April 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/08/09

Tonight, we're trying something new. It's your first chance to text 360°. Do you think same-sex marriage is gaining momentum? Vermont has become the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage.  The state legislature voted Tuesday to override the governor's veto of a bill on the issue. CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin will answer your questions. Text us your name, location and question to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage debate and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Sanjay's report sounds very intriguing. Still hurts to think about her untimely death though....:(

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Anthonia-California

I can't wait until i see the segment on Natasha Richardson last final moments tomorrow.
    I really want to see what really happened in full details

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

We're worried about gay marriage in this country and then (ironically) we have "Levi" talking about the grossly dysfunctional family of a former VP candidate. How messed-up are too many people in this country?

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am very much looking forward to Sanjay Gupta's story tomorrow...

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Emma

Wow, is Sanjay floating above the resort?

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Barbara in Boston

Cristy – civil unions are not at all the same as marriage. First, the idea of relegating second class status to gayus and lesbians is abhorrent to me. Second, civil unions are not as legally binding, may not protect the partner in the event of illness or death. And do civil unions allow for the parent to gain full custody of children if one parent dies?

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Dan Plesoianu

The time has come for society to accept the fact that gay couples need a solution.
    Why isn't it possible to create a "Civil Unon" type of relationship for gay couples, at a federal and state level, and make everybody happy, once and for good ??!!

April 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Esma

Levi...will this never end?!?! He's starting to remind me of Joe the Plumber! These people need to stop talking, I'm losing IQ points!

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Margaret in OH

I think people see Gay marraige as a threat to their way of life and belief system I am not saying it is a right way of looking at things but I think that is it. Do all of the states recognize civil unions?

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Michelle

The Richardson story always struck me
    as odd. I do not think we will ever know
    the whole story.

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Maureen T, Canada

Levi has had his 15 minutes. Enough already! Does Kevin Federline sound familiar!?

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  12. dan

I live in Vermont, and i can tell you that many young people arent so much against what our legislature has done as they are upset that it takes priority over signifigant economic issues that should be the focus of all our efforts. The law is supported but the timing and ranking of importance is not gaining anyone any momentum.

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Ryan Ward

Why do people get to take other people's rights away – isn't the US system based on the will of the majority without harming the rights of the minority?

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Kyle, Johnstown

I'm bisexual and also a very devout Catholic. I support same-sex marriages. If the youth controlled the world, we would have what we wanted. This is going to be our country. If we don't get it now, we will get it in the future.

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Johnny, KY

@ Cristy Kirssin:

Sorry to surprise you but, "separate but equal" just doesn't fly anymore.

April 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It worries me how many people still fall for the 'Get rich quick' schemes...if it sounds too good to be true....Oprah while a very charitable person is not giving away millions of dollars!

April 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. jen

The opposition to gay marriage gets harder and harder for me to stomach listening to. I try to respect their right to an opinion, but increasingly it is clear their argument is just bigotry and b.s. I find it hard to believe they actually believe some of the excuses they are using.

April 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Cristy Kirssin

Good Night Guys! Happy Passover!

April 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Karen Grube

Jeffrey didn't include the fact that opposition to gay marriage also breaks down on racial and cultural lines. Blacks, Latinos in particular voted in even greater numbers by percentage than Whites in California to ban gay marriage. So, it's not just an 'age' issue. With all this garbage going on in the states, I think we need a Federal Marriage Protection law to support what even you show is the will of the people to clearly define marriage as being between one man and one woman.

April 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

Johnny, KY:
    that's was funny! 🙂

April 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Renee

Anderson, if you are going to cover the gay marriage issue would you advise the viewers what other countries recognize gay marriage? Are there any? Does anyone on the blog know?

April 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Morning Anu

April 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Kathy

Why shouldn't partners in life be able to reap the same benefits as a heterosexual couple...it should gain momemtum

April 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Nattada, Houston TX

I am happy for gay people that more and more state goes for same sex married. I hope that people look more at the right as a person to get married to the one you love than the old believe that against it. I totally understand why younger people vote more for same sex married. The world is slowly changed.

April 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Mike Syracuse, NY

The pirates are typically done under control of Somali warlords. The ones conducting the attacks no doubt get something, but the big bucks go to warlords who live very well. None of it trickles down to the masses of starving people. I don't think they practice Reagonomics.

April 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Regarding same sex marriages.. I certainly wish California citizens would be less judgmental of others' life style.

April 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Hindiyo

as a somalian, it scares me to think of my family members and the rest innocent somalians who are already in life struggle to suffer because of those pirates. i'm praying for them and the crews' and every innocent person involved. and i'm hoping a solution would be found soon to end this troubling situation.

April 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Crystal

I agree with Jo Ann. I can't believe people would be so opposed to two people showing their commitment to one another. Doesn't the Bible teach us not to judge or hate?

April 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Gay Marriage: It doesn’t matter what people “want,” we’re talking about human rights, civil rights, and constitutional rights–however you want to frame it.

This is religion inserting itself into our Constitution. Thats’ scary.

April 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Maren in Oregon

The Full Faith and Credit Act between states should protect couples marriage in a state which reconizes gay mariage – in a state which does not yet do so.

April 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Lynne S

CNN is wrong! Connecticut was the first state to OK gay marriage via the legislature, not Vermont!

April 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Esma

That's fine, Oprah can give me $500k with no hard feelings.

April 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Johnny, KY

Wow! That woman's sign sums it all up: "5000 years IS'NT enough"

Grammar. Study yourself some!

April 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Meghan-also a Biblical marrige would include men having multiple wives. See: Old Testament

April 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Anu, China

Same sex marriages should be allowed as it is two people's personal decision that does not hurt others.

Why should voting decide this? The idea of a republic versus a direct democracy was to not let mob rule take over rule of law. Constitution is there to protect citizens from hoarding together and over ruling others' rights.

April 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. anja

i hope everyone will understand that everyone deserve to be happy, no matter if is gay or not!

April 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. dawnelle

when are these people going to stop trying to demonize everyone who doesn't think, look and live like they do. when will we ever learn the lesson here. God made all of us. our forefathers fought a war for our freedom (although they left out some important groups) and it took us forever to get that right. enough already. let these people live their lives and focus your efforts on REAL BAD GUYS, like terrorists, child molesters, bigots and such

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  38. Zoee - Canada

If the couple is happy and in love what does it matter if they are a heterosexual couple or a homosexual couple?

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Don, WA

These pirates seem like a pod of killer whales organizing on a large grey whale – the grey whale would do well to obtain some teeth of it's own.

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Jeffery Toobin is so right. I'm a young person and I completely support it!

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Cristy Kirssin

Hey Anderson,

I don't think same sex marriage is a good idea. It is not what God Intended. Why can't they be happy with civil unions? It is a similar idea.

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  42. starr formerly known as vincent

OMG! I know that come people have trouble coming to terms with "Equal Right for All", but this is rediculous!

Gay people are people too! They pay taxes and participate in ALL areas of American life. It is about time, they are able to receive
    Federal benefits (like SSI), like any other married couple.

I hope with all of my heart that these ignorant (apparently right wing) persons will NOT stop the momentum of this time!

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Jessica - Elon U.

it would be interesting to see what divorce rates are like within same-sex marriages.

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. petra (the czech chick)

$1.5 million on an add for commercial against same sex marriage...???? Really... Why is that still an issue, it's 2009 shouldn't we move on and let the gays marry...??? Hopefully "the tie" is turning... Thank you...

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Dulcie - Denver

I honestly don't understand what's so *scarey* about same sex marriage. Scarey? Really? How so?

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Fay - California

It is beyond my understanding why some people believe that gay marriage is such a threat to "traditional marriage" – why is it so difficult for people to live and let live? Traditional marriage has been in trouble for years and its problems have NOTHING to do with same sex couples wanting to marry.

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Isabel

Erica or Anderson,

What is the difference (in practice) between the States that have the same-sex marriage and the States that recognize the civil unions and grant some rights similar to heterosexual couples?

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. laura

Protect marriage–What a joke! Look at the divorce rate! People who are "allowed" to marry don't take it as serious as it once was.

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I imagine that North Dakota, being one of (if not the) most conservative states will be last on the list to legalize same-sex marriage...

April 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I'm happy the legislatures voted for the same sex marriage. I can't understand how guys can watch two girls making out and like it, but if they see the two same girls getting married they are offended.....What?

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |