April 6th, 2009

Blood on their hands

Program Note: Tune in tonight for a special report by Joe Johns and Erica Hill on gun violence in America on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

[cnn-photo-caption-image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/04/06/binghamton-shooting.jpg]
Jami Floyd | Bio
In Session

I went to college in Binghamton, the scene of Friday’s deadly shooting, in which a gunman killed 13 people and then himself. In my four years at the university, I learned to love that little city; I even spent the summer there after my senior year.

I got to know the folks who lived in town, hardworking folks—waitresses and bartenders, store clerks and paralegals. The kind of Americans who keep this country running. Binghamton is the kind of town you see in Steven Spielberg movies, where kids ride their bikes to school and people still go to church on Sundays.

The education I received at school there prepared me for my time at the White House, where I worked on a federal ban on assault weapons. It was signed into law by President Clinton in 1994.

Read more...

Filed under: Gun Violence • In Session • Jami Floyd
  1. Annie Lee

Guns don't kill.....people do!

April 7, 2009 at 12:55 am |
  2. lampe

I live in Pa. On Saturday, we had 3 Police Officers killed, and 2 others hurt. This was not done by a Gun. This was done by a man with issues, who just used a Gun to do his damage. By banning Guns, do you honestly believe that people with issues, are not going to be able to get their hands on them?

April 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Teresa, OH

Small world, Jami, with you going to school there.

I have an idea that doesnt get posted alot online. I think it's too simple. Why dont all parents and teachers teach children not to make fun of people? Why dont we all shame others who make fun of people? Who do any of us think we are to belittle, name call or demean others for being, looking, talking, and acting different than we do?

Dont outlaw guns. Outlaw people who make fun of other people. They know what theyre doing and they are trying to hurt people. Why do you think the perps were on the meds to start with?

April 6, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  4. Ken

Its easy to blame the second amendment, but there are defiantly deeper societal issues.Who
    diagnosed this man with the condition that required his medication and where the side effects researched? Banning firearms will only leave those who follow the law vulnerable. Criminals don't turn in their guns. Nor do they buy them at a gun store.

April 6, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  5. Mari

So tragic. God have mercy !

April 6, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  6. Michael C. McHugh

New York has had very strict gun control laws for years, but this guy has two registered weapons when he went on his shooting spree. I'm not at all an NRA supporter, and I think firearms should be registered and we should have background checks, but none of that would have stopped a gunman like this. The causes and cure for that type of sickness have to be found elsewhere.

April 6, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  7. mark

Over the past 20 years the majority of these mass killing have been commited by antisocial, depressed individuals on Prozac. Perhaps if less stigma were attached to the responsible carry of firearms by ALL responsible citizens such tragedies would be thwarted much more often. Psychiatrists and the pharmaceutical industry know 100% that suicidality and homicidality are associated with the use onf this class of antidepressants. Yet the liberal statists place psychology and science above common sense, faith, and truth (which is absolute by the way). Thousands of suicides and homicides have been docummented as associated with these drugs and yet the lobbyist influenced politicos have never suggested banning these substances despite myriad scientific studies outlining the violent risks of these medications. They salivate when these mass killings occur however, because it grants them the moral imperitive to pursue their fascist one world order the preamble of which will be to disarm true patriots, and honest hard working citizens. Every fascist dicatorial movement in history was preceeded by suspension and siezure of gun rights. That is no mistake. Whether the liberal statists are directly behind the killings or simply refusing to address the causes of violence in our society matters not...their goal is easy to discern. Dark days lay ahead for AmeriKa!

April 6, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  8. Armando R. from Plymouth, Ma

We have to watch out for number one, but don't step on number two.

April 6, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  9. Isabel

This weekend was reported that between of the deads there are a Brazilian teacher.
    He was a researcher, and he was doing in English classes at the center.

Almir Alves was doing post-doctorate in Binghamton.

Now it is expected that the bill restores the law that the federal ban on assault weapons is approved. That improves the situation and that other things are made to reduce such violence.

April 6, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  10. Raymond Previ

The right to bear arms will be with us as long as the 2nd Amendment exists, and I figure as long as the USA continues to exists. We can only make certain weapons illegal but not all of them.

April 6, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

I'm not surprised this ban was allowed to lapse under Bush. I guess Cheney wanted to be sure he could get what he wanted for hunting. However, I hope the Obama administration puts the ban back in place – and that Congress supports this without the usual partisan antics as I see no reason that ensuring the safety of the public should be a reason for partisan politics.

April 6, 2009 at 4:48 pm |