April 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/14/09

Tonight, Randi Kaye has the shocking story of a Massachusetts 11-year-old boy who committed suicide because his parents say he was bullied at school. Carl Joseph Walker Hoover was a sixth grader, who was a good student. Hoover's mom says other students told her son "you act gay" and "you look gay." She says even one student threatened to kill him. Is bullying out of control in America's schools? Sound off below. And, go ahead and text your question on this story to Anderson. Just text "AC" in the message and add your name, location and question. Then send it to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on bullying and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I never got a response about earmarks from Rep. Betty Sutton or Senator Sherrod Brown.

April 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Lauren--NY

Anderson...sometimes I cannot believe the things you say. I think I almost fainted. You are hilarious.

April 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Glen Up North

Chuck – though I agree that the current school structure is quite overpopulated by students as opposed to teachers, I am quite sure bullying occurs in private schools (with a better teacher-student ratio) as well. Anyone with experience on this?

April 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Andria

It is truly sad that the world is such a terrible place that teenagers would aquire the militia and the brazenness to hi-jack dozens of ships. What's worse is Somalia's own government is not strong enough to put a stop to the piracy...or maybe stopping the piracy is not their priority. Obviously.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Cherry B - Ms

Pig books and pirates, what a combination! Fact is, pork has been around forever, not likely to ever go away.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Mike Syracuse, NY

Thanks Anderson for finally shining a spotlight on this broken Obama campaign promise on earmarks.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

$200,000 for Tatoo removal? That's ridiculous. Just don't watch "Fantasy Island." (d'plane, d'plane...)

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Bridget, TX

The President's delivered not only a spot on speech, but he explained what they've done, why they made the decisions they've made and why these decisions are the best for our future. Time will tell if he made the right decisions, but at least we know his decisions were not made haphazardly.

I like he forwarned us that decisions can't be made based on polling but what's best in the long run. I'm guessing, he's preparing us to get ready for his ratings to begin to drop. As for me, as long as he's trying and I know, he's working for the masses, I will support him.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Mari

What a terrible tragedy! Where were the teachers, social worker or psychologist, aids for the school, and administration Bullying has got to stop...adults need to protect our kids and also teach them how to communicate with others without making others feel they are a defect. This is just unacceptable behavior...all of the adults need to be disciplined (which means "to teach" not abuse or do harm to another). As for consequences, let the courts decide.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Such gloom on tonight and pirates more pirates why do these ships keep going through this water. i look froward to story on Pres.dog.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Renee

@ Gergen: Obviously you haven't been to a local women's Republican meeting. We have a voice especially in state and local politics. Dems haven't taken over the world! Oh BTW, this pork and earmarks, we are ticked about it.

Love, love, love Drew Griffin!

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Cristy Kirssin

A 11 year old boy committing sucicide for teasing is extreme, no matter how bad it was. I wonder why he didn't switch schools first, or somthing like that. Even that would be a little extreme, I think.

April 14, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Pork chop, anyone?

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Drew does a great job on these earmark reports! This is a "Porkapalooza!"

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Samantha M.

bullying is more of a problem than sexting. it always has been a problem and it isn't getting better, its just getting hidden better.

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  16. lynn

Tom: I don't think a drone can solve the problems as there are crews on board as well as dangerous cargo.

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Esma

That's alot of pork...which will only lead to tapeworms if not cooked properly.

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ali Velshi is incredibly intelligent and I do like the way he describes the economy...Is it getting better or just less worse? I think that it is mostly just less worse.

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Helen Hahn

Any group who tries to impose their will on others through force are not patriots but are thugs just like any criminal. We have a constitution,we have laws. We should respect the presidency even though we may not agree with his policies. He was duly elected by the people,for the people.

April 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. elena boughey

I'm interested to know why you were making fun of the tea party. I've certainly seen on local channels that there are a ton of democrats involved as well.

It's not about parties at this point. It's about the future of our children and what they'll have to pay...

April 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Penny

Why are you lumping all the so-called tea baggers as Republicans? I am a democrat but do not want to pay for my neighbors mortgage, believe Obama is overspending...and believe tea bagging was a great idea....until the democrats started labeling everyone Republican. What gives?

April 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so sad for boy!!! I can't believe he was bullied by other students at school.... I never thought that was so terrible for him!! My heart goes to boy's mom and family. we don't have it to be bullied anymore at school!

April 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I hope more jobs come out of this upsweing in the economy and people will get back on track.

April 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Kara

TEABAGGING? Anderson – seriously? This show keeps getting better every time I watch it...

April 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Sabrina

Ha, I love your dig Anderson at the teabaggers. What a sham that will be tomorrow .

April 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Vegas

Ships can afford to hire private security, qualified armed crew, etc. They have the money. Sure it will cut into profits, but you can't put a price on safety or lives. In addition to that, if pirates demand millions in ransom and take cargo, that's much more money than hiring security.

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

awhhh.....

i just got high speed internet and i can watch you guys on the webcam.

that's flipping awesome!!

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Venton in Dallas Texas..growing up was sheer torture for me as well, especially in High School. With absoltuely no positive re-inforcement I am surprised I am sitting here writing at this blog.

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Cristy Kirssin

@Stacey,

I agree... and not fair to blame it all on Christian Conservative groups like the above comment suggests...There must be something else to this story, seems like a strikingly unusual case....

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Angie- West Chester is the Best Chester

@ Christi- I agree, Ali is great, and makes it easy to understand economics. I do miss the crazy jacket-shirt-tie combinations he used to wear when he was telling us how high oil prices were going to get last summer.

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Javier-Kingston

Its great that the Cpt Phillips of the Maersk Alabama was rescued alive and well. It really was a shame though that the situation could not have been handled with non lethal force. I am by no means a tactical or military strategist, but are the relevant authorities ready to deal with the back lash that will occur?

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Cessy, Chicago

Oh! Anderson– you didnt say " tea bagging!" on CNN.... and manage to keep a straight face! HILARIOUS!

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

Isabel I agree, from what I've learned this weeked watching CNN, many of the pirates are fisherman who have turned to pirating. That's doesn't excuse the hijackings, but it's important to acknowledge

Also I heard that Somalia's waters were overfished, terrible considering the food shortages and poverty in this country.

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  34. starr formerly known as vincent

RE: defficits- they are scary, but, sometimes you have to spend money to make money...there seems to be some sign of life coming back into the economy. But, recoverfy also has a lot todo with where you live.

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Byron in Chicago

Obama's speeches closely follows the DOW,,, where is my stimulus???

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Cessy, Chicago

Talking about the president being overexposed...I'm really not interested on his everyday life.

anyway, its sad to hear that an 11 yr old boy is being teased due to his sexuality. How does an 11 year old even explain how he feels about his sexuality to adults? I'm interested in what his parents have to say about this...Even sadder is that these things do happen...kids can be really, really cruel.

April 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Samantha M.

@lynn – exactly! I'm hoping the media will cover how all other countries are involved as well. Or more, at least cover it more than what it has been covered.

April 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Sabrina

Loved President O's speech today. He is such a great professor, reminds me of class. Gergen you were spot on with your analysis!

April 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  39. larry

Why is it the responsibility of the U.S. government to provide security for these private ships. If they are carrying U.S. goods okay, but otherwise they should pay for their own security provided by Blackwater or another company.

April 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Jane

I didnt hear anything new in the President's speech today, maybe I didnt listen keenly enough!!! or maybe fatigue is setting in

April 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba

Anderson,

Today, investors don’t like the result of sales of trade, which fell in March. The fall in consumption brings concerns because in the first months of the year this rate was high. So many people bet that this trend could mean the beginning of a recovery. With consumption on the rise, businesses turn back to produce and the level of employment would improve, and then forward.

Was this positive assessment rushed?

April 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Greg from Nebraska

Hi all,- the alert by homeland security warning of right wing radicals on the day before taxes are due seem a fishy to me. Could it be related to the fact that people are concerned about the huge amount of money being spent by government with no end in sight? Seems like the usual spin and diversionary tactics used by politicians.

April 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Cherry B - Ms

Thanks to Ali V for ,as usual, for explaining things so well

April 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, Jack Gray, AC 360 Team, and all bloggers.

That was a lot of attack in such a short period of time. Good news to Urbik’s mom and to all of us that he was safe and sound. This pirate situation will not be ended soon, I guess. US Navy better be prepared for a war with those pirates now.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I enjoyed hearing from POTUS today.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

As long as money is circulating, the economy will turn around.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

President Obama has not forgotton about bad economy it may be going upwrad but stil it's not over yet .

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Chuck

While 'bullying' is an age-old problem, the current stresses on our educational system are exacerbating the problem. Student to faculty ratios have reached highs of 30 – 40 students per teacher, yet we criticize how teachers perform and expect "social" education as well as traditional math, science, language, etc. education.

The greatest impact we can have on our educational system is to decrease the number of students in each classroom and allow the customized learning that we've come to expect but do not pay for.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Byron in Chicago

where is ALL this money coming from????

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Eugenia – San Francisco
    Bullying is not new. However, thanks to alterior sources & images that kids are bombarded with daily, I think kids are more numb to the feelings of other kids. Then there's the religious-based rhetoric that actively teaches that certain groups are inferior (ie: gays and lesbians). Among impressionable young persons, that's a bomb waiting to explode–manifesting itself in murder, for example.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |