.

April 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Fred

Yeah, like the pirates are out to avenge their fallen brothers. It's just an excuse for more violence. They'd shoot each other for a buck.

April 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Greg, Austin Tx

I never understood why criminals always have to avenge the deaths of their comrade criminals. Apparently it doesn't just happen in the movies.

April 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  48. ericacnn

@Miss J – fear not, Susan Boyle is still to come.

Always a treat for us to have David Gergen on the blog.

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Tracy

Do these tea party people understand what the Boston Tea party was all about? Seems to me they have representation, just not by GW who by the way stomped on more Constitutional rights than they areobviously aware of. Where was their protesting then? They are lucky to be Americans. Maybe they should pick up a third grade history book and read all about the American revolution and how our founders established all of our rights, not just the second amendment. Get a life.

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

I thought the tea parties, though I totally disagree with them, were a creative kind of humorous way to voice a protest, but again taxes are going down for 90 percent of wage earners.

I can't believe we're halfway to the weekend, hump day if you have a job.

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |