April 13th, 2009

Morning Buzz: And the First Dog is... (drumroll)

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/12/art.bofam0412.wh.jpg]Penny Manis
AC360° Senior Producer

There are celebrations this morning in Vermont, home of Sea Captain Richard Phillips, after he was rescued over the weekend and now resting comfortably on a U.S. warship. He had been held hostage for almost 5 days. Navy seal snipers killed 3 Somali pirates who took him hostage, and a 4th pirate has been captured-he could spend the rest of his life in a U.S. prison.

The Navy says it acted when one of the pirates was seen pointing an AK47 at the Captain’s back. Somali pirates currently hold more than a dozen ships and over 200 hostages, and they are vowing revenge for the above killings.

We’ll give you the latest on this story, and also tell you how the US administration plans to deal with the piracy problem in the aftermath of this dramatic incident.

IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman outlines the agency’s new plan to help taxpayers who have taken a financial hit today. We’ll tell you what you need to know with tax day right around the corner.

Madonna is hoping to win over the people of Malawi after a judge already rejected her attempt to adopt a 3 year old girl named “Mercy.” She is now appealing, and in an email to a local newspaper in the country, she said she hopes the boy she already adopted and the girl she is trying to adopt will one day return to Malawi to help their people.

If you haven’t already guessed, the AC360 staff is full of dog lovers. This is why we are committed to bringing you the latest on the First Dog. Malia and Sasha will get a Portuguese water dog they have named “Bo.” The First Dog’s debut is set for tomorrow, but his identity and some pictures have been leaked. We can be sure Erica Hill will be raising her hand to tackle this story today.

See you tonight!

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. T. Janes

LIttle men take over big ships? One plus one does not equal two..

Free water needs powerful water pump to blow trash off tanker! Designer needed. Makes more sense

It seems to be there could be a pump that pumps water with enough force to blow these guys off the ships before they can board. Even if it were necessary to incorporated the pumps into the ship's exterior design.

I read they are using barb wire but are they using it at the point of contact?

I praise the wisdom of our President. I respect the bravery and intelligence of our armed forces for yet another successful mission.

April 13, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  2. Lakan

The dog is for the KIDS, Not the President. Be happy for Sasha and Malia, and stop being so negative.

April 13, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

Such a fuss over a dog – more time is spent fussing about the dog story than the story actually takes. Obama said during his campaign that he HOPED they could adopt a dog from the pound – BUT that they had to find a dog as close to hypo-allergenic as possible because of Melia's allergies. There just might not have been a dog fitting their requirements in a shelter....so they get the one Senator Kennedy hooked them up with. I don't see this as a broken campaign promise – they just had to be flexible about where they got the dog to get the dog that fit their requirements.

I'm looking forward to tonight's show – the Captain rescued; the fury of the other pirates. If the pirates decide to take out their frustrations on the other captives this really puts all the countries in a fix – you can't rescue your citizen because someone else's citizen might be killed in reprisal. That's nasty.

April 13, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  4. c,ca

Well, I for one, am going to hold a grudge against President for the rest of my life because he has forced a Portugese dog to wear a Hawaiian lei. If Bo were one of those surfing bulldogs it would be one thing but, this is totally out of line. I am outraged. I think I will organize a campaign to start mailing flowers to the White House in protest. 😉

He's a cute little puppy. He has a good home. Relax – let it go..................

April 13, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  5. Teresa, OH

While I am very happy that the captain was saved, I fear for the rest of the of the hostages: re: "more than a dozen ships and over 200 hostages, and they are vowing revenge for the above killings."
    I hope we didnt save one to jeapardize the others. I think there might be a bloodbath. Something defintiely needs done for those whose jobs are out at sea,

Great news day: Obama's get a dog, and Madonna is trying to get a child. I'm gonna have to go look up Port. water dogs.

April 13, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  6. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ontario

Good Morning Penny
    Hope Anderson,Erica had a happy Easter!
    I am happy the Obama's are finally getting thier long awaited dog.
    The name is is different Bo- as in Didley how cute .
    Great rescue of the captain Phillps thank god he is safe and back with his family .
    Maybe Erica and Anderson should bring thier dogs to work for a special web-cast .
    Thanks for the buzz
    Michelle D.

April 13, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  7. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I'm grateful Captain Phillips is well and he and his family have a happy ending. My paternal grandfather was a boat captain, and this story just hit home in a way most don't.

As for the dog story, Jack Gray is vindicated in the labradoodle saga. I was reading about hypoallergenic dogs this weekend because I'm searching for one for myself (decided on a Bichon). Anyway, hybrids are not recommended for people with allergies because one never knows how hypoallergenic the mix will be. So there. The labradoodle would have been a bad choice for the Obama girls. Now Jack's personal issues with the breed are another matter entirely 🙂 Hopefully Bo will bring the family many years of canine bliss.

April 13, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  8. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good Morning, Penny!
    Morning, Anderson Cooper!

Good stories are always welcome.

I'm happy that the Captain has been redeemed and he is ok. I'm happy to know that the government should do something about it. Let's wait for the government plan is effective and there are no more 'Captain Richard Phillips'.

About the first dog, I think AC360 should bring us news of how the girls responded to their arrival. They must be eager. I'm ... lol ...
    What child is not anxious to know that his' first dog '(double meaning) is coming?

Great week for us all!

Thank you!

April 13, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  9. Sandra

It is great to hear good news!! Wonder if there will be a "Bo Cam" wandering around the White House?????

April 13, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  10. Sandra Robertson, Ga.

Good morning Penny. I think Bo is beautiful. Porties love water; I hope they can keep him out of the goldfish pond.

Thank The Lord our prayers were answered and Capt. Phillips will soon be home.

Go Navy!

April 13, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  11. BettyAnn, Nacogodches,TX

@Cyndy~My facts are straight! Senator Ted is presenting the dog because he suggested the breeder from Dallas. It is all over the news so there's no surprise here.
    This is not change and this is not what President Obama said. Period.

April 13, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  12. Vickey

Hi Penny. I am hearing through sources that Bo is coming from Dallas area.

April 13, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  13. Cyndy White

Come on BettyAnn get your facts straight before going off half-cocked! It's my understanding that the First Dog is being presented by Sen. Ted Kennedy and he owns the same breed. Let's write and think positively during the next 4 years of promised "change." 🙂 Also, have the News people out there ever thought that the Obama's wanted to surprise their daughters with the First Dog? If so, you've ruined it for them! Back off some for the girls sake.

April 13, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  14. Cindy

I am glad that Capt. Phillips was finally rescued and that he wasn't harmed during the rescue. Hopefully he gets home very soon so he and his family can have some alone time..if that'll be possible seeing the media will be hounding him.

I could care less about what dog the Obama's got. There are MANY stories that 360 could be covering that are more worthy than the dog junk! I just hope it's a one night thing and you don't go on and on all week! You all have a tangent of not knowing when to move on from something. This is a news show not E! or TMZ! Move on from the dog thing after tonight PLEASE!!

Cindy..Ga.

April 13, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  15. Carmen

I am bewildered at WHAT MAKES HEADLINES??? The huge riot in Moldova doesn't even make it on the CNN headlines, nor the website (save Ireport). Thankfully Ireporters are doing their work. Meanwhile I've heard countless times about the Obama's dog.
    Carmen (Thailand)

April 13, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  16. BettyAnn, Nacogodches,TX

P.S. Also, Was B O the best name the Pres could come up with? This stinks!

April 13, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogodches,TX

Hi Penny,
    I have worked in animal rescue for over 20 years. One of the reasons I voted for Obama (one) was because he told Americans that HE was a mutt and wanted to rescue a mutt from a shelter.
    Well, he lied. I will hold this against President Obama. First strike with the dog people.
    Very disgusting! On behalf of all the millions of innocent homeless suffering dogs who are sentenced to death for no fault of their own : Shame on President Obama!

April 13, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  18. Ayse-London

Fianlly some good news – you should do it more ofetn Anderson 🙂

April 13, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  19. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Penny and Anderson, hope you had a great Easter. Looking forward to this weeks show. Have a great day.

April 13, 2009 at 8:51 am |