April 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/14/09

Tonight, Randi Kaye has the shocking story of a Massachusetts 11-year-old boy who committed suicide because his parents say he was bullied at school. Carl Joseph Walker Hoover was a sixth grader, who was a good student. Hoover's mom says other students told her son "you act gay" and "you look gay." She says even one student threatened to kill him. Is bullying out of control in America's schools? Sound off below. And, go ahead and text your question on this story to Anderson. Just text "AC" in the message and add your name, location and question. Then send it to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on bullying and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gary

What would you think of an administration which said you were an extremists simply because you disagree with their policies?

April 14, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Samantha M.

Can you imagine what Sandra's mother must be feeling? To realize that not only had her daughter been murdered, but molested before she died... I can't imagine her anger.

3. ericacnn

Some v. disturbing stories tonight - the suspect in little Sandra Cantu's murder, and Randi's upcoming piece on bullying. However, important stories that need to be told.

4. Anita, CA

How different Huckaby's appearence in court is to Casey Anthony's appearance in the Florida court.

5. Anthonia-California

Just unthinkable! i still can't believe a Sunday school teacher and a "loving mother" would kill and rape a little Sandra Cantu, such a sad story.

6. Maren in Oregon

Why if his parents knew he was "taunted daily" why didn't they do sometihing!!

7. Scott

Personally I don't care about the "pork" and get tired of the media spending so much time on it. These items help us get the things we probably would never have had it not been attached to a bill as "pork". So what if a road is built that will rarely be utilized or money is spent to study pig farts??? Overall the "pork" benefits us and helps all of us! Please stop spending so much time focusing on the petty excess items.

8. larry

The problem with the teabaggers is that unless they are making over $250k taxes are lower than they were under Bush.
    If they do make over $250k they will be paying the same rate they paid under Reagan starting in 2011. How many of the protestors tomorrow make upwards of a quarter million per annum?
    Where were the tea bag parties during the Reagan and Bush years?
    I hate taxes and think capital gains taxes should be abolished, but these folks are hypocrites.

9. Bonnie

Elena they aren't making fun of the "tea party", but the term "tea bagging".

10. Stephen Wilkerson (Drew) MD

Anderson,

Don't forget the solution.... Are there no work houses, are there no prisons?

Drew

11. Lynn

When are we going to teach our children to accept others as they are? Even if it means questioning the religious dialogue that may tell us otherwise.
    No child should feel ashamed or unaccepted enough that his or her life is a tortured one, as it must have been for this poor boy to have taken his own life. Let's start taking a hard look at how we treat one another. I feel so bad for poor young Carl and his family and friends.

12. Niwat, Chicago

It was devastating to hear a depressed boy hung himself just because his effeminate orientation. He must have felt so inferior from those bullying schoolmates. well Those kids need some scruple punishments.

13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If this woman was innocent she would be screaming it from the rooftops.

14. Maureen T, Canada

Who can you trust!? How horrible! What is happening nowadays!?

15. Rhonda

Geez, I didn't know that teabaggers were Republicans and radicals at that. Thanks for setting all of us straight. Love the way you put the elephant underneath your "Recession Radicals" graphic. I started out as a Democrat and then became an Independant, but gosh, since I'm pretty upset with the outrageous spending in Washington..guess that makes me a Republican teabagger.

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Genevieve M, TX

The woman raped the girl?!? That is just disgusting!!

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hi All,

Oh this case gives me the creeps. It's just one of the worst.

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  18. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

All the mom and pop shops are closing in my town. That sucks. The first dog is so cute! I hope Pres. Obama still points out the importance of saving a rescue!

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This woman is a monster! The evidence is overwhelming. She deserves nothing less than the death penalty.

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Bo is certainly a cool doggie he looks like a poodle though i thinkl better than a labradoodle @ Jack Gray

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Maren in Oregon

This Cantu murder is just inconceiveable. Caylee's mother in Florida apparently killed her. No one will ever know what motivated eithr woman. We hope they mus be mentally ill. What if they aren't

April 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Robin in Tampa, FL

Drew Griffen is talking about last year's earmarks, this year congress had to submit their earmarks on their websites. All but 71 members have already submitted their earmark requests so progress is being made. Come on CNN if you are going to report a story report at least let the viewers know that progress is being made in terms of increased transparency which President Obama promised.

April 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Isabel Siaba

these tears irritate me deeply!

April 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  24. EM

What sunday school teacher rapes a child? Seriously, where is this emotion coming from...

April 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Kathy

Hi, Anderson, Erica, everyone.

I believe the pirates are itching for the a USA scratching.
    But here is what is getting to me tonight, the removing of an 89 year old man who is sick and most likely dying from his home and family and his doctors. This man my have been a war criminal, but, is there good prove one way or the other.
    Just let him die with his family near and in peace.

This country needs to think for a minute, what is important, a dying man that nothing more can be done to him or to keep our cargo ships safe.

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Anderson you are clever and quick witted as allways .Keep him in line -@Erica Hill

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Renee

With regards to the tea bags, the local organizer is Chairwomen of the Dem party teaming up with the Green Party, Independents and Republicans. Of course there is beer! Is beer partisan?

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Daisy21

It's interesting to hear liberals now saying that deficit spending is just fine. Just a few short months ago, they were campaigning against Republicans (and their boogy man, George Bush) telling the public that deficit spending was irresponsible and unacceptable. I guess it's only unacceptable when it is a Republican in theWhite HOuse.

Also, please, please, please stop with the goofy Obama dog stories. The Obama's are not the only First Family to have a pet. I don't recall such over the top coverage of any other pet in the White House. Somehow, I doubt if the Obama's will be spending much time training or cleaning up after this dog. It seems this dog is merely a prop for more photo opportunities. If not, they would have had a dog before they got to the White HOuse if the kids really wanted one so badly. Why only get one now? By the way, what happened to that shelter dog that was promised they would adopt?

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Tomek

the death of 11 year old Carl brings importance of education about being gay. Perents should spend more time with kids and teach them that being gay is not a crime

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. lynn

The tea parties started as a populist movement but is now being promoted by Fox news and has become politicized with Republicans using it as a money raising event. Michael Steele for one.

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba

@ David, Indiana

I also heard that the pirates are fishermen who are losing their jobs.

But I also heard now the business is very profitable and be a professional pirate is far beyond fishing.

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  32. BettyAnn,Nacogdoches,TX

Our society has turned into a us and them mentality. That has to CHANGE!

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Nancy

Who decides what is pork? Ask people living near factory farms if controlling swine odor is a high priority. Tatoo removal is a program to help gang members leave their old life behind. This kind of shallow analysis is not helpful, and hurts the credibility of the rest of the report

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Steve, NY

Seems as if it is economically more feasible for the shipping companies to pay ransom than to hire security teams. Pretty sad.

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Cherry B - Ms

Well, went to the "pig book" and my dear senator, Thad Cochran, is the top porker. Hope ashamed am I!

April 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  36. David Gergen

Hello again - Good thoughts from many of you on how to put a firm stop to these pirates. Yes, the President has to be careful because these are Muslims, but we cannot let lawlessness rule the high seas. Think we need to work with an alliance of other nations to get really tough here.

Cherry B. of Ms. - Agree with you: President Obama does seem more confident since he came back from Europe.

April 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Stacey

Cristy, I agree. I am sure the boy was showing signs of problems. If it was that severe, why didnt the parents have him change schools or find ways to make sure he didnt have to continue to deal with this or show him how to cope with it???

April 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

I worry about these right wing homegrown terror groups. I especially worry about the safety of the President. I'm sure those whose job it is to protect him are just as concerned and I hope he doesn't take unnecessary chances in light of the severe problems in our country. I imagine the people in these fringe groups have always felt the way they do but now they have more causes to rally around not the least of which unfortunately is the race issue. But we always knew that should he get elected this was a potential danger.

April 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. vanessa from silver spring, MD

The Obama's dog looks so much bigger than the picture, but it's still cute. Hopefully Bo will be a great addition to a great first family.

April 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Samantha M.

Yea, I have to agree.. economy is just less worse. People are still getting laid off and people are still loosing money. Can't let the numbers trick us.

April 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Johnny, KY

Hands down: Anderson's tea-bagging joke was the best I've heard. HA!

April 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Anthonia-California

@Erica Hill- I totally agree, it was great to hear the Captain's point of view about her son being under the pirates hands. She sounded so relieved!

April 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Stacey

Kids have been dealing with bullies for decades... there is way more to this story then what is being disclosed!

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Richard

I am a veteran and I am not happy with the current economic and political situation. Oh my gosh, I just realized that DHS now considers me a right wing extremist threat. Guess I'll have to tell my fellow veterans and my police office friends during our Tea Party tomorrow. They'll certainly have to watch out for me now.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Anderson, Erica, David and Ali. Anderson did you say it's not all grim news today? Oh, Bo is the good news today; he really is a pretty dog. I hope he gets plenty tomatoes to eat this summer. I hear he really likes them. I hope the show doesn't give me nightmares again tonight. No shots of Phil Spector or polar bears. You may go ahead and show that cat, again; you know the one with his ears folded back looking real funny.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Ali Velshi keeps it the economy facts simple for the average person to understand it's got to improve soon and create more jobs here in north america .and Canada instead of shipping everything to Mexico.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Anita, CA

I am attributing some of this child to child violence to video games and parent example or lack of. My best friends son's name is Gabriel. So, some kids at school call him "Gay- briel" and this leads to fighting. We are trying to teach him to handle this in a smarter way. Since we are Jehovah's Witnesses and non-violent, he is slowly learning to fight back smarter with his words but other parents need to do their part to and set a better example for their children, monitor their TV viewing and video games too. Of course, the only excuse for fighting is in defense only for ones life and the faster one can get out of the situation, the better. Poor child, my heart goes out to his parents.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Esma

Carl Hoover was so cute!!! It's really tragic he didn't have anyone to help him, parents and teachers. No child is capable of battling a group of bullies alone.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. MISSY wisconsin

on the economy, we are in a terrible recession, to fix it they want us to spend money, a stimulus check for us like bush did would help alot, also give us a couple of paychecks, with NOTHING TAKEN OUT. just the actual money we earned.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh Anderson!!!
    That's funny, you didn't say that word tea bagging! That's so hilarious!!!! LOL!

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |