April 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/03/09

Tonight on AC360°, new details on the shooting rampage in Binghamton, New York. Plus, is it missile test or a just a communications satellite? Why North Korea has the world on edge tonight. And, Iowa's Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage ruling during the commercials. Do you agree with the justices decision in Iowa? Sound off below. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Irsyad Ediwan

Good Evening Anderson!
    Iowa has done it, it's only about time when the rest of America will legalize same sex marriage...Congratulations to all the newlyweds in Iowa

April 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Isabel

Events like this lead the society to a strong situation of insecurity, terror, anguish.

April 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What happened in Binghamton was a cowardly move. We can not let the economy get the best of us.

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ David Gergen

Good evening...

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Shehan Jayawardena, Milwaukee, WI

I just moved to Wisconsin (which neibhors Iowa) from Connecticut... Looks like the Midwest isn't as red as I thought it was....

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Cristy Kirssin

If Madonna wants to help a child in need, she will find a way to help someone else that will allow it, despite what Malawai did. I think she should be "commended" and not the source of criticism by fellow Americans that laugh at her "celebrity status". Why do we judge famous people doing good things?

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. vanessa from silver spring, MD

David G. I think POTUS and FLOTUS had a wonderful trip this week. I am so proud to call them my First Family.

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. jane MI

Good evening everyone,

So terrible to hear of more acts of horrible violence in NY...AL, Calif, Mexico, nsg home, and now this senselessness...What are the stats on this type of violence(US) last year compared to now?

Deepest sympathies to all family/friends affected by this tragedy

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Peggy

I grew up in Binghamton an this is the first in 62 yrs that anything so tragic has happened ....my heart an prayers go out to victims, families,and survivors. Never did I think it would happen in my town, but i was wrong.

April 3, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. KarenT

@JoAnn....I think you may want to go back and listen to the entire clip. He was not trashing the U.S. While we don't know the total impact of the Summit, we do know that the attitude about Obama is a total reversal of their attitude toward Bush and there is much hope around the world again.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Jacqueline, NY

Oye, North Korea. However are we to deal with them? They don't seem to want to work with anyone on peace and harmony. They seem so stern on being big and bad. Not a good sign.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Wow, someone actually said "no" to a celebrity! I wonder how Madonna will live with defeat? She will probably use all her money to fight it because some of these celebrities think they are "entitled" to whatever they want.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Rester Goliati

Am writting from Malawi, a country where Madonna wants to adopt. The adoption laws are clear, 'no adopting if you have not stayed here for 18 months'. We should not bend the rules just because its Madonna, I'll not be suprised if the court of appeal upholds the hih court ruling.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Jacqueline, NY

absolutely! He is not running a popularity contest. He seems to be trying to let others know that the USA is willing to join the world. If other countries like him... they will soon like us. It is not important if we are popular as a country, what is important is that we can negotiate with other countries for the benefit of all....

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

Annie and Taylor, let me add my thoughts and prayers to those of others on this blog and I wish you, your families and the whole city peace and comfort during this heartwrenching time.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Art Reno

As a Binghamton resident, the real tragedy is that 14 people left home today and didn't give a thought of not returning. Please let your family know you love them every single day. The shooting which occurred in my town will live with me, as well as with the rest of my community, for many years. Your thoughts and prayers for us are appreciated. Binghamton will endure.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Karen C

Umm, I don't think the Constitution says one thing specifically about marriage being between a man and a woman.

April 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Lauren--NY

I am a huge fan of Soledad O'Brien's and am very happy that we will be getting a special from her this weekend.

April 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Emma

Good for Iowa! I have to say I was surprised when I first heard about it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Lori – Amen to that! I was very surprised by the decision, which I just found out about very recently. I've often wondered how gay marriage affects the "institution of marriage" as opponents claim. Seems to me divorce is what they should be after. 😉

April 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Rikki, Fargo, ND

More Bail out bonuses? Don't these people every learn?

I am very much looking forward to Soledad O'Brien's documentary on the King Assassination this weekend!

April 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with defense of Secretary Gates want weapons have to cut right now.... finally!

April 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Nattada, Houston TX

I am happy for gay couples in Iowa. Good for them. Hope there will not be any change later like what happened in California.

@ Dulcie – Denver..I with you on your comments.

April 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Jen

Congratulations Iowa and thank you for doing the right thing!

April 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Courtney

good for iowa. nice to know there are indeed some large masses of people in our country who retain some stinkin' common sense.

April 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Isabel

How we would be much happier if they had more "Demi Moore's" saving people desperate.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Jacqueline, NY

@Erica, you a right. This is a somber Friday. It being Friday, it should be SAMBA Friday.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Somber day in New York.

Not sure how you feel about President Obama's trip to Europe so far, but my sense, as I said, is that he has done an excellent job in setting a new tone in U.S. relations overseas, even as he runs into continuing resistance from France, Germany and others on some key policy issues. Today's terrible unemployment numbers underscore that even as the stock market has risen, the hole in the economy is still deepening. That's why the President needs to keep the pressure on to put the economy on stronger footing. Have a great weekend!

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Lydia

sad day in Binghamton work next door to American Civic. great organization for immigrants and americans. killer blocked back door as it was the only other exit.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Miranda Huntington Beach, CA

Anderson

I believe in equal rights for all, yet who's agenda Anderson.

Miranda

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Steve in State College, PA

@lori: Marriage comes from religion, so using the word marriage in any government law is against the separation of church and state. The state/federal government should only recognize civil unions (for everyone), what people decide to do in a church is up to them.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Miss J

I don't know why they won't let Madonna adopt the little girl who is living in an orphanage. I hope they reverse the decision.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Minou, New York City, I respect your opinion, but I do not trust Obama, he has been less than truthful on a number of occasions.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Brandi - bottom of the boot

gay marriage - totally uncomplicated matter.

April 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Maren in Oregon

When ALL people, have ALL rights to which ALL people are entitled, then the job will be done. Bravo Iowa!

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Deborah in Blue Springs, MO

A wedding ceremony is the time to celebrate your religious preference and share the event with friends and family.

Legally, however, a couple is not considered officially married until the signed marriage certificate is mailed to the county and state registrars.

Therefore, religion is not the issue. The law is the issue.
    If two men or two women choose to enter into this legal status – marriage – they should be allowed to.

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Johnny, KY

Also– I cried this morning, hearing this. We're on the road to equality, everyone!

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Lori from IL

Change can be effected in the heartland - not just on the coasts!

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Dulcie - Denver

I'm very proud of President Obama's representation of the USA. I think his message is very apt and strikes an excellent balance. Taking responsibility for what America may have done wrong as well as putting some responsibility on Europe as well, but not doing it unkindly.

While we may be somewhat disappointed in the concrete results of this trip, I think the President has built a huge amount of goodwill towards the US.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Hassan Sherir

It isn't a surprise this fellow murder people. Guns in the hands of the wrong owners the problem! Protect the Second AMEND but also protect our people for which we pay taxes to GOv't.

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Cristy Kirssin

Look, I don't care, There is a diffrence between same sex couples and heterosexual couples, the diffrence is this: the Constitution said marriage is b/w a man and woman!

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Nellie

I feel very sad about the shootings. My thoughts go out to the families of the people who died and got hurt. They really didn't deserve it. It is not easy to get to that stage when you receive your citizenship. And being killed at that point- when you just hoped that now your American dream would come true...

Immigration process can be a pain. I personally had to be separated from my husband and I had to go back to my home country (which was in the "travel warning" list of the state department) with my 9 month old (US citizen) daughter for 2 years while my husband stayed here. It took USCIS 4 years to decide on my case, which wasn't a complicated one. I am back now with my husband and daughter, but my daughter doesn't speak the language yet and here they are: father and daughter who don't speak each other's language and separation wasn't our choice. I have to wait for another 3 years before I can even apply for citizenship... So, do you now understand what some of those who got killed today might have gone through.........

April 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Fay - California

Iowa made the right decision – it's unfortunate that California took a step in the wrong direction by rejecting gay marriage. Congratulations to all of the same sex couples in Iowa who can now marry.

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Dwayne Tetterton

Who Cares! with the problems in the world let gays do what they want and shut up about it!

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Jacqueline, NY

@Beth. I don't think that's what the president is doing. My thought is that president Obama is trying to convey to the world that there will be no more bullying from us while he is office. He is trying to be more diplomatic than what has been displayed for the past eight years.

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Karen T, We don't know what real impact, if any, Obama has made because nothing coming out of the Summit is written in stone. Nevertheless, he should not be trying to save the reputation of the US by trashing it.

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its strange but I sometimes feel that the U.S is the only country fighting in this war. I know we have other militaries from Europe and Australia there helping, but when I hear that other countries are blaming us for the war its hard not to think that. Im just happy that we have a president who is willing to be blunt and say that this war involves everyone and not just us.

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Isabel

Gay marriage – complicated matter!

April 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Johnny, KY

I'm so proud of Iowa!!
    No longer can the Conservatives claim that same-sex marriage is for the east and west coasts only.

April 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. KarenT

@Vickie and Beth.

Vickie...I was about to post the same thing.

April 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |