April 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/06/09

Tonight on AC360°, we're tracking a stolen plane from Canada that's traveling across the Midwest. Authorities say two F-16 fighter jets are following the plane that's in the hands of a student pilot. The plane took off from Ontario around 2:30pm and has just 7 hours of fuel. That means during our program we should know how this all ends.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the stolen plane and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Jack Gray

The poor guy probably ran out of fuel. I am surprised that the plane went that far...

Very sad about Italy... living in an earth-quake area myself...

April 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

I agree w/ David Gergen about the President working to get things on a friendly footing w/Turkey.

Isabel, Maybe President Obama is doing things that will help make progress toward peace.

April 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. May-Tennessee

@Erica...you got that right...news happening as we speak...what a night. My satellite signal keeps going out due to rain so I'm totally relying on the blog through my iphone for updates now. Just had a tweet come in a few minutes ago from David Puente about the assasination plot. What's next? All that's going on these days seems like it's coming straight out of the book of Revelations.

April 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Miss J

So ok – is there going to be any CNN updates after 11pm? If they don't find the guy in the next half hour?

April 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. ME

Good evening everyone
    Anderson the president needs to make sure that yes we are friendly respectful , have commited mistakes but are continually trying to improve But we will not accept abuse and killing. If Muslims hide terrorist they must be dealt with if the Muslims country will not do so then we must defend ourselves. The president forgot to mention our rights to protect ourselves very sad

April 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Dee

I'd like to know if Muslim men are punished if they are caught leaving the house with a woman who is not their wife. It seems to me that the Muslim religion has a lot to do with controlling women.

Dee – Atlanta

April 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  7. R

Soooo...

You have this plane (although small) heading in from Canada over the Midwest, F-16's are scrambled, pilot acknowledges F-16's but ignore's them....Why not fire upon the aircraft .. warning shots... He is flying for hours and nutin. And now he is on the ground.. and no one knows where he is.

NICE

Go figure.

April 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Glen Up North

WOW! I never thought I'd see this: Anderson hiding behind someone else's name? As rare as he types here, you'd think he'd want his own name to appear when he actually does! (Teasing, Anderson... 😉 )

April 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Rikki,

I agree with you... it looks like we have finally joined the world...

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Jack Gray

working to establish communication with a local official on scene in Missouri...supposedly has a visual on the plane....very rural area...sounds like it might be a tough search

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Carlos Ochoa

I think it's a great thing that our president is reaching out to the muslim world and in doing so changing the way american are viewed world wide. I just separated form active duty and have seen first hand the anti-american sedament growing world wide. Im glad he is doing something about it.

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Avant Orlando FL

Anderson you fit perfect to report with President Obama?
    have you ever been to Turkey then no one would ever plot
    such a crime if your around.

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Jacqueline, NY

@Lori from IL, O concur.

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Anderson posted as Erica cool how you guys work in disguise
    Thanks for checking in Ac.

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Maren in Oregon

I'm sorry, I can't agree with Fareed. the horrid treatment of women in Muslins societies is a jamor issue and must be addressed. If nothing else, we should be paying attention to women trapped in this country in situations which are tragically similar to thoise described.

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Dodie from Irvine, CA

LOL Erica.... that happens when you share a computer... too cute 🙂

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  17. laura

Jack, I went to college in Springfield MO. As I recall, Elsinore is a small town in that vicinity, not much there. But keep in mind, when I was in college, Branson MO was just a place with a big waterslide and that was it.

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Bridget, TX

@JoAnn, I haven't heard all of his speech how did he bash the U.S?

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Emma

OMG, what happened to that girl was horrific! I can't understand why anyone would think this is acceptable behavior.

Didn't Afghanistan just pass a law that allows men to rape their wives? Unbelievable......

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That is a terrible video! It makes me feel very lucky that I live in a country where I can leave my house with whomever I want (I'm not married) and there are essentially no consequences. My heart goes out to that woman and all the women that have to endure that kind of treatment.

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Sharon S

How odd that someone in Turkey wanted to kill Obama? What was the motive exactly? I thought they all loved him over there in Europe? Maybe not!

Maybe the news should focus more on what he is doing and saying and less on what he and Michelle are wearing or giving as gifts???

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. rose

Fareed Zakaria and David Gergen – the best in their business!! Well done AC!

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Michelle

I do not see how the pilot got away.
    How come the area was not sealed off.

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Anthonia-California

That was just brutal that the teenage woman in Pakistan was beaten for leaving her home without her husband...that was just horrific.

April 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Lauren--NY

Ha! You guys and your computer issues.

Thanks Anderson (as Erica) for the update, and welcome home. Always glad to know you made it back safely. I meant what I said about the team.

That Taliban video is horrifying. I cannot believe the amount of stories pouring in tonight...I'm hopeful that the guy they arrested in Turkey was indeed acting alone.

April 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Evening AC, Erica, 360 staff and bloggers...

What a freaky night. Ok, I heard this plane was flying over Mo right before I went to dinner. Came home to catch AC360 and get the latest to hear he was still in the air.... Ok that was an erry feeling all night long. Glad he is down and so glad they didn't have to shoot him down. Yikes..

Also freaky that I have been trying to call people to tell them the plane is down and I can't place a phone call as all circuits were busy... A weird and freaky feeling.

April 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  27. LorenaR

i know we all hope that the President is surrounded by a flawless and completely reliable security system. It's scary to hear reports even though they may be hoaxes, against the President. I know of people who are doom-sayers, saying that something will happen soon. They say it almost wishing it would happen. How can americans be like this? i guess it's like rush limbaugh wishing him to fail.

April 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

Maren, I agree. (And thank you! 🙂 ) Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of both why the pilot did this, and why he was able to get as far as he did. Security is a team effort, and oftentimes that team stretches beyond geographic borders.

April 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Monica M. Williams

Death threats, earthquakes, stolen planes posing security threats, to even gunmen reaping havoc on innocent bi-standards – our world can sometimes be a scary place.

April 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Maria

The muslim world still living in the seventh century

April 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Atlanta

That video from Pakistan is horrific and so hard to watch.

April 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Maren in Oregon

Anti Muslim sentiment is just a matter of familiary, and of hearing a more positiv e thread of information in the press. 51% of American believes a lot of things which can't be explained.

April 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  33. SC

Why wasn't the plane shot down? He could have crashed into a large city and caused many deaths.

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm really proud of President Obama and seeing him reach out to the Muslim population.

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Holly, CA

Wow, crazy news day. Thanks to all of you for keeping us in the loop. Looks like poor Anderson is on the road again with Erica & crew holding down the fort in NYC. Safe travels & hope to see you all in the same studio soon!

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Hello Fareed! Great to see you on the show...

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. ericacnn

That last post from me wasn't really from me. I forgot to fully log out of my acct on Friday night, and AC is back on his laptop, which means the post before this one actually came from Mr Cooper himself. oops! 🙂

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

@ David Gergen -

I love that our President/administration shows restraint and gathers all the available information, before taking action.

Thought that President Obama's speech in Turkey was great. We need Turkey to be a partner - and to get past this Muslim vs. Christian idea.

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Sharon S

I never knew America was ever Anti Muslin? I thought we were anti radical crazies?

So what is Pres Obama talking about?
    I Never had any problems with anyone worshiping the way they chose I have a problem with terrorist, not muslins!

April 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Brennon

Just turned on the TV. I'd love to hear more about the stolen plane.

April 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama should not be condemning the U.S. to appease the Muslim countries.

April 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Larry

If history has taught us anything it is that anyone can be killed, you just have to be willing to die yourself.

April 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

I hope there are no more victims or to find more people to time.
    It is very sad this situation.

April 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Maren in Oregon

Aything we can do to support the moderate Muslim governments, and moderate elements withinj more radical Muslim societies, is a good idea. After 8 years of not doing anything like that – why say the name again – we have some catching up to do. Not kowtowing, catching up; there's a difference.

April 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Bridget, TX

I don't think it's wise for the President to remain in Turkey after the possible assasination.

April 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  46. sahar saleh

I love you too Arica, David, and Candy,.....

April 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Dror Zaifman

The stolen plane in my mind could be a test of how fast the United States reacts to such events as well as how far they (the terrorist) can get before being stopped or met by US Planes.
    I think we should have knocked him down over any open area as soon as possible because now the potential terrorist know they can fly so far without having to worry about being shot down.
    This means that they can release either bio or even nuclear (dirty bomb) into US territory if they do not have to worry about being shot down that far into the Unites States.
    What says they will not still a different plane next time with a longer range?
    Call me crazy but from a security prospective, I always think "what is the potential message that we can get from such an event"
    Now true it could just be the work of a mad man but what if it wasn’t? What if it was a test of the capabilities of the United States?

April 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David G,
    I don't know why he stole to ride plane to Missouri...... I never thought my mind, he is not adult to drive on the plane.... I think he was play around on plane (joyride). I don't understand all teenager were joyride cars or plane.

April 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Lisa

David Gergin: I believe our government shows basic restraint in all things right now.

April 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

I've heard the European response Pres. Obama's visit reports that Europeans have a greater attraction to America than in the past...great site to see as many of many college friends go overseas to study next year...good to know that feelings towards Americans are turning for the better

April 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |