April 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/06/09

Tonight on AC360°, we're tracking a stolen plane from Canada that's traveling across the Midwest. Authorities say two F-16 fighter jets are following the plane that's in the hands of a student pilot. The plane took off from Ontario around 2:30pm and has just 7 hours of fuel. That means during our program we should know how this all ends.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the stolen plane and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@Casey Jone

Beautifully said...

April 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Jennifer - Michigan

Good night all – time for rest.
    The shot – Yeah right.....Ah huh.

April 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Emma

Levi Johnston is such a scumbag.

April 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. vanessa from silver spring, MD

@casey- i see where u coming from, but I see things a little differently.

Goodnight All. talk to yall tomorrow.

April 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Miss J

Goodnight guys – Jack, Erica, Anderson – Thanks for your hard work tonight on all of the breaking news.

April 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Cristy Kirssin

@Larrry,

Yhea, why don't they build a chapel in the White House? Oh yhea, but then they wouldn't be able to mix and mingle with others of the same belief within the local community,and that's what it's all about.

April 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Wow - the 360 hour always goes by fast and especially so tonight with all the breaking news.

Great show tonight, Anderson and Team 360 -

Good chatting tonight fellow bloggers -

Until tomorrow night.......

The "Shot" - Ahhh... the Palin's...the story that just keeps on giving!!!

April 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Jacqueline, NY

It is truly hard these days to find a church which preaches the Word of God... Not the worldly untruths and intentional misinterpretations of God's Word. But, the Bible warns us about that matter, too

April 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. JB in Wisconsin

I am very disappointed that someone could steal a plane in Canada, and our Govt. allows it to fly so close to my home and not re-act. What would of been the re-action if it was headed towards Washington? All of a sudden I don't feel so safe anymore!!

April 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!!!!

Anderson,
    Have a great night and sleep after work..... see you tomorrow night,
    Are you planning go to Italy for coverage the earthquake? Take care.

April 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Bob Coyle

I suggest the New York Presbyterian Church in Washington. Lincoln went there. They still have his pew...

April 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good night everyone..

Thanks CNN for the excellent reporting... you guys are in "over-time"

April 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Dilek, NY

@Abby,

I completely agree with you. It's really sad how Muslims in general are portrayed by the stereotypes. Those are not real Muslims, they are extremists.

April 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  14. lynn

Abby: thank you for sharing your background. What you stated is exactly what I have learned from my Islamic students.

Americans don't like to be judged by stereotypes and certainly not for the senseless murders in the past few days. Imagine if that was all that was shown on foreign media outlets!!

April 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I like how the Palins were on Tyra of all places. Watched it, on accident and yes, she did find a way to make it all about herself.

April 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

Have to ask yourself - was this guy a diversion for something else that may become a security breach?

April 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Goodnight everyone.Peace to all of you and yours.

April 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Brennon

@Andre. Even if the shooter was telling the truth, as you say, that most certainly does not merit any violent action, much less the action he took.

April 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Enjoy your night, everyone. Sleep well.

April 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Miss J

I do not currently attend church services... but I would if the Obamas were attending a church nearby. And its not because I'd want a picture or autograph.

April 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Cristy Kirssin

You know what, ultimately is should really come to where Mr. and Mrs. Obama can grow spiritually and sense God's presence. I hope they find it.

April 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Lauren--NY

Casey, I have to tell you...anything that appears to be dead and then disappears is creepy. 😛

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. LC, NY

wow, One minute Anderson was being told that the authorities could not give the name of the man who stole the cessna, and the next minute Jeane Mecerve had two names this man uses. good work you guys

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

Guess it's time to re-evaluate security on both sides of the border.

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Kathy, Chicago

I have been trying hard to avoid all of the pomp and fluff about the Obamas, but I hope they make a good choice with their new church. It has to be an improvement from the last one.

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Vanessa...I see churches as a negative element in our communities. I agree, I don't have a problem with anyone going to a church, but I whish people (including the Obamas) would trust themselves enough to understand their faith doesn't change just because the go to a churc h.

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think that its awesome that the Obamas are looking for a church home. I really think its important to have one, it tends to be a stress-reducer...the President could use some stress relief! 🙂

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Maren in Oregon

While understandable, it's a litle odd for government to be v etting religious organizations for . . .what? Just security woud be OK. Doctrine checks? Not comfortable with that.

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Cristy Kirssin

Good. I'm glad the Obama's are getting help with this, based on his past interests in Pastors he needs a little help in this area. I think overall he will make the right choice with the right help.

April 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Vanessa, TX

Good Night Anderson, Erica...all my smartees...and Jack Gray (Gray Groupies)
    I hope everyone gets some well deserved sleep and rest...stay safe 🙂

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  31. Cherry B - Ms

Awww, Anderson, possums aren't creepy. If you stay long enough down here in the deep South, you'll have one for a pet. Just kidding!

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Isabel

It is important to remember that everyone prays the same thing: for a more just America and a better world.

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Isabel

What is expected is that the Priest or Pastor knows how to attain the faithful who seek God and have expectations with the work of the President. But it is expected also that the Priest or Pastor will attain the Obama’s family (which will also be faithful), who also seek God and have expectations.

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Angie in West Chester

@ Clay- Thank you! It's yet another example of someone not being right mentally, and combined with a lot of the other stories that have been covered, shows that not nearly enough resources are being devoted to mental health. A lot of these stories could have been avoided if help was accessible.

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

Nice bit about the rabid opossum. I don't think I've ever really seen a opossum, but my ex boyfriend used to tell a hysterical story about his former girlfriend getting trapped on a porch by a opossum. Not rabid, just huge. He agreed that they are very creepy.

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  36. Monica M. Williams

Never thought I would see the day AC360 pulled video from the Tyra Banks show.

This just brings a whole new meaning to "news" and "being hip". : )

April 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Nattada, Houston TX

The cute raccoon is back!! 😀

Anderson, you are not that creepy if I may say so.

(I was kidding, you are not creepy at all. 🙂 )

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

AC team, good reporting. Alright everyone, good night....

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Lauren--NY

Thank you, David Gergen, for joining us on the blog. It's an honor.

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  40. Jana, Indiana

Good night Anderson and all bloggers. You had a very busy and very imformative show tonight.

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  41. Isabel

The ideal is that the church was a place of peace and spiritual comfort for Obama’s family and that the tone of the sermons was not political.

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  42. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson, i know what you mean about possums....the bigger they get, the more "unusual" they look, but i really like them anyway.

BEWARE: Possums and Racoons do NOT get along, they will try to kill each other given the chance.

Your comments were very funny!

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  43. laura

Mike in Syracuse-I'm glad you said that.

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  44. Maren in Oregon

Four of the cutest possum babies I ever saw – were in the lower cabinet of the built in book case in the den. Against an outer wall, Mom had apparently dig under and through. She wasn't a looker, that's for sure, but her kids we're adorable! We patched things up when she waddled away with them after about a few weeks.

April 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

Anderson - Possums are creepy - had one living in my (attached) garage for about a week before I realized it. Opened the door to the garage one night to throw something in the recycle bin and it was on the steep (ready to come in) staring up at me. Never closed a door so fast in my life!

April 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  46. yemti ndienla

America is a land of opportunities.But its rather unfortunate that many take this for granted.And this guy is just one of them.

April 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Possums are harmless. We used to get them all the time in our backyard (in SF) and when you found them they would "play possum," acting dead. Another look a few moments later and they'd be gone. What could possibly be so creepy about them?

April 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  48. Abby

Anderson, I am a practicing muslim. Was brought up with strict islamic practice. I can tell you for a fact that these actions in Afganistan and Saud Arabia are not islamic teachings. It pains me to see every negative action seen pinned to Islam. People have to understand that these are traditions that people in these countries have practiced way before Islam came. Unfortunately a lot of them are completely ignorant of the fundemental islamic teachings. Islam actually forbids forcing anyone to practice islam. Religion is a choice, and that is stated in the Quran. Islam came to abolish slavery and free women. Head covering is a requirement in Islam yes, but it cannot be forced. Ask any woman wearing it, and she will tell you it is worn by choice. My wearing it was my choice, and when I took it of briefly, no one punished me, or was in the least bit unpleasant. I believe this constant negativity by the media is what is leading people to hate regular muslim people who are trying to live a peaceful life just like anyone else.

April 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Larry

Is there no chapel in the WH?

April 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  50. lynn

Yje round table with students in Isranbul will help show Americans what most of the Muslim world is. There will be male and female students there and we may find they are much like our students.

April 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm |