April 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/06/09

Tonight on AC360°, we're tracking a stolen plane from Canada that's traveling across the Midwest. Authorities say two F-16 fighter jets are following the plane that's in the hands of a student pilot. The plane took off from Ontario around 2:30pm and has just 7 hours of fuel. That means during our program we should know how this all ends.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the stolen plane and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. William Courtland

There have been over a thousand earthquakes in the Mediterranean since the construction of the Pantheon, yet in Rome that building still stands.

Why does modern construction fail: when ancient structures maintain their structure?

Historical value, sometimes needs to take a back seat to safety: to redesign and reconstruct with the idea of an aesthetic for the old ways.

April 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. ericacnn

@Maren – Jack is the King!

3. Glen Up North

@brandi, there's more to interception than just shooting it out of the sky... there's radio contact, there's sending off planes to try to divert it and get it to land... Shooting should only be an option when all else fails. And come to think of it, Anderson, if one compares our Prime Minister Stephen Harper to to the current POTUS, I could see why someone could want to move to the US! 😉

4. starr formerly known as vincent

We all knew it was coming, some NUT who wants to kill the president! We are very grateful for all of the security surrounding him.

Our thoughts & prayers are also with Italy and those people who have losses, injuries and no homes.

5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good evening everyone. The stolen plane was more than a joy flight. Wow, the earthquake must have come like a thief in the night.

6. vanessa from silver spring, MD

So happy they caught that man who was plotting to kill POTUS.

7. Isabel

President Obama asks Turkey to help resolve conflicts of Iran to Afghanistan.

It is sad to see that peace is something as complicated and often a chimera.

8. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I pray too Megan for the victims of earthquake .

9. Vanessa, TX

I understand that the suspect did not come close to the POTUS, but the fact that theres a threat made against him is still very scary...I'm sure hes out of harms way..but still wish the POTUS good luck and safe trip home..

10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!! not good news to hear that they might will assasinate our pres. Obama.... That is so scary I hear.

11. Miss J

That's pretty scary (about the assassin).

12. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Jack. That is a very small air plane. It could not do very much damage. It has a big weight restriction. around 285 lbs is all it can handle which includes the pilot's weight

13. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Glad to see you here tonight. My first reaction to that crazy fellow who stole the plane: thank goodness, our government showed restraint and didn't shoot him down. They could have easily taken him out, but coming to the view that he wasn't really a terrorist, they made a very wise choice. What do you think?

Also look forward to your reaction to the President's speech in Turkey. Thought he handled it extremely well - and probably made some real progress with a key partner of the U.S., Turkey itself.

14. Esma

I can't tell you how glad I am that they caught this guy. He wanted to STAB the President? That's not just scary, that's personal.

April 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Maren in Oregon

IFrankly it's a surprise that this is the threat we're hearing about. There would likely have been others by now. thank goodness the Turkish authorities were onj top of it.

April 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Rikki, Fargo, ND

How scary? I'm glad they were able to arrest that guy before he was able to do any sort of act of violence!

April 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Good evening! Too many disturbing and sad stories. It does worry me so as to the extent of what men can do specially during times of difficulties(Cessna incident et al) and for the sake of ideology (President Obama news). Natural disaster not even included 🙁

April 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Bloggers
    This student flew amok with a plane how nice ,it not good for Canada it gives us bad veiw

April 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Cherry B - Ms

Very scary about the assasination business. Makes you realize how diffcult it has to be to protect the President.

April 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Kathy, Chicago

Havn't there been several threats against him already? I'm sure this won't be the last threat, either.

April 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Isabel

@ Jack Gray

I imagine the rush of you.
    In the news sites is still very little.

April 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Jacqueline, Ny

What a day! I'm just getting off a shoot in Jersey. Had no idea I'd be able to blog with you tonight. But I was hoping for a calmer evening than we've had in weeks. It's the times in which we live. Boy, the Bible surely doesn't lie.

April 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  23. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

That stolen plane is freaky. Was it drunk kids?
    Earthquake in Italy is shocking. So sad

April 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Sharon S

Good eveing Anderson, Erica, Jack and bloggers!
    Man what a day, one thing after another!!! I pray for all those who were hit in Italy and hope they get a hold on this crazy pilot!

April 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  25. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

@Erica- I would LOVE to know this guy's motive for taking the plane. Having multiple discussions with my family right now and come up with some ideas:
    1. he wanted to get shot down
    2. he is mentally unstable
    or
    3. he just wanted to have some fun.....

honestly how can someone not notice that their plane is GONE....lol 😛

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Mike Syracuse, NY

Obama may say we are not at war with the Muslim world. Too bad they ARE at war with us.

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  27. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Hey Bloggers and AC team...scary with the presidential assasin threat

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I hope you had a great weekend.
    I'm glad the stolen plane has landed safely. Though he's in serious trouble, hopefully the pilot will be taken care of.
    –It's been sad seeing the news from Italy today.

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Chris from Ohio

Cessna plane stolen from Canada? Be glad it wasn't a 747 stolen from JFK or la guardia headed to NYC or Washington again!!!

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  30. Maren in Oregon

Good Evening Jack, Erica. You guys are really earning your schekles tonight! Breaking everything! Jack was askin for news tips on Twitter in mid afternoon. King of all media!

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica everyone. Thank Goodness the Cessna is on the ground right as 10pm comes around. Hopefully they catch the pilot before he harms himself or anyone else.

The earthquake in Italy is a terrible event. The people of those towns and cities in central Italy are in my thoughts and prayers. Are rescuers and equipment able to get where they are needed.

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  32. myrna

Hello Anderson, We have had a plane flying low here in B.C. back some months ago.It should not have been flying where it was.It was on our Global news. I heard it only once! I waited to hear more,however there was no futher word.It is a bit scary!

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  33. Lauren--NY

I sincerely hope that the plot to assassinate our president is either a hoax, or a very weak attempt that can be easily stopped.

I was enjoying the Kennedy comparisons up until now, but my heart is in my throat to think how astute they might be.

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Emma

It has certainly been a busy Monday!

I hope they're able to rescue as many survivors as possible. Earlier today, I saw one survivor who was so grateful to be rescued that he just clung onto one of the rescue workers.

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  35. Glen Up North

Maren: actually, I'm relieved that it's _this_ type of flight incident that just happens to occur, instead of the terrorist type... Hopefully, this will get the authorities to realize that a terrorist-style air attack can still occur and will introduce (or re-establish) security measures that will help to make these types of situations virtually impossible to occur!

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  36. lee

i'm outraged that this plane wasn't taken down! Our government put this country in danger, who knew that this guy wasn't bringing nuclear, biological or other terrorist stuff into this country. Lake suerior would have been perfect. Norad totally crewed up!!!!!!!! No to mention the plane could have run out of gas just over a crowded city or college campus. What, the Obama leaves so we let crazy peaple cross our borders and "just wait and see"...

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Cristy Kirssin

I see what Obama is trying to do by restoring a friendship between America and Islam. Please don't risk the relationship America enjoys with Israel, Mr. Obama. Be Carefull!!

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  38. Mel

How did this guy who stole the plane get away on the ground? I hope they catch him. Love the show.

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Maria

Good evening Anderson, AC360 crew and bloggers,
    Italy Earthquake is sad news

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I heard that quake expert Giampaolo Giuliani warned them that this earthquake was coming and the authorities dismissed him!

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Last night I found out there was earthquake in Italy on Twitter...... my heart goes to Italy's people.... my thoughts and prayer with them.

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  42. Jana, Indiana

WOW busy night indeed. Anderson you are at your best when you have real breaking news going on. Good luck keeping up with all of it.

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  43. violet

there plenty of crazy people out there in the world it will be interesting to find out more about his motives

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Miss J

I didn't hear about the plot on the President until I turned on 360. This was overseas?

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Hey Erica! is it really monday? lol

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Isabel

@ Erica Hill

The week started hot!
    Unfortunately, many bad stories!

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Elliot Friar

This is an odd thing. I run a student news station through youtube and twitter, and I was covering this since earlier today. It is remarkable that someone can actually do this, and run off on foot!

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Vanessa, TX

@Erica...yikes..all these breaking news is kinda scary. You guys are doing a great job, though..

April 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC 360 team, Panel members, and all bloggers. Hope everyone had a good rest and relaxing weekend.

What a strange story with the stolen plane news and runaway pilot. Seems to me a suicide act. Fortunately for him, he was not get shot down.

My heart and preyer go out to the people who lost and injured in Intaly earthquake. What a sad news today.

April 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Jack Gray

Folks, we're still making calls in the newsroom, trying to find out the very latest on this pilot....sounds like a fairly rural area....Any of you know the area near Elsinore MO?

April 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |