April 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/14/09

Tonight, Randi Kaye has the shocking story of a Massachusetts 11-year-old boy who committed suicide because his parents say he was bullied at school. Carl Joseph Walker Hoover was a sixth grader, who was a good student. Hoover's mom says other students told her son "you act gay" and "you look gay." She says even one student threatened to kill him. Is bullying out of control in America's schools? Sound off below. And, go ahead and text your question on this story to Anderson. Just text "AC" in the message and add your name, location and question. Then send it to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on bullying and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. lynn

Ethan: Thank you for your service. All comments about vets being recruited must be accomapnied with the extremely small number of 200.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Michelle

When it comes to the economy there will be good days
    and bad days.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Sam

Right Wing Extremist groups??? Sounds political to me. I think it is disgraceful that this type of politically driven rhetoric would come from the office of Homeland Security.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Stacey

I think there is more to this story then what is being disclosed. Kids from every generation have been teased and they have not committed suicide. What really went on at home?

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Bridget, TX

The ship owners should hire ex-seals to patrol their ships. For the next couple of months the miliatary should be given the go ahead to patrol the waters and take out any pirates they see. The word would spread pretty fast, go out their and chances are you won't return.

April 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Steve, NY

Who actually makes and enforces the maritime laws? Perhaps this body of lawmakers should consider allowing armerd guards on all vessals around the African Horn. The arms can certainly be secured when the ships are at port.

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Maren in Oregon

Our houses, in my town in Oregon, have not dropped even 10%, soe less than 5%. It's ot all bad out there. New jobs opening here too. Old jobs – labor is down, inovation and higher tech direct serices are up. It will all even out eventually

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I feel this boys pain of bullyin it's always kids who are insecure about themselves who take it out on tother kids godforbid they should act different or not wear the right clothes or eve say the right words

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Andrew

Comment on Recession Radicals story – good story but why would you show a symbol of the Republican party to lead off. The Republicans may not be popular right now but it is not fair to associate them with nuts like the Oklahoma City bomber

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

Speaking from experience, bullying exists because of lax supervision and refusal of teachers/principals to believe students who are being bullied, if they ever dare to speak out at all.

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Tom

Lynn, patroling via warships is not the answer anyway. Use recon drones and then send out fighters to sink the mother ships and speedboats. 1.2 million miles is NOTHING (1000 x 1000 miles) to a fighter that flies at 700 mph and knows where to look via the recon drones. Aircraft are the answer as based on warships...not warships traveling at 22 nautical mph.

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Cherry B - Ms

Listening to the Presdent's speech earlier today, I got the distinct feeling that he seemed more confident than before his European trip. Maybe it was just me... He has to keep giving these speeches, updating the country because we would just continue to accuse him ofspending money without telling us why.

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Chanel

I think that the schools have to bear some of the responsibility when it comes to bullying. At times the attitude exists that it is a normal part of growing up. Its not, its painful, and bullying must be addressed in schools.

April 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Lori from IL

@David Gergen -

Liked what I heard from President Obama today - glad to see him out talking about the economy - think a lot of people felt he was too busy traveling/dealing with other issues and had taken his eye off the economy. Think his speech today should quiet that criticism.

He needs to take that road of cautious optimism. Confidence helps the economy, but he realizes there are no quick fixes. It's nice to hear him being honest with us.

April 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Johnny, KY

Rev. Mel White had the right idea last night. THIS is what happens when parents and churches tell kids that homosexuality is "wrong," gay people are "bad," and deserving of whatever punishment they see fit. It's awful and it needs to stop.
    That poor young boy was not much older than my younger brother. I cannot even imagine the degree of pain his family is dealing with right now.

April 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. carolyn cee yah

HI ANDERSON, tuning in a little late that so sad about the little
    boy, but ppl are ignorant and scared of being labeled.

April 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David G,
    I agree with you, I am glad he is safe on the ship!!!!!! he is our hero!

April 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Cristy Kirssin

I liked Obama's speech sounding like the sermon on the mount. That was uplifting, and it's true too, the economy is getting better....

April 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Mike Syracuse, NY

Anderson, with all the bad statistics you just quoted, what is Obama looking at to say there are glimmers of hope?

April 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. EM

My question is why isn't the Republican party taking responsibility to control these extreme views that are becoming toxic to the American society, imposing pressure on the security of Pres. Obama?

April 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Bloggers Anderson and Erica
    I can't imagine it his mom getting those e-mails at once it is scary to have these pirates being so forceful why do these ships keep going throught there ?

April 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. robin

anderson this issue with the right wing groups. is being promoted from some of these cable news show such as cnn, lou dobbs, and all of fox news what is cnn doing about their shows contributing

April 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Esma

@ David Gergen–I enjoyed the President's speech, it was intelligent and up-front. I can't ask for more than that.

April 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. starr formerly known as vincent

@ David G.

After reading many comments from the blog last night and giving it some thought, i feel that the best action would be for International forces to unite and get involved with the pirate situation...

i don't know where i saw it, but someone suggested the est5ablishment of"shipping lanes" . That is to say confine the area of where the ships are sailing in order that protection could be more concentrated, and thus defeat the pirates.

April 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Vegas

I believe we should treat right wing extremists with the same vigor as we treat the Taliban, Al Queda, etc. They are no different. The only difference is that they are in the United States of America. We must lead by example, clean our own rats and then go to the others 'round the world.

April 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Alice

The bullying is tragic. I've done a few bullying prevention trainings in schools to help teachers with this problem...this helps, but it really needs to start at home with parents who model behaviors that uplift one another.

April 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Cristy Kirssin

Score!! I'm glad Ali's here to decipher the economic situation! He is awesome!!

April 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Venton in Dallas Texas

My prayers go out to the family of Carl and all the young people who are going through this. This is a very sad story, but not an uncommon one. Young men and women across the nation are bullied daily because of sexual orientation or assumed sexual orientation. When I was the same age 14 years ago, I remember going through some of the same things because of the way I looked, the way I talked or even the way I walked. Please parents and teacher, let your children know that words do hurt and deaths like the one we are discussing could be totally avoided if we all work to stop the hate and ignorance that is fueling these actions in our country.

April 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Genevieve M, TX

When I was very young (under 18), I loved bullies! You could smack them around without consequences because adults never believe them if they tattled. I was never a bully myself, but I often had to defend people who were bullied because the school staff and teachers almost never did anything to stop them. Too bad things have not changed much since then.

April 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Maren in Oregon

Yes! Erica. All my evil friends try to e-mail me during your show. I bat them away like flies! The mom is heroic – any mom with a kid overseas at all, is heroic. She sounded solid, and Andy was so nice to her – he's really sweet to moms.

April 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Marie, IN

I disagree with your guest that Homeland Security , etc. makes it difficult for homegrown attacks. Anyone, homegrown or foreign, need only look to last weeks news when fighter jets followed a plane from Canada across the US and didn't shoot it down per procedure. (Pilot not answering.) how many states and cities did it fly over?
    please

April 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. lynn

I wish CNN would recognize that 16 other nations are involved in this fight. We can't expect allies to be treated as invisible when they are working with us.

April 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Ethan

How do we negotiate with Somali pirates?
    I think the Navy is on the right track on the tact of negotiation needed.

In regards to right-wing extremists recruited Iraq/Afghanistan War vets: It won't work with this Iraq War vet. I am a life long Democrat, raised from the stock of a family of Democrats cut from the cloth of FDR, JFK, Wesley Clark, Stan McChrystal, James Webb, etc.

April 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Dan - California

Anderson: you say racist groups are trying to exploit fears about President Obama's race. What race would that be? The black/white race? Or the white/black race?

April 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Mary Ann

Re: Pirates

Why can't the ships install razor wire all around the edge of a ship like what is done at prisons sites?

April 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Dulcie - Denver

I'm glad to hear you reporting on the rise of right wing militias. I've sensed something of it the last few months. I find it pretty disturbing.

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

HI Erica,
    Yeah, I can't image that he e-mail to his mom, really scary.... I know he is amazing calm send e-mail to his mom!

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

Is bullying out of control in America’s schools?

Ummmm......

I don't know what schools you went to, but it happens everyday in every school and it starts in preschool!

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. lynn

Experts say it would take 240 warships to effectively patrol the 1.2 million square miles of water in the area. Obviously there must be many aspects to the solution.

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Cessy, Chicago

Hello! everyone and good evening. Hi Anderson, Erica, Randi and David!

We just need to keep praying for the safety of the hijacked people. and continue to hope that the Navy and other negotiators will bring success.

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Right Wing Extremist Groups growing?...I can definitely believe that...though I think its sickening

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@David Gergen...I actually enjoyed (yes, enjoyed) the Persident's speech today. It's great that the President understands how to communicate so effectively with the American public. When he speaks, there's no bravado, "code," or inuendo. He's straight-forward and respectful.

April 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I hope more effort is put into fighting the continued danger of piracy. The latest incidents against US ships have highlighted how reckless and alarming the attacks are.

April 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Samantha M.

I can't imagine that mother's fear and anxiety. She probably won't rest till he is in her arms.

April 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

Hello Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers -

Glad to hear the pirates didn't win this time -

Interview with the mom was amazing -

April 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. EM

Amazing navy seals!! Underrepresented indeed. Neighborhood mom case is unbelieveable and disturbing...

April 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Tom

I don't understand why ships being attacked don't radio the USS Boxer and ask for Harrier fighter support. That ship carries Harriers which have the roundtrip range, the armament, and can travel 700 mph. They can get the position of the attacked ship and sink those little speedboats as it takes quite a while for them to get on board with the ship taking evasive action.

April 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Yes, that has always been my fear is someone trying to assinate him because he is not being a sheep and following the herd.

Remember even Ross Perot had his family threatened.

April 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Rafael Bronx,NY

Hey Erica i will be so nervous and scared to receive such message on my email. I wouldn't know what to do or who to call.

April 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Barbara in Boston

The shipping companies have got to begin taking real responsibility for this situation and stop waiting for international ships of war to bail them out. This short-term strategy of paying ransoms is only making things worse.

There must be effective strategies they can adopt. Why don't they travel in convoys with a few armed escorts? That worked in WWI and WWII, as well as historically against pirates.

April 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |