April 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/13/09

Tonight on AC360°, we take you inside the cockpit of a plane where a passenger is at the controls after the pilot died in flight. Some very tense moments. Air traffic control operators did an amazing job helping the passenger safely land the plane.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the daring landing and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nattada, Houston TX

What a sad story if it comes out that she really is the one who kill this little girl. I do not like the idea that you can not trust anyone because he or she may turn to be evil and hurt or kill you. I do not have a kid, but if I do, I would scare to death when I hear even women can hurt a girl like that.

April 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Huckabey is a very emotionally disturbed person (evidently). However, on one hand we (as a population) run around obsessed with minor indiscretions and on the other hand rely on blind faith– a dead child is what these kind of ill-directed beliefs get us.

April 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Renee

Thanks Frankie! Meet too! The ships should have on-board security including arms and gas. Also, who wants to go on a cruise right now? What's next for the terrorist/pirates? Cruise ships!

April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Lori from IL

Erica -

Looking forward to hearing your story on the hero "non-pilot" who landed the plane today. It's amazing what we are able to do when thrust into the middle of such a situation - we act rather than "think" - it's only after the crisis has been averted and we have time to "think" about it that we realize the severity of the situation.

April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  5. mickey

The Obama administration did their job by holding their cards to their vest and the Navy Seals executed in superb fashion–I wonder if there is anyway you can send a thank you card to the seals

April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Jennifer, GA

What's especially scary about the Sandra Cantu story is how the murderer was in a position of power over her, as a Sunday school teacher.
    I've known some creepy church leaders myself. It's an awful position to be put in, to think you can trust this person because everyone says you should.

April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Esma

If the pirates were like Johnny Depp, everything would be so much fun!

I agree with you! 🙂

April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Maren in Oregon

What an amazing, utterly disgusting, frightening story. Who can one poossibly tgrust anymore?

April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Genevieve M, TX

My best friend's mother loves me as a her own and my mother loves my best friend as her own child. I have known my friend since preschool and I just cannot imagine her mother wanting to kill me?!?! It just seems like it is impossible.

April 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Maureen T, Canada

Once again I will say the Obamas are every day people! I love them!

April 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

OMG, I just love President Obama.

April 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Mike Syracuse, NY

Obama needs to follow the example of President Jefferson. When pirates attacked our ships 200 years ago he sent the Navy and wiped them out. Other nations were happy to just pay ransom; Jefferson solved the problem.

April 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Such a sad story...and its even more disturbing that she was a Sunday School teacher...I know we don't know the whole story but still...its scary!

April 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  14. BettyAnn, Nacogodches,TX

The polar diver was mentally challenged!

15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    I heard too, That is so tradegy for pilot dies on the plane..... How are they deal or control the plane? Are they ok? My heart goes to pilot's family........ was he have heart attack?

16. Anna

I'm glad that Captain Phillips was rescued; thank God he wasn't killed.

Anna, Toronto, ON

17. Maria

The passenger is hero

18. Miss J

I want to know what that lady's motive was. That Melissa Huckaby.

April 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

no words to express such event!

20. Cristy Kirssin

I hope she will be judged justly

21. Dodie from Irvine, CA

My heart goes out to the child's family. How sad

22. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

can't understand how a sunday school teacher could kill a child! I'm so perplexed how there could be such an act coming from a person that was so trusted.

Such a shame.... *scoffs*

23. Anthonia-california

When i first heard about the news of sandra cantu, i was hoping that she would be found alive. But when i heard the devasting news, it was very distrubing because the killer was a sunday school teacher, just very hard to believe...

24. Cherry B - Ms

@Jo Ann, Ohio
    I agree completely. At this point in time, it would be good to learn more about this country and what, if anything, has changed over the yrs. Would make a great CNN Presents.

25. Atlanta

How can the mother of a small child murder her own child's friend??? This is horrific!

26. Esma

I will (hopefully) never understand what compels someone to rape and murder a child...if this monster did this, I hope she dies a horrible, horrible death.

April 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  27. vanessa from silver spring, MD

This Sunday School teacher story is crazy.

April 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. mickey

with respect to the Seals accuracy–A plus
    I think of THE MOVIE the untouchables –when Kevin Costner ask Garcia in that train station if he has his target

April 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Cristy Kirssin

Melissa Huckabye looks a little evil to me.

April 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This murderess deserves NO mercy.

April 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

@ KC-exellent remark! We really should study the culture of ANY country that we are even thinking of disciplining....knowledge of Iraqui culture and intelligent response the knowledge, would have been VERY helpful Befoe we went to war!

Anderson & David G.

Thank you for your disuccsion of the complexity of Somalia today.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Maureen T, Canada

I'm saddened that young girl was allegedly killed by that Sunday School teacher. I mean who can you trust if you can't trust a Sunday School teacher who happens to live near you and who's daughter was friends with you? I will give my daughter an extra hug tonight.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Dodie from Irvine, CA

This is a very sad situation with the murder and rape of a little 8 year old girl.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ David, Indiana

I agree that Somalia has many problems and needs help. But these problems can not be reason for the pirates kidnapped people.

They can not threaten to kill people who are working and the people living with this fear.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Marteen, Reno NV

David Gergen you rock!

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Vanessa, TX

Erica, we heard some clips on how that passenger landed the plane..incredible! so calm. Good job to that man!

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Dave

I really feel sorry for sailors of the next ships that get taken by pirates. The number of Americans that are going to get hung and killed on these ships will make plenty of headlines from now on. The knee jerk reaction by the Navy to just shoot first and deal with the consequences later will have great consequences for ship crews.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Don, WA

@David Gergen – what do I think we should do about the pirate nest – exactly what we just did. I think the president delegated well here – he took the advice of proffessional specialists, weighed it out, and made a decision in rhythm with the specialists. It was'nt a "Wanted" poster – it was patience, thought, and weighing out options presented by military and agencies. The president listens.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. wade

Hi Anderson, Wonderful news about Captain Phillips, As a mariner myself prior to my disability, I applaud the Captain for putting his vessel,crew, and cargo in front of his own safety! It was a great Easter gift to me to wake this morning to find that Navy Seals ended the stand-off. The general Public does not realize what life at sea really is.It,s I guess like a priest is called to the church, a Mariner is called to the sea. Being that two thirds of the earth is covered with water and provides transportation for goods through out the world, I think it is very important to provide the people that are cut out and capable of this type of life to find a way to protect shipping lanes and mariners from threats such as this.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Cherry B - Ms

Love the footage of the Obamas at the Easter egg hunt. Something to see Michelle O hooping and hollerin up there on the balcony. Don't recall any of our first ladies doing that before. And when the President read to the kids, that was a Kodak moment! What a joy to see the first family interact with everyone.

April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Sandra Robertson, Ga.

Anderson, It breaks my heart when I hear the stories of the brutal murders of innocent children, such as little Sandra Cantu. This woman who killed Sandra is the most evil and I pray she never has the opportunity to touch another child.

April 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Yes Erica... sometimes we just have to just do it and think of it later.

April 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Michelle

The first family looked like they were having a lot of fun at today's
    easter egg roll. I heard it was a record-breaker for attendance.

April 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It was the call that had to be call.

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening David Gergen. Glad to see you here today. Always lovely to hear your thought. I was wonder if his decision to allow Navy to shoot pirates affect his international relationship with Samalia or other countries.

I love Mr. and Mrs. President when they show their father and mother side to the public. Such a cute and warm family.

Was the first Erica up there actually you, Anderson? 😀

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Marteen, Reno NV

Some folks might say that the president didn't act fast enough or for lack of giving a statements from the White House too soon. The man was trying to make an informed decision. He gave to order to kill someone so give him a break. He did the right thing, acted swifty and the situation was resolved. Talk about sending a message... President Obama and the Navy – Kidos to you

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

The story of that little girl is truly devastating. Every time I see that surveillance video of her skipping along it breaks my heart.

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I wish I were apart of the Obama family, they probably wouldn't drive me mad like my own. Love Obama's sense of humour!

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Genevieve M, TX

The woman killing her daughter's best friend is both baffling and horrifying. It is hard to believe an adult could kill a child, much less kill a child he/she knows!

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Rikki, Fargo, ND

David Gergen never ceases to amaze me...A politcal genius! I completely agree...President Obama cannot just leave this here, he has to do something more about the pirates. And I do like the way the President dealt with this situation...

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 pm |