April 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/03/09

Tonight on AC360°, new details on the shooting rampage in Binghamton, New York. Plus, is it missile test or a just a communications satellite? Why North Korea has the world on edge tonight. And, Iowa's Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage ruling during the commercials. Do you agree with the justices decision in Iowa? Sound off below. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Maina

Hi,
    I do not see why a sovereign country should bend their own laws just because of celebrity status of Madonna.The intentions are good but she needs to respect the law.
    Why not think of programs that would alleviate poverty for the majority of such kids than trying to break the law.She can focus on such.

April 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not a fan of either look.

April 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Minou, New York City

I looove Carla Bruni's grey dress!!!

April 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Christine

Regarding Madonna trying to adopt, why does nobody feel it is relevant to mention the little girl's grandmother, who is opposed to her being adopted? If this were in any other country, that fact would be reported constantly and considered quite important. Could you imagine if she wanted to take an American girl away from her biological grandmother?

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Isabel

Normally I like the clothes of the first lady Michelle, but I think that this time she was unhappy.

While First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy was very elegant.

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  6. May-Tennessee

Evening to everyone...I'm late again. So very tragic to hear about the shootings in NY...my deepest thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  7. starr formerly known as vincent

@Rikki N.D Fargo

I agree with you completely about the Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae bonuses.....will the NEVER learn? i fear not.

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Sam M.

Why did the lady say Madonna's adoption is not going to help their agency when the point is to help the little girl?

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Better late than never! Good evening bloggers!

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. KarenT

@Lori...you are correct about the unemployment numbers. Even if the market continues to go up, unemployment should continue to go up for many more months before things turn around.

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sleepless in Germany,do you have problems with the jetlag.you look verry tired.is it your last night in London?,why you didnt visit Germany ? Its a verry nice country,i think your presisident now after viseted us know this.That makes me verry sad,?so safe go back to N.Y.
    I am verry sorry for the peope in Binghamton.when will this killing ever stopps.
    A verry good night and weekend,take some rest,hardworkers need to rest(dod you ever sleep?)

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Max

I thought America was the land of the free? Let people love and live and marry whoever they choose. Whatever two responsible adults choose to do as long as it doesn't infringe on anybody elses rights is their business. People need to mind their own business and stop thinking they have the right to judge others!

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Emma

I don't understand why the protestors would oppose the adoption. I understand there are rules and even Madonna has to abide by them. However, do these people think that it's better for these kids to grow up in an orphanage?

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  14. ericacnn

@Peggy – it must be a very strange feeling to be so close to such a tragic event. Are you and your neighbors talking about it with one another?

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think we just need leave Madonna alone. Yeah there are millions of children living in poverty and Madonna adopting this one child isn't going to change that...but it will make a difference in the life of the child she wants to bring home and give a better life to. And maybe seeing more celebs adopting from other countries will inspire other people to do the same and give more children a chance at a better life.

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Since when does Madonna take "no" for an answer? That just wouldn't be her style. Madonna has made a living out of creating controversy and ultimately getting her way. She wouldn't take up an entire subset of academic feminist studies were she not influential. My gut tells me that Madonna will get that kid, whether or not anyone, including the government, approves.

April 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo David G…
    I agree with you……. It is so sad, somber day in NY…… my heart felt numb right now………

April 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Sabrina

@ JoAnn – Please give examples of how Obama is trashing America. I have never heard Obama trash America. Admitting ones faults is not trashing. He is making a point about America and its relationships with the rest of the world and how both parties share responsibility. I love the honesty!

April 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hi Anderson, Erika and bloggers,

Can't stay-gotta go-just dropping by to say hi. What a terrible day in New York. I just don't understand it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Kathy, Chicago

I don't think that I would have ever wanted Madonna to raise my children either. Maybe they are smarter than most adoption agencies!

April 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I have to say that I loved Michelle's outfit. I loved the mix of black and pink, especially on the dress underneath the coat.

April 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Maren in Oregon

At 4 years of age the child has alrfeady "bonded" with her culture in Malawi. An infant may be a different story, but I think the age of the child makes a real difference.

April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Isabel, I agree, a center for immigrants, with classrooms, programs to help w learning languages, is a hopeful and happy place usually quite sad.

Maybe if there were more "Demi Moore's" saving people that would help. The person she helped contacted her on twitter though.

April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Rafael Bronx,NY

Why can't Madonna just take No for an answer. I think that's sad that a rich women from another country just go into a country like Malawi and just adopt any children. I agree with the judge No is the best answer for Madonna.

April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@Jacqueline, NY

Yes, we both have the same thought with Obama. He has a long road in front of him to replace the mess Bush caused. He will succeed. He has class, intelligence and Michelle 🙂

April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Jana, Indiana

Good night Anderson and all bloggers.

Sad day today, but Andeson, you have done a great job the last 3 night covering the G-20 Summit. Enjoyed your light heated moments with Richard Quest. Hope we see more of him.

Have a safe trip home.

April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

Hi Mr Gergen:
    it's my understanding that France and Germany want strict new regulations for the banks BEFORE they hand them the money. I'm siding with them on that!
    Apart from that, the President did well. He connected. By admitting the arrogance this superpower under the Bush administration (and other admins) had exuded, he facilitated the healing process. Americans are not very good at looking at their foreign policies with honest eyes. I'm glad he admitted to the arrogance at least.

April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Isabel

Does the girl have a better opportunity than to have Madonna as a mother?

April 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Lori from IL

@ David Gergen - while the unemployment numbers are rising - I think this has been expected - and will continue for some months, unfortunately.

What we need to remember is that while the unemployment rate is at 8.5% - that means 91.5% are employed.

April 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Cristy Kirssin

@David,

Thanks Gergen! I like your analysis. Your rite, they are intrexibly tied together, Obama's public relations and image making overseas and here, and the economy, at first I wasn't so sure if I was buying "the Obama effect" and its' direct impact on the economy but now I think the glimmers are related to it after seeing this visit to London and some of the increases we've been seeing these last few days...

April 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Maren in Oregon

"Marriage" is a legal construct developed by societies to codify the valid public purpose of having families to raise children. That it has attracted layer upon layer of religious and civil ceremony is a sideshow. If legal benefits accrue to this institution, then all who love and seek to join each other in committment should be able to avail themselves of those selfsame benefits – including gay and lesbian partners. Iowa apparently figured that out. Thank you.

April 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Sam M.

@David Gergen
    Yes, I'm feeling happy about the, hopefully, new relations with other countries. It seemed successful and I hope that the renewed confidence comes back with better decision making. Like you said, he needs to "keep the pressure on".

April 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@David G. – Good evening! Glad to see you on the blog. As usual, I agree strongly with your appraisal of the President's European trip and the need for continued pressure from him to put the economy on stronger footing. As has been made clearly apparent, the Republicans have little to no interest in aiding the President in his efforts, making the challenge that much greater than it already is.

April 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Peggy

I live in the Greater Binghamton area and what happened today is a tragedy. I also feel that this type of violence will continue until we realize that control of guns (all types) is necessary. How many more people must die for this nation to move away from the "old west" image?

April 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

@Rester Goaliati

I appreciate your country's laws and position on the matter of adoption.

However, should those laws condem this little girl from a better life with Madonna. Now she is likely to be an orpah for life with little chance for education, healthcare, etc.

I feel very sad that the little girl has to suffer the laws of Malawi.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Rafael Bronx,NY

Hey Anderson,Erica, and my fellow bloogers.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

@Cristy

The US Constitution doesn't say *anything* about marriage being between a man and a woman. I'm afraid you're mistaken on that one.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. KarenT

Making the fashion of the two first ladies a competition is ridiculous. They both looked gorgeous and there is so much more to these women than fashion.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Heather - Spokane, WA

Congratulations to everyone in Iowa. This shows that we are on the right track to equality even though we still have a long way to go.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Lori from IL

@ Steve in State College, PA - then why does the court house issue a "Marriage License" which is the legal document for marriage.

Why are we getting so hung up on a word - and I'm a heterosexual, christian - two people who want to committ to each other for life in a ceremony should have the same rights, be it male/female, male/male or female/female. Let's leave the judging to God. He's the one who said, "judge not, lest ye be judged."

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Lauren--NY

I just saw my college pastor on CNN. This is just *odd*. It definitely hasn't sunk in yet.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Steve in State College, PA

Fashion? Is this really how we are judging the First Lady. This kind of coverage is insulting to both the viewers and the women.

April 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Isabel

@ David Gergen

The unemployment rate came in line with expectations, but the detailed analysis of the indicator displeased the market and turned down scholarships.

April 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Motive could be as simple as (( desperation )) and the inability to cope.

April 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Sabrina

@Gergen- I disagree, President Obama is new on the stage this Afgan war has been going on for years with poor direction from the Bush administration. These leaders have sent many men and women into this war and many have died. Sending more troops is a huge risk with their own people due to this war being so poorly run. This is why the town hall President Obama did today was so important. He knows that he has to sell his plan not only to the leaders but also to the people. This is a huge mess.

April 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Something needs to be done about these guns. They are too available.

April 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Jacqueline, NY

@ Dodie, thank you. Well said.

April 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Miss J

I also think the President did well on his trip to Europe, David Gergen. I'm sure Malia and Sasha miss their parents so much though. You have a great weekend too.

April 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Isabel

The loss of someone is a moment in life that should not exist.
    The pain that is within us, follow us until to the end, some days more, other days less. This pain puts to the test our will to survive.

April 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Brandi - bottom of the boot

actually, the definition of marriage is a legal union between a man and a woman, the man and woman portion born of religion, while the other portion of the definition is based in law.

hence, separation of church and state, the law itself is an oxymoron.

biblical marriage was a spiritual union, not a legally binding one like the one that exists today.

April 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |