April 13th, 2009

Obama daughters to get Portuguese water dog named 'Bo'

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/12/art.bosolo0412.wh.jpg]

Ed Henry
Senior White House Correspondent

The frenzy over the First Dog is finally over. The Obamas are welcoming a Portuguese water dog to the White House that Sasha and Malia have named "Bo," according to two Democratic sources familiar with the secretive process.

The sources confirmed an account in Sunday's Washington Post that Sen. Edward Kennedy, who has three Portuguese water dogs, played a critical role in lining up the pup.

Keep Reading...

Filed under: 360° Radar • President Barack Obama
  1. aahashi

so much for a dog,lets work.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 am |
  2. Christa Arven

I agree with Diane Epstein in a way,but you know what? I found out in the many years I had Dogs of different breeds and temperament,that everyone of them is deserving of our love. Because they give theirs unconditionally.
    All animals are what the owners(I take that back) I should have said Parents make of them.
    I wish the Obamas lots of happyness with BO.

April 13, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  3. Lakan

Why are people being negative... It's a dog for the KIDS!!! Get Over it,and be happy for the girls.

April 13, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  4. Jay

He named the dog after himself. Bo = Barack Obama ... Coincidence, I don't think so.

April 13, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  5. John Thomas

sounds like Chinese Water Torture....

April 13, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  6. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

that's so cool! My friend's dog is named Bo Bo! Now I'll just have to say that they heard of Bo Bo and got the name from my friend! 😀

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  7. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

As President Obama, 'Bo' also went through arduous electoral process. lol ...

The Obama's family will love. The dog looks so sweet. He is very cute with this Hawaiian style necklace.

April 13, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  8. Maja

this is another typical example of how trivial an soooo insignificant things can distract the media and people in general from focusing on questions that really matter...but oh well no one can do anything about it, it is SIMPLY called media buzz afafafaaafafafafaffafafaaaaaaa

April 13, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  9. diane epstein

This is a wrong dog for the kids. Especially since they never owned a dog before. They have people in the white house that could have directed them better. Hard dog to train and not good for kids. The Labordoodle or the Goldendoodle is more for kids. I which them luck.

diane Cleveland, TN

April 13, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  10. Cyndy White

Bo, the First Dog, will make the First Family's life so much more rich during the next four years. I'm so happy for all six of them ...you didn't forget g'ma, did you?

April 13, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  11. Emily, NYC

Soooooooo cute! Great choice of pooch.

April 13, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  12. stacia

it's a really cute dog. good for them.

April 13, 2009 at 6:20 am |
  13. Shannon

awwwwww hes so cute! and finally a medium sized dog not some little gremlin lookin thing!

April 13, 2009 at 6:09 am |