April 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/15/09

Tonight, we're waiting for the crew of the Maersk Alabama to return to the U.S. We'll bring you live coverage from Andrews Air Force Base. The crew's captain won't be with them. Capt. Richard Phillips is still aboard the USS Bainbridge and will return to Vermont likely later this week.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the homecoming and tonight's other headlines. Watch our WEBCAST

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi Christiane! Glad to see you back at the anchor desk! and hello to the crew, producers, guests, David G, everybody.

And hello fellow bloggers, i'm running late tonight, just got home.

Looking forward to a great show and blog as always!

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

President Obama cannot take away your guns...you have a constitutional right to own a gun...but the way that I look at it, some people shouldn't have guns because they use them inappropriately...why would someone own the semi-automatic gun? We own guns but only for hunting purposes...and the rest of the year they are locked up in a gun case and only one person has the keys to them....

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Jayden,FL

We need some kind of gun control in this country! and I hope Obama does something about it

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. jim

Mr Toobin should check his history. Not sure of the exact language, but I believe a condition of Texas joining the Union was that Texas could return to being a Republic if it chose to.

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. KarenT

Obama has never said he would take gun rights away. The right wing media is feeding this frenzy.

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Jeff L

You guys keep missng the point of the Tea Parties. Even those of us who voted for Obama are tired of HOW OUR TAX DOLLARS ARE SPENT. That's where our anger comes from.

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Bridget, TX

@April, how did you identify the Dems, gop and independent since they didn't wear labels?

April 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The biggest star of the moment ... Susan Boyle is everywhere! Good for her! 🙂

April 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It is difficult to understand and develop the idea of paying an income tax when there are no jobs or money circulating

April 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Ken Nelson

Texas is the only state that can legally secede. The Texas constitution allows it. It is not fantasy. Rick Perry is correct in what he was saying, your expert was not.

April 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Cherry B - Ms

Welcome Christiane! Good to see you on again. Hello to all you great bloggers and the 360 crew. I'm with Megan D, don't like the tea parties, but that's what America is about – freedom

April 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Margaret in OH

I agree with Bob. I am thankful that I live in this country and have the freedoms that we are granted here. The day is really Patriots Day and is a day to celebrate people who have stood up for their country- The millitary and others.

April 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Hi Christiane nice to see you anchoring AC360 tonight, hi Erica, everyone. Glad to see that the crew of the Alabama will be home soon, though sorry that the Capt is not yet back.

I feel the tea parties are possibly the beginng of a grass roots movement, but for now President Obama has lowered taxes for something like 90 percent of wage earners has he not, not to mention the first time home buyer tax credit, and the new care purchase credit.
    The President is doing his best here, but one consequence of the stimulus package, and huge discretionary spending could be massive deficits that would need to be funded with tax increases.

April 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  14. April

Today's T-parties were not organized by the GOP. It was a grassroots movement of concerned citizens. I saw Dems, Repub. and Independents there.

April 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Jeff - american in south korea

i think the whole tea party thing is pathetic. it was not a news event but a created news event. the hate radio heads and faux news wanted to create a story – and they did.

April 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Miss J

I just love that woman – Susan Boyle.

I didn't even know who she was yesterday and now her song and her voice and the expression on people's faces is all I've been talking about all day.

April 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Ahem!!! How about the right NOT to dodge bullets???

How about the right not to have my child shot at school???

How about the right to watch TV and not have bullets flying through my living room window???

How about those rights???

April 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Christine

I really think income tax should be paid by only those in government. They are the ones who made the IRS they should be the ones to pay for it. I am so tired of paying the government for stupid pet projects and we get no say on how are money is used. When they ask me what I want to spend MY money on then they can have it.

April 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greeting to All! It's good to be back! Hello Cristiane,nice to see you as well. : )Yes ,I did my taxes today...It was painless.Whew!

April 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with David G is saying, he have good point his comment including tea party.

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Lynn

They needed to explain exactly what they would cut to reduce gov't. Pres. Obama is not responsible for anything but the federal tax but most of the anger was directed at him.

I agree with you Dulcie!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Hogan Sherrow

These "tea parties" are ludicrous. These people are just finding a way to vent, but they're missing the history and insulting the actions taken by our forefathers. The original tea party was a protest over taxation without representation – something that doesn't apply here.

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Vanessa, TX

Good evening Mr Gergen and Mr Toobin.and Esma..
    I approve of POTUS decision on our economy..and, yes, taxes are the LAST thing on my mind...taxes have been around for many, many years...its not gonna go away, I think its because its April 15 that ppl make a big deal.

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It is always interesting to see when other countries have their tax deadline!

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Lori from IL

@Jeff Toobin - I agree about the anger. I have a feeling that FOX news, Rush Limbaugh, etc. are the ones fueling the anger - no one else really covered the tea parties until today.

@David Gergen - I always appreciate your words of wisdom.

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Miss J

Is 360 going to show Susan Boyle again? Her youtube video is nearing 10 million hits! Just earlier this evening it was 6 million!

April 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Those people that are so enraged had it easy for the past 8 years. Now it is their turn to pay up. I have paid huge taxes for the past 8 years. Finally, my tax level is very acceptable for me.

April 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Bob Coyle

I am grateful that I live in this country and would pay double taxes to stay here. I wonder how many tax protesters have untaxed dollars in tax haven banks? I think they should shut up.

April 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. beth

@David
    You are absolutely right! The T-parties are about much more than taxes and this is not a "tiny" minority.

April 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Gary

You havn't figured it out yet. It is NOT a minority. You are watching a revolution.

April 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Sherry, N. Calif.

Hi Christiane,
    So good to see you in America again. I think Tea Party is hilarious and humiliating. They are acting like little children. Jumping up & down, Give me, give me. Yeah right! Americans obviously cannot manage their own credit card accounts, let alone giving them the money in a lump sum to see that roads are built, children are taught, etc.
    The coverage of news media is not helping. We all should ignore them. I am sure most of them do not pay extra taxes on April 15th if at all.
    I do believe with Mr. Toobin. “sinister and dangerous.”

April 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Dulcie - Denver

I think the tea parties are a lot of sour grapes from conservatives. Their favorite ox (personal greed) has been gored and man, are they unhappy.

Suck it up, folks – it's time for the little guy to have his day.

April 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

In my case there is still time because my deadline April 30 (in Brazil).

But anywhere in the world one thing is unanimous: the requirement to make income tax is boring! Disgusting … ace!

April 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Lynn

The tea parties may have started out as a populist movement but that was hijacked by the pundits on Fox News and Republican organizations like Freedom Watch.

The Republican politicians should get some backbone and not sit around waiting to see if it flies or not.

April 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hate Tea Party, I don't think they will have problem with taxes......... i saw people are protesting about tea party.

April 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Dodie, look at your total tax burden; federal, state, local, property, sales, services, etc. The small tax cut in federal doesn't make up for everything else that's going up.

April 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Cristy Kirssin

Hello Christianne and fellow bloggers!! We're half 3/4 way through the week!! Woo Hoo!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Tax day...always a fun day...in ND almost every county got a 1 month extension on their taxes due to the flood!

I'm with David Gergen....not giving these 'Tea Parties' much swell at all!

April 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Vanessa, TX

Hi Ms Amanpour..all the smartees..good evening..
    I don't get all these protest..taxes help pay for repairs on roads..frankly, I don't want more tool roads..I think ppl are exaggerating w/ the taxes..I, too, pay taxes..for me, its money I don't see, its okay..

April 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Lori from IL

Good evening Christiane, Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers -

Glad to see Christiane sitting in for Anderson tonight.

Not a big fan of the tea parties - I respect people's right to protest as long as it's done peacefully. However, I have a feeling most people were followers, not really understanding how taxes are levied and what services they pay for - if we don't pay taxes we don't get police and fire protection, roads, schools, etc.

April 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Miss J

I almost don't want to watch 360. I want to see this Susan Boyle youtube video over and over again. lol

April 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Christiane, Erica and my fellow evening conversationalists! Hope you had a great day!

April 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Kathy, Chicago

Ugh! Tax day. I think that I could do better things with my tax money than the government. It is a dark day.

April 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Rafael Bronx,NY

Hey everybody Happy Wednesday

April 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Dodie from Irvine, CA

This year, my taxes are lower than in the past 8 years. Those in the tea party must be in the millionaire club!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey All. Hey Christiane Amanpour, nice to have you filling in tonight, Erica, David G., twitter/facebook buddies, and the rest of the best bloggers in the world.

April 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Miss J

I cannot get over this story about Susan Boyle. I just love her and her voice.

April 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Christaine, Erica, David G, and (Anderson) & my friend twitter/Facebook bloggers!!!
    Happy Wednesday Night!
    Welcome home Maersk Alabama crew!!!! I am so exciting for them bring home!!!!!! That will be cool, Also Captain Phillips.

April 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Evening Everyone!

Ah, half way through the work week!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening, Christiane Amanpour!
    It’s good to see you!