April 6th, 2009

No religion? No problem.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/03/25/cleveland.catholic.parish.closures/St.James.art.jpg]
Nica Lalli
USA TODAY

Demographers are already salivating ahead of the upcoming U.S. Census, which will no doubt show just how different 2010 America is from 2000 America. When it comes to the religious breakdown of the country, though, the waiting game is over. Try this pop quiz:

What is the fastest-growing religious group in our country?

A. Southern Baptists.

B. Roman Catholics.

C. Non-denominational Christians.

D. None. As in, no religion at all.

The answer is D, but fear not. This isn't the end of the world or of religiosity in America.

Read more...

Filed under: 360° Radar • Religion
  1. Annie Kate

Why do we as Americans feel the need to advertise what our beliefs are or are not? Has no one mastered the policy of "keeping one's business to one's self"? What I believe or don't believe is my business and no one else has the need to know. Everyone should have the freedom of their choice in religion in our society and we should also be spared the judgmental views of others – and we can if we simply keep quiet. There is such a thing as "too much information".

April 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  2. Jim

What are you Athiests going to do If you find yourself Standing before
    God- Tell Him " I Don't belive in you" even though You see & hear Him.
    What are you going to do when Things Prophesyed come to pass? What evidence do you need? You see a Sign that says Dead end- Do You belive the sign & trust those who put it up? If you refuse to trust what happens?- Your the one who gets hurt. You Have Moses, The Prophets, Jesus Himself If you refuse to listen You were warned & you will have Noone else to blame other than yourself.

April 6, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  3. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

Ideally, everyone should have the right to believe in any religion or no religion at all.

But in the real world, it's those who believe in certain religions who try to force other people to their beliefs.

April 6, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  4. abc ~ anything but california hugh

I'm all for freedom of religion, but I'm also for freedom of no religion. Their are too many religious fanatics in America who want force their religious beliefs on others. What kind of religious freedom is that?

If I was a woman and wanted an abortion I should not have to deal with rude people blocking my path and demostrating with signs calling me or a doctor a murderer. People with a "holier than thou" attitude does not attract people to their church, so where is the gain?
    More than likely they don't want "questionable people" in their church anyway.

I think too many so-called "christians" just like to point fingers at others–it's an Us against Them mentality. Whatever happened to "love thy neighbor?" All I generally see is religious nuts and fanatics yelling, screaming and spewing their hate toward other people who do not think like they do or because they're angry at others for being homosexuals. Most christians I've ever met or seen in the media are very unchristian in their behavior.

The saying "What would Jesus Do?" is great, but far too many of these fanatics don't have a clue. The part about "love thy neighbor" has been reduced to a freak occurence. The reason I don't believe in religion is because I don't see the power of God in it, just people who want to have power over other human beings.

April 6, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  5. Liz in DC

As long as us humans continue to value mythology over reason and science, the planet is doomed.

April 6, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  6. Isabel

The ideal is that the church was a place of peace and spiritual comfort for Obama's family and that the tone of the sermons were not political.

What is expected is that the Priest or Pastor knows how to attain the faithful who seek God and have expectations with the work of the President. But it is expected also that the Priest or Pastor will attain the Obama's family (which will also be faithful), who also seek God and have expectations.

It is important to remember that everyone prays the same thing: for a more just America and a better world.

April 6, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  7. Cori

I just want to add that my previous statement is simply an observation of day-to-day life, and we see this on a global scale. Everyday that we turn on the news, or walk in the streets and see religious protestors, etc, etc. I keep my thoughts to myself, and keep on walking, or I change the channel if it's something that disturbs me. People have a right to their own beliefs, as do I, and I leave them be – I just go about my day, and mind my own business.

April 6, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  8. Cori

Organized religion is hateful, deceitful, and corrupt, and this is no lie. People witness this time and time again, it's no surprise.

I'm an athiest, and for good reason. I've never spouted hateful comments toward belivers, or made them outcasts, nor acted in hateful ways towards anyone of any religion – ever. I have family and really close friends who are believers. They simply believe in something I don't, and that's it. I respect them, and am glad they respect me. I just hope the future becomes open-minded and more tolerant of non-believers, as you can see, our numbers are growing with great haste. Let's ask ourselves why?

April 6, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  9. Sharon

I'm glad that more Americans are realizing that MAN CREATED GOD. Organized religion causes much hatred. A realistic approach to life is needed.

April 6, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  10. Ashley H

I dislike religion, it causes a large number of problems, and what's the point of it? All it does is brainwash people.

April 6, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  11. GF, Los Angeles

Thank you for this post! As an Atheist, I'm tired of believers trying to convert or "save" me. I have no desire to turn believers into non-believers like me yet why do they? The world would be a much better place if people allowed others to believe or not in peace.

April 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  12. Darci

When did we as a country decide it was okay not to accept people's right to choose if they practice a religion or not? Why does one side have to be right? I have seen it from both sides – the Church saying they are right, the non-believers saying they are right. Isn't it everyone's right to choose what religion/no religion they choose to practice without having to feel judged about it? It may sound silly but if people could just learn to live without judging based on choices you don't agree with – this may just be a better place to live. That makes us no better to me than any country that would execute a group of people because of their religion. We may not be close to executing people but we could use a good lesson in tolerance.

April 6, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  13. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

It is difficult to believe in something else greater than ourselves--if we cannot believe in humanity-–the concept that some supernatural being is going to safe the world-–just is not going to happen-–it will only give us the "opportunity" to save ourselves-–and we can't do that-–all will be on their knees for their earthly life.

April 6, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  14. Garrett S.

I think no religon is a good religon, you don't see atheist blowing up abortion clinics(killing doctors, nurses, patients), crashing into buildings or doing strange religous sacrifces, do you?

April 6, 2009 at 12:12 pm |