April 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/15/09

Tonight, we're waiting for the crew of the Maersk Alabama to return to the U.S. We'll bring you live coverage from Andrews Air Force Base. The crew's captain won't be with them. Capt. Richard Phillips is still aboard the USS Bainbridge and will return to Vermont likely later this week.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the homecoming and tonight's other headlines. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Anthonia-California

These pirates just keeps coming and coming
    almost like ants marching towards a piece of cake
    placed on a counter

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Lori from IL

@Martin - nice thought, but the states are broke – who's going to pay for the services we all seem to demand these days?

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Rafael Bronx,NY

I completely agree... we must put a stop to all these hijackings!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. lynn

How well did the modern day "merchants" do when they were "let free to manage for themselves"? Their greed caused this crash.

April 15, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello David G.
    I am glad see you on Live Blog!!!!!! Yes, we don't have tea party..... I have been file taxes already. You are handsome guy!

April 15, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Joe

@Rikki: your right to own a gun was not written into the 2nd amendment for hunting purposes. Read the ammendment...maybe then it will sink in why we have the right to own guns (even semi-auto ones). It's not even about protecting yourself from burglars too (although that is helpful).

April 15, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. beth

The lowered taxes for 90% of the wage earners comes to approximately $13.00 per pay check and will go down to $8 at the end of this year. I don't consider that thirteen dollar a week tax cut a legitimate one. when the Bush tax cuts expire we will be paying a lot more than just 13 dollars a week back in taxes.

April 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Rafael Bronx,NY

These pirates are way to violent and they need to be put to a stop with all these hijackings. Seriously Gosh!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Miss J

It's over 9 million people who've watched her now, Christiane.

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. starr formerly known as vincent

I'm concerned about this pirate issues.

I know we can't let them continue to hichjack ships, but it seem that we may be appraoching the issues as another WAR...

There has to be a way to internationalize and share guardianship and protection of commercial shipping.

This time, i would like to see the US work WITH others , not go it alone.

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Michelle

Mr. Gergen the thing is this is nothing new.
    People who don't like taxes for government
    is nothing new. Outside of anger what do t
    they represent.

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Andrea, I couldn't agree more! We do get a say in how our money is spent because we put all those people on the hill or in the White House...it is our responsibility to vote for those elected officials!

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Mike Syracuse, NY

I understand how you feel. I have been tempted to purchase a gun myself. We have had so many shootings in the schools, it would be a welcomed relief!

In Greece, people have to keep their guns(usually machine guns) locked up at the police station. They can check them in and out but can not keep them in the home. Maybe that would be a good alternative.

If you have your kids with you and pull a gun on the 'bad' guy, you could not only end up being killed, but also your children.

Yes, its a difficult call!

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Lori from IL

@Erica - I agree, there is a strong mix tonight. (Have felt that way for the last couple of weeks.) Christiane is doing an awesome job.

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  15. joe K - Hawaii

I agree with some of the comments that this movement against government waste has been hijacked by those people for Fox News and the Republicans. This is sad because the real message of "reform" rather than "revolution" (of what the undertones of the protest seem to reflect) is being quashed. Free speech is a right; however, to be unified as a country is our responsibility.

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Cherry B - Ms

Mr Gergen, again, the voice of wisdom

April 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ David Gergen

Excellent comment!
    I liked the part "President Obama is the one with an army of the people following him." This means a lot!

April 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Leslie

How many of the past yrs gun crimes would have been prevented if we had more gun laws? zero!

April 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Dulcie - Denver

@ Mike in Syracuse.

Nope, it's called a DEMOCRACY for a reason! You are required to pay your fair share of taxes. No, you don't get to line-item veto the stuff you don't like. It's called a DEMOCRACY because WE elect our reps. You don't like what they do? Vote em out.

Guess what? Your side lost.

April 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Janine from PA.

Hello Ms. Amanpour Ms. Hill, Ms. Crowley and all the 360 crew.
    The pirates had AK 47s. Does anyone in their right mind think that their neighbors need to own the same kind of weapon? One does not need all these weapons on their homes, military weapons belong in one place, and that is in the hands of the military. I have no poblem with people owning weapons but not all are appropriate for civilians.

April 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Miss J

Ok – I'll patiently wait until you guys get to Susan Boyle's story.

April 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Martin

"The true theory of our Constitution is surely the wisest and best, that the States are independent as to everything within themselves, and united as to everything respecting foreign affairs. Let the General Government be reduced to foreign concerns only, and let our affairs be disentangled from those of all other nations, except as to commerce, which the merchants will manage the better, the more they are left free to manage for themselves, and our General Government may be reduced to a very simple organization, and a very inexpensive one; a few plain duties to be performed by a few servants."

– Thomas Jefferson

April 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Lampe

I work very hard for my money, and don't like it when I'm told to just hand it over to bailout businesses or people who won't work.

April 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Richard

Why does David (and most CNN "experts") insist on identifying the tea parties as a Republican issue? I just returned from one – there were Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Conservatives (distinct from Republicans), and all sorts of others. Why is it so hard to understand that this is NOT a party issue, nor is it strictly a tax issue. it is about many things, but mostly about out of control spending and government control. It is about the Constitution and a free society run by the people, not the government.

April 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Dan Iowa City, Ia

Do gun activists not realize that the point of increased gun control is to stop the kind of gun violence that has been in the news more and more lately. Yea its a hobby to them, but to others guns are used to kill innocent people. If i can't smoke where i want to anymore, these people shouldn't be able to buy guns like they used to.

April 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

I find the people stockpiing guns because they are afraid President Obama is going to take away their rights to be almost laughable. Wasn't it our last president, George W. Bush, who trampled all over our civil liberties post-911? Where we these people then?

April 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Cherry B - Ms

Wonderful to see the Afghan women up in arms about this awful law

April 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

How long was the assault weapons ban in place before? I don't see why anyone in the public at large needs those kinds of firearms. Seems like there are lots of problems with illegal gun purchases that need to be addressed too. Saw a Frontline report a long time ago about guns being stolen from manufacturers with incredible lax plant security.

April 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Erica!
    Can't wait see them to Arrive air Force Base, I am so thrill see them!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Miss J

I have been paying ZERO attention to these stupid tea parties.

April 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Willie

Hopefully the tea parties will wake up the GOP to finally have the nerve to challenge the Dems on spending.

April 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  32. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

I can't help but notice the many heroic stories in the news lately..In a world that is torn apart with strife and hatred it's so nice to see the "Good News"....It gives me hope..Thank you !

April 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Amanda

I don't think the concern regarding responsible people owning guns is the issue. The problem is with the illegal arms dealers that are forcing the American government to take a stance and consequently reduce the rights of ownership on certain weapons. Besides, who needs an assault rifle unless you're a soldier?

April 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Andrea, TN

@Christine You do have a say how your money is spent – it's called voting. If you don't like the way they spend it, vote for someone else next time.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Dodie, banning guns will only mean that the bad guys will do all the shooting. Personally I'd like the ability to shoot back if someone shot at me or my children.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Miss J

I didn’t even know who Susan Boyle was yesterday and now her song and her voice and the expression on people’s faces is all I’ve been talking about all day. Simply amazing.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Jim- Calif

Yeah Income Taxes are down but taxes on my Gas, Cigeretts are up-
    Your screwed either way.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Stuart Kimball

where were all the Tea Partyers 8 years ago when the first trillion was added back to the deficit? Was that money we could afford to borrow? Where were the protests when the next trillion in deficits were created?and the next?
    Amd look at the politicians leading these rallies–will there ever be a sense of shame?They seem to have all been in office throughout the deficit expansion
    It seems to me what would help would be a 'we party' where every single American agreed that since we each caused the deficit through our choices and therefore that we each will committ to a contribution of time to public works projects or what have you/ or will contribiyte a much better action idea than this one.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  39. David Gergen

Hello everyone - With Anderson away tonight, it was really good to have Christiane in the chair - and to join you here. Beth, think you are right - these tea parties do represent a sizable minority, but Gary, afraid I disagree: they do not seem to represent anything close to a revolution - at least not now. We'll have to wait and see what coming months bring, but right now, President Obama is the one with the an army of people following him.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Rafael Bronx,NY

I just can't wait to see these crews finally get back on US soil and get back together with there loved ones.

April 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Jeff - american in south korea

the only thing revolutionary about these tea parties is that these individuals just are frustrated that they are out of power and that the GOP has lost touch with the people. they are trying to find themselves an issue or something. its just sad how misinformed they are.

April 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

AC team,

A feedback: the liveblog is slow and the posts doesn't appear that are waiting moderator.

April 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Kathy, Chicago

I think that they need to concentrate more on the illegal guns bought on the streets. I am not a gun person, but there are respectful gun owners, and there are thugs on the street.

April 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  44. KarenT

Hi all.

So, the corporations who lobbied for the bailed out corporations like AIG and Citigroup are behind these protests? That says it all.

April 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Martin

Tea party events are not about just taxes.
    People are angry at Washington.
    Politicians are not listening. This is our money they are distributing to failed people and business.

Since when is failure rewarded ???

This ruse from Obama on reform is simply socialism.

Obama wants our dependence on government to solidify power.

April 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Mike Syracuse, NY

I suspect that the vast majority demonstrating aren't in the dreaded $250K and above income group. By the way, who among us would turn down the opportunity to be in that group? @Dulcie, it's not greed to want to keep what you earn.

April 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dodie,
    I agree with you!!!!!! I hate guns in my house..... that is so scary, one time, our schools will not tolerance use their guns....... I heard that one student had gun at the school, my hometown, That is so bad!

April 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. ericacnn

Hi, everyone – great to have Christiane back with us tonight.
    A really strong mix of stories in tonight's show, but through it all, we are also keeping one eye trained on Andrews Air Force Base as we wait for the crew of the Maersk Alabama to touch down...

April 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Sabrina

These people are so paranoid, Obama is an ex constitutional law professor he believes in the 2nd amendment. I just do not get the hysteria.

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Cherry B - Ms

Sad to me about this run on guns and ammo. Again, freedom of choice. I just don't agree with it. Seems very paranoid to me.

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |