April 6th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Plot to Kill Pres. Obama? & Tracking a Stolen Plane

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/04/06/obama.us.image.poll/art.obama.gi.jpg caption="Nearing the end of his first overseas trip, President Obama addresses the Turkish Parliament on Monday in Ankara."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

We've following several breaking stories for you tonight. We'll take you to Turkey where we've learned of an alleged plot by a Syrian man to assassinate President Obama. U.S. officials says the suspect was arrested last week, but they've taken the threat "very seriously". Tonight on AC360°, we'll give you details on the alleged plot.

Also on our radar tonight, two F16 fighter jets following a stolen plane near St. Louis, Missouri at this hour. A spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado says the Cessna 172 was stolen from Ontario around 2:30pm today. The student pilot is not communicating with the fighter pilots who caught up with the Cessna at the Michigan-Wisconsin state line. Authorities say the plane has enough fuel to fly for 7 to 8 hours. We'll bring you the developments as they unfold.

We'll also have a live update from L'Aquila, Italy where today's 6.3 magnitude earthquake has killed at least 150 people. At least 1,500 others have been injured and 50,000 are now homeless.

And, back here in the U.S., a chilling letter from the gunman who killed 13 people at an immigrant center in Binghamton, New York before killing himself. The letter was sent to a TV news station. It was postmarked on Friday, the day of the mass killing. We'll share with you Jiverly Wong's last message, which chillingly ends with "you have a nice day."

Join us for these breaking stories and more starting at 10pm ET.
See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. MICHAEL SHAWN INGRAM SEP/10/1984

why did he have a name change???

April 7, 2009 at 5:47 am |
  2. MICHAEL SHAWN INGRAM SEP/10/1984

I appologize for my previous "all-capp" entry, I didn't realize it. Any way i would like to write my sever fear for what is happening to our country., This gentleman should have been shot out of the sky within minutes of his unlawful entry into these Great States of America. He had enlarged fuel cells or tanks and it was known he could travel for 7-8 hours. He showed us the flwas in our system yet again just by looking at where he flew on a so called flight -plan....does no -one remember 9/11 what if he was a terrorist, he could have done severe damage .....im 6'4 and 330 lbs and i have never been as scareed as i am now for my and my famil's safety what can we dol?

April 7, 2009 at 5:45 am |
  3. Danielle Gordon

The news is devastating! President Obama seems to be God sent, no matter who comes after him he will not leave until his purpose is fulfiiled. He operates just like that, getting as much done as he can for the future of this country and ultimately for the rest of the world. He and his family understand the risks, but choose to sacrifice their own lives for others. I have no fear when it comes to his safety!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families in Italy and the families of the victims in NY. You never know what tomorrow will hold.
    I'm thankful for small things like a home, food, water, my daughter. I tell her give thanks to God for these delicious meals, because there are children starving in other countries and right here in our own! I am extremely thankful, because Nothing is promised! A job today no job tomorrow....a home today No home tomorrow....your Life today No life tomorrow...it's not promised no matter what circumstance you are in rich middle poor! Praise God for His mercy and grace on us all...with every day new mercies are created!! Join me in being Thankful for Life! a Meal, your Home or maybe its transportation, a Job lets just give Thanks!!

April 7, 2009 at 1:45 am |
  4. tom

I always worry about major political figures when they go to Turkey.. Turkey is a sane place on the edge of some countries that have lost it. I love Turkey.. but there are people that are on the fringe that either go there or live there that seem psychologically over the edge and whom don't understand their faith the way most of Turkey does. When I think of the bombings in in some of the Major Cities there I can't help but ask Why? Why do people just seek to hurt others... people they don't even know? The vast majority of Turks are exactly like us, just regular guys working hard to make a difference and then, probably like everyplace else in the world there are people that try to harm or discredit their country. I hope the Turkish were able to break up the plot against the President and that we bind closer friendship with our allies. They have so much to offer the world. I am disappointed that the EU hasn't brought them fully into the fold, perhaps President Obama can help make that happen.

I lived there when I was a kid. They were such friends to the United States They so loved President Kennedy. They have some of the best beaches, cleanest sky, wonderful historical sites. I am proud of our President for his understanding of the role of Turkey as ambassadors to the Middle East.

April 7, 2009 at 12:48 am |
  5. Richard

Americans would not vote for a Muslim for President, if I recall this was a breaking detail repeated over the airway to young impressionable Muslim boys and girls, when then candidate Barak Husein Obama was running for President. In fact, he had to prove and repeat that he was not a Muslim to white republicans, unheard of in the history of presidential campaigns. Naturally, the statistics mentioned today reflect the racial and religious intolerance that a so-called "free" people engage in and do so on T.V., That is Keeping You Honest....!

April 6, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  6. Gabriel T. McDaniels

Man oh man I woke up this morning to all this bad news!! It appears its just chaos everywhere in the world right now:(

April 6, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  7. anne-marie

I notice that Michelle Obama did not accompany the President to Turkey–why not?

April 6, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  8. keith edwards

Officials in the United States decided not to shoot down the Cessna that invaded our air space because they determined it "wasn't a threat." However, it was a threat the moment the pilot illegally crossed the border, ignored repeated warnings, and flew erratically. Additionally,if this plane "wasn't a threat," why was the capitol building in Wisconsin evacuated?

It was reported that US officials did not consider the plane a threat because it flew over prime targets instead of attacking them. What kind of logic is that? Are these officials waiting until the plane crashed into these targets before deeming it a "threat?"

What is the purpose of our military, TSA, and all this advanced security? Did I sacrifice my civil liberties to the USA Patriot Act only to have our military "wave" at invading aircraft threatening my home?

April 6, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Joe G. (Illinois)

Ship captains are always the last ones to abandon sinking ships. Why then would Obama's Public Relation Department leak a terror/murder plot against him while is terror and abortion doctrine against our most innocent and vulnerable goes unmentioned..? Obama is our what? I didn’t vote for him because I believe that murder is a sin and it shouldn’t be legalized to attain votes from women without conscious and from the man who venerate them.

April 6, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  10. Andrea, Toronto

Listening to some US media over the past few months, I’ve been appalled at the hate and fear that is being fed over the airwaves. Moderators on Fox News are telling their listeners that their country is being taken away by communists.
    is it any wonder that we’re seeing the kind of hopelessness which has resulted in gruesome murders over the last few weeks?

April 6, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  11. yemti ndienla

Threat to kill anybody must be taken seriously talk less to the president of the United States.However, Obama, is aware of the fact that he is a target for elimination by some overzealous individuals.So, what he should do is tight up his security

April 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  12. monier

it's really unfortunate that there are still people in this world that don't want to see a President like Obama succeed with changing America's national image. The Plane situation is very scary and shows that even with all the safe guards and security put in place still leaves a 10% change for someone to find a break to do something destructive.

April 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Annie Kate

Hey Maureen

Lots of news tonight – I like it when you have breaking news. Hopefully the stolen Cessna wasn't stolen to commit a crime of terrorism or anything. The story on the assassination plan should prove interesting as well. I think though the letter that the gunman Friday mailed will probably be the most fascinating part of the news. I hope it gives us a better idea of why he did what he did.

April 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Isabel

Good evening, Maureen Miller!

You have several bad news tonite!

Very sadness in Italy 100 thousand homeless, more than 150 people died and 1,500 injured.

About Binghamton was reported between that of the deads there are a Brazilian teacher. He was a researcher, and he was doing in English classes at the center. Almir Alves was doing post-Doctorate in Binghamton.

Now it is expected that the bill restores the law that the federal ban on assault weapons is approved. That improve the situation and that other things are made to reduce such violence.

Thank you!
    See you later!

April 6, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  15. Isabel

Good evening, Maureen Miller!

How much bad news! My God!

That sadness in Italy 100 thousand homeless, more than 150 people died and 1,500 injured.

This weekend was reported between that of the deads there are a Brazilian teacher.
    He was a researcher, and he was doing in English classes at the center.
    Almir Alves was doing post-Doctorate in Binghamton.

See you later!

April 6, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  16. Mary

There seems to be an awful lot of bad news. The plane situation is a little scary but if it were a known threat wouldn't they shoot it down? They must know who it is.

April 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  17. Teresa, OH

I'm wondering if the student pilot doesnt know how to land or use the communications controls? He is in big trouble, that's for sure. I hope he isnt headed toward Ohio.

Keep praying for the earthquake victims and towns people.

And the letter, with its "you have a nice day"... I'm sure those words
    have a precise meaning. Perhaps Jiverly heard them one too many
    times when people dismissed him??

April 6, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  18. Vickie MO.

I heard the jets above my house today!

April 6, 2009 at 9:29 pm |