April 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/03/09

Tonight on AC360°, new details on the shooting rampage in Binghamton, New York. Plus, is it missile test or a just a communications satellite? Why North Korea has the world on edge tonight. And, Iowa's Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the same-sex marriage ruling during the commercials. Do you agree with the justices decision in Iowa? Sound off below. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Paul Milberg

How many Binghamtons, Blacksburgs, Paducahs, Columbines, Lincolns, Garfields, McKinleys, JFKs, Martin Luther Kings and tens of thousands of other Americans will it take before we revise the second Amendment.

April 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am so proud of our President and First Lady...I think they are doing a wonderful job of changing the image of America overseas! 🙂

April 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Justin Continuum Q5

Go Iowa lead the way all will follow!
    Q5

April 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

Jo Ann:
    he's a pragmatist and a politician. It's his job to win ppl over to get his policies done. He's smart and for as long as he doesn't lie like the Bush administration I'm supportive.

April 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Lori from IL

Yeah, David Gergen - I agree that this trip should be a confidence booster for President Obama. I have been very proud of our president and First Lady Michelle on their first overseas trip....

Yeah to Iowa for recognizing the separation of church and state.

April 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

Michael and Andrew from Binghamton, I can't imagine entirely what you are going through, but know it would be shocking and very sad, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your city.

April 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Cristy Kirssin

The French President's wife is beautiful!!! She looks like a beauty queen! Super elegant.

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  8. JOHN LINDFIELD

Hi Anderson, I Love your show , Q- how did a guy with all these weapons get into a Govt,run building in the first place ? I mean ,if you go into any Govt,building there is a screening area and Armed guards,so how did this guy evade scrutiny ?????? Thanks ,John

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Lauren--NY

I'm very thrilled by Iowa's decision. Nice to have such an incredible bright spot on such a somber day as this.

40 states have legislation banning same-sex marriage, though...we have a long way to go.

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  10. starr formerly known as vincent

congratulations Iowa!! and Vermont State House (who also passed a bill to legalized gay marriage).

Equal rights to all!!

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Nattada, Houston TX

President Obama was doing good with the Town Hall Meeting in France. He knows where he stands and seems to know what he was talking about. Michelle Obama looked nice as always.

Good evening David Gergen. Love to hear your point of view. I agree with you that he was not tough enough in the meeting. He could show them more that he was really in charge.

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Fay - California

It is gratifying to see President Obama receive such a warm reaction on his European visit – it's quite a remarkable change from the reputation of the last administration, hopefully America's standing will improve over the next few years.

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Miss J

I never knew Iowa was 1 of the states in the forefront of making gay marriage legal. That's great news.

April 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Vickie

@Beth

I thought Obama said WE ALL share responsibility. Both America and Europe????????

April 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Great decision in Iowa, now it is time for the rest of the country to get on board!

April 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Dodie from Irvine, CA

It is really nice to see our president finally willing to join the world instead of being arrogant! What a breath of fresh air...

April 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. KarenT

Thanks Chris.

@Jo Ann...we now live in a global world. We need the rest of the world and they need us. Our image outside of the U.S. has been tarnished and Obama in the matter of just a few days has made a huge impact on turning that around. He is so much more than "his image".

April 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Courtney

the change i believe obama has always mostly referred to, is the change of intention. he may do something that prior administrations have done, but his intentions are likely not even close to the same.

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I don't agree with David Gergen. We should not "push" ourselves on other countries. That is what W did.

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Melissa, Minneapolis, MN

As someone who was born and raised in Iowa, I've never been more proud of my home state than I am today because of the Iowa Supreme Court ruling that made gay marriage legal!!! Many thanks to all of the lawyers, judges and legislators that made today's ruling possible. As an attorney myself, I'm very pleased that the justices of the Iowa Supreme Court used sound legal reasoning to rule on this matter. Now all of my gay and lesbian friends in Iowa can FINALLY get legally married and for that I'm happy and thankful!

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Letitia

When it comes to human rights,they should never be put to a vote (like what happened in CA).we would still have slavery, or Jim Crow, No voting rights for minorities or women. When it comes to human rights, it is the courts' job to make sure they happen–not put it up to a vote.

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Karen C

I think that you have to create relationships before you can persuade people to do things for you. Does that ever happen right of the bat in these international situations with world leaders? I mean, these countries are in much better situations than they once were and we don't have the same "big hill" we once did. I would be interested to hear Mr. Gergen's take on this.

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

What a great trip for the U.S. Our President and First Lady were amazing.
    Yes Karen T,
    They are! awesome couples!

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Miranda Huntington Beach, CA

I love you David Gergen-Always so calm and articulate.

Miranda

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Sam M.

@ David Gergen,
    Good point about this being a confidence booster.

April 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Rester Goliati

Missile or Communication satelite? search me! If it is a missile then God save us, the weapon is in the wrong hands!

April 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Lori from IL

@ Zach - yes, it will take time for the shock of the event to fade for you. I'm sure your community will hold several services and vigils - and other communities will reach out to you - I recommend attending a service or vigil - it helps the healing begin.

April 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Isabel

President Obama should be the most popular man in the world. All nations clap for him.

April 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Cristy Kirssin

I wonder if Obama will be able to sustain his energy, stamina, etc. He has been doing so much so soon. I hope he dosen't burn out...

April 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Katie

As a resident of Binghamton, it pains me to think that the world now knows our beautiful city because of this. Just a few weeks ago, Binghamton University entered the NCAA tournament for the first time.
    The last time that Binghamton made the national news was a back in 2006 when the city was taken over by the flood.

Please keep our neighbors in your prayers. It's been a trying day for many of us here trying to understand why this happened in our beautiful little city.

April 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Minou, New York City

I watched the town hall meeting. He's just an amazing speaker. He can connect to the crowd and just be himself..not everybody can do that.

April 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. beth

If Obama is going to blame America and continue to speak as he does of our country- then he should do it here in American. Not in another country! I believe he craves adoration and will throw our country under the bus if that will accomplish his goal. I bet the Russians were falling off their seats laughing when they were alone, after the arms discussion with him.

April 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Dulcie - Denver

@Zach, Andrew and others from or near Binghamton. My thoughts are with your and your community, families and everyone touched by this tragedy. I'm so very sorry.

April 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can't get past the feeling that Obama is pandering to the Europeans in order to hold onto his popularity. I don't think he would do or say anything that would put that in jeopardy.

April 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Maren in Oregon

Wow! Everytime that man opens his mouth, he underscores why we are the smartest people around: We voted for him!

April 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Annie & Taylor,
    My prayers and thoughts with you……. I am shocked and sad for you and your friends love lost ones…… I hope all will be change your life. Thank you coming on AC live blog tonight

April 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Karen – I've been extremely impressed by the President and First Lady's ability to reshape our image abroad. It is much needed.

April 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Lydia Feliciano

It has been a very sad day here in Binghamton! I work next door to the American Civic Association. It is an organization that not only helps the immigrants but helps the community at large by holding craft fairs and things that bring us together. May your thoughts and prayers be with us.

April 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Mitch S. California

The media really ought to get the word-out, taking other Souls with you is a cowardly way to commit suicide. Needless murder, so one can feel better about killing themselves is surly a one-way ticket to hell.

The FBI and psychologists give the media "text-book" opinions as to why this happened, and needless rampages such as today continue.

I think the shooters decision to go on his stupid rampage was a sure way for him to commit suicide, by first committing mass murder. Now he has screwed up his life to the point of no return, and thereby had to commit suicide because he was too chicken to kill himself without first committing mass murder.

April 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Isabel

I hope President Obama does not regret never ... lol ...

April 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. gloria moy

I am saddened by this massacre in Binghamton. When is all this killing going to stop. It seems that springtime brings out these individuals who commit these massacres. Columbine, Virginia Tech, and now this...its all in the springtime. Please we need to change the laws for obtaining guns, so that its harder to buy guns and ammunition. Guns should not be easily accessible either in person or from the internet.

We need peace, and we need a safer place for our families. May God be with those families affected by this senseless act of violence.

April 3, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. robert

north korea should be able to launch a satellite without bullying and retaliation from the us or any country. they have a right to exercise their technology like any other country

April 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Barbara in Boston

About people who kill others before killing themselves ... not all suicides stem from depression. Some come from anger, intense rage coupled with overwhelming hopelessness. That mindset becomes a frankly delusional state.

April 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Isabel

The meeting at the border between France and Germany was a new test for the foreign policy adopted by the government Obama, which has yielded good progress during the passage through London.

April 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  45. KarenT

What a great trip for the U.S. Our President and First Lady were amazing.

April 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. starr formerly known as vincent

Our President did us proud today! He was absolutely Electric! It is such a relief to have an American president who can represent us overseas as intelligent, caring people (&his honesty is absolutely fantastic – and true.!

The questions that he was asked were also excellent!

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ Heather – Detroit, MI

Beautifully stated. Yes I am happy to see that Iowa has taken a step toward equality.... I only wish California would have done that too

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Minou, New York City

President Obama sounds too much like Bush when he talks about Al Qaeda! That's frightening..

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Emma

@Heather, I agree. It seems like every time there's a shooting people always say the gunman was quiet, kept to himself, etc.

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica, I have to agree with you on the Twitter/Facebook thing. Its absolutely amazing how fast we can be in contact with people in other countries. It just doesn't matter how many miles away somebody is, in this world of technology they can be at our fingertips.

April 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |