April 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/13/09

Tonight on AC360°, we take you inside the cockpit of a plane where a passenger is at the controls after the pilot died in flight. Some very tense moments. Air traffic control operators did an amazing job helping the passenger safely land the plane.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the daring landing and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I am so happy to see Captain Phillips survived. He is a very strong person. Great Story! Wonderful Ending!

April 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Michelle

The rescue of Capt. Phillips is amazing.
    The seals are definitely the best.

April 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  3. Cherry B - Ms

Can't wait for the dog! Spent my entire life working with animals and love a good pup story. Wonder if Bo knows how famous he already is.

April 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  4. jacqueline, ny

I hope everyone had a spiritually uplifting blessed weekend.

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. "An extremely joyful experience to hear his voice..." Yes, I agree w that, I'm extemely happy and relieved for Capt. Phillips and his wife and family. A very difficult situation as Kaj Larsen says, sensitive and dangerous.

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Maureen, Georgia

Like everyone else I'm glad to see Captain Phillips rescued unharmed. Hello Anderson, Erica & all bloggers.

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It's a little bit offensive to announce the story of the murdered little girl with the WH dog don't you think?

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Genevieve M, TX

I am glad that the pirates were shot dead, because it sends a message that we will not tolerate people hijacking our country's ships!

I have no sympathy for people who get killed while committing any crime, esp if the perpetrators are threatening their victims' lives.

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Maria

Happy evening Anderson, Ac360 crew and bloggers

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Cristy Kirssin

I wonder what Sasha and Milia will name it....

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Somali pirates are given free rein in a country with no stable government for two decades. Somalia is ruled by tribal leaders. NATO and the U.S. Navy say they can’t cover everywhere, and American officials are urging ships to buy private security.

I understand the tankers do not want a firefight due to the potential explosion of the tanker if fired upon. Therefore, the pirates MUST be stopped long before the tankers or ships can be fired upon.

I recommend all tankers in that area are supplied with a helicopter and paid sharp shooters. I also see no reason why we can not use our satellites to find these pirates.

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  12. ericacnn

good evening everyone

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Cristy Kirssin

That dog is soooo cute!!!

April 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  14. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson! Hope you had a great weekend!...What the U.S. Navy Seals did was outstanding! I tip my hat to those individuals!

April 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Great news about Captain Phillips! I am so happy for him and his family!

A true hero and a wonderful human being!

April 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC360 Team, and all bloggers.
    Hope everyone had a nice weekend and good rest.

I am so happy when I heard on Sunday that Captain Phillips was rescued. Our preyers were indeed answers. The Navy snipers did an incredible job.

I may be the only one to this, however. I was thinking that it would be a happier ending without the death of these particular 3 pirates. I do not think they were evil because our Captain was rescued without even one bruise. They could have hurt him when he tried to escape, otherwise. They were so young, only 16-17 years old. I believe if they have another choices to live, they would not choose to be a pirate.

April 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

So, the pirate we have captured - will he be made to "walk the plank?"

April 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Miss J

Remember the presidential campaign last year? Who woulda thought piracy would have come up as a huge issue for the Obama administration?

April 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Margaret in OH

Great work by the Navy Seals for the rescue of Captain Phillips- and also nice job by President Obama for making a calm effective decision amidst the turmoil and pressure. I am so glad that the Captain is safe.

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I know his family and friends are so happy for Navy Seals, She and her kids sound relief for him, I hope captain Richard Phillips will come soon! I like to say thank you Pres. Obama and others to rescued captain Phillips! That's great news!

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Maren in Oregon

Hello Anderson, Erica and the whole AC360 Team!

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Esma

Props to the Navy SEALs, that is amazing!!!

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Don, WA

GO NAVY
    And salute to the steadfast skipper.

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all my fellow evening conversationalists! Hope you all had a good weekend!

I was so excited to hear of the Captain's safe rescue! Many prayers have been answered with that one! 🙂

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Lori from IL

Three cheers to the Navy Seals!!!

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good evening Anderson and everyone else

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Anthonia-California

Heeey Yall! Happy Monday 🙂

Thank God that captain is safe and is in good care :]

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, et al & fellow bloggers!

What an Easter Sunday! GO NAVY!

April 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. vanessa from silver spring, MD

So glad that Capt Phillips made it out safe.

April 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Cristy Kirssin

Can they fix the webcam? It is not focused on the anchor desk!

April 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Cherry B - Ms

Hi Anderson, Erica, David G, and all great bloggers. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and Easter. What a great ending to the pirate nightmare. Sorry anyone had to be killed, but what else could they do.

April 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Miss J

pretty amazing story

April 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Maren in Oregon

For five days in a floting toilet bowl, no food, no water, horrors we will never know about – he looks really good.

April 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

Hello Anderson, Erica, Jack, 360 Team and Fellow Bloggers!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Was so happy to learn yesterday that Captain Phillips was rescued.

April 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. jacqueline, ny

Couldn't we just them money to save the captain, and deal with the pirates after the exchange.

April 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone. The captain was rescued that good news.

April 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and bloggers!

Thrilled to see the Captain has returned safely to his family, although dismayed to see that the situation did not end with no violence.

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Cessy, Chicago

Hello! everyone and good evening 🙂

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Maren in Oregon

When they say "sharp shooters" they are totally not kidding! Wow!

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Vanessa, TX

Hiya Anderson, Erica, my smartees...good evening to all!
    I was soo glad & happy that Capt Phillips is safe..as well as the crew..wheeww 🙂

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

The government acted very well, but must take the consequences and, in some way, not let the crew’s own luck.

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Mike Syracuse, NY

Wow, incredible shots!

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

amazing how the snipers got the pirates, but then again they are snipers....I wish I could have extensive skill to seek out like that.

April 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Maren in Oregon

What a fabulous end to this horrific episode in maritime madness.

April 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

hallo bloggers! Hallo Anderson, Erica and because he is so special, a special Guten Nachte to Jack Gray!
    And that airplane story...totally makes me think of the movie....Airplane! but not comedic of course.
    🙂

April 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, and my friend twitter/Facebook bloggers!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!!
    Happy Monday!

Last night, there was breaking news, I am so happy for Navy Seals rescued Captain Richard Phillips, he is great man I see!!! I am glad he freed from Pirates!!!!!! my prayers answer at last! That's relief to hear!

April 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening.

April 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sleepless in Germany
    Hope you had enjoy your easter weekend and find time to rest.
    But now looking for what the new week will bring us.A big problem for all wold members will be the pirate problem in somalia area.The wold have to work together and have to stopp this gangster,murders.
    What a big eastern gift for the Obama girls,what a lovley little dog in the White house.

April 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Evening, Anderson Cooper!
    Nice to see you!

Hi bloggers and friends of Twitter and Facebook!

In retaliation to attacks, pirates say they will kill all American and French Hostage. This disorder is unacceptable.

April 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Esma

Hey everyone: Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, all at AC360, the Tribe, and all the bloggers!
    I'm so thrilled about Captain Phillips' rescue. It's nice that Captain Sully has someone to hang out with now 😉

April 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |