April 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/08/09

Tonight, we're trying something new. It's your first chance to text 360°. Do you think same-sex marriage is gaining momentum? Vermont has become the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage.  The state legislature voted Tuesday to override the governor's veto of a bill on the issue. CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin will answer your questions. Text us your name, location and question to 94553.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage debate and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Esma

I think Obama watches CNN. All day. Just like the rest of us. 😉

April 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Ann

This country was founded on specific principles........ one of these is the right to the pursuit of happiness...................in this case---marriage. But I think the main reason for the push in "legal" marriage is so that "partners" can share marital benefits that are only afforded with that "piece of paper." With over 50% of broken marriages........I quander its value for anything else.

April 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Randy, Silver Spring, Md

Hey everyone – What does the Somali government have to say about all these piarate attacks and does anyone know to where these $millions are being funneled?

April 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Rick

Anderson: The international community must take the fight to the pirates and their strongholds. In addition, international commercial ships crews should be trained and provided arms to defend themseives. Enough is enough. Take the fight to the pirates now!

April 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  5. RJ

Acceptance of and support for same sex marriage is gaining momentum. It's palpable. And it's about time that all of us have the same civil rights. Clearly, the foolish concern that same sex marriage is a threat to "traditional marriage" is based in fear and ignorance and is owned largely by older generations and not shared by those under 30. It's disappointing to me. One would think that as people grow older and prepare to face their "maker," they would be more loving and accepting of others and less hate-filled. Love transcends gender and we should appreciate, respect and support it always.

April 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  6. David Hensley

These ships should string razor wire around the outside of the deck and that would be a very good deterrent against those half naked pirates climbing aboard!

April 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, I didn't hear that, but you might be right. I am surprised that they haven't surrendered yet! Ha!

April 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  8. susan

I think you are going to find that the Maersk Alabama is carrying US government cargo. This ship is part of the Maritime Security Program administered by US Maritime Administration. Foreign shipping companies provide foreign vessels, agree to reflag to US and employ US crews. In exchange they have priority to move US DOD/US Govt cargo and receive an annual subsidy.

April 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Ken in NC

These guys were not testing to see how Obama would respond. They were doing this before the election. They do it for a living in between fishing.

April 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. amy, ontario

josh, it's not about money. it's people's lives here. what if it were a member of your family? would you not want them to do what they could to save them?

April 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Annie, Tampa FL

Welcome back Anderson! Big Hello to Erica, the girl with the beautiful smile.
    Al quaida operatives in UK.... How interesting is that. Let's hear all those details, what is the UK government doing about it?

April 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Obama may like Entourage, but I think he should watch Strangers With Candy....

April 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Levi Johnson is scummy for kissing and telling all family secrets please don't give him more air time please.

April 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Michelle

Wow. That is an incredible story about the
    terrorists arrest in Great Britain.I can not
    believe the list was not in a briefcase.

April 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Josh – "Maybe a few people die." Think you just answered your own question. If not, I think I would be terrified to have you as a boss need I ever take to the high seas on business. 😉

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Lori... LOL The story that keeps on giving... too cute

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

Jo Ann, Mike:
    are you guys expecting a war to start over a single kidnapped person?

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Wow, he definitely dropped the ball on that one. A bit irresponsible of him to keep that page where it could easily be decoded, for lack of a better word.

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad terrorists arrest by police in England..... good job for them.

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Kathy, Chicago

They are lucky that nothing happened while all of the world leaders were in town.

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Oooooops What a blunder! Why is he carrying this type of papers not enclosed in something!!!

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

I read today that the hostages are usually well treated because the kidnappers want to receive the ransom.

But it is absurd that things happen and the crew is at the mercy of their own fate.

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Esma

I'm really glad they caught this group of crazy people, preemptively or not. Good on you, England!!!

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Christine

My drivers pick-up Maersk containers everyday at the pier in Jersey. I just don't think it would be a good idea to have men with loaded guns on container ships or tanker ships. How could we know for sure who the men are?

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Rick, this Bainbridge is not the same ship as the nuclear powered cruiser in the 1960's

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I agree with the act of two same sex couples loving each other it's healthy .i respect thier love and comittment

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Maren in Oregon

The UK has been a hot bed for radical islamic elements, plannig terrorist attacks. Remem ber the ring of doctors about 2 years ago?

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

really creepy how the documents were sought out in a photo.....

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Audra

Great show Anderson!

I am so proud of the people of Conn, Mass Vt and IA. The rest of the state needs to follow suit. There is no harm to allowing people to marry and express their love for one another. Have we forgotten that only a few hundred years ago this country was founded on the separation of church and state? The time for far right wing thinking is over.

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Monica

How is it possible that commercial ships carrying millions of dollars in cargo, don't have security agents and go unarmed?

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

They are walking into trap for these pirates to hold hostage and they don't have atrms this is unheard of right ?

April 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Jesse

rite now you are talking about the Somalian (if that's how u spell it) Pirates. If I was one of those captains that had to sail around Somalia, I would ask for a couple of machine guns on the deck of my boat! If any pirates got near me and my crew, they would sink! Just common sense! FIGHT BACK!

April 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  33. David

You need a multi-pronged solution implemented in paralell to solve the Somali piracy problem:

1- Multi-lateral effort to create stability and a central government in Somalia
    2- Multi-national effort to break the logistics and execution capability of the pirates while protecting the shipping lines

This costs money and requires a lot of political will but is cheaper than not doing it.

April 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Andrew

These companies need to acquire heavily armed private security. 5 well trained men on these vessels can put a big dent in the number of pirates out there. Even the pirates are smart enough to stop when there is a chance they could be blown out of the water. I am sure this would be cheaper than paying ransom and raising the prices of the goods to cover it.

April 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Bryan

Why don't these ships off the coast of Somalia arm themselves with security and fight back? Seems it would be easy to sink those little skiffs on aproach! Obviously it would be self defense......just shoot the pirates and sink the mother ships!

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC360 team, Panel members, and all bloggers.

The pirate situation is scary. Hope all the crew is safe and released soon.

The pirate ship is so small. When I think of pirate taking a ship, I think of the big ship with arms like in the movie. How did they take over the so big ship with that tiny boat and just 4 people? I do not quite understand.

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Jennifer Wildwood, NJ

Rafael, I have worked on a ship from the same company as the Alabama. Its parent company is a Danish company and it vehemently against war, so they do not allow guns on their ships. Some ships do usually carry one gun in the Captain's cabin (room) just in case, but with long periods a sea you can never really trust people with weapons. I have seen men go after others with fire axes.

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

Oh no ... the Palins and Levi Johnston ... the story that just keeps on giving!

Interesting reporting on the pirate ships - hard to believe this is happening in 2009!

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Entourage is Obama's tv fave .

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Jo Ann, Hillary Clinton made a statement that they are 'gravely concerned'. I'm sure that terrifies the pirates.

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

So which of our allies is coming to our rescue?
    Alabama.

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  42. jennyb

The President's favorit show is Entourage. Emanuel's brother is an agent in Hollywood, and its said that Ari is based on him.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Johnny, KY

I'm so pleased with the recent same-sex marriage rulings. I've already been invited by dear friends to attend their ceremony!
    I read an analysis that said my state, Kentucky, would allow same-sex marriage by 2020. I work with the Fairness Campaign here and only hope we can beat that goal.
    There's a great bunch of people working very hard to improve the rights of gays and lesbians in Kentucky. It's been a tough go of things so far, but hearing about progress in other states makes it all worth it.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The captain is being held by these pirates they must rescue him they are using him as leverage in the war against Obama 's admoinistarion.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Isabel

@ Erica Hill

I can’t send by my mobile. Nevertheless, I think a great novelty we can send SMS. 🙂

I ask you to keep the two fronts to viewers (web and SMS) for all matters.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

@Isabel Yes I wonder about how the situation in Somalia is conducive to piracy and an "uptick" in piracy as Kaj Larsen is saying.

Does seem like there shld be a continuous presence to protect shipping in and out of the Gulf of Aden and far from shore in the Indian ocean off the coast of Somalia.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. LorenaR

Re same sex marriage. so many states now show themselves to be more enlightened than california. i have just begun to read this week's newsweek. their lead article says we (in the 21st)century are now post-christian, just as we are post-racial with the new presidency. Same sex marriage may be very hard for fundamentalist christians to accept. it is such a paradigm change. but whether we accept it or not, it is here, and we must not turn it into an insidious threat but rather a blueprint for a new world of true diversity.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Jessica - Elon U.

I feel like there are more important things Americans should be concerned about other than what Pres. Obama's favorite TV show is.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Rafael Bronx,NY

Hey Erica do i have to text my question right now. I text it earlier about 6pm est but am not sure if AC 360 crew receive my text question.

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Kim

Anderson,

I am for gay marriage but I have a question.

If gay people are allowed to get married and therefore get the marriage tax credit from both the state and federal government, could that lessen the credit for all married people?

April 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |