April 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/08/09

Tonight, we're trying something new. It's your first chance to text 360°. Do you think same-sex marriage is gaining momentum? Vermont has become the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage.  The state legislature voted Tuesday to override the governor's veto of a bill on the issue. CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin will answer your questions. Text us your name, location and question to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage debate and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Miss J

I think the gay rights activists are very strong.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Jennifer - Michigan

The pirates can camoflage themselves as a harmless fishing boat – then make their attack very quickly, catching these cargo ships off-guard.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The people in Vermont have spoken, let it stand!

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Johnny, KY

How does a marriage do ANYTHING to anyone if it's not theirs? Goodness. Gays and lesbians are good, beautiful people. Not scary in the least.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Rafael Bronx,NY

I believe that gay marriage should just be legalize in all 50 states. Is this a free country? Yes, than why gay people don't have the right and freedom to get marry as heterosexual couples.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Yeah, civil rights is a "gathering storm." What a bunch of biggots, plain and simple. It's OK for their Constituional Rights to be respected but not mine.

It doesn't matter what people "want," we're talking about human rights, civil rights, and constitutional rights–however you want to frame it.

This is religion inserting itself into our Constitution. Thats' scary.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Michelle

I don't get it. How is same-sex marriage at threat to
    marriage? People will still get married regardless of
    what is happening in other peoples lives.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Maren in Oregon

Homophobia is just the last cry of very stupid intolerant types seeing they've lost the hearts and minds of the people, and turing to scare tacics to blunt their sense of failure. Good riddence to them – and let it be sooner rather than later!

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Esma

What a demeaning and outrageous ad! I thought this was 2009 AD.

April 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Miss J

Oh ok – this "National Organization for Marriage" is like "Focus on the Family" right?

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

It's sad to see extremists moving into countries that are "failed states" - but the bigger question in my mind is why does the U.S. become involved in helping "over throw" governments and then just leave?

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Isabel

@ Bea

Of all the stories I have heard about deaths here, this is the worst and saddest.
    This was not a family – was missing something!

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Maureen T, Canada

With respect to same sex marriage, live and let live! Those scare tactics are nonsense!! Life is too short for those who don't understand should keep their ignorance to themselves.

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Monica M. Williams

I have no tolerance for the pirating story; street thugs in water. It’s a shame our miltary will have to “dirty themselves” in order to put this issue to rest. I hope the captain and all those on board come out of this safely.

Secondly, I have no tolerance for people who bad mouth their ex’s. It’s over Levi. No one cares about his silly Alaskan Palin Place Saga. Spare me the drama. : )

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Linda

We need to shoot those idiot hijackers...sometimes we need NOT to follow the law...fight fire with fire

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Dulcie – "There’s supposed to be a separation of church and state, so that argument holds no water."

So I guess murder is OK too since 'thou shalt not kill' is in the bible too? Full civil rights can be accomplished with civil unions without calling it marriage.

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Meghan in Venice, CA

I am so tired of people saying they want to defend marriage as it is defined "in the Bible." Really? In that case, I look forward to my father trading me away as a wife to whomever can offer him the most cattle in exchange for me. What fun.

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If they want to protect marriage they better attack divorce first.

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. ericacnn

@Lance – the problem in this area is that it is so vast, it is difficult to monitor every bit of these waters. this is also the fastest route for shipping in the area. the southern route around the horn of africa is much longer, slower and more costly.

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Carly

How much is the Marriage group paying to prevent divorce?

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Asefa

same-sex marriage ok'd? "Marriage" need to be re-difined first!

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Dulcie – You're right, the argument hold's no water whatsoever. But as is the way with such religious activists, their approach to the law is usually very hypocritical.

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Gary

No bias in this report on gay marriage. "Dark and Scary"??

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Same sex marriage! Dark and Scary? that's because those people are IGNORANT.

April 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why don't those hatemongers channel their energies somewhere else?

April 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Nattada, Houston TX

The more I learn about the mind of a killer, the more I could not believe it. Too bad we could not catch that before the shooting happened. And I think we may never be able to do so.

April 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

Abdulah:
    my best friend is also Somali. She says the same thing and it makes total sense. Here's my question: with all the millions of dollars the pirates have already received, have they ever helped their own people by buying food? Or do they buy more weapons and booze?

April 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Maren in Oregon

This is not one of the "quiet ones". This is a loud, angry, scary guy actively declaring himself and his predelictions. I have to say, knowing others like him are out there – plotting – that the collapse of society is always just within someoe's grasp. Let's hope it continues to be us, and not people like Mr. Poblouski.

April 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. anja

So many people are armed and the danger is all over! On the top of that, it is scary when someone act on the name of God !

April 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Debbie Perez

I have gay members in my family so perhaps I am being biased when I say that people in general need to live and let live. It may sound so vague and simple but really, why do so many anti gay people care what gay people do? There are so many other worth while causes for people to be up in arms about right now rather than sticking their noses into the personal lives of others. It is sad that the government is even involved.

April 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Fay - California

There are too many unstable people with access to guns in this country and too many innocent people getting caught in the crossfire because of it.

April 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Emma

@Abdulah, with all due respect, I doubt the pirate attacks are done out of hunger....they're attacking out of greed.

April 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Michelle

Levi will get his own reality show on VH 1.

April 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Isabel

of course, Anderson!

Unbelievable!

April 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

I know it was a mistake for 911 not to have notified the officers of the weapons...BUT, i think that it was a very bad mistake!

I hope their (and ALL 911's) will be more detailed in the future!

April 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Cnn reaches across oceans and rough pirate waters to bring us te latest news it stands to reason why it's the most trusted name in news.

April 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Everyone needs to find hope, don't go shooting people because our economy sucks. Priorities have gone down, those are more valuable than money.

April 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Esma

So he fears a breakdown in social order and therefore causes it. This is one crazy kid...lots of them on the show tonight...is it the full moon?

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Terry, TX

Regarding Pirates…..why are these ships not being escorted ….and these Muslim pirates are not blown out of the water. We managed to escort troops across the Atlantic Ocean during WWII….and we can’t escort American ships in a 400 mile space. That’s bull….Obama should authorize it and covert plans should be set to get these Muslims.

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Carly

Joe – Bethesda I agree. Why must I as a pastor be required to sign a marriage license? I'm not employed by the county!!

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Lori from IL

@Saundra - I, too, am a big West Wing fan and have the DVD set. But, I'm sure his favorite shows are current - and I'm guessing Entourage is on the list given the connection with Rahm's brother.

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Peter and Nic for telling us that information ship hijacked.... They are great!

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I think it's important to understand how these supremacists get brainwashed. It's not that different than how people succumb to religious viewpoints. That's why religion is so dangerous to the well-being of the world. After all, this supremacy is based on hatred of a particular religious group.

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Nate

It is my hope that the US Navy employees the Navy Seal Sharp Sooters to eliminate these ocean slugs. Time to send a message to these lawless SOB's.

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Anthonia-California

Ohman, its such a sad story to watch and hear about people killing Police Officers..Its such an outrange because these Officers are here to protect us, but this is the way we treat them...? Its just not right..

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. niwat, Chicago, IL

@ Randy, SIlver Spring, MD @ I was wondering the similar things, cuss any vessel terrorisms is a way to leverage a trade not limited in money wire transfer.

April 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Dulcie - Denver

An 'Army of marriage activists'? Geez. I'd really be interested to hear some rational reason for denying marriage to gay. By 'rational', I mean something other than 'the Bible says so'. There's supposed to be a separation of church and state, so that argument holds no water.

April 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Gary

Why would a gay person want to engage in an institution created by religious doctrine and philosophy and considers their lifestyle to be an abomination?

April 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Bea

Hi folks, a little late. What is it with these shooters who live with their mothers? Anyway, another example of the need for attention to mental health issues.

April 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Jessica - Elon U.

this cop killer story makes me sick to my stomach. there is no excuse for that dispatcher to not make the officers aware of the obvious threat.

April 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |