April 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/13/09

Tonight on AC360°, we take you inside the cockpit of a plane where a passenger is at the controls after the pilot died in flight. Some very tense moments. Air traffic control operators did an amazing job helping the passenger safely land the plane.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the daring landing and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Miss J

I knew that Rick Warren was not as hateful as some made him out to be. He is taking crap from both the left and the right.

He does support gay civil unions and many church members wanted him to resign for that.

I think Rick will see the light eventually. : )

April 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Congratulations Roland, Don, & Soledad! Woohoo!

April 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Jason Hersey

I don't think the end of Christian America is near, but I do believe there is a new breed of Christianity coming about. One that focuses on the teachings of Christ!! Love, joy, peace!!

April 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. ericacnn

@Jack Gray – you love that mug, admit it! I can see it now next Halloween... you and Sammy in matching Spector masks

April 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Esma

@ Jack–Phil's looks could kill.

April 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

News Flash! Treating other people like second-class citizens is not Christian.

If Rick Warren isn't supporting gay rights, then he is supporting treating us like we're less than he is.

April 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks for your many comments. Widespread agreement tonight that the Seals, Capt Phillips and the President all deserve commendation.

Esma had a great thought - bring Doug White, Capt Sully and Capt Phillips together around the same table!

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Dulcie - Denver

I know that I personally have left Christianity behind because of the conservatives/fundamentalists/pentacostals. I decided to take a different path that is more humane. Judgement is for God to decide – not congregations or people to decide

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Maren in Oregon

It's the "standard of right and wrong" that gets the Right into trouble. Tony Perkins is a smooth advocate for a very difficult subject. You just can't put a happy face on the ultra-conservatism he represents.

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Judy

End of Christian America?!?!?! Are you kidding me? What about not hating gay people is then end of Christian America? How about the beginning of Christian America?

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Glen Up North

Lauren – since when has safety stopped Anderson from going to the scene of a story? Danger and a scene's volatility is what got him into journalism in the first place, eh? 😉

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I love the Salt and Light reference from Tony...we are called to be the salt and light...and I don't think, as a Christian, that we are losing the 'culture war'...We are learning to live as we are called to live...loving everyone and reaching out...Jesus dined with prostitutes and tax collectors in his day...do you think he would have cast aside homosexuals or taken them in and dined with them as friends?

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

You know lets forget about specific religion, it's annoying, why can't we just focus on the main points of all religion. BE A GOOD PERSON. You don't need to insert religion to the state, we all don't have the same religion and I don't want your religion pressed upon me.

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Barbara in Boston

I have always felt and still feel that the moral majority has been trying to undermine the democratic principles on which our great nation was founded. I am thrilled to hear that some of them are discouraged.

I am an optomist. I believe that tolerance and acceptance will ultimately triumph against repression and narrow-mindedness. May the conservative culture wars go down in rapid defeat.

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Sandra Robertson, Ga.

Jack, I know I'm going to have nightmares over the face of Phil "Spectre." He looks very scary to me. I hope Anderson has a funny animal shot to end this show.

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Maureen T, Canada

I totally agree with the Rev. Mel White!! God Bless him!!

April 13, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Sharon S

I want to say I am VERY PROUD of our Navy my Father served in OUR navy! GO US NAVY!

April 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Sabrina

@Mike in Syracuse- The President had to make the call the military can not act without the direction of the CIC. You should know this I thought you were in the military.

April 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I am sorry, but the world is not all Christian. Why do others have to abide by their beliefs and laws???

April 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Esma

I am all for abandoning fundamentalists issues of all religions, as fundamentalism breeds a lack of care and understanding, it's a complete departure from the true meaning of a religion.

April 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Miss J

Jack that certainly is the truth. The Spector mug shot
    will go into the hall of fame when it comes to mug shots
    of the rich and famous.

That's right! Remember Nick Nolte's and James Brown's? haha Spector's will be right up there.

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Dulcie - Denver

Ha ha ha ha! Jack – I'm with you. Scary!

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Sharon S

Good evening just got here have not idea what is going on? But will say I think the Pres. needs to do something about the pirate situation!
    I'm sure as always Mr Gergen gave good points! Jack you and I are late!

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Cherry B - Ms

@Jack Gray
    Agree with you completely about the mugshot nightmare. BTW, is Sammy friends with Bo yet?

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 casts and bloggers,

It's going to be a long haul off the western Indian coast to fight these roving pirates as the somali goverment take little accountablity in the hijacking, what President Obama did was great to save Captain. But more importantly, can he diplomatically negotiate to gain upper hand rather than giving away ransom or having navy SEAL shots-off next time it happens?

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

My response to the "Moral Majority/Minority" - you can't legislate morality. Teaching morals is the responsibility of parents, extended family, and our churches/synagogs/temples, etc.

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I can only pray that the conservative Evangelicals are in the moral minority. Although "immoral minority" seems more appropriate. And the increasing absence of Dobson is a welcome sign.

And thankfully, individuals are becoming more and more in tune with these peoples' agendas, and 'leaders' such as Perkins are being ignored by the majority.

This guy from Soulforce seems to have nearly hit it on the head. Hopefully my generation of Christians will return to the teachings of Jesus, and ignore the cries of these hypocritical Evangelical culture warriors.

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Cristy Kirssin

"loosing the culture wars" goes along with that Newsweek article last week...It's like an attack on Christianity, Impossible to loose, I agree it is a struggle and a journey because we live in an evil world.

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Jack Gray.

Phil Spector’s mugshot could really bring you a nightmare, but I think you are a tough guy. Sleep in your kimono and I think you will be fine. 🙂

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. BettyAnn, Nacogodches,TX

@jackgray~Phil Spector's mug was hilarious! What a freak!LOL

April 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I think that pertaining to all of this gay marriage, abortion, etc business, people need to learn to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!

April 13, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Renee

Wow! I thought the Catholic numbers were declining and Evangelicals numbers were increasing.

April 13, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Janine from PA.

I hope everyone had a nice Easter/Passover holiday.
    I think that Phil Specter photo could be a good anti drug tool. If that doesn't scare people straight nothing will.

April 13, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Maren in Oregon

"discouraging period" That's the best news I've heard in a while. Bigot ands social cause haters are simply not getting traction because no one wants to be like that anymore. It gets us nowhere as a nation to be so divisive.

April 13, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Michelle

I think we are in the midst of a realignment in
    America. Our society is changing that includes
    our attitudes about religion.

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Lauren--NY

Heh, hi, Jack. I don't blame you...seriously, was he making that face on purpose?

Thanks to Erica Hill for reporting on the heroic pilot–just the good news we need in times like these.

As much as I would like to see a piece on Somalia done by Anderson, I don't think it's safe for him to go there now.

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Dodie from Irvine, CA

There really needs to be separation between state and religion...

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Jack Gray

Eat something light also helps to not have nightmares. Was your dinner nice today? lol ...

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Cessy, Chicago

Its amazing what people would do to get attention–just like the polar diver.

I agree with you Anderson and Jack-Phil Spector's mug shot was SCARY! Yikes!

April 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Vanessa, TX

@Jack...me too..that was scary! I just hope thats not the Beat360 for tomorrow! PLEASE, don't let it be...lol

April 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Glen Up North

Jack, Phil Spector's looked that creepy for ages... He just usually wore sunglasses.

April 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Jerry Shulman

Why can't the navy set up convoys like during WWII to protect against pirates? Every nations' navy's could help. With all the nations working together, there could be daily convoys.

April 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  43. giselle

@David gergen: we have to recognize that somalia is in chaos and a military response is not always the best solution. intervention through aides are necessary. they should also get the leaders of the other african nations to step in. after all, they share the same backyard with somalia.

April 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  44. eric

Anderson,
    You are the man with the best reports. I had been waiting to find out how the navy seals carried out the operation and you hit the nail right on the heead. Nobody brings the news more better than you. More grace to your elbows. Good job for all the background and the systematic inforation. I would also want to know about the "black hawk incident"

April 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Zoee - Canada

Hahaha. Jack, I completely agree with you on that one!

April 13, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Michelle

Jack that certainly is the truth. The Spector mug shot
    will go into the hall of fame when it comes to mug shots
    of the rich and famous.

April 13, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Esma

Nothing could be so off kilter in my life that jumping in the water with polar bears sounds like the most logical step. What is wrong with this woman? Dr. Doolittle isn't real!

April 13, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. lynn

Lorraine: The spelling is Bo because Michelle Obama's dad was nicknamed "Diddley"...thus "Bo"...

I am glad the Obamas took their time to find the perfect dog for their family as he will be with them for many years.

Once aagin President Obama didn't cave into pressure!!!

April 13, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Dodie from Irvine, CA

could the woman have been pushed? It just does not make sense to jump into an area where larges carnivore is eating. She is lucky to be alive!

Good idea of having Anderson go to Somalia. It may be too dangerous for any American to go.

April 13, 2009 at 10:38 pm |