April 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/14/09

Tonight, Randi Kaye has the shocking story of a Massachusetts 11-year-old boy who committed suicide because his parents say he was bullied at school. Carl Joseph Walker Hoover was a sixth grader, who was a good student. Hoover's mom says other students told her son "you act gay" and "you look gay." She says even one student threatened to kill him. Is bullying out of control in America's schools? Sound off below. And, go ahead and text your question on this story to Anderson. Just text "AC" in the message and add your name, location and question. Then send it to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on bullying and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Constance, Queens, NY

Schools need to take responsibility as well. Policy not enforced is not a policy at all. Parents and schools please take action.

April 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Renee

@ Andy Peters: Great parent here! The tone and enforcement of bullying rules are set by the principal. Bad principals let this stuff go on and on. It is the school management to blame. It is up to the principal to say I will NOT tolerate this at my school. It is about hold people accountable which I am sure you do.

Thanks for blogging tonight!

April 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Bo goes to school!"

April 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  4. EM

Good show everyone...till tomorrow

April 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  5. KellieAnn Rowe

It seems bullying gets worse and worse. I don't have kids yet but it makes me wonder how bad it will get when they are in school. I don't know if things were this bad when I was in school; they don't seem like they were but I could be wrong. How are parents supposed to guide their their children when there are bully's that have parents that don't react to their behavior?

April 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Michelle

I loved Jack Grays; post on Bo. How big will
    that dog get? His paws seem large for 6 months.

April 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Caroline, Los Angeles

That lady has a good voice but lordy, she doesn't know not to wear black pantyhose with a light colored dress.

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Ken

Don't blame schools for everything. Many times students don't want to report bullying so as not to be considered a "snitch." I'm sure that the majority of educators, if made aware of an ongoing bullying problem, will address the problem to a satisfactory end when possible. However, teachers rarely get an opportunity to leave their classrooms (most bullying occurs outside of class)... because they are teaching, and administrators can only address what takes place at school or immediately before or after if the incident occurred off campus (a lot of bullying occurs off campus). Parents can do a better job of teaching their kids how to treat other human beings.

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Rafael Bronx,NY

Well Good Night Anderson, Erica, and bloogers

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Mike Syracuse, NY

As sad as the bullying story was, perhaps instead of trying to resolve it with the school, the mother should have encouraged her son to fight back. Bullies back down when confronted because at heart they are cowards.

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Sabrina

Loved the Prez getting pulled up the hill by Bo, too cute!

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Barbara

I am deeply saddend for the family of this young boy. Our society regretfully has been so desensitized to all aspects of respect for others. It starts in the home before anywhere else! 🙁

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Genevieve M, TX

Re: The Shot

I saw that video last night on YouTube and the lady is proof indeed that "you should never judge someone based on their looks".

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Cessy, Chicago

yeap! just as expected...it's all bout performing for the cameras...ugh!

I'm done for the night...goodnight Anderson and everyone!

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Esma

I love animals as much as the next person, but for the love of Dog, this is ridiculous.

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Elaine, Des Moines, IA

I want a dog too!! Bo's just too cute! I can't believe all the press for Bo...what a lucky dog.

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Fay - California

I thought that breed of dog was kind of odd looking when I first saw one on 360, but Bo is pretty adorable.

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Cherry B - Ms

Sure hope Bo got some down time today after the press. Poor little guy, fourth home and third name and he's just 6 mos old. They're going to have to be very patient with him.

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

I loved the video of Bo taking President Obama for a run! The girls will have a lot of fun with Bo -

And the YouTube lady is amazing - I vote yes, she captured Simon Cowell's heart - that smile on his face is genuine.

It's about that time - so good night to all....

Great show/good mix, Anderson and Team 360.

Interesting chat tonight...

Until tomorrow......

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The Wonder White House Water Dog?...This is the real news! I'm so excited for Sasha and Maliyah...but now that the dog is home what are we going to talk about?

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Barbara in Boston

We've been hearing about this terrible story in Massachusetts for the last week. Not only was this child horribly intimidated by the name-calling, but he was too afraid to turn the kids in. He told his mother he didn't want to be a "snitch." What is wrong with our society when kids are allowed to be cruel and heartless and then their victims get the message that its bad to try to set things right?

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Constance, Queens, NY

I hope the parents wake up and realize they need to teach their children tolerance and love as soon as they start breathing. Intolerance is a learned behavior. Maybe parents should start educating themselves as well. Wake up fellow humans!

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Cristy Kirssin

I don't think you can go around thinking every victim of teasing, bullying will take his/her own life, but however it is something for every person to think about the powerful effects of words and the destructiveness/harm it can cause it another individual's life when used in the wrong way, a way meant to cause harm or destruction. That is a good lesson to be learned from this.

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Chris

It's not even about sexual preference. These kids are being taught to hate anything their parents don't like or don't understand. I was bullied because I was freakishly tall for my age and I came close to killing myself a few times. The blame lies with the parents, not the children.

April 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Stephen Wilkerson (Drew) MD

Anderson,

The bullying problem comes from the home. We need to talk about root causes and real world solutions. the Blame game won't work, only education, tollarance, and understanding will work.

Drew

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Anthonia-California

Geeez, Bo is super enegentic!
    but hes soo cuute 🙂

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Dodie from Irvine, CA

poor dog.. wonder if all the people and cameras scare him.... He needs a friend!! 4th owner? OMG

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Betty..."Bullying occurs when the child is bullied at home."

That's not really true. Kids who appear effiminate or physically weak are targets for others who are angry or don't like themselves. These aren't the only reasons, there are plenty more.

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. bobR

Has "bullying" changed so much in 50 years? I was always picked on in school because I was always the smallest one in my classes. It was horrible, but I learned how to handle it, how to deal with it. Most kids went through it at one point or another. It was part of growing up. What is it that has changed?

I think there is a problem with a society that does everything in its power to shield its children from all the unpleasant realities of life. When those children grow up and realize that life is tough, and that everyone is not going to roll over for them, isn't that a bigger blow than learning to deal with life's unpleasantness when you're young?

It's Darwinian.

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. jacqueline, ny

Texting now? What is CNN trying to do to us? Fry our brains? First, there was just the TV, and then blogging on the net, then live blogging, and then came the web cam, and webcast with Erica Hill, the facbooking, then twittrring - Oy Vey! I'm exhausted. And now as if you haven't given us enough to do, we now have TEXTING! I think I feel a conniption comming on. Think, "Scanners" and "Altered States"

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Christine

RE: Bullied to Death

Perhaps it should be called "bullycide".

Four years ago my 15 year-old nephew died by suicide. He died on the railroad tracks by his school. He had been enduring bullying at his school. Those in power at the school have been sweeping this issue under the rug forever. Recently we worked to get some legislation passed at the state level (Ohio) but have recently found that teachers and some administrators at my nephew's former school are still handling situations in very incompetent ways and trying to hide bullying.

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Samantha M.

Susan Boyle was amazing! Def deserves the attention!

You know hu Simon also liked? Fabia Cerra... anyone catch her performance on Britain's Got Talent?! hilarious!

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  33. EM

@Maria- I agree. It is more appetizing to be complacent than an individual. And that's really sad...

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Dulcie - Denver

Anderson's tea-bagging comment was hysterical! I couldn't believe he said that!

To the lady pouring Arizona tea out into the water? That's different

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  35. Caroline, Los Angeles

@starr-quite frankly, it is all still considered a rite of passage at many schools. That's why legislators finally decided to write laws about bullying. Parents put pressure on them, not the school personnel. It's still considered "normal" at many schools.

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  36. Stacey

I am listening to this mother speak about the death of her son... she is so calm... I dont understand that????

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ starr formerly known as vincent

my heart goes out to you. You are absolutely correct. Bullying exacerbates low self esteem

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Sabrina

@Robin in Tampa Fl, I agree Obama did not say he would get rid of earmarks because he believes some are good he promised more transparency.

April 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Dwayne

It takes a village. Bullying has always been a problem. The parties cannot fix it by themselves they have to work together. Even together it is many times like catching smoke. It becomes one person's word against another. Many times the best of intentions by parents and school officials can even lead to the bullying becoming worse. What happens to the kid that gets wrongly accused of bullying by a kid seeking attention or trying to get someone in trouble. Again back to my statement, it takes all parties working together in a civil manner.

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  40. Tom S.

What Was That !?! From 'The Hetrick-Martin Institute' !?! Nobody Said The Kid WAS Gay ! The Bullies Were Just CALLING Him Gay !

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Cherry B - Ms

Saw this incredible video of the British lady singer a couple of days ago and was abslutely blown away. If you haven't seen it, go to YouTube. It will bring tears to your eyes!

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Judy Upshaw

Thanks to much for the story on the young man who was bullied. I am a therapist who sees the affect this behavior has on adults who were bullied as children. I also see the affects of bullying on my gay and lesbian pts, It's got to stop! I'm working overtime to help these kids deal with this issue. This issue needs the same attention the civil rights movement received.

Judy

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Sarah Berg

There is much that schools and parents can do to address bullying. Ripple Effects is a private, computer-based tool that gives children–both bully victims, and bully offenders, skills they separately need to change their behavior. Research has shown that it successfully teaches empathy–a key skill that bullies lack.

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba

@ Cheryl
    To a mom to know this things must be terrible. Give strength and courage to her daughter!

April 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  45. Michelle

Bo is too cute.

April 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Mike

Bullys and victims are made by the age of 8. You must break the habit or it will likely continue until they're 80.

April 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's cool for president Obama, First Lady Michelle, their daughters Malia and Shasa, new dog is so cute, I love their dog!!! I want take care that dog!

April 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Sam

Enough about the dog!

April 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Samantha M.

Arizona tea is so expensive! y would they use that tea?!

April 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Cheryl... I am so sorry to hear about your 13 year-old. I hope she is hooked up with the school counselor. She will definitely need a lot of emotional support.

April 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |